Veteran Bears Scars of Stateside Agen...

Veteran Bears Scars of Stateside Agent Orange

There are 35 comments on the NewsChannel5.com Nashville story from Feb 25, 2008, titled Veteran Bears Scars of Stateside Agent Orange. In it, NewsChannel5.com Nashville reports that:

Posted: Footage showing the military spraying the toxic herbicide to thin out the jungles of Vietnam.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsChannel5.com Nashville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
James Cripps

AOL

#21 Mar 9, 2008
Lara wrote:
My dad is battling with the V.A. over disability as well... He has hundreds of documents re: Agent Orange use on Guam.. Pics of him standing and working with barrels of the stuff.. He has Thyroid Cancer that has metasized.. Type II Diabetes, A trach, cancer around his rib cage and lung area, brain cancer, prostate cancer has had one kidney removed and the other is iffy at best... we're still waiting on a "hearing", have been for the past several years... When I call his V.A. Representative in Clarksville, he doesn't return my calls... After the 10th call I made I was finally able to speak to him... I explained my Dad's situation.. I was told the only way to speed things up in the hearing process would be for him to pass away... Can you believe that?? Anyway.. we, his daughters are pursuing this to the max... As a Veteran, and having served his 20 yrs he deserves to be treated better than this... Thanx for the
opportunity to vent...
I can relate to venting, Congressman Jim Cooper's Rep. told me that if my death was near and eminent, or if my home was in forclosure, only then would he do anything to try and help me.

When Uncle Sam asked me to help defend this great nation I steped up to the plate. I didn't tell him no, not until I am about to die or get into financial ruin. The iorony is that the people who judge my claim for benefits were not even born when I served so that they could be born and live in peace.

Thanks for your post, James [email protected]
James Cripps

AOL

#22 Mar 9, 2008
gruntred wrote:
He was not wounded as he STATES! This is just another slap in the face to Viet Nam veterans, when will it end??
No I did not go to Vietnam. I did go to Germany and I joined the NATO forces, and I will proudly make the statement that no hostile country was able to drop a nuclear bomb on the United States of America on my watch!

Take your frustrations out on those who ran away to Canada. I didn't need a pardon to come back home, and I certainly don't need to steal someone elses glory. get over it!

If you can read this, thank god. If you are reading this in english, thank a veteran.
James
C D K

Warner Robins, GA

#23 Mar 9, 2008
Dioxin contamination is one of the many contaminants found at the Treasure Island Navy Base (now a closed base). The Base is an EPA site.
Of note is that Dioxin contamination is specifically located at the old Fire Fighting School, and likely due to the fuels used to make smokey fires used for fire fighting training.

The majority of Vietnam Era Sailors sent to Vietnam and the Far East were sent overseas from Treasure Island, only after completing a fire fighting course at the Fire Fighting School.

Evidently, I and other Sailors of the Vietnam era were exposed to Dioxin before we ever left the US!
Sally

Sewickley, PA

#24 Mar 9, 2008
I found out from another female veteran that Ft. McClellan, Al was closed due to toxic chemicals. Ft. McClellan, Al was a training base for females. It also was were Agent Orange was made and tested before AO went to VietNam. People that were at Ft. McClellan, Al. were exposed to toxic chemicals but the VA said nothing. I am going to be filing a claim . I have health problems and my daughter was born with spina bifida. Spina bifida has been linked to Agent Orange. If I was in VietNam , I would have no problem with a claim but that is not the case because the VA does not recognize stateside exposure. The one veteran is the only case of chemical exposure at Ft. McClellan, Al.
Michael Topf

Bridgeport, CT

#25 Mar 10, 2008
I was stationed at 2 baSES WHERE AGENT ORANGE WAS USED (SPRAYED)FORT GORDON GA AND CAMP DRUM N Y I HAVE ALL THE ILLNESSES OF THAT CHEMICAL MY CLAIM HAS BEEN REJECTED FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS. IF SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME WITH MORE INFORMATION MY E MAIL IS [email protected] THANKS

MICHAEL TOPF
305 PARKSIDE COURT
COPIAGUE, N.Y.11726
James Cripps

AOL

#26 Mar 11, 2008
Michael Topf wrote:
I was stationed at 2 baSES WHERE AGENT ORANGE WAS USED (SPRAYED)FORT GORDON GA AND CAMP DRUM N Y I HAVE ALL THE ILLNESSES OF THAT CHEMICAL MY CLAIM HAS BEEN REJECTED FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS. IF SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME WITH MORE INFORMATION MY E MAIL IS [email protected] THANKS
MICHAEL TOPF
305 PARKSIDE COURT
COPIAGUE, N.Y.11726
Mike, what years were you at Fort Gordon? you asked for it and you got it here it is.
Ok guys, this is new, never before seen information about the spraying of agent orange at Fort Gordon Ga. in 1966. It has only been viewed by the VARO in Nashville,Tennessee as explicit evedence in my case. It involved 40 ha. One ha is equal to 2.47 acres. The known optimum rate for the application of Agent Orange is three gallons per acre. That amount of defoliation required at least 296.4 gallons of Agent Orange. For those of you who do not know your chemicals, 2,4-D 2,4,5-T picloramic acid is the exact formula for Agent Orange. The Picloram is the nastiest of all of the ingredients, as it assures that the agent will bind tightly to the soil and last for a very long time.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj196/j......

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj196/j......

For more on the evidence in my case visit
http://vets.yuku.com/bvetbenefits
scroll down and click on agent orange and then click on CBS News.

See the video News Channel 5

More agent orange outside Vietnam. Fort gordon on pages 49 & 50.
http://www.usace.army.mil/publications/eng......

Did they know that it was harmful?

Research By James M. Cripps
March, 20,2008
This is the web site where the Zumwalt report can be found.

http://www.koreanwar.org/html/units/dmz/dm......

Admiral Zumwalt was in charge of all spraying operations in Vietnam. His son was with the Brown Water Navy and was directly involved in the spraying operations. His son died early on as due to Agent Orange related illnesses. The Admiral died a few months back. Pitiful story, but very ironic.

REPORT TO SECRETARY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS

ON THE ASSOCIATION BETWEEN ADVERSE HEALTH EFFECTS

AND EXPOSURE TO AGENT ORANGE

CLASSIFIED CONFIDENTIAL STATUS (1)

As Reported by Special Assistant

Admiral E.R. Zumwalt, Jr.

May 5, 1990

NOT FOR PUBLICATION AND
RELEASE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC

On October 6, 1989 I was appointed as special assistant to Secretary Derwinski of the Department of Veterans Affairs to assist the Secretary in determining whether it is at least as likely as not that there is a statistical association between exposure to Agent Orange and a specific adverse health effect.

When we (military scientists) initiated the herbicide program in the 1960s, we were aware of the potential for damage due to dioxin contamination in the herbicide. We were even aware that the military6 formulation had a higher dioxin concentration than the civilian version due to the lower cost and speed of manufacture. However, because the material was to be used on the enemy, none of us were overly concerned. We never considered a scenario in which. our own personnel would become contaminated with the herbicide. And, if we had, we would have expected our own government to give assistance to veterans so contaminated.
James Cripps

AOL

#27 Mar 11, 2008
C D K wrote:
Dioxin contamination is one of the many contaminants found at the Treasure Island Navy Base (now a closed base). The Base is an EPA site.
Of note is that Dioxin contamination is specifically located at the old Fire Fighting School, and likely due to the fuels used to make smokey fires used for fire fighting training.
The majority of Vietnam Era Sailors sent to Vietnam and the Far East were sent overseas from Treasure Island, only after completing a fire fighting course at the Fire Fighting School.
Evidently, I and other Sailors of the Vietnam era were exposed to Dioxin before we ever left the US!
Thanks for the response. I don't know a whole lot about the exposure in the Navy. Try looking at the Blue Water Navy. Just type those words into your web browser and you will find the site. thanks again and good luck.
James
doug kelley

Euless, TX

#28 Nov 27, 2010
Lara wrote:
My dad is battling with the V.A. over disability as well... He has hundreds of documents re: Agent Orange use on Guam.. Pics of him standing and working with barrels of the stuff.. He has Thyroid Cancer that has metasized.. Type II Diabetes, A trach, cancer around his rib cage and lung area, brain cancer, prostate cancer has had one kidney removed and the other is iffy at best... we're still waiting on a "hearing", have been for the past several years... When I call his V.A. Representative in Clarksville, he doesn't return my calls... After the 10th call I made I was finally able to speak to him... I explained my Dad's situation.. I was told the only way to speed things up in the hearing process would be for him to pass away... Can you believe that?? Anyway.. we, his daughters are pursuing this to the max... As a Veteran, and having served his 20 yrs he deserves to be treated better than this... Thanx for the opportunity to vent...
how did his claim come out
doug kelley

Euless, TX

#29 Nov 27, 2010
please send me your E-MAIL or phone number doug kelley
MSgt FOSTER

Dunkirk, NY

#30 Feb 15, 2011
This person needs to contact katrina eagle at [email protected] and tell her what is happening. Your father doensn't need to die to get the VA to give this a priority. All you need is a doctor certification of his terminal condition and Katrina will take it from there. I assure you that Secretary Shinseki would intervene quickly. Just write to him at [email protected] i assure you he will not let veterans go without help.
Lara wrote:
My dad is battling with the V.A. over disability as well... He has hundreds of documents re: Agent Orange use on Guam.. Pics of him standing and working with barrels of the stuff.. He has Thyroid Cancer that has metasized.. Type II Diabetes, A trach, cancer around his rib cage and lung area, brain cancer, prostate cancer has had one kidney removed and the other is iffy at best... we're still waiting on a "hearing", have been for the past several years... When I call his V.A. Representative in Clarksville, he doesn't return my calls... After the 10th call I made I was finally able to speak to him... I explained my Dad's situation.. I was told the only way to speed things up in the hearing process would be for him to pass away... Can you believe that?? Anyway.. we, his daughters are pursuing this to the max... As a Veteran, and having served his 20 yrs he deserves to be treated better than this... Thanx for the opportunity to vent...
Emma

Arcata, CA

#31 Nov 9, 2012
James Cripps wrote:
<quoted text>
No I did not go to Vietnam. I did go to Germany and I joined the NATO forces, and I will proudly make the statement that no hostile country was able to drop a nuclear bomb on the United States of America on my watch!
Take your frustrations out on those who ran away to Canada. I didn't need a pardon to come back home, and I certainly don't need to steal someone elses glory. get over it!
If you can read this, thank god. If you are reading this in english, thank a veteran.
James
I feel happy for you that you will not exposed to agent orange. I myself was at Fort McCullan where they stored and dumped agent orange and other chemicals. I was there in 1970 and yes today I suffer from this chemical. You say you are a veteran then stand by your fellow solders. I lived there for three months. Know your facts before you judge.
Richard Goodmn

Lakeland, FL

#32 Feb 11, 2013
Michael Topf wrote:
MICHAEL TOPF
305 PARKSIDE COURT
COPIAGUE, N.Y.11726
I was stationed at Ft. Gordon in 1967 for training at their radio and teletype schools. We did a lot of herbicide spraying in the area during off days in the area. I have a claim pending with the VA for various cancers and neuropathys. It's almost two years now--they are way behind I understand.

Have you had any results yet with your claim?

[email protected]
Brooksville, FL
Dana

Carrollton, TX

#33 May 12, 2013
My father was at Fort Gordon in 1972. We are looking to speak with anyone who was there at that time, but are also interested in talking to anyone who was there anytime before or after as well. My father now has Parkinson's disease.

Please contact me immediately, as time is crucial and very limited in this matter. My email address is:

[email protected]

We are grateful to anyone who will speak with us. The more people we can gather together, the stronger all of our cases will be.

Thank you all so much for your service and for your time.
Dana
[email protected]
Richard Goodman

Lakeland, FL

#34 Aug 10, 2013
Update on my claim: Denied because they say
use of Agent Orange started in July 1967.

I was transferred in May 1967 but we did
spray herbicides during my service there.

Prostate cancer mets to bone, melanoma, neuropathy
other skin cancers etc. I need other vets to
corroborate who were there Jan thru May 1967.

Thanks in advance,
Richard
Kathy Kircus

Clinton Township, MI

#35 Oct 10, 2013
Camp Drum Agent Orange Exposed Veterans

Looking for veterans that had possible Agent Orange exposure at Camp Drum.

My father was stationed there in 1963 when a jet crashed in May of 1963 unearthing the contaminated soil (sprayed of Agent Orange). He was a first responder to the scene. He now suffers from Parkinson, heart problems, diabetes and etc.

Also, my brothers and I have suffered from unexplained birth defects from his exposure.

Please contact me either by email or by mail:

Kathy Kircus
49166 Limestone Dr.
Macomb, MI 48044

[email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NewsChannel5.com Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 16 Known Dead From Storms In Tennessee (Apr '11) 3 min Pete 26,581
News Woman Charged For Relationship With 16-Year-Old (Feb '09) 6 hr Brenda 65
News NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - DCS ... (Apr '08) Wed Robin 191
News Neighbors Claim Dogs Live In Horrible Condition... (Sep '09) Jan 2 Debbie Di Grazia 169
News 80 Dogs Rescued In Alleged Puppy Mill (Sep '13) Dec 27 Animal lover 40
News Local Homeowners Fight Against Habitat For Huma... (Sep '08) Dec 26 NO RACIST 70
News Police Release Name Of Woman Found Dead In Her ... (Feb '09) Dec '16 Rachel 43
More from around the web