Local hospitals OK with ER wait times

Full story: WISH-TV 8 Indiana News

There's new data on wait times in emergency rooms around the country and the news isn't good.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
LGC123

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

St Francis South Campus is the worst: I went there last week on Wednesday night, their wait time was 2 1/2 to 3 hours! I left and went up to St Vincent, and was in and out in less than an hour.
Mary

Franklin, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

Oh please..I have waited over 4 hours on numerous occasions at St. Francis South to see a doctor!
listerine

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

If you think wait times are long now wait until the government takes over.3 hours will turn into 3 days.
redneck

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

Quit taking your kids to the emergency room every time they **** or break a fingernail you won't have to wait so long.
redneck

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

gee i guess i have to say release gas
Gross Out

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

Mary wrote:
Oh please..I have waited over 4 hours on numerous occasions at St. Francis South to see a doctor!
Perhaps you unaware of the heart attack or cardiac arrest in the shock room. Or the pit bull (or other vicious dog) attack victim needing mulitple sutures in another room. Just because the waiting room isn't full and perhaps you see other empty exam rooms doesn't mean the staff is all online shopping at amazon.com .
Gross Out

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

redneck wrote:
gee i guess i have to say release gas
Ye, you do! But they'll sure let other things on! Geez! When did f a r t become such a foul word in the profane-laden society of today?
Lucy Goose

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

Ronald McDonald wrote:
<quoted text>Drug seekers often have this problem.
Yep, because the show up with a huge list of what they are allergic to and the only thing they CAN take is morphine. Hmmmmmm....imagine that!
EMT in ED

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

Mary wrote:
Mary, I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful, and I do not work for St Francis Healthcare System, but, chances are, if you had to wait more than 4 hours to be evaluated by a doctor, you medical situation was not of an emergent nature and should have probably been taken care of by your family doctor. People that are not on the verge of immediate death have the option of asking the triage nurse/EMT about how long the wait to be evaluated and treated is and on many occasions, I've let patients know that they could MOST LIKELY be in and out of a MedCheck or Immediate Care Clinic long before a doctor, nurse practioner, or PA sets foot in there room in this ED. Now,, keep in mind these are the folks with a possible sprained ankle, runny nose for a week, child with earache, small cut, etc. Please folks, keep in mind the name of the place you are going to to seek medical care; EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT, and if it's not an emergency, you might want to consider the other options of immediate care available to you. Your insurance company, your checkbook, and if on Medicaid, the taxpayers, will be thankful in the long run!
EMT in ED

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

Yes, I made a typo or two, but you should be able to make out the meaning of my post. Also, some local drugstores are now offering a "quick clinic" type of setting with a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant (NOT to be confused with a Medical Assistant) that can evaluate and treat the kind of things most people see their family doc for. Just another thing to keep in mind in your goals to stay healthy!
Crabby Caucasian Chick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

LGC123 wrote:
St Francis South Campus is the worst: I went there last week on Wednesday night, their wait time was 2 1/2 to 3 hours! I left and went up to St Vincent, and was in and out in less than an hour.
Obviously you didn't need EMERGENCY care. It's people that go in for a sore toe or a bump on their butt (real cases I've seen) that hold up the whole system, then they have the nerve to be indignant that they had to wait. GO TO YOUR DOCTOR NOT THE EMERGENCY ROOM!
Stuck In Indy

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 7, 2008

Gross Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you unaware of the heart attack or cardiac arrest in the shock room. Or the pit bull (or other vicious dog) attack victim needing mulitple sutures in another room. Just because the waiting room isn't full and perhaps you see other empty exam rooms doesn't mean the staff is all online shopping at amazon.com .
And the waiting room full of people with a cold that can only go the emergency room to get medical attention(no insurance)as they can't turn you away.
Crabby Caucasian Chick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 8, 2008

Stuck In Indy wrote:
<quoted text>
And the waiting room full of people with a cold that can only go the emergency room to get medical attention(no insurance)as they can't turn you away.
Just because you go in through the ER doesn't mean you can't be turned away. They're allowed to refuse to treat anyone that can not provide proof that they can pay IF it is a non life threatening situation. So all these people going in with a sore throat can still be refused treatment.
Stuck In Indy

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 9, 2008

Crabby Caucasian Chick wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you go in through the ER doesn't mean you can't be turned away. They're allowed to refuse to treat anyone that can not provide proof that they can pay IF it is a non life threatening situation. So all these people going in with a sore throat can still be refused treatment.
You need to review recent rulings for refusing medical treatment. They are not refused treatment, they wait in the same line you do, see the triage nurse in the same line you do. Only after you see the triage nurse, do you get in before anyone else. They don't want to face the legal battle, it's cheaper to treat them to fight the battle to refuse them.
Wally Gator

Ephrata, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 9, 2008

It's interesting that the people coming into the ER that really don't need to be there and cannot (or will not) pay their bill are also the people who demand the most, complain the most, and cooperate the least.....just how many William Johnsons are there in this world ???(People in healthcare know what I'm talking about).
No insurance

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 10, 2008

Wally Gator wrote:
It's interesting that the people coming into the ER that really don't need to be there and cannot (or will not) pay their bill are also the people who demand the most, complain the most, and cooperate the least.....just how many William Johnsons are there in this world ???(People in healthcare know what I'm talking about).
try living without health insurance and see how miserable it makes your life. If you have it you take it for granted and you can't imagine what it does to you with the outrageous costs. I can go without new tires or a new car or even decent food or cable TV new clothes or even heat, but sometimes you dont have a choice to go to the doctor or hospital

One unlucky accident and you're paying for a CT scan at $2500 and no break from insurance since you dont have it. Then someone breaks a leg and another $3000. A doctors visit $100 just to get a $2 antibiotic (multiply that times a few kids).its outrageous and a scam

its why people declare bankruptcy and lives are ruined. its the one completely uncontrollable expense and sometimes you dont have a choice but to go to the cheapest place possible and dealing with people like you who dont care and horrible people in the ER start to turn you into a horrible person yourself when youre waiting for hours and care only about your kids being healthy and safe
owhineybutts

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 10, 2008

LGC123 wrote:
You civilians cry about your medical treatment and short waits, try visiting the VA and just watch.

They will tell you to come in between the hours of 2am and 6am to be seen within a timely manner. Our first visit for an asthma attack and high blood pressure had us there over 9 hours like we can tell asthma what time to attack or high blood pressure what time to spike.

Visit a larger cities ER where they truly have 12-20 hour waits to be seen. 2-3 hours wait and you people are crying. Give me a break!
EMT in ED

Avon, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 10, 2008

No insurance wrote:
<quoted text>
try living without health insurance and see how miserable it makes your life. If you have it you take it for granted and you can't imagine what it does to you with the outrageous costs. I can go without new tires or a new car or even decent food or cable TV new clothes or even heat, but sometimes you dont have a choice to go to the doctor or hospital
One unlucky accident and you're paying for a CT scan at $2500 and no break from insurance since you dont have it. Then someone breaks a leg and another $3000. A doctors visit $100 just to get a $2 antibiotic (multiply that times a few kids).its outrageous and a scam
its why people declare bankruptcy and lives are ruined. its the one completely uncontrollable expense and sometimes you dont have a choice but to go to the cheapest place possible and dealing with people like you who dont care and horrible people in the ER start to turn you into a horrible person yourself when youre waiting for hours and care only about your kids being healthy and safe
Wow! Those are some pretty powerful words and I can tell by the intensity of your posting that "you've been there". Okay, I'm going to do this in a very nice way, as opposed to what I'm sure others will post. First of all, I do understand about people being without insurance at times, however, that really should be only a temporary thing. We have housekeeping staff that work 2 days a week just to get insurance. The medical/surgical floors have unit secretaries and patient care techs with Bachelors degrees and one has a Masters. These are the folks that work the equivalent of 2 days a week. Why? FOR THE INSURANCE. I'm sure they may feel it's demenaing to be stocking a patient's room and making only 12 or 13 dollars an hour, but for the little extra income they contribute to the family and for the sake of having insurance, they do it. I'm not trying to belittle your situation, but you'd think you would get a job , even a part-time one at Wal-Mart to get insurance if your situation is that bad. While I also realize that these events that you mentioned probably occured at a time your were temporarily without insurance and the bills compounded to the point where you had to file bankruptcy, the fact remains that you are the only one that can change your situation. If going to the doctor and paying a 100.00 for an office visit is not acceptable to you (and it shouldn't be), switch doctors. By not having insurance, you are not bound by the rules of an HMO. Find one that will charge on a sliding scale or read my previous post about the "minute clinics" that are at some drugstores and staffed by practitioners that can prescribe meds nad do so for a reasonable fee (I agree $100 is not reasonable). Finally, I'm sorry if I touched a nerve with my comments and suggestions and while everyone's story is different, you need to empower yourself and not bemoan the past. We had to file bankruptcy based on my spouse's failed attempt to have their own business. We kept our home and vehicle, but our credit rating is not very good, yet these things do go away with time and although you were "down in the dumps", it IS time to move past that and take charge of your life.
No insurance

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 10, 2008

our health care system is truly Darwinian

its set up for survival of the fittest which in this case means the richest or those who have corporate health care. unfortunately those are the people with the power to make some changes but because they have good insurance they dont understand what its like and think its just poor people who complain and want a handout that have the problems. Not true!!!!

could you easily pay $500/month or more for health care coverage for your family? Did you realize that thats what your company is paying for in your benefits, and probably a lot more than that if you have dental and optical.

If you making $30,000 yr and don't have company benefits, your health insurance premiums (not even counting your deductible or co-pay) can be about 1/3 or more of your take home pay!!! that leaves you about $1800/mo for food, rent, childcare, etc. could you afford insurance if you had a family to support and only made $30K/yr? try it!
ujlee

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 10, 2008

No insurance wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually some insurance co. are part of the problem as well.Some insurances state that if you need medical attention during non-office hours just go the ER and your bill will be covered.This causes some parents to run their kids to the ER if the kids come home from school with a cold are a really bad hangnail.Not having to pay the high ER fees they don't care about tying up ER's and then sit and complain about the poor service they get.They don't care that the Dr.is dealing with stroke or heart attack.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent WISH-TV 8 Indiana News Discussions

Search the WISH-TV 8 Indiana News Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Odds of winning scratch-off jackpot may be high... (Jul '08) Sun scott37167 26
3 arrested in alleged housing scam (Oct '08) Jul 1 Victim 37
6 dead in Henderson, Ky., plastics plant shooting (Jun '08) Jun 27 farmer 33
Man charged with Broad Ripple murder (Jan '13) Jun '14 Michael reintjes 3
Man sentenced for child solicitation (Feb '09) May '14 Pontificating 6
ATA discontinues all flights, files for bankruptcy (Apr '08) Apr '14 Succesor Companies 10
Tips for paying down debt (Feb '09) Mar '14 Christel 6
•••