Saucon Valley School District Meets Over Uncertain Start To The...

Full story: WFMZ 41
We begin, with a back-to-school cliffhanger in the Saucon Valley School District. Full Story
JAG

Cranford, NJ

#21 Aug 26, 2009
SVP's point is spot on. In the last 5 years with the explosion of on-line universities, satellite campus', and all kinds of alternative education there is a lot of cream puff courses. One of my in-laws was part of the Bethlehem School district and they had a deal with Kings College where the course was taught in the school itself after hours, by beleive it or not an adjuct professor who just happened to also be a teacher in the district. I'm sure the expectations of the faculty/students was extremely rigorous...
JAG

Cranford, NJ

#22 Aug 26, 2009
If it were really all that simple would anyone be paying this much attention to what is going on. The last thing that people want is for the students to be hurt. However, the harsh reality for most people is that they can't afford not to care. They should have been caring more a long time ago, but sometimes it takes the current bitter realities that people are facing to make them pay attention to things they should have been looking at all along. We could all sit back and so ok, do whatever just get it done. Then 20 years from now when social security and medicate are all but gone, out taxes have gone through the roof to make sure all the politicians and teachers get their defined "benefit" pensions paid and were all looking around to figure out why we can't enjoy our retirement like we intended you'll wish you had taken a bigger personal stake in it. If you not interested in taking a strong stand on this one your either extremely benevolent, very short sighted, or lucky enough to not be in a position that you need to worry about any of it..... or possibly a teacher. Do some research. The teachers pensions are paid regardless of what the investments that support them make (that's what defined benefit it). If the pension fund invests poorly guess what , they get paid exactly the same and it all comes out in taxes. Based upon the current situation to appropriately fund the PA teachers pension fund property taxes would need to double by 2012. The information is out there, just look it up.
Hmmmm

United States

#23 Aug 26, 2009
While I agree the students are definitely paying the price for all this nonsense, it does not mean the community should give in and meet insane demands just to end this. That is most likely what they are counting on. I do not understand why these teachers cannot be fired. I find it hard to believe the district has no way of removing the teachers who are continually allowing their greed to interfere with the students educations. Give them one FINAL offer. Those who accept, fine. Those who don't, leave. At this point, the last FINAL offer that was rejected should be cut in half. The fact that the town is going to be bullied into higher wages / taxes disgusts me. There has to be loopholes or some type of legal mumbo-jumbo which allows the district to remove them if they are beyond compromise and hindering educations. Any other job would have plenty of reasons to get rid of such uncooperative employees, union or not. If they are out of contract, we should be able to legally act at will for the well being of the community and the students. Make them live in town and pay the taxes we pay. Enough of this already.
jones

AOL

#24 Aug 26, 2009
Suzy wrote:
Teachers, budgets, courses, etc. What really counts are the students. The students are the ones that are getting hurt. While everyone is busy hashing this out, the students are not getting their education. What is really more important?
teacher

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#25 Aug 26, 2009
Leave it to a Union and greed to get in the way of children and a good education.
jones

AOL

#26 Aug 26, 2009
I think the FBI and Attorney General Corbett should have an investigation of the PSEA and PSERS money . In light of all the donations they've made to the state government employees ,and Vince Fumo being on the board of psers until he was convicted .

I'm sure they could find a few dozen more Oreck vacuum cleaners around.
Storm

Whitehall, PA

#27 Aug 27, 2009
jones wrote:
I think the FBI and Attorney General Corbett should have an investigation of the PSEA and PSERS money . In light of all the donations they've made to the state government employees ,and Vince Fumo being on the board of psers until he was convicted .
I'm sure they could find a few dozen more Oreck vacuum cleaners around.
First you declared Act 88 unconstitutional thus acting as a supreme court justice and now you are the FBI director or the Attorney General!!!! You are amazing and dangerous. But I am watching you.
jones

AOL

#28 Aug 27, 2009
Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
First you declared Act 88 unconstitutional thus acting as a supreme court justice and now you are the FBI director or the Attorney General!!!! You are amazing and dangerous. But I am watching you.
The FBI has a local field office in Allentown and the telephone # is in the phone book ? If they deem your opinion if me as amazing and dangerous they'll be glad to connect you to the Secret Service office in Philadelphia ,where they can all gather around and categorize me somewhere around the clear and present danger we are facing directly in the white house ,ie Obama and Holder .
jones

AOL

#29 Aug 27, 2009
The FBI just had built a solid case ,video and audio of one of the worse cases of voter intimidation by the New Black Panthers wielding uniforms and clubs around voting places .

Before it could get to court Attorney General Eric Holder dismissed the charges.

I can understand the connection of leniency going back to the early 60s when the black people had to fight and die for the civil rights act.

But, is this only the beginning of a return to voter intimidation and more violence ?

You'd have to ask Obama and Holder what part they played as community organizers in Chicago that has spread Acorn and the New Black Panthers to a lot of the big cities that control the vote.

Storm

Whitehall, PA

#30 Aug 27, 2009
Jones;
You need help. This stuff is gettting to you.
Storm

Whitehall, PA

#31 Aug 28, 2009
Jones:

What are they going to do call in the National guard.

OH GOD!!!!!!!!!! The National Guard- you are losing it. Make sure they have their bayonets in fixed postion in case the teachers charge them.
Storm

Whitehall, PA

#32 Aug 28, 2009
Jones:

Yesterday, you said we were in a depression. Then you told me to call the FBI Aleentown office if I felt threatened by you.

FYI- remain calm, this is not the end of the world. These posts are to keep ourselves busy and exercise our freedom to speak and debate. Do you have your coffee this morning?
JAG

Cranford, NJ

#33 Aug 28, 2009
I can't believe I'm going to say this becuase I don't I'll ever agree on too much with Storm again, but I think I have to go with him on this one. I was right with you Jones until the black panthers came marching in. I even was interested in your FBI investigation of the link between the PSEA and FUMO and every other politician for that matter. I can't go any further than that though, my wife would kill me. She about to become a teacher as well, but listening to her and most of her friends that are already teachers they really don't have a clue what it's like to work in an "At will" employement situation where to don't have the Gastapo backing you up at every turn regardless of weather deserve it or not.
Storm

Whitehall, PA

#34 Aug 28, 2009
JAG:

You wrote:

She about to become a teacher as well, but listening to her and most of her friends that are already teachers they really don't have a clue what it's like to work in an "At will" employement situation where to don't have the Gastapo backing you up at every turn regardless of weather deserve it or not.

What is "at will" employment. That one puzzles me. But if it means employment other than teaching I am not quite sure I understand about the Gestapo. What does that have to do with anything.
jones

AOL

#35 Aug 28, 2009
Unfortunately, I think the teachers are too afraid not to accept the last offer and will be at work Monday.

If Puerta had enough guts he would tell the teachers when you refused the last offer we took it off the table and you no longer are employed by the school district. Their contract ended in aug of 08 and they've been milking it ever since like it is still there. It isn't, but so far no one has the guts to tell you you've milked it for one year of an old contract that ended and we're not going to let you milk it for another year. When the cow drys up try milking the bull and see what you get.
Storm

Whitehall, PA

#36 Aug 28, 2009
Jones:

Stop making this claim:

If Puerta had enough guts he would tell the teachers when you refused the last offer we took it off the table and you no longer are employed by the school district.

If that was the case the board would be hiring new teachers. As I told you once before, do you think the lawyers for the teachers are going to allow that to happen?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#37 Aug 28, 2009
Storm wrote:
Jones:
Stop making this claim:
If Puerta had enough guts he would tell the teachers when you refused the last offer we took it off the table and you no longer are employed by the school district.
If that was the case the board would be hiring new teachers. As I told you once before, do you think the lawyers for the teachers are going to allow that to happen?
So, instead of making sure the kids get an education, the lawyers have to step in and make sure the teachers who DON'T want to teach keep their spots so that teachers who WANT to work and WANT to teach can't replace them. Mighty fine defense you have their.

You certainly aren't making a good mark for the teachers, Stormy. You're a pathetic martyr.

“Too soon old, too late smart..”

Since: Feb 07

Bethlehem, PA

#38 Aug 28, 2009
Storm wrote:
JAG:
You wrote:
She about to become a teacher as well, but listening to her and most of her friends that are already teachers they really don't have a clue what it's like to work in an "At will" employement situation where to don't have the Gastapo backing you up at every turn regardless of weather deserve it or not.
What is "at will" employment. That one puzzles me. But if it means employment other than teaching I am not quite sure I understand about the Gestapo. What does that have to do with anything.
Pennsylvania is an "at will" employment state (commonwealth?), meaning that either the employee or the employer can terminate employment at any time for any or no reason whatsoever, as I understand it. Somehow it is different when dealing through unions, but I never belonged to one and don't quite understand the difference. I gather JAG was referring to the teachers' union as the Gestapo, forcing their position on employers (us), as I'm sure you understand.
jones

AOL

#39 Aug 29, 2009
Storm wrote:
Jones:
Stop making this claim:
Hello stubby fingers . I'm going to do what a lot of other posters should do and not respond to any of your goofy posts .
jones

AOL

#40 Aug 29, 2009
Storm wrote:
Jones:
Stop making this claim:
You convinced me a few days ago Stubby that after 40 years of teaching you spelled realtors "realators" more than once.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

WFMZ Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wolf seeks billions in higher taxes for schools... 4 hr jones 4
Coroner looks for deceased Allentown man's family Wed silly rabbit 1
ANIZDA subcommittee recommends tougher guidelin... Wed silly rabbit 1
Teacher's Pensions Grossly Underfunded (Aug '10) Mar 4 Joe 156
Local guitar teacher facing law suit from mega ... Mar 3 McPhee 2
Reading police investigating additional child l... Mar 3 typical trollie 1
Lee Laubach Jr. sworn in as interim Allentown f... Feb 27 silly rabbit 1
More from around the web