Mayor Wants Eminent Domain As An Opti...

Mayor Wants Eminent Domain As An Option For Hockey Arena Project - Regional News - Lehigh Valley ...

There are 85 comments on the WFMZ story from May 18, 2011, titled Mayor Wants Eminent Domain As An Option For Hockey Arena Project - Regional News - Lehigh Valley .... In it, WFMZ reports that:

People whose properties are in the way of the proposed hockey arena at 7th and Hamilton streets in Allentown say the first contest could be played in court instead of on the ice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

citizen

Philadelphia, PA

#42 May 19, 2011
The mayor, city council, and their few minions
are liars.... you know: their mouths were moving.
Citizens from the east to the west all despise
this covert and probably criminal behavior foisted on us by the local government goons.
Lil Jim

Bethlehem, PA

#43 May 19, 2011
muhlenberg wrote:
People said the same thing about reading putting a hockey rink downtown and it turned out great. Funny how people act like they cant find another place to move to with all the vacant houses and bussiness. They should at least be compensated more then market value if they force them to move. Class action lawsuit....your a fool...
- Why should business HAVE TO move if they don't want to? Who is the mayor to tell them that an arena..in a location no one but he wants....is 'more important' than their existing businesses. You would not remove me from my privately owned business. You would not!
Lil Jim

Bethlehem, PA

#44 May 19, 2011
Joseph wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...and people wonder what is wrong with the world. Homophobic, racist, insensitive, and utterly ridiculous comments like this. Nobody can take you seriously if you act like a clown lost in the dark ages.
Modernize the city. Bring in businesses that attract outside money. Allow the capitalism you propose to support to work.
So Joseph, you feel that taking peoples businesses away from them without allowing them some input should be considered 'capitalism'? There ARE locations for an arena in the valley without pulling the whole eminent domain crap. There are many reasons why people will not travel into downtown allentown. Instead of asking concerned citizens about their feedback and actually listening, the mayor has simply decided to cram this project down our throats. He'll be long gone by the time anyone in this area is willing to admit that the whole project was a failure.
Fred

Allentown, PA

#45 May 19, 2011
Why not on the old Mack site on Lehigh St.?
After the sink hole the city said that they could not rebuild on the 22 N. 7th St. Site, the ground was way too unstable,
But now the city can build on it, WT_.
And there is way to little PARKING in town
Stand at 7th and Hamilton and you get hitup by panhandlers.
Nice, and now they juct want to take way for the business owners,
Sends a message to anyone looking to open shop, NOT in Allentown.

“Like it or not...”

Since: Nov 10

Lehigh County

#46 May 19, 2011
Hey Ed, how can a business profit if you rip it down for a hockey arena that so many oppose? Seems those that are like Mr. Hong are making it enough to pass it down to their families. I have news for you - if you build it, they may come - but they will not stay and eat and drink and shop in Allenntown. Have you been outside your office Ed?
concerned citizen

Catasauqua, PA

#47 May 19, 2011
So, how much do we all think the Myor is getting paid off for this decision? So much for the all American City. That does not pertain to small businesses, only large corps. You are setting a great exAMPLE TO THE vALLEY mayor. This is the first step in loosing the arena. Just like when they tried toput it at 9th and Hamilton.
Steve Bachman

Bethlehem, PA

#48 May 19, 2011
Total Waste of MONEY and TIME -- The CITY OF ALLENTOWN AND THE MAYOR ARE BULLYING BUSINESS OWNERS AND RESIDENTS by the use/threat of "eminent domain" by Mayor Ed Pawlowski, and the city council -- The SAME RULES should be applied to Mayor Ed Pawlowski and the city council members' HOMES as well -- What's good for the goose -- is good for the gander -- TAKE THEIR HOUSES !!! It's only FAIR.
Steve Bachman, Stockertown, PA

“Your Own Peace Prize Inside”

Since: Mar 07

Hyannis, Mass

#49 May 19, 2011
Isn't that site where the building fell down?
because the ground has too many limestone caves...
Yeah, that's a good idea....
The Iron Pigs stadium was on vacant land, virtually abandoned by it's owners.
BIG difference.
A-town

Bethlehem, PA

#50 May 19, 2011
It is time for the mayor and city council to realize Allentown is a big city and there is more to the city than a downtown area. We have heard constant big plans and constant taking money out of tax payers pockets into downtown area for revitalization it gets old year in and year out. Same result people don't want to come to the city due to crime and filthyness. These were reasons why we lost Hess's and Lehs as they moved out of the city. Allentown does not have the charm as Bethlehem and people feel safe. The mayor and city council have other places they can choose from. The recently close Allentown State Hospital campus could be one option plenty of parking spaces and feeling of wilderness and space and clean area similar to coca cola park not the feeling cramp in there. I implore the mayor and city council of Allentown to stop being narrow minded and realize there is more to Allentown than your downtown but there is an entire city you need to be concern with there are for sale signs all over your city not just your downtown area.
Kim

Easton, PA

#51 May 19, 2011
Mayor Ed just gets worse and worse. I just don't understand how a hockey arena can be called a project of "public use", which is supposedly required in order to invoke eminent domain. I guess that means admission to all events at the arena will be free to the public!
catblue422

Huntingdon, PA

#52 May 19, 2011
End all Eminent Domain government land grabbing
Downtown merchant

Allentown, PA

#53 May 19, 2011
I feel for those who will be affected by this move to have the arena in downtown Allentown, especially those who will find employment in the area because of this Project. This is a great move for the city, the Mayor is being more than fair by offerring the retailers the services of helping them relocate and offering fair market value for their properties. I hope that the arena and the events that are to take place in it will generate growth to the downtown area. we desperately need it especially in the downtown area.
Stewie

Darby, PA

#54 May 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley Hospital now owns Mack World HQ.
Fred wrote:
Why not on the old Mack site on Lehigh St.?
After the sink hole the city said that they could not rebuild on the 22 N. 7th St. Site, the ground was way too unstable,
But now the city can build on it, WT_.
And there is way to little PARKING in town
Stand at 7th and Hamilton and you get hitup by panhandlers.
Nice, and now they juct want to take way for the business owners,
Sends a message to anyone looking to open shop, NOT in Allentown.
john

Slatington, PA

#55 May 19, 2011
pathfinder wrote:
The arena is a good project for the city. With the advent of the suburban shopping malls, it would be impossible to revitalize the center city to what it once use to be. The Sovereign Center has done wonders for Reading, where there is a much higher crime rate than Allentown. most of these "businesses" serve only the low-lifes. They can be moved any where.
The waterfront site is dead for many reasons. No available parking is one, no infrastructure to handle the traffic. The quality businesses in center city will grow because of the arena. This arena will be used for much more than hockey. That will mean many people will come into Allentown. The Holiday Inn will prosper as well as many of the restaurants. If the Americus gets it's act together, it will also benefit from this project. Continue with the project Mayor!
How did the Sovereign center help Reading? The crime rate isn't any better - the criminal just have new targets
Fred

Allentown, PA

#56 May 19, 2011
The 12th and Lehigh St. across from the VW dealer an open lot, lots of room for Parking, near the highway system.
and Yes that is 22 North 7th St.
as per the City, "Unstable Ground"
and they took it for a parking lot
that was the only safe use.
Linda

Macungie, PA

#57 May 19, 2011
SHAME !! I would think that the money the city would spend for this project would be better spent on schools and making the Allentown Police MORE visible .
Why can I drive thru bethlehem and see numerous officers and as soon as I get to Allentown seems as if the police are AFRAID to be visible ?
BUILD the areana if you must BUT somewhere safer and more easily accessed.
Bob Siler

Lehighton, PA

#58 May 19, 2011
Fred wrote:
The 12th and Lehigh St. across from the VW dealer an open lot, lots of room for Parking, near the highway system.
and Yes that is 22 North 7th St.
as per the City, "Unstable Ground"
and they took it for a parking lot
that was the only safe use.
That was the old Mack 5C Plant.....I agree that would be a good location....pretty soon there will be more vacant Mack sites...that Company will not be in the LV much longer.

“Your Own Peace Prize Inside”

Since: Mar 07

Hyannis, Mass

#59 May 19, 2011
john wrote:
<quoted text>
How did the Sovereign center help Reading? The crime rate isn't any better - the criminal just have new targets
Have you ever been to the Sovereign center?
The police presence when there is an event is overwelming....
HMMMM why is that?
kutztown

Bethlehem, PA

#60 May 19, 2011
bread and circuses didnt save rome either
Common Sense

Newark, DE

#61 May 19, 2011
Bob Siler wrote:
<quoted text>
That was the old Mack 5C Plant.....I agree that would be a good location....pretty soon there will be more vacant Mack sites...that Company will not be in the LV much longer.
I LOVE the idea of a arena in that area, and there are a lot of open spaces, but I don't know if the old 5C plant or any one parcel of land in that area has enough room for the arena. The arena would actually be the ideal solution to the whole Queen City Airport issue that keeps popping up - the area would have great access to I-78, and the business would really help that side of town, which is always neglected.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

WFMZ Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Get furnace checked or face a fine (Nov '14) Jun 22 weaponX 138
News Obama Receives Rock Star Reception In Ireland (May '11) May '17 Norwegian Supremacy 52
News Daycare kids encouraged to curse on camera (Oct '16) Mar '17 silly rabbit 5
News Boa Constrictor Found On Front Porch Of Home In... (Jul '09) Feb '17 Dee 33
News Quakertown board gives final approval to new su... (May '14) Feb '17 slappy 26
News Mad Dad Charged With Assault On TV News Photogr... (Sep '09) Jan '17 syxbysyx 35
News Google Wants To Control Your Home (May '11) Dec '16 reviewrays 2
More from around the web