Otha Scott speaks out about coaching

Otha Scott speaks out about coaching

There are 351 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Feb 27, 2009, titled Otha Scott speaks out about coaching. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

The Vigo County Youth Football league approved Otha Scott as a coaching candidate for next fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
fvac

Westerville, OH

#1 Feb 27, 2009
Otha coached my son in baseball for 2 years. He is excellent with the kids. He made a mistake and has paid for it. He still has a lot to offer the community!
the Truth

Tyrone, PA

#2 Feb 27, 2009
fvac wrote:
Otha coached my son in baseball for 2 years. He is excellent with the kids. He made a mistake and has paid for it. He still has a lot to offer the community!
Yeah he can offer then the in and outs of buying drugs
Mother of Two

Delaware, OH

#3 Feb 27, 2009
Otha coached my son, and I was concerned about it at first. I was totally wrong...my child learned more in one season with Otha than he did in several years with other coaches. He learned basketball and respect from Otha.
hoosierguy

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 27, 2009
would they give him such a break if he was a white man?
Rules are rules

United States

#5 Feb 27, 2009
I watched the entire interview and he looked like a fool. Most of what he said made no sense. He could barely put a sentence together. I'm sure he was nervous but gez oh pete if you're gonna be interviewed at least be a little prepared. I will pray tonight that this man is not allowed to coach in VCYL again. Also a question, why is Tom Grover the only person to have the bylaws? Any board I've been on EVERY board member had a copy of them.
-keepin it real-

Terre Haute, IN

#6 Feb 28, 2009
Because Tom Grover is a very arrogant person who also happens to be a TERRIBLE football coach. Remember the OC team that won county several years in a row until Grover bullied his way to coach them and they didnt even make it to the championship game that year????? Anyway, i remember a little boy on Grovers team that needed a ride to practice and Grover told him to "figure it out". On the other hand I have personally seen Otha Scott go out of his way to pick kids up for EVERY practice and EVERY game, and make sure they had something to eat before he took them home. I'd much rather have a person like Otha coach my kid.
the Truth

Tyrone, PA

#7 Feb 28, 2009
-keepin it real- wrote:
Because Tom Grover is a very arrogant person who also happens to be a TERRIBLE football coach. Remember the OC team that won county several years in a row until Grover bullied his way to coach them and they didnt even make it to the championship game that year????? Anyway, i remember a little boy on Grovers team that needed a ride to practice and Grover told him to "figure it out". On the other hand I have personally seen Otha Scott go out of his way to pick kids up for EVERY practice and EVERY game, and make sure they had something to eat before he took them home. I'd much rather have a person like Otha coach my kid.
Yeah Otha was using those kids as him drug mules
TBJ

Westerville, OH

#9 Feb 28, 2009
It doesn't matter how good he is with the kids, rules are rules. 2003 plus 10 years = 2013 not 2009. Come back in 2013 and you will have paid your debt. In the meantime, get to know your own children. God bless you Mr. Scott
Reality

Westerville, OH

#10 Feb 28, 2009
Well Truth, I don't think he could offer very good advice about buying drugs - he was caught, convicted and served time for the drug crime. Not very good at it then, huh? The purpose of sending a person to prison is not only to punish but also to deter and rehabilitate. Perhaps Otha was s success of our system? I don't know it the rule is right or wrong. Many have been changed. Rule of thumb? King's rule - you could beat your wife but the rod could be no bigger than your thumb. Rule changed.
Branden

United States

#11 Feb 28, 2009
TBJ wrote:
It doesn't matter how good he is with the kids, rules are rules. 2003 plus 10 years = 2013 not 2009. Come back in 2013 and you will have paid your debt. In the meantime, get to know your own children. God bless you Mr. Scott
Otha scott is my dad and he knows me very well. And get your facts straight. It was 2002 and he will be back in 2012. He still has 3 teams he is coaching right now. So shut up until you no your facts.
David Letterman

United States

#12 Feb 28, 2009
I can't see how a smart parent would let a drug felon coach his or her son . What stupid organazation is allowing him to coach now ???

Are you the son he left behind in the car while he ran from the police ?

What a dad .
sammi

Brownsburg, IN

#14 Feb 28, 2009
Branden wrote:
No im his oldest the one that would beat yo **** if i new who u were. But anyways my little brother was standing with my mom when all this happend. Maybe your son or daughter just sucks at sports or is fat or you dont no anything about sports. Put your real name and quit being coward and hideing. You must be scared if you have to use some1 elses name. I probably no who you are. Otha scott could def make your kids good if you want him to David Letterman. When you ready to come out the grass then talk.
Sorry Brandon, you sound like a little thug..You really aren't doing your dad any favors by being on here cussing and threatening to beat someone up.
Jim

Curwensville, PA

#15 Feb 28, 2009
sammi wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Brandon, you sound like a little thug..You really aren't doing your dad any favors by being on here cussing and threatening to beat someone up.
I understand your point but how would you feel if someone was attacking your father on the internet and they didn't even know him. Also you don't know any of them so how can you call anyone a thug? Thats borderlining on a racist comment.
sammi

Brownsburg, IN

#16 Feb 28, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand your point but how would you feel if someone was attacking your father on the internet and they didn't even know him. Also you don't know any of them so how can you call anyone a thug? Thats borderlining on a racist comment.
Well, Jim, I wouldn't threaten to beat "yo a$$". Maybe you are the racist by thinking thugs are only blacks.. I believe thugs come in all colors..
Why

Delaware, OH

#18 Feb 28, 2009
Why is everyone wasting there time. Rules are rules. Obviously the VCYFL needs to take a good look at their program and make some consistent changes that apply to everyone. The kids just want to play and the coaches look at it as an ego boost and most of them loose focus half way through the season. The boys just want to play. It is the VCYFL and the community that sponsors it's responsibility to make sure that the coaches are someone that the children can look up to and can be a good role model. If there has been other felons coaching, then the VCYFL has failed the children.
Rules are rules

United States

#20 Feb 28, 2009
-keepin it real- wrote:
all this about Otha~ what about some of these other coaches? What about Patrice Daytons husband Stan who in a drunken stupor, attacked an 11 year old boy at the Shrine Hill Picnic?? Knocked the little boy to the ground and jumped on top of him causing the kid to cry and scream out that he couldn't breathe???? Stan coaches basketball~~~in fact called the same boy, apologized and asked him to play on his team!****?~ wheres the news story on that?????
Do tell more...I think that if you coach any children you are held at a higher standard. These organizations are getting out of control with letting people coach who have no business coaching!
concerned citizen

Portage, PA

#21 Feb 28, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh brother, how can someone saying someone else sounds like a thug be racist? are you saying african americans are the only people that can be thugs? i think thats racist.
hoosierguy

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Feb 28, 2009
Rules are rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Do tell more...I think that if you coach any children you are held at a higher standard. These organizations are getting out of control with letting people coach who have no business coaching!
was there charges brought against this man
Branden

United States

#23 Feb 28, 2009
sammi wrote:
<quoted text>
Say what you want. Your dad is probably dead and was a perfect guy just like you. Quit hideing and put your real name. I just dont fear no one. And all you cowards who are talking put your real name sammi. Haha little punk.I hope you and your family goes to hell. We was balling then and we still are.
hoosierguy

Indianapolis, IN

#24 Feb 28, 2009
Branden wrote:
<quoted text>Say what you want. Your dad is probably dead and was a perfect guy just like you. Quit hideing and put your real name. I just dont fear no one. And all you cowards who are talking put your real name sammi. Haha little punk.I hope you and your family goes to ****. We was balling then and we still are.
get off here little boy and leave the debates for the adults

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fraser, Orton win to claim Olympic kayak spot 2 min 4 the kids 6
News Lionel Messi calls time on Argentina career aft... 1 hr Messi and deliberate 1
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 6 hr Trojan 32,289
News Shots Fired In Fight Over Woman, SWAT Called To... Sun state prison gape 1
News Could Cardinals make a change at closer? Sun P Funk 1
UFC Fight Night Dos Anjos vs. Alvarez. Live Sun livehdvsstream 1
News With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in C... Sun Carol 1
More from around the web