State Attorney and Public Defender (D...
Not very amused

Jacksonville, FL

#4382 Apr 3, 2009
Helveticus wrote:
It's not shirk's fault that he shirked his responsibility to that defendant and took that poor family's money. He tried to tell them he was going exert a minimal effort, he even hesitated before pocketing the money..but "they insisted." What mortal being could refuse such a powerful influence? That is the parents' fault.
And, he would have done a better job of actual representation in court, but the "judge was late." That's the judge's fault.
Now they want that unearned fee back but not because it's real money in hard times but because they want to politically harm him. That's not his fault either.
And when he was sued it was by Bill Sheppard's wife. That's Bill Sheppard's fault.
Then he wasn't aware he was being sued. That's the process server's fault.
shirk filed no notice of discovery, requested no statement of particulars, requested no hearing on bond because he was elected and had no time. That's the voters' fault.
Since shirk campaigned on having his ex-police investigators going out to determine whether his clients are truly indigent and in need of public lawyers, how can he make sure this client really needs his office when there is this conflict of interest about finances? Seems like the guy should have an appointed attorney automatically.
Anyway, this is all just an unfortunate series of events that are not the fault of any single entity but that simply conspired by chance to implicate the values and integrity of a now public figure. As shirkspear says, look not to ourselves for our misfortunes, but to our stars.
Simply HILARIOUS!
From the T-U

Niceville, FL

#4383 Apr 4, 2009
Not very amused wrote:
<quoted text>
Simply HILARIOUS!
I wonder if Matt is going to investigate the fellow who's family is suing him. He cleary had enough money for him to take $4K off there hands for a few pass dates and no appearances. But since he is so suspicious about the clients, why is he not all over this.
Gina

United States

#4384 Apr 4, 2009
From the T-U wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if Matt is going to investigate the fellow who's family is suing him. He cleary had enough money for him to take $4K off there hands for a few pass dates and no appearances. But since he is so suspicious about the clients, why is he not all over this.
Why would the PDO represent Eric Edwards when he has a currentl legal issue against Matt Shirk? Seems like the PDO should conflict out, no?
From the T-U

Niceville, FL

#4385 Apr 4, 2009
Gina wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would the PDO represent Eric Edwards when he has a currentl legal issue against Matt Shirk? Seems like the PDO should conflict out, no?
He does not have the issue, it is his family that is suing him.
JAG

Middleburg, FL

#4386 Apr 4, 2009
I hear that everything is going smoother at the SAO and PDO. Glad things have calmed down
Gina

United States

#4387 Apr 4, 2009
From the T-U wrote:
<quoted text>
He does not have the issue, it is his family that is suing him.
That's not the point I was trying to make. I think it's about ethics. Why would an office represent someone who has an issue with the leader? The parents are suing, yes, but it's on behalf of their ADULT child who is being represented by the very office who is being headed by the person they are not thrilled with. I would think that just based on appearances and ethics, the office would want to conflict out and send to Regional Conflict or a private attorney.
Florida

Middleburg, FL

#4388 Apr 4, 2009
Gina wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not the point I was trying to make. I think it's about ethics. Why would an office represent someone who has an issue with the leader? The parents are suing, yes, but it's on behalf of their ADULT child who is being represented by the very office who is being headed by the person they are not thrilled with. I would think that just based on appearances and ethics, the office would want to conflict out and send to Regional Conflict or a private attorney.
It could be there no longer have money to pay for a private attorney or any other representation. This could be there only option - with or without who is head of the Public Defender's office.
Bravery

Niceville, FL

#4389 Apr 4, 2009
Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
It could be there no longer have money to pay for a private attorney or any other representation. This could be there only option - with or without who is head of the Public Defender's office.
You dont pay for counsel after the PDO conflicts out, atleast to my knowledge.
duh

United States

#4390 Apr 4, 2009
Bravery wrote:
<quoted text>
You dont pay for counsel after the PDO conflicts out, atleast to my knowledge.
you are right - when pdo conflicts out, the client does not pay for the private attorney. the court pays the private attorney a set fee...as far as i have been told. i hear there are a lot of attorneys on this list that are willing to accept clients.

DemonsEye

“Liberals are insane.”

Since: Jan 08

Jacksonville Fl.

#4391 Apr 4, 2009
4373 comments? I'm sure people are going to read that many.Isnt it time to put threads this long to sleep?
Not very amused

Jacksonville, FL

#4392 Apr 4, 2009
Actually, that is incorrect.

There is now a Regional Conflict Counsel (RCC) who takes cases the PDO conflicts out of.

A private only comes into play when both of them have a conflict.
duh

Jacksonville, FL

#4393 Apr 5, 2009
DemonsEye wrote:
4373 comments? I'm sure people are going to read that many.Isnt it time to put threads this long to sleep?
then why did you help keep it alive by posting?
Disgusted

Jacksonville, FL

#4394 Apr 5, 2009
duh wrote:
<quoted text>
then why did you help keep it alive by posting?
People would not be posting here unless they needed a forum where they could vent. If the new administration weren't off to such a miserable start this blog likely would have died off a few months ago. Obviously that is not the case and it is a shame, indeed.
duh

Jacksonville, FL

#4396 Apr 5, 2009
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
People would not be posting here unless they needed a forum where they could vent. If the new administration weren't off to such a miserable start this blog likely would have died off a few months ago. Obviously that is not the case and it is a shame, indeed.
I agree with you - unlike what the other poster said (to let the thread die). I think it's good this forum/thread is here because it gives people a way to vent and discuss what is on their minds.
Public

Davenport, FL

#4397 Apr 5, 2009
We see it more as whining. Venting is something you do at your psychologists office. The crap you all spew here is nothing short of choking on sour grapes.
From the T-U

Niceville, FL

#4398 Apr 5, 2009
Public wrote:
We see it more as whining. Venting is something you do at your psychologists office. The crap you all spew here is nothing short of choking on sour grapes.
Sour Grapes? I think not, I think it is making sure this fool stays the public eye. He should not be allowed to act with impunity, he is assuming that the people of Duval will ignore his antics, hopefully they are smarter than that.
Disgusted

Denver, NC

#4399 Apr 5, 2009
Public wrote:
Dear "Sour Grapes",

Your team is unqualified and this makes you defensive. You would like to ride your high horse and be cocky (like the rest)but this blog, the media and Shirk's chilly welcome to the defense bar anger you. I think you need to pout at your therapists office. And, I hope whatever happens is completely exposed. Isn't "transparency" a new political buzz word? Don't birds of a feather Matt Shirk and David Taylor have political aspirations? Hahahahahahhaha. Delusional, for sure.

DemonsEye

“Liberals are insane.”

Jacksonville Fl.

#4400 Apr 5, 2009
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I should have expanded on my comment ...

I've been reading this thread since it started.
At the time people were really upset at the SAO and the PDO, for various reasons. Some of those reasons are no longer in play, Harrys gone, changes at the PDO, ect, ect.
Its a year later and I imagine the situations that the first posts have changed a little.
Can you tell me what comment 2194 was about?
Does it apply to today?
If someone new came across this thread would they read all 4000 comments?
A great point somewhere in this quagmire of comments might be buried because most people aren't going to read through all of it.
Disgusted

Denver, NC

#4401 Apr 5, 2009
DemonsEye wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I should have expanded on my comment ...
I've been reading this thread since it started.
At the time people were really upset at the SAO and the PDO, for various reasons. Some of those reasons are no longer in play, Harrys gone, changes at the PDO, ect, ect.
Its a year later and I imagine the situations that the first posts have changed a little.
Can you tell me what comment 2194 was about?
Does it apply to today?
If someone new came across this thread would they read all 4000 comments?
A great point somewhere in this quagmire of comments might be buried because most people aren't going to read through all of it.
No. There's no quiz here. It's like a news broadcast. The most current is most relevant. Sorry I had to explain that to you. Jeez.

DemonsEye

“Liberals are insane.”

Jacksonville Fl.

#4402 Apr 5, 2009
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
...The most current is most relevant....
I think that was my point.
How about a discussion thread (or threads) for todays relevance without yesterdays baggage?

Never mind...
Party on dudes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

First Coast News Jacksonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why do blacks think white people owe them (Nov '07) Jun 13 Shut it 852
News Eden Meyer Advances to NCAA Finals to Highlight... Jun 6 Run bubba 2
News Duval County Jail Brawl; Corrections Officer an... (Mar '08) Jun 1 sydneytoki 522
News Georgia - Inmates Complain of Treatment at Clay... (Aug '07) May 28 Big Time 263
News On Your Side - Ken Amaro Answers Your Mail (Mar '08) May 28 Della_sickofit23 117
News Strange & Unusual - Second Grader Stripped Nake... (Feb '07) May '17 Suezanne 255
News On Your Side - Pot Pie Recall (Oct '07) May '17 PRIME RIB 50
More from around the web