Teens and guns: What's being done?

Teens and guns: What's being done?

There are 43 comments on the WFMZ story from Aug 24, 2012, titled Teens and guns: What's being done?. In it, WFMZ reports that:

Allentown residents say they're living on edge, three teens are shot in a span of less than 48 hours.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Allentown the all AmericanCity”

Since: Sep 07

Allentown, PA

#1 Aug 24, 2012
What is the plump king doing, nothing but sitting on his throne in his office. Or he will have all the clergy and the neighborhood organizations at a meeting and say how we all must work together to teach the youth and the next night the same thing happens again. With one of the worst school system in the state and no discipline in the schools what do you expect. Youth gangs are taking over the city and nothing is being done. It is not safe in our city at night and now it isn't safe during the day.

Allentown, the cesspool of the Lehigh Valley.
A-town Observer

Reading, PA

#2 Aug 24, 2012
We are Number One wrote:
What is the plump king doing, nothing but sitting on his throne in his office. Or he will have all the clergy and the neighborhood organizations at a meeting and say how we all must work together to teach the youth and the next night the same thing happens again. With one of the worst school system in the state and no discipline in the schools what do you expect. Youth gangs are taking over the city and nothing is being done. It is not safe in our city at night and now it isn't safe during the day.
Allentown, the cesspool of the Lehigh Valley.
Allentown is not unique in statistical characteristics of violence and crime. With the exception of a handful of third world countries, it is an epidemic exclusively held by the USA. A city I like to compare to Allentown is Hartford, Conn. Not only does it mimic the close proximity to NYC, but it has the same large puerto rican population (within a couple percentage points of Allentown), and has the same problems with crime (mostly drug related), and is the third largest city within their state. Both have the burden of harboring NY/NJ trash and their culture that is looked at as "cool". Sad but true. Things are being done. More police have been hired and community leaders and organisations are doing what they can. If you have any suggestions on what the mayor could do, I would like to hear them. Yes, he is focused on the revitalization because it is a necessity for this city to survive, but he is also coming up with new ways and strategies to make us more safe. Hopefully the violence subsides and no more kids are killed. It really is a shame. God bless the families of the victims.
Heartfart coneticut

Reading, PA

#3 Aug 24, 2012
Go Bankrupt , the city was a sewer 30 years ago and is getting worse. You gotta go back to the 30's to get anything nice out of the city. All the big N'oreasten cities are going the way of the latino drug culture. Allentown Pa , Bethlehem , and Easton are nowhere any white people want to live . A few pockets where you walk no farther than your front porch if you don't want to get shot or mugged but they will soon be assimilated into the culture of violence .
A-town Observer

Reading, PA

#4 Aug 24, 2012
Heartfart coneticut wrote:
Go Bankrupt , the city was a sewer 30 years ago and is getting worse. You gotta go back to the 30's to get anything nice out of the city. All the big N'oreasten cities are going the way of the latino drug culture. Allentown Pa , Bethlehem , and Easton are nowhere any white people want to live . A few pockets where you walk no farther than your front porch if you don't want to get shot or mugged but they will soon be assimilated into the culture of violence .
The city wasn't a sewer 30 yrs ago. But I do agree that the N.E. states have gone the way of what you said. Thanks P.R.
fu2wfmz

Scranton, PA

#5 Aug 25, 2012
wat shuld b dune: wfmz shuld teech dem muthers in da latin kings, crips, and blood how 2 shoot better---so they only kill 1 another, no innocent victims, and no wounded bloods, crips, latin kings, who get 2 spend rest of their lives on welfare.

so, wfmz, please teech up dem bloods, crips, latin kings.

thank you. god bless.
fu2wfmz

Scranton, PA

#6 Aug 25, 2012
a-town was very safe even in 1980.

a-town and whitehall safe in 1980, with 2 in morning movies at lehigh mall you could walk home from without a care in the world.

fact.
Peace & Love

Allentown, PA

#7 Aug 25, 2012
What a bunch of toads!
Ceegee

United States

#9 Aug 25, 2012
Slum lords keep filling the neighborhoods with scumbags. Are you part of the problem?
Hmm

Reading, PA

#10 Aug 25, 2012
Vibrant cultural enrichment strikes again! Yay diversity! Allentown is sooo progressive!
Heartfart coneticut

Reading, PA

#11 Aug 25, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
The city wasn't a sewer 30 yrs ago. But I do agree that the N.E. states have gone the way of what you said. Thanks P.R.
I got lost in that city maybe I was wrong about the years ago ? Could have been 32 yrs. That same year I got lost in Patterson NJ .
I locked my wife in the car and asked about seven people for directions as I was driving aeound in circles with a map. How stupid I can think back now, but out of the crowd on the corner one guy came forward and said , "I'll tell you how to get out of here" and did. Luck, met the right guy ? They're not always bad but in my travels they are the two cities I never want to get near.

You're right though , the NE is becoming a drug cukture of , "we don't care who dies by our hand because that's how we all will die" . Drugs , Crips , bloods, gangs , or wanna bees , they all carry guns and so should all the law abiding citizens . Go Army where they don't **** around with weapons and teach you how a head shot drops them cold . I carry and sit on my deck with a locked and loaded .
A-town Observer

Reading, PA

#12 Aug 25, 2012
<quoted text>
I got lost in that city maybe I was wrong about the years ago ? Could have been 32 yrs. That same year I got lost in Patterson NJ .
I locked my wife in the car and asked about seven people for directions as I was driving aeound in circles with a map. How stupid I can think back now, but out of the crowd on the corner one guy came forward and said , "I'll tell you how to get out of here" and did. Luck, met the right guy ? They're not always bad but in my travels they are the two cities I never want to get near.
You're right though , the NE is becoming a drug cukture of , "we don't care who dies by our hand because that's how we all will die" . Drugs , Crips , bloods, gangs , or wanna bees , they all carry guns and so should all the law abiding citizens . Go Army where they don't **** around with weapons and teach you how a head shot drops them cold . I carry and sit on my deck with a locked and loaded .
I agree. But Allentown isn't half as crime ridden as Hartford or Patterson. They both make this city look like the Hamptons. For the most part, if you mind your neck here, your safe. And it is getting better not worse. Give this administration a chance and credit for what they have done.
Peace & Love

Allentown, PA

#13 Aug 25, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. But Allentown isn't half as crime ridden as Hartford or Patterson. They both make this city look like the Hamptons. For the most part, if you mind your neck here, your safe. And it is getting better not worse. Give this administration a chance and credit for what they have done.
Are you serious? Really do you truly believe the BS you spew?
Heartfart

Reading, PA

#14 Aug 26, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. But Allentown isn't half as crime ridden as Hartford or Patterson. They both make this city look like the Hamptons. For the most part, if you mind your neck here, your safe. And it is getting better not worse. Give this administration a chance and credit for what they have done.
On a comparison with Chicago your about even population per shootings . Chicago has the record .13 shot in four hours . You only had three. The administration and police have 0 control. Both their pensions will help to increase shootings .
A-town Observer

Reading, PA

#16 Aug 26, 2012
Heartfart wrote:
<quoted text>
On a comparison with Chicago your about even population per shootings . Chicago has the record .13 shot in four hours . You only had three. The administration and police have 0 control. Both their pensions will help to increase shootings .
You can't take one week out of the year in Allentown and compare it with the most dangerous city in America. If you keep posting BS,then I would like to see proof. Crime is down in Allentown. One little crime spree and yous want to compare it's crime with Hartford, Chi., and Patterson. What a joke.
get out

Northampton, PA

#17 Aug 26, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't take one week out of the year in Allentown and compare it with the most dangerous city in America. If you keep posting BS,then I would like to see proof. Crime is down in Allentown. One little crime spree and yous want to compare it's crime with Hartford, Chi., and Patterson. What a joke.
Ya know Ward Rat, you can keep ignoring this, but it doesn't make it any less true. It just makes you look more stupid.

"With a crime rate of 51 per one thousand residents, Allentown has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 20."
Heartfart

Reading, PA

#20 Aug 26, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Little crime spree ? Murders

Try y'all instead of yous .

“Allentown the all AmericanCity”

Since: Sep 07

Allentown, PA

#21 Aug 26, 2012
I posted this before but A-town can't face the facts. The numbers used are current fron the FBI and uniform crime stats. For those who have not seen this here it is;

From a recent web page I read: "With a crime rate of 51 per one thousand residents, Allentown has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 20. Within Pennsylvania, more than 97% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Allentown. Importantly, when you compare Allentown to other communities of similar population, then Allentown crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Allentown does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most. The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined. Now let us turn to take a look at how Allentown does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Allentown. For Allentown, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout' s analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Allentown is one in 160. In addition, NeighborhoodScout found that a lot of the crime that takes place in Allentown is property crime. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In Allentown, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 23, which is a rate of 44 per one thousand population. Importantly, we found that Allentown has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation according to our analysis of FBI crime data. This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the largest. In fact, your chance of getting your car stolen if you live in Allentown is one in 270."

These are the facts A town , you may choose to ignore them
get out

Northampton, PA

#22 Aug 26, 2012
A-town Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
"Shot fired into Allentown home"
http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehigh...

Look Ward Rat, more gunplay in your fair city.

Heartfart

Reading, PA

#23 Aug 26, 2012
We are Number One wrote:
I posted this before but A-town can't face the facts. The numbers used are current fron the FBI and uniform crime stats. For those who have not seen this here it is;
From a recent web page I read: "With a crime rate of 51 per one thousand residents, Allentown has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 20. Within Pennsylvania, more than 97% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Allentown. Importantly, when you compare Allentown to other communities of similar population, then Allentown crime rate (violent and property crimes combined) is quite a bit higher than average. Regardless of how Allentown does relative to all communities in America of all sizes, when NeighborhoodScout compared it to communities of similar population size, its crime rate per thousand residents stands out as higher than most. The crime data that NeighborhoodScout used for this analysis are the seven offenses from the uniform crime reports, collected by the FBI from 17,000 local law enforcement agencies, and include both violent and property crimes, combined. Now let us turn to take a look at how Allentown does for violent crimes specifically, and then how it does for property crimes. This is important because the overall crime rate can be further illuminated by understanding if violent crime or property crimes (or both) are the major contributors to the general rate of crime in Allentown. For Allentown, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included forcible rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to NeighborhoodScout' s analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Allentown is one in 160. In addition, NeighborhoodScout found that a lot of the crime that takes place in Allentown is property crime. Property crimes that are tracked for this analysis are burglary, larceny over fifty dollars, motor vehicle theft, and arson. In Allentown, your chance of becoming a victim of a property crime is one in 23, which is a rate of 44 per one thousand population. Importantly, we found that Allentown has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation according to our analysis of FBI crime data. This is compared to communities of all sizes, from the smallest to the largest. In fact, your chance of getting your car stolen if you live in Allentown is one in 270."
These are the facts A town , you may choose to ignore them
If you read and keep in mind a little bit of crime in allentown you can't escape the fact that you don't reccommend a hotel on Hamiltom st just because it has a four star rating. Don't leave anything in your car and don't walk away from the hotel. Politicians and the mudhole will make allentown worse. Fence it in like a ghetto, closed parking and you still won't be safe driving there , if it ever gets built.
A-town Observer

Reading, PA

#24 Aug 26, 2012
Heartfart wrote:
<quoted text>
Little crime spree ? Murders
Try y'all instead of yous .
I used the wrong choice of word. I should have said short instead of little. Why would I say y'all, I'm not from the south. You took one week and compared it to Chicago. So you were corrected for your manipulative comparison. Nice try.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

WFMZ Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Signage would be a show of respect for Allentow... 19 hr silly rabbit 1
News Allentown Cigar Factory Artists' Studios holds ... Sat silly rabbit 3
News Man tells police he earned about $60 as get-awa... Sep 21 silly rabbit 1
News Crime in Allentown down in 2015, officials say Sep 20 silly rabbit 1
News Allentown mayor nominates fire chief Sep 19 silly rabbit 1
News Investigation into Diocese of Allentown will be... Sep 19 silly rabbit 6
News Allentown seeks entrepreneurs for 'Retail Mosaic' Sep 17 silly rabbit 3
More from around the web