NBA Insider: To satisfy Kobe, Lakers face daunting offseason task

May 14, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sacramento Bee Newspaper

Last Updated 12:31 am PDT Sunday, May 13, 2007 Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C9 The words came with a certainty and a tone of defiance and were punctuated by a molten 1,000-mile stare so intense that ... via Sacramento Bee Newspaper

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of454
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
lakerpurple

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 14, 2007
 
Not only to satisfy Kobe, but to satisfy the fans who are tired of Kobe having to carry the load year after year. I am tired of hearing how Kobe needs to trust his team mates, how can you trust players that can't shoot. You need to find players with the same intensity and dedication as Kobe. It's called chemistry. Please bring back Jerry West.
TRACY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 14, 2007
 
AS A LAKER FAN FOREVER. I DO BELIEVE THINGS WILL HAPPEN THIS SUMMER. THEY NEED TO LISTEN TO SHOWTIME. HE HAS SOME REAL INSIGHT TO PLAYERS I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT. LIKE RASHARD LEWIS OF THE SONICS. IT WOULD WORK. ALL WE NEED IS ONE OR TWO MORE. OF COURSE PARKER IS GONE HOPEFULLY. HE JUST IS NOT A STARTING POINT GUARD. I DO BELIEVE IN THE FUTURE JORDAN F WILL BE A DARN GOOD ONE.
Show Time

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 14, 2007
 
TRACY wrote:
AS A LAKER FAN FOREVER. I DO BELIEVE THINGS WILL HAPPEN THIS SUMMER. THEY NEED TO LISTEN TO SHOWTIME. HE HAS SOME REAL INSIGHT TO PLAYERS I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT. LIKE RASHARD LEWIS OF THE SONICS. IT WOULD WORK. ALL WE NEED IS ONE OR TWO MORE. OF COURSE PARKER IS GONE HOPEFULLY. HE JUST IS NOT A STARTING POINT GUARD. I DO BELIEVE IN THE FUTURE JORDAN F WILL BE A DARN GOOD ONE.
Wow thank you im flattered but im just another fan making wild and crazy suggestions lol. im sure you been hearing the latest rumor for ron artest but a radio host I respect alot is totally against it cause this guy is a bad guy, the thing is no other team wants him and the lakers could possibly steal him for kwame brown, I think the lakers are in a situation where they have to take what they can get, I dont want to lose kobe because the lakers couldnt improve this team enough to get past the 1st round.
Ben

Bellingham, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 14, 2007
 
why would we not want artest? so he is a little rough around the edges. kobe needs another star player. its now or never. i say get artest.
lakers355s

San Clemente, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 15, 2007
 
lakerpurple wrote:
Not only to satisfy Kobe, but to satisfy the fans who are tired of Kobe having to carry the load year after year. I am tired of hearing how Kobe needs to trust his team mates, how can you trust players that can't shoot. You need to find players with the same intensity and dedication as Kobe. It's called chemistry. Please bring back Jerry West.
amen to that. last year's attempt at bringing talent in the form of radman was a bust. they need to do more. i'd like to kick kupchak to the curb and welcome jerry west back to the org. with open arms... if not as gm, then as a consult?

jerry may take a year off and then step back in as the lakers gm following the 07-08 season after cupcake gets booted...
Show Time

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 15, 2007
 
lakers355s wrote:
<quoted text>
amen to that. last year's attempt at bringing talent in the form of radman was a bust. they need to do more. i'd like to kick kupchak to the curb and welcome jerry west back to the org. with open arms... if not as gm, then as a consult?
jerry may take a year off and then step back in as the lakers gm following the 07-08 season after cupcake gets booted...
Kobe and phil wanted radman, but the front office has to step up and do something right, cupcake is basically the front office bitch, thats why they wont fire him, he probably has his own ideas but they just tell ask him do you really think that would work cause I dont think thats gonna work, and mitch probably says yeah ok maybe your right, its almost as if hes willing to do anything not to get fired cause he has no backbone, but we will see. Andrew Bynum if he turns out to be a good player the credit would go to jim buss not cupcake, this guy is just terrible at his job I dont know what they saw in him, I guess they thought jerry west is gonna teach this guy everything he knows and he will be fine. I get the feeling they dont fire him cause the last couple of decisions werent really made by mitch they kinda told him what they wanted done, weather it worked or not cupcake would just take blame for it and they cant really fire him cause it wasnt his doing, thats what I think is going on. Infact I think I remember hearing jerry buss backing up kobe saying that he wasnt the reason shaq left, it was a decision they all made, they knew shaq had to be traded after he demanded it, so that tells me it wasnt just mitch.
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 15, 2007
 
SHOWTIME FOR GM!! lol

u kno i actually didnt have a problem with the radman move! but he just hasnt been healthy all year pretty much! i think he will be better next year for sure, but remember he had a bad hand injury so he couldnt shoot properly, then he stuffed his shoulder!! so i was pissed off at him! but i think hes a much better player so i reakon he will come back much better.
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 15, 2007
 
Ben wrote:
why would we not want artest? so he is a little rough around the edges. kobe needs another star player. its now or never. i say get artest.
yeh ur right, we HAVE to get ron artest! one of my faves! we need him!
TRACY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 15, 2007
 
Show Time wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow thank you im flattered but im just another fan making wild and crazy suggestions lol. im sure you been hearing the latest rumor for ron artest but a radio host I respect alot is totally against it cause this guy is a bad guy, the thing is no other team wants him and the lakers could possibly steal him for kwame brown, I think the lakers are in a situation where they have to take what they can get, I dont want to lose kobe because the lakers couldnt improve this team enough to get past the 1st round.
A RARE FAN, ONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS THE GAME. MY HUBBY SAYS RON IS A HEADACHE WE DO NOT NEED, HE LIKES HIM BUT HE SAYS WE HAVE ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH. HE SAYS WE NEED SOME HUNGRY PLAYERS WHO WANT TO WIN AND KNOW THE GAME. YOU KNOW NOT EVERY PLAYER IS GOING TO HAVE KOBES IQ ON BASKETBALL, THATS WHAT BOTHERS ME ABOUT BYNUM, BUT THEN I THINK HOW LONG IT TOOK SHAQ TO KICK IN AND GET A RING. ABOUT EIGHT YEARS. WHAT DO WE DO. GOOOO LAKERS. NBA FOREVER
TRACY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 15, 2007
 
Kobe is 1 wrote:
SHOWTIME FOR GM!! lol
u kno i actually didnt have a problem with the radman move! but he just hasnt been healthy all year pretty much! i think he will be better next year for sure, but remember he had a bad hand injury so he couldnt shoot properly, then he stuffed his shoulder!! so i was pissed off at him! but i think hes a much better player so i reakon he will come back much better.
I THINK HE CAN PLAY ALOT BETTER, REMEMBER WHEN PHIL CALLED HIM A SPACE CADET. WELL I THINK HE DOES NOT KNOW OUR LANGUAGE VERY WELL AND WOULD AGREE WITH ANYTHING PHIL SAID. NOW THAT PHIL KNOWS DIFFERENT, WHEN HE GETS HEALTHY I THINK WE WILL SEE A GUY WHO CAN LEARN THE TRIANGLE AND WORK IT. JUST MY THOUGHTS THOUGH. I SOMETIMES LIKE THE LOOK OF MO EVANS, COULD HE BE CUTIVATED INTO THAT ONE PLAYER THAT CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. HE HAS THE HEART AND DRIVE, QUESTION THE TALENT. GOOO LAKERS
Show Time

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 15, 2007
 
Kobe is 1 wrote:
SHOWTIME FOR GM!! lol
u kno i actually didnt have a problem with the radman move! but he just hasnt been healthy all year pretty much! i think he will be better next year for sure, but remember he had a bad hand injury so he couldnt shoot properly, then he stuffed his shoulder!! so i was pissed off at him! but i think hes a much better player so i reakon he will come back much better.
You know what I get the feeling radman is gonna make us eat our words this coming year, its just a gut feeling, I compared radman to robert horry and I will tell you why...When horry came to the lakers for ceballos some fans liked it some didnt, I personally did like it cause I knew he was a hell of a 3pt shooter but one problem remained, all of a sudden his 3's were not going in, and he bulked up and became more of a defensive player and rebounder and that was about it, but we did notice when it came down to crunch time this guy delivered time after time and we of course now love the guy, I see that in radman I think he can rebound, he can move pretty well on his feet to play some D, and when it comes down to crucial moments hes gonna be a guy you dont want to leave open, I just have that feeling that hes probably the 2nd coming of horry, maybe not as good but we will see, one thing he does better than horry is drive it in for an easy layup.
Show Time

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 15, 2007
 
Kobe is 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
yeh ur right, we HAVE to get ron artest! one of my faves! we need him!
yeah, unless you can get kirilinko than I much rather have him, I was thinking how about moving odom back to small forward which I think fits him better and getting someone like PJ brown who is known for defense and has the outside shot, or slide turiaf in that power forward position, and just concentrate on getting J kidd, or a very good point guard, im just throwing that out there.
Show Time

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 15, 2007
 
TRACY wrote:
<quoted text>A RARE FAN, ONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS THE GAME. MY HUBBY SAYS RON IS A HEADACHE WE DO NOT NEED, HE LIKES HIM BUT HE SAYS WE HAVE ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH. HE SAYS WE NEED SOME HUNGRY PLAYERS WHO WANT TO WIN AND KNOW THE GAME. YOU KNOW NOT EVERY PLAYER IS GOING TO HAVE KOBES IQ ON BASKETBALL, THATS WHAT BOTHERS ME ABOUT BYNUM, BUT THEN I THINK HOW LONG IT TOOK SHAQ TO KICK IN AND GET A RING. ABOUT EIGHT YEARS. WHAT DO WE DO. GOOOO LAKERS. NBA FOREVER
Yeah I agree about ron artest but phil wants that challenge and kobe is willing to take him on board, but then again they also wanted vlad rad, well I was just telling kobe is 1 how about pj brown at power forward and sliding odom back to the small forward since he doesnt like posting up a whole lot anyway, or giving turiaf a chacne at starting at that power position. One thing to remember about bynum is hes only 19 he hardly played last year, and didnt even play a whole season of highschool before coming to the nba, hes learning very quickly in my opinion, I dont think its fair to say he doesnt have enough basketball IQ to keep up with kobe whos been in the nba for 10 years, you can say that about kwame, smush, radman with his terrible passing cause they should all know better by now, but to me bynum did very well considering hes the youngest player in the nba.
Show Time

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 15, 2007
 
TRACY wrote:
<quoted text>I THINK HE CAN PLAY ALOT BETTER, REMEMBER WHEN PHIL CALLED HIM A SPACE CADET. WELL I THINK HE DOES NOT KNOW OUR LANGUAGE VERY WELL AND WOULD AGREE WITH ANYTHING PHIL SAID. NOW THAT PHIL KNOWS DIFFERENT, WHEN HE GETS HEALTHY I THINK WE WILL SEE A GUY WHO CAN LEARN THE TRIANGLE AND WORK IT. JUST MY THOUGHTS THOUGH. I SOMETIMES LIKE THE LOOK OF MO EVANS, COULD HE BE CUTIVATED INTO THAT ONE PLAYER THAT CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. HE HAS THE HEART AND DRIVE, QUESTION THE TALENT. GOOO LAKERS
I think radman is gonna look alot better this season, thats just my opinion, if he doesnt then this will be another bad decision by the lakers front office but I have a feeling hes gonna fit in this team, too bad his injuries didnt allow us to see much of him.
Ben

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 15, 2007
 
so here is the question. are we all just dreaming when we say that we need to get certain players, like kidd, garnett, kirilenko, lewis, artest, JO? do you really think that mitch is gonna do anything? if there is one thing that every laker fan knows. mitch loves his money. he doesnt like the idea that he would get less money in the short run. i love the idea of any of these players coming to the lakers because we despeately need changes. But, i cant ever see mitch ever making these changes. therefore, bring jerry west back to LA!!!
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 15, 2007
 
he has to make changes, kobe has told him to. if he doesnt, hes gonna lose kobe bryant! and then he will have plenty of money to work with...and a bunch of very angry laker fans!
lakers355s

San Clemente, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 15, 2007
 
Ben wrote:
so here is the question. are we all just dreaming when we say that we need to get certain players, like kidd, garnett, kirilenko, lewis, artest, JO? do you really think that mitch is gonna do anything? if there is one thing that every laker fan knows. mitch loves his money. he doesnt like the idea that he would get less money in the short run. i love the idea of any of these players coming to the lakers because we despeately need changes. But, i cant ever see mitch ever making these changes. therefore, bring jerry west back to LA!!!
somebody needs to start a www.getjerrywest.com

big name trade-
for mitch, the whole bynum issue is the hold up... cupcake wants to be remembered for bringing in another great potential lakers superstar center.

i'm still undecided whether to trade andrew or not. i guess it depends on who we're pursuing...
what are your thoughts on trading andrew for any of these guys like JO, gasol, kidd, and KG?
Show Time

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 15, 2007
 
Ben wrote:
so here is the question. are we all just dreaming when we say that we need to get certain players, like kidd, garnett, kirilenko, lewis, artest, JO? do you really think that mitch is gonna do anything? if there is one thing that every laker fan knows. mitch loves his money. he doesnt like the idea that he would get less money in the short run. i love the idea of any of these players coming to the lakers because we despeately need changes. But, i cant ever see mitch ever making these changes. therefore, bring jerry west back to LA!!!
Yeah I would say bringing jerry back would be the first real good move, and who says odom has to be a powerforward I think hes best used as a small forward since he doesnt post up very much, so instead of getting a ron artest we can get someone whos a banger and plays good team defense, I keep saying it I dont think we need a major star we just need a 3rd consistent scorer, and exchange some of these heartless or inconsistent players who have had a chance to show what they got (cook, sasha, kwame) for guys who will come to play and it doesnt take a allstar player, just look around take mat barnes, derek fisher, horry, ruben patterson, chris wilcox, these guys can all contribute in big ways, bottomline you need a 3rd consistent scorer and some key defensive players to thoughen the team up, thats of course if you cant land garnett or any superstar for a reasonable price.
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 16, 2007
 
if its KG, give bynum away, maybe even kidd too.
Show Time

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 16, 2007
 
Kobe is 1 wrote:
if its KG, give bynum away, maybe even kidd too.
K1 I appreciate your optimistic view on the whole KG situation but let it go, your gonna build your hopes up too high, I really doubt hes coming, I will give you credit if he comes but dont get stuck on KG, I would say Kidd is alot more realistic, gasol is more realistic but KG is a pipe dream, I hope we get him but I seriously doubt it will happen especially if the suns offer amare or marion and 2 #1 picks, let it go my friend maybe dont set your self up for a let down.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of454
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••