Mayor Wants Eminent Domain As An Option For Hockey Arena Project - Regional News - Lehigh Valley ...

Full story: WFMZ 85
People whose properties are in the way of the proposed hockey arena at 7th and Hamilton streets in Allentown say the first contest could be played in court instead of on the ice. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
joe from bethlehem

Catasauqua, PA

#1 May 18, 2011
i agree people said the iron pigs wouldnt last and they did and they been settinh attendance records go mayor
cheryl

Schnecksville, PA

#2 May 18, 2011
i would never go to a hockey game in downtown allentown. that area has too much crime. i'd be afraid of my life!!
Dwayne

Washington, DC

#4 May 18, 2011
Guess the mayor hasn't learned his lesson yet on overstepping his bounds. He's already had his cell phone ban come back to slap him. Now he want's to COST the city money trying to force people out. Wait til they all get together & file a nice class action against the city. Let's see how much money the city's willing to lose.
DowntownAllentow n

Allentown, PA

#5 May 18, 2011
The city council meeting was a total joke--merely a show. Neither the mayor nor the council members care a whit about what the public thinks. The contempt that they had for the people who showed up was blatant. They believe they know what's best for us, despite how many public projects have failed. It's despicable that this was rammed through as quickly as it has been.
atown

Allentown, PA

#6 May 18, 2011
We have 90 year old gas pipes pothole roads and an old bridge that's about to fall and the Mayor want a hockey arena. Oh by the way how did the Lehigh Valley Extreme hockey team and arena work out.
muhlenberg

Reading, PA

#7 May 18, 2011
People said the same thing about reading putting a hockey rink downtown and it turned out great. Funny how people act like they cant find another place to move to with all the vacant houses and bussiness. They should at least be compensated more then market value if they force them to move. Class action lawsuit....your a fool...
pathfinder

Allentown, PA

#8 May 18, 2011
The arena is a good project for the city. With the advent of the suburban shopping malls, it would be impossible to revitalize the center city to what it once use to be. The Sovereign Center has done wonders for Reading, where there is a much higher crime rate than Allentown. most of these "businesses" serve only the low-lifes. They can be moved any where.

The waterfront site is dead for many reasons. No available parking is one, no infrastructure to handle the traffic. The quality businesses in center city will grow because of the arena. This arena will be used for much more than hockey. That will mean many people will come into Allentown. The Holiday Inn will prosper as well as many of the restaurants. If the Americus gets it's act together, it will also benefit from this project. Continue with the project Mayor!
pathfinder

Allentown, PA

#9 May 18, 2011
atown wrote:
We have 90 year old gas pipes pothole roads and an old bridge that's about to fall and the Mayor want a hockey arena. Oh by the way how did the Lehigh Valley Extreme hockey team and arena work out.
Get your facts right. Those 90 year old gas pipes while in Allentown are the property and the problem of UGI, not Allentown. That old bridge you are referring to has both federal and state dollars attached to it. The city does not own that bridge. So again there is nothing the mayor can do about it.
outraged

Nazareth, PA

#10 May 18, 2011
shills.
The gaul to claim to speak for 118,000 people.
And an ethics professor too.
Why did you even bother to let those American people speak their hearts when the result was predetermined?
No one else even knew about this scam.
It got one day in the paper.
There are at least 50,000 hispanics living here in town with zero use for a hokey rink.
Hamilton street is a money pit corridor.
Keep dumping huge public money into pet projects to attract people who will not come while repelling those who want to be here.
real thug action.
ASK THE PEOPLE!
Former All American City

Catasauqua, PA

#11 May 18, 2011
Hey Mayor Ed how about if someone took your house for eminent domain how would you feel?I think you should face facts you build it the only people that will show up would be the criminals that you say are not in the city.I will buy you a scanner so maybe you could listen what goes on there since ytou don't have a clue.Why don't you go out in your neighborhood some night alone after midnight?I know why you won't you might not come back so listen to the people and build it along the river or over near coca cola park.
grizzley319

Nazareth, PA

#12 May 19, 2011
Since Hess's was torn down years ago and Corp. Plaze fell into the abyss. Administration after Administration has tried to fill the gaps. All have failed! The "New" PPL building has helped some what,but it does not bring decent revenue to Hamilton St.

As for the Front St or the area along the Lehigh river. As long as the "new" bridge is just an idea. it is pointless to put the Arena there. Can you imagine traffic on the Tighman St. bridge with an Iron Pigs game and a hockey game?

Polowski will make or break his Political career with this project. people are complaining about relocating and parking. here is the answer.

Look at an areal view of that block. what is right next to it? The old Hess's parking deck. Which hold hundreds if not thousands of cars.

As far as the owners of retail locations on that block. Really? You **** an moan that you get robbed all the time, yet you stay there. You sell junk or you support the gangster lifestyle by selling there gear. You sell drug accessories I.E.(rolling papers,hookas,bongs, etc...) Go away. You contribute very little or nothing to the community!
Anonymous

Hellertown, PA

#13 May 19, 2011
Who is kidding who? It is a ridiculous place to put an arena. The traffic congestion with normal flow and one-way streets is already a problem. And really, how is an arena going to help the city? It will create a hundred temporary construction jobs and a handful of permanent jobs once it opens. Hey Mayor and Council, how about building a factory that could permanently employ 150 to 250 workers?
Good One

Newton, NJ

#14 May 19, 2011
That's right Folks KEEP ELECTING HIM into Office....Suckers!
MAYOR NEEDED

Chester Springs, PA

#15 May 19, 2011
Keran Beck Pooly was the only one with any Integrity and Honor by taking the properties from PALUMPASHITSKIES Slumlordian freinds. Now his legal team thinks they can do what she had done, but she has ethics and she would be the best to run for Mayor in November. Of corse with poppa Loue by her side.

These two flush more class down the toilet in the morning than Palumpashitsky and his court jesters will ever aspire to obtain. LOL
curious

Reading, PA

#16 May 19, 2011
pathfinder wrote:
<quoted text>
Get your facts right. Those 90 year old gas pipes while in Allentown are the property and the problem of UGI, not Allentown. That old bridge you are referring to has both federal and state dollars attached to it. The city does not own that bridge. So again there is nothing the mayor can do about it.
Yes there is something he can do about it,get after the gas company and the state with the same talking as he is doing about this arena that will flop. I lived in Allentown all my life and I'm 74, I would never walk down Hamilton street now. Back when I was younger it was a pleasure to walk up and down Hamilton St. in fact most of Allentown people did this every Sunday, window shopping. Now yoou have to be afraid to step out of your house.
ben dover

Bethlehem, PA

#17 May 19, 2011
I don`t agree with the city taking the properties. Would you want your property taken? Not a good place for a hockey arena.But that`s just my opinion. Why not take public vote and let the tax payers decide like they did with Gracedale? Clearly the elected officials all have their own agendas and forget why they got elected into office. A new Atown........ I think not, just another Ahole politian
rich was pawlumpskiville

Allentown, PA

#18 May 19, 2011
I would never and have never voted for King Ed.
Someone keeps voting him in office sure was not me .I think he is a complete idiot. His term is up shortly .Get rid of him..
Sgtbert

Allentown, PA

#19 May 19, 2011
"The Sovereign Center has done wonders for Reading,..."

Is the the same Reading that has the lowest home prices around? The same Reading where there is at least one shooting or stabbing per day? The same Reading where rows and rows of houses sit vacant and boarded up? The last time I was down there, I swore it would be the last time I'd be down there - there may be part of Reading doing well but, by and large, it's a wreck of a city.

Let's get a hockey arena in center city and see just how bad Allentown can get.
Concerned

Allentown, PA

#20 May 19, 2011
The numbers are false as far as projected draw to Arena. The minor league team is almost last in its attendance. This project is about taking the buildings/holdings from the working Poor and giving the proceeds by creating that infrastructure to the Rich.
Don't be surprised to know that the Brooks Brothers may have been Mayor Ed Pawlowski largest contributors to his campaign. He is selling out along with the City Committee to the interest of big Corporation.
The pillaging of American Citizens by our corrupted system.
Savedbyscience

Allentown, PA

#21 May 19, 2011
It sucks when you run a business and only put half of your receipts on the books last year. You could have now gotten twice as much for it when this arena plan goes through. Bye- bye junk flipflip and crappy clothing shops and lousy food businesses; hello McDonalds and Starbucks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

WFMZ Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get furnace checked or face a fine 15 hr silly rabbit 47
Family still waiting for justice a year after m... Dec 23 silly rabbit 1
Oven gas line was source of Allentown fire Dec 23 silly rabbit 2
New low-income rental homes eyed for Easton's S... Dec 20 dare I say it 2
Sex offender allegedly stalks Allentown boy for... Dec 18 silly rabbit 1
Allentown City Council approves appointment of ... Dec 18 silly rabbit 1
Libya Calls On Russia To Mediate Cease-Fire (May '11) Dec 16 swedenforever 32
More from around the web