Tom Brady is Overrated

Tom Brady is Overrated

There are 10095 comments on the Dr. U story from Jan 14, 2006, titled Tom Brady is Overrated. In it, Dr. U reports that:

Tom Brady of the New England Patriots is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dr. U.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#9971 Sep 25, 2012
Mister Awful wrote:
<quoted text>
What do mean "back to the Giants"? I said I think New England is a great team, not that I would ever fair weather the G-men. It seems to bother you that I would find humor in Belichick's attitude with the press, when his less than friendly demeanor is no secret. I don't blame him one bit. BTW, and FYI I think it goes without saying that the man is a genius in general terms, not just football. Anyway, I reserve the right to exercise my sense of humor, perhaps you should try it sometime.
Perhaps you didn't get my humor, as we already discussed your switch LAST season.

Actually, you are the one to bring up the Giants.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#9972 Sep 25, 2012
*WERE last season

“Back at'cha!”

Since: Aug 07

Somewhere near you...

#9973 Sep 25, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you didn't get my humor, as we already discussed your switch LAST season.
Actually, you are the one to bring up the Giants.
I brought up the Giants? OMG! It won't happen again. If you say you were trying to be funny, ok then, but you could have fooled me, in fact you did.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#9974 Sep 25, 2012
Mister Awful wrote:
<quoted text>
Where you see tragedy, I see comedy. Instead of griping about this and that, I can't wait for the next player or coach to go nuts over something the officials did. It's kind of the same thing as NASCAR-everyone is waiting for the next pile up. It's obvious to me that the players don't respect the replacements, while the refs are intimidated. Still, the games are being played, fans are entertained and the NFL machine continues to roll along, not missing a beat.
I completely agree with this, and this is exactly why Goodell is doing what he's doing.

The league and owners are continuing to make money, hand-over-fist, and a HUGE amount of free publicity is being brought to the NFL. People who didn't care one way or the other about these games are now tuning in to see the next "incident".

I was asking what you thought of the officiating in this case because you stated that no outcomes were effected by bad calls.
I made that comment before this game was played. Regardless, how many games end like this? One percent? Maybe less? I guess people want perfection.

Even though it looks like Jennings should have had a touchback, it's difficult to tell from the footage. However, I think it would have been overturned under normal circumstances, but again it was a tough one.
I watched the game and I can't tell based on the film either. My gut feeling is the ball was intercepted. I'm basing this on the reaction of the Seahawk receiver as he and the CB fell to the ground. He didn't look very happy. As a matter of fact, it looked like he was ready to walk away. That's not the reaction of someone who just caught the game winning TD.

Incidentally, your opinion as well as mine and everybody's for that matter wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. I don't quite understand why you feel the need to put it like that.
So many people have asked me what I thought of the last play and the subsequent outcome, simply because I have been defending the replacement refs. I have been trying to explain to folks that my opinion of the refs won't change, one way or the other, based on one play, and, in the end, my opinion means zero with regard to the outcome of the game, or the replacement ref's continued employment.

The refs have a difficult enough job as it is without the added scrutiny of every Tom, Dick, and Harry who think they could do a better job, and/or that they shouldn't be there. The things that people are complaining about happen EVERY YEAR. Why all the acrimony?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#9975 Sep 25, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL scoring plays are SUPPOSE to be reviewable.
Depends on which camera angle you are looking at, as they DID show others AFTER the fact.
The point I was making, and the point of the rule, is that the ball passed above the HEIGHT of the upright. Those plays are not reviewable. The initial call stands.

http://rules.bafra.org/rules/rulebook/2012/12...

Everybody knows that you are not to touch an official. His intent as they all were running off the field was to talk about a review, not to KICK HIS ASS.
If "everyone" knows you are not supposed to touch an official, then why did BB feel it was ok for him to do so?

No one is saying BB was going to harm the official. He just decided that his need to "dialogue" with the official superseded NFL rules. He doesn't seem to understand that the NFL commissioner and officials are the authority in the NFL, not himself. He thinks he can just ignore a rule if he doesn't like it. We will find out soon just how wrong he is.

You are assuming it was demeaning. It's not about the bucks at this point, it's about a suspension.
Really? What do you think was going to happen if the official had stopped when BB grabbed him. We all saw BB's body language. Do you think they were going to have polite conversation over a cup of tea?

No comments about Darrius Heyward-Bey injury with NO penalty?
I did comment on this...

No comments about the Packers/Seahawks debacle?( and this is only regarding ONE day out of the season ).
Also commented on...

“Back at'cha!”

Somewhere near you...

#9976 Sep 25, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely agree with this, and this is exactly why Goodell is doing what he's doing.
The league and owners are continuing to make money, hand-over-fist, and a HUGE amount of free publicity is being brought to the NFL. People who didn't care one way or the other about these games are now tuning in to see the next "incident".
<quoted text>
I made that comment before this game was played. Regardless, how many games end like this? One percent? Maybe less? I guess people want perfection.
<quoted text>
I watched the game and I can't tell based on the film either. My gut feeling is the ball was intercepted. I'm basing this on the reaction of the Seahawk receiver as he and the CB fell to the ground. He didn't look very happy. As a matter of fact, it looked like he was ready to walk away. That's not the reaction of someone who just caught the game winning TD.
<quoted text>
So many people have asked me what I thought of the last play and the subsequent outcome, simply because I have been defending the replacement refs. I have been trying to explain to folks that my opinion of the refs won't change, one way or the other, based on one play, and, in the end, my opinion means zero with regard to the outcome of the game, or the replacement ref's continued employment.
The refs have a difficult enough job as it is without the added scrutiny of every Tom, Dick, and Harry who think they could do a better job, and/or that they shouldn't be there. The things that people are complaining about happen EVERY YEAR. Why all the acrimony?
Some people like to make a big deal out everything, as if this situation impacted them personally. It's more fun to laugh at it. It's like an episode of the Three Stooges. I half expect them to start poking each other in the eye.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#9977 Sep 26, 2012
Sorry, I stand my ground.

These refs aren't getting better, they're getting worse. What an embarrassment to the NFL to put this out on the field. The season ticket holders got screwed.
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#9978 Sep 26, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
Sorry, I stand my ground.
These refs aren't getting better, they're getting worse. What an embarrassment to the NFL to put this out on the field. The season ticket holders got screwed.
Attendance and viewership, at record levels.....Next.....

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#9979 Sep 26, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
<quoted text>Attendance and viewership, at record levels.....Next.....
lol Like when everybody slows down to look at the horrible traffic accident.

“Back at'cha!”

Somewhere near you...

#9980 Sep 27, 2012
I for one will miss the replacements.

flbadcatowner

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#9981 Sep 28, 2012
Is Tom Brdy a fine QB? Yes he is. Is he the best? Not exactly.

“Back at'cha!”

Somewhere near you...

#9982 Sep 29, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
lol Like when everybody slows down to look at the horrible traffic accident.
No, it's more like Hockey; people love to see fights breakout, but it doesn't cause traffic delays and no one gets hurt...at least not seriously.
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#9983 Sep 29, 2012
Brady wins one more ring...before hanging it up....

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#9984 Oct 6, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
Brady wins one more ring...before hanging it up....
lol How generous of you to "pat" him on the back like that.

Go Buckeyes tonight!

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#9985 Oct 7, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
Go Buckeyes tonight!
Buckeyes play a sloppy defensive game and still clobber Nebraska 63-38!!

tOSU now the only undefeated team in the B1G and currently ranked #8 in the AP and Harris polls.

GO BUCKEYES!!

Ohio Bobcats (6-0) remain undefeated in MAC play, beating Buffalo 38-31,

GO BOBCATS!!

and Toledo downs Central Michigan 50-35 to maintain a perfect conference record and first place in the MAC/West Division,

GO ROCKETS!!

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#9986 Oct 7, 2012
Halfway through the season, and I heard some Heisman buzz regarding Miller! It's too early to start that, plus it could bring bad luck.

Oh, don't forget Pats OWN Broncos.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#9987 Oct 8, 2012
Bewitched wrote:
Halfway through the season, and I heard some Heisman buzz regarding Miller! It's too early to start that, plus it could bring bad luck.
Yeah, I've heard some of that same stuff about Miller. I think he wins NEXT year.

Oh, don't forget Pats OWN Broncos.
That was a typical Manning game. He usually starts off very slowly while he's figuring out the defense, then he takes off like gangbusters. Too little, too late.

The Pats have great starters on defense, but no depth. They barely made it through the game and were totally gassed. But they did win.

Who's next?
Go Blue

Miami, FL

#9988 Oct 8, 2012
Boy, when you watch the Patriots enough, you learn what an asshole Belichek is....Great Coach, but a loser human....See how he has treated Wes Welker, just because Welker wanted and deserved a longterm deal.....then Sunday, up 31-14, in the 4th quarter, he goes for fourth and 6, at midfield....rather then pin the Broncos deep....that was unclassy as hell...and you could see it by Bradys body language, as it failed.....Certainly not Belicheks greatest hour.....

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#9989 Oct 8, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I've heard some of that same stuff about Miller. I think he wins NEXT year.
<quoted text>
That was a typical Manning game. He usually starts off very slowly while he's figuring out the defense, then he takes off like gangbusters. Too little, too late.
The Pats have great starters on defense, but no depth. They barely made it through the game and were totally gassed. But they did win.
Who's next?
WAY too little too late. The way that I see it, the Pats' D and their O did a heeluva good job of keeping the Broncs OFF the field. I don't think Manning's game had anything to do with it.

"Barely made it through the game?" The underdog in the game is SUPPOSE to try to make the big comeback in the 2nd half, right? Sacks on Brady, and trying to go for it on 4th and 5 were more of a pitfall on their part than anything. IMO.

Pats go to Seattle for a 4:05 game next.

I

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#9990 Oct 8, 2012
Go Blue wrote:
Boy, when you watch the Patriots enough, you learn what an asshole Belichek is....Great Coach, but a loser human....See how he has treated Wes Welker, just because Welker wanted and deserved a longterm deal.....then Sunday, up 31-14, in the 4th quarter, he goes for fourth and 6, at midfield....rather then pin the Broncos deep....that was unclassy as hell...and you could see it by Bradys body language, as it failed.....Certainly not Belicheks greatest hour.....
I wasn't happy with the way Wes was getting treated either. I felt he had earned his money, so I'm kind of wondering what was really going on. lol Welker did say today that "it was great to stick (his performance) in Bill's face."

I thought Brady looked really tired (unusually so) by the end of the game, but maybe I was just reading too much into it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Act 47 looming for McKeesport? (Jan '11) 2 hr DragonsPhartse 274
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 5 hr Anthony Ramon 35,116
News Sheriff: Loudon jailer fired for sex contact wi... (Mar '14) 15 hr Fired Pharts 42
News Jose Canseco on being molested by women: - It w... 22 hr dawg phartz 26
News 2013 NFL Mock Draft: Current Info for All 32 Fi... (Jan '13) Fri PhartRaider 335
News NFL Extra: Kick return star Devin Hester retire... Fri Fart for Raiders 2
News NFL Draft 2018: Browns fans' guide to college b... Fri Fart for Raiders 2
More from around the web