Teachers Discuss Strike; Parents Worr...

Teachers Discuss Strike; Parents Worried About No School

There are 163 comments on the WFMZ story from Aug 27, 2009, titled Teachers Discuss Strike; Parents Worried About No School. In it, WFMZ reports that:

Will they or won't they? The teacher's union for the Saucon Valley School District in Northampton County met this afternoon to discuss a strike.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Aggitated Grandmother

AOL

#1 Aug 27, 2009
Alot of people want raises and deserve them. Wake up greedy teachers. times are hard. Visit the unemployement lines. Don't you know from your own experiences that sometimes we just don't have it to give. You are spoiled, selfish, self centered people. How much more do you ask. You work 180 days a yr. There are civil servant and medical people that do not make and have what you have. If you don't like it quit and let someone who actually would love to have a good paying teaching position have your job. It may be your right to strike, but it should be the school districts right, except for your powerful union to fire you. We all want things we just can't afford, and we can't afford to pay you more. Be grateful for your jobs and stop stressing the parents and children by your thoughless, selfish acts. GO TO WORK OR GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
freaking arlen

Allentown, PA

#2 Aug 27, 2009
time the taxpayers start calling the shots.
freaking arlen

Allentown, PA

#3 Aug 27, 2009
IT'S time the taxpayers start calling the shots. (sorry, public school education)
one sister

Northampton, PA

#4 Aug 27, 2009
i am sorry for the teachers but we all are hurting.We all have to pay for our benefits and taking major pay cuts.
ken

Bethlehem, PA

#5 Aug 27, 2009
Now come on, you have a masters degree and you teach 1st or second grade, yes you should get $90,000 a year. I mean you deserve it, giving out cookies and milk and then nap time, and then you have to grade the kids art work. And then you have to ask parents to donate tissues, pencils and everything else, I know how hard your job must be. I mean with the weekends, holidays, inclement weather and summers off it must be frustrating. I am sure the blue collar worker, working 40-60 hrs a week, maybe even two jobs, having to work and I mean actually having to sweat not being in an air conditioned facility, on weekends, holidays and having to work when it snows, I am sure they will support you when you strike. It is amazing how all this education reduces ones common sense in thanking god they have a job, Arrogant Teachers!!!!!!
crazy

Allentown, PA

#6 Aug 27, 2009
it is time the sv parents start walking those walk ways and protesting against this. take a stand
anonymous

AOL

#7 Aug 27, 2009
first of all a threat of a strike is pressure on the parents,but the sad part is that parents are wondering what they should do with their kids if a strike occurs.The answer to that is give up luxaries that are not needed and stay home and take care of your kids.I have done it and I gave up alot plus took a toll on my credit rating letting a vehicle go through being repoed.But you know what my kids are well worth that,plus when I look back at all the stuff I did and the trouble I was able to get into with my parents working and not being around me,I do not ever want my kids doing the same.And the lame excuse of the economy is sickening too.The economy didn't tell you to get a house you can't afford instead of a mobile or apartment,the economy didn't force you to buy an expensive tv,the economy didn't tell you to buy a brand new car or a car with a loan,instead of just getting a car that gets you from point a to point b.So it is not the economies fault you don't know what to do with your children,it is your own fault.
della

Coplay, PA

#8 Aug 27, 2009
Aggitated Grandmother wrote:
Alot of people want raises and deserve them. Wake up greedy teachers. times are hard. Visit the unemployement lines. Don't you know from your own experiences that sometimes we just don't have it to give. You are spoiled, selfish, self centered people. How much more do you ask. You work 180 days a yr. There are civil servant and medical people that do not make and have what you have. If you don't like it quit and let someone who actually would love to have a good paying teaching position have your job. It may be your right to strike, but it should be the school districts right, except for your powerful union to fire you. We all want things we just can't afford, and we can't afford to pay you more. Be grateful for your jobs and stop stressing the parents and children by your thoughless, selfish acts. GO TO WORK OR GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.
right on
jones

AOL

#9 Aug 27, 2009
Demko said they won't vote again on the same proposal they already rejected. It looks like strike and they can't keep the parents out. Do it and show the teachers how the rooms don't have to be left a mess like they've left them for the custodians to clean and the school kids will be more appreciative of parents than they are of greedy teachers.

The only reason they would go back now is for the money , not the kids.

Let Puerta drop the last offer down to 0 if he hasn't already done it.
jones

AOL

#10 Aug 27, 2009
anonymous wrote:
first of all a threat of a strike is pressure on the parents,but the sad part is that parents are wondering what they should do with their kids if a strike occurs.The answer to that is give up luxaries that are not needed and stay home and take care of your kids.I have done it and I gave up alot plus took a toll on my credit rating letting a vehicle go through being repoed.But you know what my kids are well worth that,plus when I look back at all the stuff I did and the trouble I was able to get into with my parents working and not being around me,I do not ever want my kids doing the same.And the lame excuse of the economy is sickening too.The economy didn't tell you to get a house you can't afford instead of a mobile or apartment,the economy didn't force you to buy an expensive tv,the economy didn't tell you to buy a brand new car or a car with a loan,instead of just getting a car that gets you from point a to point b.So it is not the economies fault you don't know what to do with your children,it is your own fault.
All the courses the students would be taking are on the internet. Use your PC at home or the ones in school. We've already bought and paid for them. Showing the teachers that you want to learn and can do it without them is up to you. Hit your computers up without the distraction that the teachers have fomented and you will learn more and drive this greed North on Main st and out of town.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#11 Aug 28, 2009
Saucon Valley teachers are lucky they don't work in the BASD.You're all GREEDY. I agree with every comment on here and feel bad for the kids and the people in the SV school district.

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#12 Aug 28, 2009
ken wrote:
Now come on, you have a masters degree and you teach 1st or second grade, yes you should get $90,000 a year. I mean you deserve it, giving out cookies and milk and then nap time, and then you have to grade the kids art work. And then you have to ask parents to donate tissues, pencils and everything else, I know how hard your job must be. I mean with the weekends, holidays, inclement weather and summers off it must be frustrating. I am sure the blue collar worker, working 40-60 hrs a week, maybe even two jobs, having to work and I mean actually having to sweat not being in an air conditioned facility, on weekends, holidays and having to work when it snows, I am sure they will support you when you strike. It is amazing how all this education reduces ones common sense in thanking god they have a job, Arrogant Teachers!!!!!!
You tell 'em Ken!(you're funny)
mom of Sv kid

AOL

#13 Aug 28, 2009
anonymous wrote:
First off some mom and dad can't pay 4 child care there just geting by with 1 working car and rent and all the mimes of life like food and that stuff. Heck my kid want to play sports they can't even do that because it coast alot of money that we don't even have. SV T. all they want is the money anyway only about 5 % of them care about the kids. It was like that when I went there still is. Over 1/2 of them don't even pay taxes here so what they care. Fire them tell them here is what you are get like it or leave we will find other people to come in. BASD t. would love a job right now.
Mom

AOL

#14 Aug 28, 2009
fire them all
bill

United States

#16 Aug 28, 2009
these are difficult times, don't make it worse for everyone...especially our children
Bill

Lebanon, NJ

#17 Aug 28, 2009
Fire the entire lot of them. Let them go out and find real jobs. There are more than enough fresh out of college ready to go teachers to take the place of these money stealing thieves.
TAXPAYER

Allentown, PA

#18 Aug 28, 2009
Dear Teachers

If you are not happy working for the Saucon Valley School District seek employment else where. There are teachers out there looking for work with the children's best interest at heart.
sign or walk

Allentown, PA

#19 Aug 28, 2009
TAXPAYER wrote:
Dear Teachers
If you are not happy working for the Saucon Valley School District seek employment else where. There are teachers out there looking for work with the children's best interest at heart.
I totally agree with you.. they need to stop thinking about them selves and think of the children they are hurting, considering 85% of them have kids.. would they have done this if there kids were in this school??? probably not... SV teachers stop being so greedy...

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#20 Aug 28, 2009
What needs to be done is eliminate the good for nothing unions. All they do is create problems. Maybe at one time in history they did some good for people and job security, but now a days all you see is the chaos they leave behind.
jones

Whitehall, PA

#21 Aug 28, 2009
Lets all not lose sight of the fact that we pay for most of the teachers medical insurance when they retire in their 50s , but we keep paying after they get on Social security and Medicare.

It's supplemental insurance offered to every retiree of psers that we pay for after they reach their full retirement age. Most working people have seen their medical premiums increase and can't afford supplemental insurance but we have to keep paying for these scum bags.

Something is very wrong and unconstitutional about trying to make
ends meet while these super elitists suckle off the taxpayer teat while you have to pay your school tax before home repairs food and clothes.

Fire all of them Puerta or quit .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

WFMZ Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Meghan McCain Rips Bristol For Not Voting (Nov '10) May 16 American_Infidel 125
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) May 7 weapon X 168
News Woman arrested for snorting coke with child in car (Aug '14) Apr '18 WNC 20
News Dow Jones Closes Over 10,000 For First Time In ... (Oct '09) Apr '18 jones 3
News Alfonso Picone defrauds elderly couple; swindle... (May '15) Mar '18 no thanks given 70
News Google Wants To Control Your Home (May '11) Jan '18 C Kersey 3
News Don't Be Sexless After 40 (Apr '10) Jan '18 Jill 67