Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans

Since: Sep 08

Miyazaki

#21 Oct 22, 2008
Ah yes, the bakery, how well I remember. I actually went looking for it in August.

I can remember when commercial scheduled airline service came to the Santa Fe Airport.(And a commuter flight went to LA.)
Zorkon756

Honolulu, HI

#22 Oct 22, 2008
Local Santa Fe Guy wrote:
Holy Cow is this one mean and nasty web site. It's getting worse by the day.
The ISP says i'm from Abq....but i'm here in Santa.
So, to all true Santa Feans, lets make a little nice. List some of your memories growing up....
Do you remember when.....
The Rock Shop was the last place south of town on Cerrillos Road?
Claudes Bar on Canyon Road - or the Bourbon & Blues?
When the Steaksmith was in the DeVargas Hotel?
When St. Francis dead ended at St. Michaels Drive?
We used to play Demon/Horsemen games at Majors?
We would get a lunch Zooks? Also, I used to love to go and get a burger and Coke at Fred's Drive In at Baca & Cerrillos.
Hey, can't we all just get along?
What are some of your memories?
You got me on a lot of that stuff. I do remember when there wasn't a St. Michaels Drive or a St. Francis. Do you remember Manhattan and College Streets?

Do you remember where the Packard, Edsel, and Studebaker dealers were? How about the gold domed capitol bldg, or the governor's mansion across the street? What did you think of Ed Mechem or Ed Mead for that matter?

How about Judge Sadler, Judge Lujan, Judge McGee, or Judge Compton? I always like Gene Lusk and Fabian Chavez who were Senate Majority leaders when I worked there.

How about Tom Bolack and his giant produce? A very nice republican Lt. Gov. if I say so myself.

I bought a nice watch at Montgomery Wards on Lincoln. Is the Burro Alley theator still there? Been to Gregory Ln?

Is the road paved past Hyde Park?

Do you remember the cemetary on College and Manhattan? or the ice cream store across the street? St. Michael's HS there? When Kaune's was on the plaza?

The Witter Byner house, Rita and her daughter Maria, whom I won in a poker game one night?(but never collected)

Yes, I remember it well, but the memories are from long ago. I still miss the place.

Zorkon756

Honolulu, HI

#23 Oct 22, 2008
I remember riding the Pioneer Airline out of Santa Fe before Continental arrived. Chess at the Jewish Temple on Barcelona.

Better stop before I get carried away, lol.
Zorkon756

Honolulu, HI

#24 Oct 22, 2008
charleeb wrote:
Don't forget Woolworths, Taicherts,Moores
Also Santa Fe Book and Stationery, Payless and the Paris Theator and J.C. Pennies, Bells and White Swan Laundry.
(I still have a receipt from them in an old book somewhere, when the phone had just 4 numbers?
Zorkon756

Honolulu, HI

#25 Oct 22, 2008
ps: I think Jackalope was the last place on Cerrillos when I came to Santa Fe, perhaps 2 or 3 cement Indian Teepees on one side or the other complete with the Indians.
chatterbox87501

Tijeras, NM

#26 Oct 22, 2008
Zork, Bolack's produce display at the State Fair used to be an institution. He's been gone for a few years, and this year, his produce display was replaced by a dried corn kernel playland for the kids.
Zorkon756

Honolulu, HI

#27 Oct 22, 2008
A quiz for 100 pts: What were the two little stone houses for on the south side of town built by Cartwright's Hdwr Store for?

Extra credit: What did Mr Cartwright say when the lady asked him what color he vibrated to? Are the "I Am's" still there?
Zorkon756

Honolulu, HI

#28 Oct 22, 2008
Dave S wrote:
I remember going to Johnnys Market on Taos St., Big Joe's downtown, Tiano's Sporting Goods was the best, the old prison on St. Francis Dr., the airport was way out of town, Capitol Ford on Rosario, Bat-Rite Food Markets, Barry's Market, Tito's on Garcia St.,
getting a mustard dog at Della's, standing in line to pay 15 cents to swim at the municipool, Rodeo Road was paved from Cerrillos to the Rodeo Grounds then dirt all the way to the LV highway, at basketball games in Sweeny it was so hot and so full of cigarette smoke you had to go to the top and try to suck some fresh air out of the window cracks just to breathe, Maria's restaurant had a mural of Italian Swiss Colony Wines painted on the side, after mass on sundays we would race home to watch championship wrestling live from the Civic Auditorium in Alb.- hosted by Mike London - and then at school we would argue about who got to be Ricky Romero or Mr. Wrestling or Dory Funk. Innocent and fun times, Sherida Fly would play the piano at Furrs Caf on Sundays during lunch.
I got my first snow skis at Tiano's. However the pen was on Pen road, or off Cordova. I thought of Dracula's Castle every time I saw it. My dog went to see Dr. Smith down from there on Pen road from time to time. No St. Francis then.

Speaking of the Senate, what ever happened to Fred? One halloween he came as Miss Piggy, and I thought he was the great punkin. Eventually he opened a night club way out on Cerrillos. Did he die?
Zorkon756

Honolulu, HI

#29 Oct 22, 2008
I don't remember the name, may be Batrites (sp), a few blocks in from La Casa Judy or Linda, opened in the 50's sometime. I think it was 1961 Bolack gave me a hugh sack of onions and another of turnips. On the way home I took one onion and turnip, ran into the grocery store to weigh them. On the way I saw the manager and wanted to make sure he know I didn't get them in his store. He said: "I can see that", lol. They both were about 8 inches thick.

Florence, AL

#30 Oct 23, 2008
Wasn't that Kitchen Fresh Bakery Charleeb? I remember they had GREAT creame puffs. And the diner next to it on Marcy street. By Durr's Office Machine shop.

Miyazaki

#31 Oct 23, 2008
How about the U & I Cafe on Don Gaspar near Water. It was there that I learned the expression "greasy spoon."
Zorkon756

Honolulu, HI

#32 Oct 23, 2008
Steve van Dresser wrote:
How about the U & I Cafe on Don Gaspar near Water. It was there that I learned the expression "greasy spoon."
I think I remember that one, but I never went in. Think there was a sleezy bar around there too, Anchors Away or something weird like that.

“What, Me Worry?”

Santa Fe, NM

#33 Oct 23, 2008
Only for "Real" Santa Feans? How come about half of these real Santa Feans live in CA, KY and Japan?

“What, Me Worry?”

Santa Fe, NM

#34 Oct 23, 2008
... and Hawaii.
lee edwards

Albuquerque, NM

#35 Oct 23, 2008
How about pin ball at the bus depot and Rob and Charlie's on Water. Anyone remember the lines wrapped around the block for Star Wars at the Lensic.....everyone knew everone in line and it was a party like Fiestas.
lee edwards

Albuquerque, NM

#36 Oct 23, 2008
29 santa fe wrote:
Santa Fe was a great place to grow up. Mid high was the best. Frito pies from Woolworth for lunch!!!! Going to football games at Majors Field was so much fun. The whole city actually supported the teams. It's too bad that support is gone. Spending a whole day at the Lensic theater watching Planet of the Apes over and over. Going to see Zozobra and fiestas with my parents and siblings was safe.
We would take walks to the foothills and dodge Frenchie's pellet gun as he yelled for us to get off his property. Oh the days of old Santa Fe...long gone. Now just a bunch of snobby art galleries.
I remember Frenchy shooting at us! I lived right across the street and we used to cross his land to go play in the river and catch horny toads. What ever happened to all the horny toads that were in town? Did they move to Rio Rancho too????:) This was a great place to grow up!

Miyazaki

#37 Oct 23, 2008
Toucan Tango wrote:
Only for "Real" Santa Feans? How come about half of these real Santa Feans live in CA, KY and Japan?
Hey, I'm in Japan, but I still voted in Santa Fe a couple of days ago.

“NM Cajun looking forward”

Since: Oct 08

Santa Fe/Los Alamos

#38 Oct 23, 2008
KD Murphy wrote:
Yip, remember the rock shop.
Claudes - Not old enough for that but have heard lots of stories.
Yes, Steaksmith and De Vargas Hotel
Don't exactly remember the dead end of St. Francis, but remember that one of my dad's business partners
house was smack in the middle of it. They built a new house and the old one was bulldozed.
Remember Majors. Also remember playing tennis down town on the courts at the corner of Grant and Catron. Where the old Mid High used to be. School moved before I got there.
First owners of Zooks were neighbors, second owners eventually same neighborhood. Definitely Fred's.
The Fiesta Carnival being in the parking lot of the old Safeway on Grant.
Bell's, Sears, Kahns, JCP, Guarantee, Dendahls - all downtown.
So much snow one year school was closed for two weeks.
Winnie Beasley playing the washboard at El Nido. She drove around on a WWII motorcycle with a sidecar.
Going to the Palace Restr. was always a real treat.
I could go on and on. Fun times.
WHO ARE YOU?
Loved seeing Winnie with the snakes wrapped around her body as she drove around town...later heard she was one tough momma to her boys...would love to see a movie about her...did you know she was an RAF fighter pilot? Classic Santa Fe Character

I remember being courted on car rides out on Rodeo Road...it was the boonies back then ...no houses and the arroyos were splendid in the snow..

We always saw the Tio's around the plaza and would stop and get scoled and told to go home and answer to our mothers worries.

Grandma Mendoza was keeping children for the state of New Mexico...she raised 20 kids for them with a lot of good food
Katherine Guidry

“What, Me Worry?”

Santa Fe, NM

#39 Oct 23, 2008
Steve van Dresser wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, I'm in Japan, but I still voted in Santa Fe a couple of days ago.
I'm just sayin'...
Zorkon756

Honolulu, HI

#40 Oct 23, 2008
lee edwards wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Frenchy shooting at us! I lived right across the street and we used to cross his land to go play in the river and catch horny toads. What ever happened to all the horny toads that were in town? Did they move to Rio Rancho too????:) This was a great place to grow up!
Frenchy sounds awfully familiar, but can't place him. Any details?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Report: ICE arrests five in Albuquerque 2 hr Barry O 17
News In deep hole, a chance for economic improvement Jan '17 rmeghan34 1
News Judge refuses to split charges in sex solicitat... Sep '16 The Truth 1
News Home sweet home school (Dec '08) Sep '16 Mr Coach 8
News New jury system aims to ease burden of duty (Sep '09) Sep '16 Jeanne Scripps 5
News Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Aug '16 Char 42
News Wind energy sweeps plains; course correction in... (Jan '09) Jul '16 bpayne37 21
More from around the web