Chicago White Sox's Jermaine Dye appeals 2-game suspension

White Sox right fielder Jermaine Dye appealed his two-game suspension and undisclosed fine without looking at a television replay that showed him spiking his helmet, which struck umpire Mike DiMuro. Full Story
DrCrawdad

Naperville, IL

#1 May 15, 2009
I'm a HUGE Sox fan, but unlike fans of another local baseball team I won't be an apologist. Dye tossed his helmet in the direction of the ump. It hit the ump. Intent is not as much the issue but hitting the ump is.

Take the suspension, Dye, you deserve it.
100 Years of Futility

Las Vegas, NV

#2 May 16, 2009
It will probably be reduced to one game...But two seems fair to me. You don't throw your equipment anywhere near the umpire.
Ken Kernagis

Farmington, NM

#3 May 16, 2009
I need contact info for the sox, I can help these guys get out of their slumps, 20 min, guaranteed.

Since: Mar 09

Wheaton Illinois

#4 May 16, 2009
Dye should not of spiked his helmet so close to where the umpire was. He should not of spiked the helmet at all. It was a stupid rookie mistake.

Should he pay for it, yes he should. Too bad the SOX are going to end up paying for it too, in the form of him being suspended. A 2 game suspension is a bit harsh, it should be a 1 game but a he should be given larger fine, which should not be reduced.

Suspension time should be able to be reduced in some incidents but not all, but not the fine amounts. That is where the major component of the punishment should apply.

This season seems to be the season of futility for the SOX. No matter what they do it seems to backfire or go wrong.

Almost like the are caught in quicksand. The harder the struggle the faster they re sinking.

It seems like they should in a manner of speaking step back take a deep breath and try again. Constant pressing in not always the answer.

I know the majority of the fans that will disagree with me, however if pressing is not working then stepping back and taking that proverbial breath could not hurt.

Stupid mistakes are costing the SOX big time right now, not to mention the break down of the starting pitching.

Good thing it is early in the season otherwise it would not bode well of the SOX'S chances. if they do not shake this spell they are in soon, it may be too late.

jmho
T E Culligan

Daytona Beach, FL

#5 May 16, 2009
H E L P ...Please, somebody!!!!!!!!!!
Chris R

Pineville, KY

#6 May 16, 2009
Yes, he should just take the suspension. He threw his helmet behind him without looking and it hit the ump. He never threw it at the ground as he claims. I really like the guy but this is open and shut as far as the evidence goes. Two games is right.
Jay Mariotti

Jacksonville, FL

#7 May 16, 2009
This team sucks SO bad...so much so that they just ought to finally pull the plug on this Triple A ensemble and move to Nashville or Las Vegas. At least there they could hoodwink the locals into thinking they were getting Major League baseball for a year or 2 until the truth becomes obvious. Face the facts, the only pro baseball team playing like one is on the North side.
KEVIN JACOBSON

Cape Coral, FL

#8 May 16, 2009
WILL THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS EVER END FOR THE SOX AND THEIR FANS??? THIS IS YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF A VERY VERY VERY VERY LONG SEASON FOR THE SOX AND THEIR FANS
Dennis Green

Frankfort, IL

#10 May 16, 2009
The SOX are who we thought they are. They SUCK.
Rich G

Carol Stream, IL

#11 May 16, 2009
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
The only team playing like a pro team is on the North Side? What!? The ignorance of Cubs fans is astonishing. 2005. Win a World Series and then come and talk. Better yet--win a playoff game.
Every year that goes by that '2005' rejoinder becomes more pathetic.

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

#12 May 16, 2009
Dennis Green wrote:
The SOX are who we thought they are. They SUCK.
So who have the Cubs been for the last 100 years? Oh, that's right, they've been nobody.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hopes fade for Michael Schumacher (Mar '14) 2 hr Milla 12
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 2 hr Trojan 28,494
Was Adrian Peterson wrong to punish his child w... 3 hr watchman 824
Free Agent Target: Gaby Sanchez 5 hr johnnyj 1
Are the Dolphins the new favorite to win AFC East? 5 hr Rossturbates 297
2014 NFL mock draft: Vikings select Teddy Bridg... (Apr '14) 12 hr The Fart Father 15
El Paso fighter Joel Garcia signs key promotion... (Mar '11) 16 hr gperz 11
More from around the web