Teens and guns: What's being done?

Full story: WFMZ

Allentown residents say they're living on edge, three teens are shot in a span of less than 48 hours.
Comments
21 - 40 of 43 Comments Last updated Sep 1, 2012
A-town Observer

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

We are Number One wrote:
I posted this before but A-town can't face the facts. The numbers used are current fron the FBI and uniform crime stats. For those who have not seen this here it is;
From a recent web page I read: "With a crime rate of 51 per one thousand residents, Allentown has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 20. Within Pennsylvania, more than 97% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Allentown. Importantly, when you compare Allentown to other communities of similar population, then Allentown crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Allentown does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most. The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined. Now let us turn to take a look at how Allentown does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Allentown. For Allentown, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout' s analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Allentown is one in 160. In addition, NeighborhoodScout found that a lot of the crime that takes place in Allentown is property crime. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In Allentown, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 23, which is a rate of 44 per one thousand population. Importantly, we found that Allentown has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation according to our analysis of FBI crime data. This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the largest. In fact, your chance of getting your car stolen if you live in Allentown is one in 270."
These are the facts A town , you may choose to ignore them
I did some research on the most dangerous cities in America. I found a list from March 2012. I can't seem to find Allentown on the list. Matter of fact, there are quite a few PA cities on it, but no Allentown. Really that bad though, huh?

59th- Norristown, Pa
51st- Philadelphia, Pa
20th- Harrisburg, Pa
2nd- Chester, Pa

http://sbynews.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-100-m...
A-town Observer

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

get out wrote:
<quoted text>
"Shot fired into Allentown home"
http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehigh...
Look Ward Rat, more gunplay in your fair city.
Retaliatory gunplay, it will pass. Drug dealers shooting at each other. Yes it is a fair city at worst.
A-town Observer

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

Heartfart wrote:
<quoted text>
If you read and keep in mind a little bit of crime in allentown you can't escape the fact that you don't reccommend a hotel on Hamiltom st just because it has a four star rating. Don't leave anything in your car and don't walk away from the hotel. Politicians and the mudhole will make allentown worse. Fence it in like a ghetto, closed parking and you still won't be safe driving there , if it ever gets built.
That is so stupid I won't even try to argue anything about this comment.
A-town Observer

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I did some research on the most dangerous cities in America. I found a list from March 2012. I can't seem to find Allentown on the list. Matter of fact, there are quite a few PA cities on it, but no Allentown. Really that bad though, huh?
59th- Norristown, Pa
51st- Philadelphia, Pa
20th- Harrisburg, Pa
2nd- Chester, Pa
I just noticed on this website ^ where they got there data. The same website you got your paragraph you always post (neighborhood scouts). What a coincidence huh? Go to the website I posted and click on one of the cities on the list. Lol.
Heartfart

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

It wasn't short or little . It was yous , like in yous guys ?
get out

Northampton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I used the wrong choice of word. I should have said short instead of little. Why would I say y'all, I'm not from the south. You took one week and compared it to Chicago. So you were corrected for your manipulative comparison. Nice try.
Look at the Ward Rat ignoring all the facts. What a pathetic piece of sh1t.

Here's another one for you, dumbazz:
http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehigh...

Robbery at gunpoint. Where ? YUP, YOUR HOOD. What's up Ward rat ? A lot of gunplay close to your house in the last few days, huh ?

get out

Northampton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Retaliatory gunplay, it will pass. Drug dealers shooting at each other. Yes it is a fair city at worst.
Where does it say that ? Right now it could just as easily be a stray bullet from one of these people's "90% scumbag neighbors".
What's really a shame is you're stupid enough to point point out the best case scenario is drug dealer retaliation. LMAO !!! Oh Ward Rat, you are an entertaining dumbazz.
get out

Northampton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
59th- Norristown, Pa
51st- Philadelphia, Pa
20th- Harrisburg, Pa
2nd- Chester, Pa
Neighborhood Scout is a subsidiary of Location, Inc.
Location, Inc. is a leading builder and source of location-based data and risk analysis information for corporate users nationwide.
Where did your website get their stats ? Ooooh riiiight... it doesn't say.
Such a dumbazz.
Makarky

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

get out wrote:
<quoted text>
Neighborhood Scout is a subsidiary of Location, Inc.
Location, Inc. is a leading builder and source of location-based data and risk analysis information for corporate users nationwide.
Where did your website get their stats ? Ooooh riiiight... it doesn't say.
Such a dumbazz.
Al Sharpton ?
Makarky

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 26, 2012

Sat. Aug 25 ,2012

Pizza delivery person held up by three black guys with guns. GetsumMF
KeepGitmoOpen

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 28, 2012

A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
59th- Norristown, Pa
51st- Philadelphia, Pa
20th- Harrisburg, Pa
2nd- Chester, Pa
shocked reading pa is not on that.
drugs r us

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 29, 2012

KeepGitmoOpen wrote:
<quoted text>shocked reading pa is not on that.
This is what Pa is all about ? Cover up anything that casts a bad light on it . Like Penn State . Like Bethlehem , 3 million in the good for 2012 . 4 million in debt for 2013 . Its the pension and welfare thing . More people are on it prematurely than are working to support it . Build more prisons , we'll be needing them.

Hard to believe , Juvenile shot a door , was chased by police and caught with a loaded gun , ammo , carbon dioxide cartridges , synthetic marijuana .(Referral to Juvenile Authorities will be sent to the teen by mail).

“Allentown the all AmericanCity”

Since: Sep 07

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 29, 2012

A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
59th- Norristown, Pa
51st- Philadelphia, Pa
20th- Harrisburg, Pa
2nd- Chester, Pa
A-town Observer, the web page you show is a blog from someone who made up what HE thought was the list of the dangerous cities. If you go to the website you listed and then pound down on any city that is on that list, it takes you directly to Neighborhood Scout. That is where my report on Allentown came from. All you have to do is enter Allentown and there the crime report is. Then read the crime report. That is if you are able.

Allentown, the cesspool of the Lehigh Valley, we spew out crime everywhere.

“Allentown the all AmericanCity”

Since: Sep 07

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 29, 2012

ABOUT ALLENTOWN CRIME RATES

With a crime rate of 51 per one thousand residents, Allentown has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 20. Within Pennsylvania, more than 97% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Allentown.

Importantly, when you compare Allentown to other communities of similar population, then Allentown crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Allentown does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most.

The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined.

Now let us turn to take a look at how Allentown does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Allentown.

For Allentown, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Allentown is one in 160.

In addition, NeighborhoodScout found that a lot of the crime that takes place in Allentown is property crime. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In Allentown, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 23, which is a rate of 44 per one thousand population.

Importantly, we found that Allentown has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation according to our analysis of FBI crime data. This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the largest. In fact, your chance of getting your car stolen if you live in Allentown is one in 270.
get out

Northampton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 29, 2012

KeepGitmoOpen wrote:
<quoted text>shocked reading pa is not on that.
That list isn't worth the paper it's written on if Reading isn't on it.
KeepGitmoOpen

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 29, 2012

get out wrote:
<quoted text>
That list isn't worth the paper it's written on if Reading isn't on it.
has to be something up with it. I didnt look for myself but i find it hard that Reading PA isnt toward the top. That place has to give philly a run for its money to being worst area in PA for violent crimes.
I will say been seeing a lot of shootings happening in this LHV area the last month or two. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy knowing the walk to snd from the hockey arena is safe..... They better allow you to check your gun at the door to pick up for the way back after the game to run the gauntlet back to your car.
KeepGitmoOpen

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 29, 2012

Average 911 response time
10minutes
Average 1911 response time
2 seconds.
Reading is a sewer

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 29, 2012

#2 for worst places to live right behind the bottom of a septic tank.
Nocturnal Admissions

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 30, 2012

I would suggest getting a permit and arming yourself.
Natasha Fatah

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Aug 31, 2012

Send us your immigrants . We have a labor shortage in Canada .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent WFMZ Discussions

Search the WFMZ Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Talkin' trash: garbage collection nights changi... 19 min silly rabbit 3
69 News Week In Review Jul 27 Richard Kranium 1
Town meeting sets up tough crowd for Rep. Paul ... Jul 26 conductor 8
Wernersville man soils pants inside store, stea... Jul 26 Why is ths news 1
Police: Man set fire to house, robbed man weeks... Jul 23 silly rabbit 1
Arena seats arrive in style Jul 21 silly rabbit 10
Health Beat: Down syndrome: The key to Alzheime... Jul 21 John Leslie 1
•••

Allentown Conditions