State Trooper Jailed

Willimantic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2009

Veteran state police trooper Paul Vera was arraigned Friday after being accused of barging in on his ex-girlfriend and a man while they were in bed together and threatening them.

Vera, 44, of Waterford is charged with second-degree threatening, third-degree criminal mischief and second-degree criminal trespass in an incident reported Nov. 9 at the Groton apartment of his ex-girlfriend, Amy Branchaud.

Assigned to Troop E in Montville, Vera was placed on administrative duty after the incident pending the outcome of an internal investigation, state police spokesman Sgt. Chris Johnson said.

According to the arrest warrant affidavit, Groton Town Police received a 911 call at 5:17 a.m. Nov. 9 from George Lopez who reported Vera had kicked in the bedroom door at the home of Amy Branchaud on Michelle Lane in Groton.

He said Branchaud is Vera’s ex-girlfriend.

Lopez said Vera was dressed in “full battle rattle,” with dark fatigues and holding a handgun pointed at his groin. After Vera and Branchaud yelled expletives at each other, Lopez said Vera left.

Vera said in his interview with police that he was in an on-again, off-again relationship with Branchaud for several years and she recently had moved out. On the morning of Nov. 9, he said he had tried calling her and got no response. He went to her apartment, entering through a back sliding glass door, police said. He denied bringing a gun or wearing a police uniform.

Vera told police he heard the two having sex and “barreled” through the bedroom door where he caught them in bed together.

When he heard the broadcast over his police radio that police were looking for him, he said he contacted his supervisor, Sgt. Mike Collins, turned over his firearm and went to Groton Town Police headquarters to be interviewed.

In a second interview with police, Branchaud said Vera had come to her apartment at night in the past and used the sliding glass door. She also said she was suspicious of Lopez’s version of the events of that night since he told her “they could each win $12 million dollars,” in a lawsuit against the state.

Vera’s case was continued to Feb. 5.
Hmmmmm

Willimantic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2009

You mean to tell me, that they did not feed him to a K-9 (unit)?!
Geo

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2009

Judged:

This guy is a Danger to society! I hope we dont have to read about another revenge killing by a trooper,because they protected this guy. How many storys like this end up with the woman killed?
Dirty Cop

Peabody, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2009

Judged:

Another dirty CT State Trooper. Big surprise! The only surprise is that he was arrested. I hope they don't try to protect this guy. They think they are God. I have no respect for most of the State Troopers, nor do I trust them. It's about time someone starts policing these State Troopers. They believe they can do and say whatever they want to anyone, and get away with it.
THE TRUTH

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2009

Judged:

This guy should not be free on bail first of all. Second he should be suspended WITHOUT PAY. The state police are out of control and need to be supervised much more closely. They walk around Connecticut like the SS did in Germany.
FormerDUI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2009

Judged:

Our tax dollars funded an investigation into our State Police by the AG's office with the help of the New York State Police, back in 2006. It produced something called the "Report on the Evaluation of the CT Dept. of Public Safety Internal Affairs." It is on the AG's web site. DON'T trust them all.
Kathleen

Johnston, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

I am Amy's sister and all of these comments are unnecessary. She got caught up in a bad situation. She redeemed herself and everything is getting sorted out now. Paul is a great man and its a shame his reputation is getting destroyed over exaggerations and heresay of the media.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

He's either a dangerous man who threatens ex girlfriends or he's a scam artist. In either case, he isn't a good cop.
Like I care

Johnstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Old news.
NHPD

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

Kathleen wrote:
I am Amy's sister and all of these comments are unnecessary. She got caught up in a bad situation. She redeemed herself and everything is getting sorted out now. Paul is a great man and its a shame his reputation is getting destroyed over exaggerations and heresay of the media.
the slut deserve what she gets. she is just another dirty slut, thats like to play games with guys heads, and she just got caught red handed.
Ooooh-Ooooh

Rockwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

Judged:

NHPD wrote:
<quoted text>the slut deserve what she gets. she is just another dirty slut, thats like to play games with guys heads, and she just got caught red handed.
Which heads?
Amy Branchaud

Groton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2009

Judged:

NHPD, real nice. Hope you're proud of yourself.
Riche

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

Judged:

Hope you r ok amy sorry to hear all that !

Az phx 602
Amy Branchaud

Groton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Riche wrote:
Hope you r ok amy sorry to hear all that !
Az phx 602
Hey you. email me. amaliya1982@yahoo.com Hope everything is going good for you out there in AZilla. Miss ya man.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut Discussions

Search the WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Waterbury one of the best places to raise a family (Jul '08) Jun 30 Jim 198
Person loses foot in motorcycle accident (Aug '08) Jun '14 Paul 32
Seven arrested in Norwich prostitution sting (Aug '08) Jun '14 Keeping it real 11
Conspiracy To Cover Up a Crime by Judicial Bran... May '14 Citizen 4
Puppy mill in Bethany (Dec '08) May '14 Cheshire 336
Dead man may have been fleeing police for no re... (Feb '08) May '14 John Mckellan AKA FACT 66
East Haven animal shelter defends conditions (Oct '08) May '14 martinezh66 11
•••