Lions feast on powerless Packers in Thanksgiving triumph

Nov 28, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Detroit News

Once they figured out how to get out of their own way, they made relatively short work of the Aaron Rodgers-less Green Bay Packers, beating them 40-10 for their first Thanksgiving Day win since 2003.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of72
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Reggie 5-6-1

Locust Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

In a nutshell- offense sucked, defense sucked, capers sucked(as usual), mccarthy's play calling sucked.
GB sucked = loss
eric

Verona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

Judged:

I dont see how in hell Capers can have a job after this year,same goes for Shawn Slocum the Special Teams coach.
4 games left,,Time to see if the team has any pride nad will play the rest of the schedule out and maybe win a few of them.Jimmy Johnson ( post game show) mentions that GB can win 9 games and has a shot at a Wild Card spot i guess its possible but i fiqured a 10 win season is needed for a Playoff spot ( good chance the winner of the NFC North and East will win the div with 9 but)IF your thinking Div,its over unless Det collapses since Det is 1 1/2 games up and a better div. record,SO whats the chances of GB winning the last 4 and Det going 2-2? and Chicago is in the mix ( although,they arent much better then GB either with all their injuries,) SO if Chicago loses to Minn Sunday,then this is pretty much Det div. to lose.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Since: Feb 08

Craigville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2013

eric wrote:
I dont see how in hell Capers can have a job after this year,same goes for Shawn Slocum the Special Teams coach.
4 games left,,Time to see if the team has any pride nad will play the rest of the schedule out and maybe win a few of them.Jimmy Johnson ( post game show) mentions that GB can win 9 games and has a shot at a Wild Card spot i guess its possible but i fiqured a 10 win season is needed for a Playoff spot ( good chance the winner of the NFC North and East will win the div with 9 but)IF your thinking Div,its over unless Det collapses since Det is 1 1/2 games up and a better div. record,SO whats the chances of GB winning the last 4 and Det going 2-2? and Chicago is in the mix ( although,they arent much better then GB either with all their injuries,) SO if Chicago loses to Minn Sunday,then this is pretty much Det div. to lose.
The way Detroit was giving the ball away early, I thought sure GB would find a way to win.
The sad truth is that GB is really no better then Minnesota right now, and we have much documentation from our gb fans on just how bad the Vikings are this year.
You always stay respectful Eric, but some of those others deserve the same as they so gleefully dished out back when they thought they had a decent team. With the shoe on the other foot, they can just wait it out.
normallylikeyell ow

Julian, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Pretty spot on 40. Rodgers is covering up alot. I mean, you can blame Capers, but honestly, when they solved their defensive problems by drafting Datone Jones (nonfactor), Micah Hyde (encouraging), Josh Boyd (5 games, 0 tackles), Nate Palmer (special teams), and Sam Barrington (IR), you could hardly expect an improvement on last year. I was watching the Steelers and Ravens last night and was envious of the tackling. AJ Hawk and Morgan Burnett make practically every tackle out there for us. In a 3-4, the D line is supposed to eat up blockers so the LBs can make plays. Where are the other guys? When I compare our emphasis on playmakers on offense to the defense, it's no wonder we can't stop anybody. We've got a bargain defense with one star player and two steady tacklers.
eric

Verona, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
The way Detroit was giving the ball away early, I thought sure GB would find a way to win.
The sad truth is that GB is really no better then Minnesota right now, and we have much documentation from our gb fans on just how bad the Vikings are this year.
You always stay respectful Eric, but some of those others deserve the same as they so gleefully dished out back when they thought they had a decent team. With the shoe on the other foot, they can just wait it out.
I felt the same way for a while and they actually had the lead at one point ( amazing isnt it?_) but Det turned the ball over 4 times i think and GB still got beat badly?
Losing Aaron Rodgers sucks ( obviously) hes the best qb in the game ( and if this stretch does not prove his worth,theres no proving anything) BUT, no way losing 1 guy ( AR) can cause this much damage..YES,Rodgers covers alot of weaknesses as does many other great qbs.IF you really look at it,its bascially the same team that won the SB in 2010, went 15-1 in 2011,,won 2 straight div titles and the playoffs 4 years straight,which is why im looking at the Capers angle.The guy has a reputation of being a great Defensive mind ( he is to a point) and the GB defense and T.O. created in the past few years proves his defense was effective, this year,it seems the team isnt buying it so much,so IMHO,its time for Capers to go.
The injuries this year are mostly offense ( although losing a great corner/slot player like Casey Hayward all season,Clay Mathews for a few games should not hve made this defense as bad as its been playing the past several games now.YES<Hayward is a very good corner and it hurts,Mathews is terrific and sadly AJ Hawk is our Defensive MVP this year,he is making plays,tackles ect,,Mathews is doing very well and they lost Shields for a few games ( best corner) and considering hes back from injury just to cover C.J.( CJ 6 catches a bit over 100 yards) but nothing earth shattering,he did a respectable job,CJ will get his for sure. ITs run defense killing them.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

normallylikeyellow wrote:
Pretty spot on 40. Rodgers is covering up alot. I mean, you can blame Capers, but honestly, when they solved their defensive problems by drafting Datone Jones (nonfactor), Micah Hyde (encouraging), Josh Boyd (5 games, 0 tackles), Nate Palmer (special teams), and Sam Barrington (IR), you could hardly expect an improvement on last year. I was watching the Steelers and Ravens last night and was envious of the tackling. AJ Hawk and Morgan Burnett make practically every tackle out there for us. In a 3-4, the D line is supposed to eat up blockers so the LBs can make plays. Where are the other guys? When I compare our emphasis on playmakers on offense to the defense, it's no wonder we can't stop anybody. We've got a bargain defense with one star player and two steady tacklers.
Knock it off NLY, you are giving Packer fans a good name and we can't have that. Hawk has been a star on an underperforming unit as has Burnett, but what do you make of the yearly walking wounded Packer roster under MM? Does he get them to play beyond their ability, which makes them more prone to injury? It's as if Aaron was the curtain that the defense has been hiding behind, and now that he's prowling the sidelines, the defense has been exposed. Anyway, there is still a slim chance GB makes it to the post season, but it simply won't happen unless Aaron can get back on the field.
Rash decisions based on this year could have long lasting effects in GB. Starting to jettison coaches that have had a very successful run because of the teams current woes could compound the angst. We've had our share of incompetence at every level of the Vikings organization throughout our history, GB may be best served when looking at their coaches entire body of work while at GB, not just the current state of the team. Is a shakeup needed? Could be, and maybe just let the special teams coach go to send a message, or the conditioning coach. Both GB and Minnesota had relatively high expectations for this year, but now we're in the same canoe, with everyone paddling on one side.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

eric wrote:
<quoted text>I felt the same way for a while and they actually had the lead at one point ( amazing isnt it?_) but Det turned the ball over 4 times i think and GB still got beat badly?
Losing Aaron Rodgers sucks ( obviously) hes the best qb in the game ( and if this stretch does not prove his worth,theres no proving anything) BUT, no way losing 1 guy ( AR) can cause this much damage..YES,Rodgers covers alot of weaknesses as does many other great qbs.IF you really look at it,its bascially the same team that won the SB in 2010, went 15-1 in 2011,,won 2 straight div titles and the playoffs 4 years straight,which is why im looking at the Capers angle.The guy has a reputation of being a great Defensive mind ( he is to a point) and the GB defense and T.O. created in the past few years proves his defense was effective, this year,it seems the team isnt buying it so much,so IMHO,its time for Capers to go.
The injuries this year are mostly offense ( although losing a great corner/slot player like Casey Hayward all season,Clay Mathews for a few games should not hve made this defense as bad as its been playing the past several games now.YES<Hayward is a very good corner and it hurts,Mathews is terrific and sadly AJ Hawk is our Defensive MVP this year,he is making plays,tackles ect,,Mathews is doing very well and they lost Shields for a few games ( best corner) and considering hes back from injury just to cover C.J.( CJ 6 catches a bit over 100 yards) but nothing earth shattering,he did a respectable job,CJ will get his for sure. ITs run defense killing them.
We were heading out the door to attend Thanksgiving festivities right after Detroit turned it over for the third time, and GB had the lead. Saw the first drive where Detroit was gashing GB on the ground only to have Bush turn it over via Clay, but GB never could stop Detroit on this day.
Hope the rest of your Thanksgiving was of better cheer Eric.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it make you feel better when you lie to yourself? Everybody (except delusional Viking fans) knows the Packers were decent until the injuries piled up to a breaking point. The Vikings sucked from the very start of the season. Poor sad Viking fans. Their only hope for each season is to see the Packers faulter. Wouldn't it be nice once to actually be able to root for a team instead of against a team? Are the Packers sinking to the Viking level? Yeah! And you are right. That is extremely embarrassing. It's humiliating to be playing as poorly as the Vikings. ROFLMAO Do you people have any pride at all? Or has it all been beaten from you?
Eric 13

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

The headline says it all. The Buttpack is powerless without Rogers. Their defense is perhaps the worst in the NFL.
Eric 13

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it make you feel better when you lie to yourself? Everybody (except delusional Viking fans) knows the Packers were decent until the injuries piled up to a breaking point. The Vikings sucked from the very start of the season. Poor sad Viking fans. Their only hope for each season is to see the Packers faulter. Wouldn't it be nice once to actually be able to root for a team instead of against a team? Are the Packers sinking to the Viking level? Yeah! And you are right. That is extremely embarrassing. It's humiliating to be playing as poorly as the Vikings. ROFLMAO Do you people have any pride at all? Or has it all been beaten from you?
Must be sad for you. Your team could only manage a tie with the Vikings.
Eric 13

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

"GPP FAN" Whiiiine!

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Packers were decent with 'were' being the operative word.
Quit trying to beat us out of a higher draft pick.

“HHhhhoooowwwlll”

Craigville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

GBPfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Packers faulter.
Hmmmm
A new word made up just for your packers.
It has a neat ring to it, but you will have to submit it to the urban dictionary for approval.
Eric 13

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

40for60 wrote:
Have to disagree with you here 40. The Pack sucked. The defense was like a big pile of Swiss cheese. Just ask Toby Gerhart, who slashed through the Pack's "defense" at will.

“We've been Norv'ed”

Since: Nov 09

Erie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

Eric 13 wrote:
"GPP FAN" Whiiiine!
Hey check out the thread that has like 2,000 comments..........before GBP fans' beloved Packers' started mounting up injuries it was the Vikes that had a rash of early injuries to their secondary and his comment was that a team must prepare for injuries and the mark of a good team and coaching staff is to be able to withstand them..........now he is singing a totally different tune..........he truly lacks any depth and character not to mention courage as a human being..........POS..........
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Eric 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be sad for you. Your team could only manage a tie with the Vikings.
It was! Talk about a low point. The only thing that could make it worse is if the Packers only had 2 wins and were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs weeks ago. I'm sure YOU know what I mean!
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

40for60 wrote:
Sadly true! But I think you can rest assured. That draft position is safe.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

40for60 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm
A new word made up just for your packers.
It has a neat ring to it, but you will have to submit it to the urban dictionary for approval.
Thanks for pointing out the spelling error. I consider it a compliment that I make so few errors that you find the corrections worthwhile. Thanks! I may not be the world's best typist or proof reader, but I do care.

Should I mess with you? Perhaps one of these times I can write a comment like eric or EZG and let you try to point out all of those errors. I feel "special" that you do it only for me! ROFLMAO
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

erie-vike fan wrote:
<quoted text>Hey check out the thread that has like 2,000 comments..........before GBP fans' beloved Packers' started mounting up injuries it was the Vikes that had a rash of early injuries to their secondary and his comment was that a team must prepare for injuries and the mark of a good team and coaching staff is to be able to withstand them..........now he is singing a totally different tune..........he truly lacks any depth and character not to mention courage as a human being..........POS..........
I did say a team has to survive injuries. Didn't it count when I said it before? I not only said that, I also added that if a team doesn't survive the inevitable injuries they don't deserve to make the playoffs. When did I say anything different? Where did I "sing a different tune"? Are all Vikingg fans pathetic insecure POS lying losers? Or is it just you and EZG?
normallylikeyell ow

Julian, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2013

Judged:

To refute eric's point: if this was basically the team that won the SB, the reserves would have stepped in and played much better. It's the same scheme. The reserve guys just aren't as good. Learning a new defense isn't going to make these guys better. Just ask the Cowboys.
I agree that the annual injury list may require a look at the strength and conditioning program, however.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of72
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••