Law Enforcement Out in Full Force for 35th Foxfield Spring Races

There are 19 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Apr 26, 2013, titled Law Enforcement Out in Full Force for 35th Foxfield Spring Races. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The scene could be described as controlled chaos - with thousands of spectators setting up around a series of five horse races.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

#27 Apr 28, 2013
amaithi wrote:
<quoted text>
first of all, i have no political preference...democrat, republican, libertarian, whatever. none of that means anything to me. it is just another way of subdividing all of us as human beings. attaching titles to yourself just widens the gap between yourself and every other person. we are all one, brother. and, yes, many of the attendees of foxfield are irresponsible with the way they deal with their trash. that said, there are people who are employed to take care of such issues. we could say that all the tents that go up prior to the race are an eyesore, however, there are companies making money to erect and take down these tents. the trash issue is handled and people are working an honest job to clean up. nothing wrong with that. if you drive any road in the county you will notice that the roadsides are completely trashed by people who litter. there is nobody getting paid to clean that up...it is done by volunteers who spend their own time doing it so our planet will look better. i don't think you or anyone else has the statistics to say that it is liberals or conservatives doing the littering or the cleaning.
as for redirecting the conversation to make you look like the problem, well, i hate to say it, but you are part of the problem. until you and everyone else sees that we all share this planet; we all are the same flesh and bone and blood, nothing will change. i appreciate your input, friend, and wish you the best.
Once again a redirect from the point I was making about Foxfield. To you it's ok to trash a place because there are people paid to clean it up. Think of it this way if people would pick up after themselves the event organizers could hire fewer people to clean up which means maybe more of the money they raise could go to the charities. I also could care less about your political affiliation. I was making a direct observation of the disrespectful less than 20 something's with the Obama stickers that were throwing up and leaving piles of trash for others to deal with. PERIOD... I know it's my choice to attend the races or not so don't go there again. I go to actually watch some of the horses and have fun with friends and family and I should be able to do so without having to step across puke and p.,is..s covered piles of trash.
amaithi

Charlottesville, VA

#28 Apr 28, 2013
C-Ville Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>Once again a redirect from the point I was making about Foxfield. To you it's ok to trash a place because there are people paid to clean it up. Think of it this way if people would pick up after themselves the event organizers could hire fewer people to clean up which means maybe more of the money they raise could go to the charities. I also could care less about your political affiliation. I was making a direct observation of the disrespectful less than 20 something's with the Obama stickers that were throwing up and leaving piles of trash for others to deal with. PERIOD... I know it's my choice to attend the races or not so don't go there again. I go to actually watch some of the horses and have fun with friends and family and I should be able to do so without having to step across puke and p.,is..s covered piles of trash.
so, seeing as you are so inclined to complain about the drunk kids at foxfield, what is it you would like to see change? how would you make the event different? what are the things you would like to say other than posting complaints? and seeing as you keep focusing on the " obama stickers," can you explain how that is in any way a part of this, other than it being an annoyance to you that he won the election? it isn't okay with me that they litter, but the event organizers handle that without going into your pocket. how would you change the littering situation at foxfield, and on a broader scale, the littering all around our community? you can claim that i am redirecting all you want, but you are complaining without offering any options on how you think things should change. please do tell us how you would make it better. i hope that you got to see some horses running, but it sounds like you were too busy watching kids puke and counting obama stickers. let's hear what you think, mr. patriot. do you think there should be a mandatory age limit on attendees? should all the police go person-to-person asking for identification and checking coolers and drink cups? should dogs be used to sniff out individuals at the entrance so no illegal drugs come in? should cameras be employed, as well as people to monitor them, to ensure that those who litter are properly cited? should they have signs posted that remind people to be respectful of others? let us have something of substance from you instead of your relentless, empty complaints.
Yeah right

Charlottesville, VA

#30 Apr 28, 2013
amaithi wrote:
<quoted text>
so, seeing as you are so inclined to complain about the drunk kids at foxfield, what is it you would like to see change? how would you make the event different? what are the things you would like to say other than posting complaints? and seeing as you keep focusing on the " obama stickers," can you explain how that is in any way a part of this, other than it being an annoyance to you that he won the election? it isn't okay with me that they litter, but the event organizers handle that without going into your pocket. how would you change the littering situation at foxfield, and on a broader scale, the littering all around our community? you can claim that i am redirecting all you want, but you are complaining without offering any options on how you think things should change. please do tell us how you would make it better. i hope that you got to see some horses running, but it sounds like you were too busy watching kids puke and counting obama stickers. let's hear what you think, mr. patriot. do you think there should be a mandatory age limit on attendees? should all the police go person-to-person asking for identification and checking coolers and drink cups? should dogs be used to sniff out individuals at the entrance so no illegal drugs come in? should cameras be employed, as well as people to monitor them, to ensure that those who litter are properly cited? should they have signs posted that remind people to be respectful of others? let us have something of substance from you instead of your relentless, empty complaints.
There Absolutely should be an age limit. No one under 21 permitted. At least the drunk in public crowd would be of age and law enforcement would be able to spend their time on other problems... Rather than under age drinking. You talk about anger management... You've gone off on a diatribe here. War And Peace was shorter. Chill out.. Man!!
Jerry

Charlottesville, VA

#31 Apr 28, 2013
him wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't matter! Any girl that attends uva has sold their soul to the liberal agenda anyway! Liberal women don't have sex, they screw your wallet!
Him...you are an idiot. My daughter is a proud grad of UVA and has never sold her soul to anyone. She is a productive member of society who got a great education at UVA and pays her way. Maybe you should try education and do something positive in life rather than cut down others...guess you are jealous that you probably could not even fill in the application for UVA or any other school.
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#32 Apr 28, 2013
Great revenue source for the county! That's why all the cops are there. Like fishing in a barrel.
amaithi

Charlottesville, VA

#35 Apr 28, 2013
Yeah right wrote:
<quoted text>
There Absolutely should be an age limit. No one under 21 permitted. At least the drunk in public crowd would be of age and law enforcement would be able to spend their time on other problems... Rather than under age drinking. You talk about anger management... You've gone off on a diatribe here. War And Peace was shorter. Chill out.. Man!!
so you are saying that if all attendees were over 21 there would be no arrests for drunk in public? or are you saying that if all attendees were over 21 there would be no need for police at all? what, people over 21 don't use illegal drugs or drive while intoxicated? and are you saying that only people under 21 litter? i don't quite understand your point. also, i have no anger at all. you may choose to read what i wrote and assume there is an angry tone...that is your prerogative. i was directing my post to mr. patriot, not you, and i was being sincere in wanting to hear what he had to say. also, i wasn't aware that you were policing this forum for length of entries. it seems that i am allowed to write as much as i did, given the site did not limit me at all. i apologize if it was too long a read for you, but then again, it was directed to the patriot. thank you for your input, my friend.
Tom

Ruckersville, VA

#39 Apr 28, 2013
I saw the picture of the aftermath in the paper. If I were a student, I would be ashamed of the mess that was left behind. Besides the drunken behavior, there is a total lack of respect for the facility and the people who clean up after the event.

I have attended the spring Foxfiled races once but was embarrassed by the classless behavior on exhibit. You could find a better class of people at the infield of the Preakness Stakes in Baltimore...and that is a pretty low water mark.
John Teller

Natural Bridge Station, VA

#44 Apr 28, 2013
I used to go to there when I was young, although I don't remember much of it. It was fun I guess or I wouldn't have kept going. Oh well, I guess old age gets us all. Hope the kids are drinking it up there. Sounds like they are. This town is way to uptight for its own good. First they got rid of Easters, now they are going after Foxfield.
fish 100

Charlottesville, VA

#45 Apr 29, 2013
amaithi wrote:
<quoted text>
first of all, i have no political preference...democrat, republican, libertarian, whatever. none of that means anything to me. it is just another way of subdividing all of us as human beings. attaching titles to yourself just widens the gap between yourself and every other person. we are all one, brother. and, yes, many of the attendees of foxfield are irresponsible with the way they deal with their trash. that said, there are people who are employed to take care of such issues. we could say that all the tents that go up prior to the race are an eyesore, however, there are companies making money to erect and take down these tents. the trash issue is handled and people are working an honest job to clean up. nothing wrong with that. if you drive any road in the county you will notice that the roadsides are completely trashed by people who litter. there is nobody getting paid to clean that up...it is done by volunteers who spend their own time doing it so our planet will look better. i don't think you or anyone else has the statistics to say that it is liberals or conservatives doing the littering or the cleaning.
as for redirecting the conversation to make you look like the problem, well, i hate to say it, but you are part of the problem. until you and everyone else sees that we all share this planet; we all are the same flesh and bone and blood, nothing will change. i appreciate your input, friend, and wish you the best.
You use a little i when you talk about your self!!!!! you must think about your self as a small person!!!
amaithi

Charlottesville, VA

#46 Apr 29, 2013
fish 100 wrote:
<quoted text>You use a little i when you talk about your self!!!!! you must think about your self as a small person!!!
in case you failed to notice, good buddy, i use all lower case letters. if this is your attempt at humor, it is pretty lame. i was trying to engage the folks here to give some input on how they would change things at foxfield. it seems that they would rather complain and offer no viable options for change. it is also apparent that most people use these forums to rant, b**ch and moan, and that they have no answers to legitimate questions. you are no different.
amaithi

Charlottesville, VA

#47 Apr 29, 2013
fish 100 wrote:
<quoted text>You use a little i when you talk about your self!!!!! you must think about your self as a small person!!!
also, "yourself" is the word you meant to use. it isn't two separate words.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#48 Apr 29, 2013
I asked my daughter years ago if she would like to attend Foxfield. She was a horse enthusist to the max at the time. Must be a girl thing. Her responce was, no thanks dad, too many drunks. Regardless of how one thinks about the event, it does have a bad rap perpetrated by UVA students. Its a shame really. These days if you go now you not only have to observe the drunks, but wonder if some bonehead cop is gonna consider you a drunk or a terrorist.
amaithi

Charlottesville, VA

#49 Apr 29, 2013
sez you wrote:
I asked my daughter years ago if she would like to attend Foxfield. She was a horse enthusist to the max at the time. Must be a girl thing. Her responce was, no thanks dad, too many drunks. Regardless of how one thinks about the event, it does have a bad rap perpetrated by UVA students. Its a shame really. These days if you go now you not only have to observe the drunks, but wonder if some bonehead cop is gonna consider you a drunk or a terrorist.
it is no different at foxfield than it is on any friday or saturday night on the corner or anywhere on grounds, at a football game, etc...with the exception that there are a bunch of cops added to the mix to generate revenue for the county.

“Keeping life realistic”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#50 Apr 29, 2013
amaithi wrote:
<quoted text>
there are a bunch of cops added to the mix to generate revenue for the county.
there are a bunch of drunks added to the mix to generate revenue for the county.

fixed it for you.
Cops don't generate the revenue, the "customers" do
anonymous

Charlottesville, VA

#51 Apr 29, 2013
The police were suppose to be there to help keep the event under control, but this year they definitely went overboard. I was standing under a tent talking to a friend from JMU that i had not seen in a while. I had maybe one beer before the one i was holding in my hand. Take note that there were about 20 others around me all drinking alcohol as well. The officer picked me out from about 20 feet away out of the 20 others and gave me a citation for drinking a beer. While he was giving me the citation, a girl, who was obviously too drunk to walk (she had two guys helping her), stumbled by and the 2 officers glanced right at her, asked if she was alright, and let her keep walking. Now who is more of a danger to themselves and the people around them, me or her? Ive been to music festivals where there are over 80,000 people and no police, just security. Zero arrests are made and the event runs smoothly. No need for all the petty charges at Foxfield this year. It's absolutely ridiculous!
amaithi

Charlottesville, VA

#52 Apr 29, 2013
Laughing at the fools wrote:
<quoted text>
there are a bunch of drunks added to the mix to generate revenue for the county.
fixed it for you.
Cops don't generate the revenue, the "customers" do
they both do. a bunch of drunk kids does not generate revenue without them being arrested by the police.
Randal Livingston III

Harrisonburg, VA

#53 Apr 29, 2013
Laughing at the fools wrote:
<quoted text>
there are a bunch of drunks added to the mix to generate revenue for the county.
fixed it for you.
Cops don't generate the revenue, the "customers" do
in a police state cops do...they take money from citizens to fund the government machine, do you not get that?

“Keeping life realistic”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#54 Apr 29, 2013
amaithi wrote:
<quoted text>
they both do. a bunch of drunk kids does not generate revenue without them being arrested by the police.
without the drunk kids, there would be no arrests.
Thankfully gone are the days of being called out for drunks kids falling out of the back of pickups on garth rd, or in the creek on 21 curves, but still plenty of fines to be had.

“Keeping life realistic”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#55 Apr 29, 2013
Randal Livingston III wrote:
<quoted text>in a police state cops do...they take money from citizens to fund the government machine, do you not get that?
Police state?Which has what to do with the drunkfest that locals have grown to hate?And the officials that the promoters have to hire?
We should be so lucky as to have the event shut down.The amount of man hours, paid and volunteer, that go into the event is ludicrous, especially when less than half the attendees even see a horse.
But hey, somebody has to pay the stupid tax, might as well be students and their parents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Danica Patrick losing GoDaddy as primary car sp... 9 min I know dats right 20
News College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 13 min Go Blue Forever 1,926
News UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 37 min Trojan 29,716
News New pub coming to Lambeau Field 50 min Strokers Ace 7
News Are the Dolphins the new favorite to win AFC East? (Oct '14) 58 min Laughing Bear Fan 737
News Tim Tebow officially signs one-year contract wi... 1 hr Doctor Dickstein 27
News Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: After 'Fight of the Ce... 1 hr arleen 1
More from around the web