Yes

No

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
mitza

Vermilion, OH

#1 Apr 16, 2008
Why shouldn't she? She didn't go to the police either when she found out. She's as guilty as Boyd.
Karen

Blountville, TN

#2 Apr 16, 2008
I agree. She definitely should be charged too. I think they are being lenient because she is a woman. Not fair as far as I'm concerned.
memaw

United States

#3 Apr 16, 2008
he77 yeah she should be charged! she's the scum of the earth and is only getting special treatment because of who her uncle is and because she's white!! i am a white female and feel that she had as much to do with this as anyone, she knowingly took the clothes and jewelry and wandered in and out of that house, the girls with her should be charged with something also! her day is coming!
South Knox

Gleason, TN

#4 Apr 16, 2008
She should be charged and a jury of her peers will determine if she is innocent or guilty. the DA should not have this kind of power.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#5 Apr 16, 2008
To be valid, your poll needs an "Undecided" category.
Telling It Like It Is

Loudon, TN

#6 Apr 16, 2008
Based on statements made to the media that I have read, she should be charged too.
Eye c 2

Cookeville, TN

#7 Apr 16, 2008
Being white and having political pull with KPD can get you out of alot in Knoxville. So I guess this trashy white gal will get away too. Here and Boyd ought to get to share cells together or maybe with her boyfriend Lamarcus. What a shame.
Saw this one coming

Knoxville, TN

#8 Apr 16, 2008
Karen wrote:
I agree. She definitely should be charged too. I think they are being lenient because she is a woman. Not fair as far as I'm concerned.
they are trying Vanessa.She's is a black woman.Daphne is getting away with it because she is white.

Knoxville, TN

#9 Apr 17, 2008
The federal prosecutor knows that Daphne is far from squeaky clean and he might have charged her if he could have, but as he said, he can't prove that she knew about the carjacking when she allowed Davidson to spend time at her apartment. In order to charge someone as accessory after the fact in federal court, a prosecutor has to prove that the defendant knew that a federal crime had been committed.

State charges are a different matter, and my guess is that in those cases, Sutton and her lawyer made a deal to avoid prosecution in exchange for her testimony. If so, that has more to do with being smart than being white.

Knoxville, TN

#10 Apr 17, 2008
One other point: by all creditable reports, Sutton's involvement can't be compared to Coleman's. Davidson used Sutton after the fact, telling her many obvious lies in order to do so. Reports indicate that Coleman was at the crime scene the entire time, participated throughout, and instigated some of the more brutal aspects of the crime.

And one last point: if Sutton has not yet been charged in the state's case, neither has Boyd.

This "poll" is a crock. Not only is there no "undecided" choice, but decisions about prosecution are not made because of public opinion but because prosecutors have a solid case that they can present to a jury. None of the previous posts reflect enough awareness of how the law works to validate their opinions.
memaw

United States

#11 Apr 17, 2008
get a life nightserf! this is a public forum and someone with anger at the failure to bring daphne sutton to justice started it. they probably weren't even thinking about whether or not their poll was going to be the deciding factor for prosecution, just wanted to see how the public responded to a simple yes or no question. start your own if this one bothers you so much!!
ralphie

Johnson City, TN

#12 Apr 17, 2008
NightSerf wrote:
One other point: by all creditable reports, Sutton's involvement can't be compared to Coleman's. Davidson used Sutton after the fact, telling her many obvious lies in order to do so. Reports indicate that Coleman was at the crime scene the entire time, participated throughout, and instigated some of the more brutal aspects of the crime.
And one last point: if Sutton has not yet been charged in the state's case, neither has Boyd.
This "poll" is a crock. Not only is there no "undecided" choice, but decisions about prosecution are not made because of public opinion but because prosecutors have a solid case that they can present to a jury. None of the previous posts reflect enough awareness of how the law works to validate their opinions.
This poll is a crock. Youre not given enough characters to make a good one. But then again, your comment is a crock. Do you actually believe us posters dont know that "decisions about prosecution are not made because of public opinion but because prosecutors have a solid case that they can present to a jury"?

Shut the **** up - this is text based banter, we all know thats all it is. Go fight for the MUDSHARK at the steps of the courthouse if you want.

Or better yet, go fight for more text charahters in the polling program used by topix.

Or, to take it to even more logical ends, since you arent convinced at this point concerning Sutton, vote NO since you are undecided and trust in the judgement of the Sherriffs dept who employs her uncle, and move on.
ralphie

Johnson City, TN

#13 Apr 17, 2008
mitza wrote:
Why shouldn't she? She didn't go to the police either when she found out. She's as guilty as Boyd.
Yes indeed.

You know, links to this poll should be sent to people you know, and then sent to people in the DAs office. I dont think it is too late for her to be charged.

And if she shouldnt, then the DA should make some sort of statement as to why not, somewhere, somehow.

Nightserf might know how to make this happen..hey NS.. whats the procedure?
Malcolm Tent

United States

#14 Apr 17, 2008
And indict Rev. Wright as well for inspiring blacks to hate white people.
So sayeth me

Fort Campbell, TN

#15 Apr 17, 2008
I am a white female and IMO Daphne Sutton is white trash!!! After all, look at the company she keeps. Birds of a feather flock together. Decent people would not align themselves with the likes of Davidson and Cobbins. She is a skank.

Since: Nov 07

United States

#16 Apr 17, 2008
Sort of off topic, but is anyone as amazed as I am that the article being displayed now actually tells the jurors name???

If I were on the jury of these animals, I certainly would not want it to be public knowledge.

Knoxville, TN

#17 Apr 17, 2008
memaw wrote:
get a life nightserf! this is a public forum and someone with anger at the failure to bring daphne sutton to justice started it. they probably weren't even thinking about whether or not their poll was going to be the deciding factor for prosecution, just wanted to see how the public responded to a simple yes or no question. start your own if this one bothers you so much!!
To produce valid results, a poll must present all reasonable responses to a question. By failing to provide a choice for the undecided, this poll forces potential participants to either mark a slot they don't really believe in or abstain altogether. This invalidates the poll by any standard because its structure skews the population of respondents even beyond the self-selection that taints all Topix polls.

I don't defend Sutton, but I do understand why the federal prosecutor made the decision not to prosecute her--he had no evidence that she had committed a federal crime. She may yet be charged in state courts--prosecutors can file charges for a crime at any time as long as the statute of limitations has not expired.

As for your own little poll, we all criticize the ideas in other posts. If we were always in agreement, there would be no point to Topix at all. Because I post substantively on a wide range of issues, I receive more criticism than most--it's part of the process, and anyone who allows opposition to spoil their day is simply too thin-skinned for this forum.

Knoxville, TN

#18 Apr 17, 2008
ralphie wrote:
<quoted text>
This poll is a crock. Youre not given enough characters to make a good one. But then again, your comment is a crock. Do you actually believe us posters dont know that "decisions about prosecution are not made because of public opinion but because prosecutors have a solid case that they can present to a jury"?
Shut the **** up - this is text based banter, we all know thats all it is. Go fight for the MUDSHARK at the steps of the courthouse if you want.
Or better yet, go fight for more text charahters in the polling program used by topix.
Or, to take it to even more logical ends, since you arent convinced at this point concerning Sutton, vote NO since you are undecided and trust in the judgement of the Sherriffs dept who employs her uncle, and move on.
I agree that more characters should be permitted, but your question was actually very good--tight, complete, and clear. You also refrained from editorializing in the text of the possible responses, which was very good. But the poll software allows up to ten possible responses. Your question required three, you used two, I pointed it out. I'm sure you'll do better nest time.

Knoxville, TN

#19 Apr 17, 2008
ralphie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes indeed.
You know, links to this poll should be sent to people you know, and then sent to people in the DAs office. I dont think it is too late for her to be charged.
And if she shouldnt, then the DA should make some sort of statement as to why not, somewhere, somehow.
Nightserf might know how to make this happen..hey NS.. whats the procedure?
There is no procedure that I know of. DAs don't use polls to decide about prosecutions and, while they are not immune from political pressure, they are quite properly insulated from it so that prosecutions won't result from a lynch-mob mentality.

“A fun Republican Folk Singer”

Since: Jul 07

Maryville

#20 Apr 17, 2008
This morning the local knoxville paper tried very hard to turn the first trial results into a black and white issue. Rather than a headline of ONE DOWN FOUR TO GO (a quote from one of the fathers of the victims) the paper wore out the race issue and even implied how hard it was for those who convicted this man to come to the decision.

Murder is color blind in the eyes of the law. The paper should try to report FACTS and leave their personal thoughts out of the mix.

This is NOT a story about a crooked group of politicians. This is a story about two kids who died horrible deaths from killers who were in a rage. Remember the victims first and last if you must inject a printed SPIN into the story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

WBIR Knoxville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Crime 15 mins ago 12:48 p.m.Former Hawkins Coun... 16 min Bobby Boucher 10
News Crime 20 mins ago 5:49 p.m.Police search for wo... Wed who dat 1
News DCS: Mtn. View Superintendent wasn't making eno... May 3 Truth 1
News First lady hits the road for children's needs (Apr '08) Apr 29 Jar Head 4
News TVA: Considering selling downtown HQ, relocatin... Apr 29 commenters 1
News Maryville man indicted on murder, other charges (Feb '08) Apr 28 Gcollins 46
News Johnia Berry murder arrest: Taylor Olson (Oct '07) Apr 27 Knoxville Legend 9
More from around the web