Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans
First Prev
of 111
Next Last
Suz Santa Fe

Albuquerque, NM

#2265 Aug 8, 2014
Does anyone remember the burger joint that was next to De Vargas junior high? Was it called Mr. Swiss? We'd walk there from SFHS for lunch!! It is a donation store now.
greg

Amherstburg, Canada

#2266 Jun 15, 2015
Hello Santa Feans
My name is Greg and I am writing to you from Ontario Canada.
I have recently had the honour of purchasing an old car from your beautiful city and I was wondering if anyone would perhaps remember the owner or the car. It is a pink 1959 Cadillac that was owned by Renee Johnson who was the owner of the Chez Renee Restaurant for many years. I believe these old cars have a soul, and still carry the memories of its owner for many years. I am honoured to be the next care-taker of it. It has been sitting for close to 30 years at her home and she had recently passed. It is running now, and on its way up to me in Canada. It will be completely restored to it former glory.
So.....I was just wondering if anyone knew her or remembers the car itself. I do know that she bought the car brand new at the Cadillac dealership in Santa Fe.
Thank you for your time in reading this and would appreciate any info that anyone would remember.
Regards
Greg
Greg

Windsor, Canada

#2267 Jun 15, 2015
Hello Santa Feans
I have recently had the honour of purchasing an old car from your beautiful city and I was wondering if anyone would perhaps remember the owner or the car. It is a pink 1959 Cadillac that was owned by Renee Johnson who was the owner of the Chez Renee Restaurant for many years. I believe these old cars have a soul, and still carry the memories of its owner for many years. I am honoured to be the next care-taker of it. It has been sitting for close to 30 years at her home and she had recently passed. It is running now, and on its way up to me in Canada. It will be completely restored to it former glory.
So.....I was just wondering if anyone knew her or remembers the car itself. I do know that she bought the car brand new at the Cadillac dealership in Santa Fe.
Thank you for your time in reading this and would appreciate any info that anyone would remember.
Regards
Greg
Polina

Las Vegas, NV

#2268 Jun 28, 2015
Remember the Twin Cronies and Five Points Liquor Store, where all 5 streets joined by Guadalupe Church, the Fiesta dance was in a tent in the vacant lot across Lensic, benches on perimeter where dancers placed their beers a d kids outside reached in to grab a can or two.
Polina

Las Vegas, NV

#2269 Jun 28, 2015
greg wrote:
Hello Santa Feans
Regards
Greg
I remember her from the 70s 1971-72. She lived alone next to the restaurant. If you had any business with her it had to be after 12pm, she always slept late and would not answer door until she made up her face, she had a heavy French accent. I recall the car, since she rarely ventured away from the restaurant the car seldom moved.
greg

Belle River, Canada

#2270 Jun 28, 2015
Polina wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember her from the 70s 1971-72. She lived alone next to the restaurant. If you had any business with her it had to be after 12pm, she always slept late and would not answer door until she made up her face, she had a heavy French accent. I recall the car, since she rarely ventured away from the restaurant the car seldom moved.
Thank you for the reply, Polina!
Yes, I don't think she drove the car much. There is only 72,000 miles on it in 56 years! I'm cleaning the inside now...It doesnt look like anyone has ever sat in the back seat. It has some scrapes on the passenger side, which is understandable being such a huge car for a little old lady to navigate. It is going in for body repair and new paint this week.

I've been able to find out quite a bit of information about her life from her obituary. When she first opened The Chez Renee, her husband left her and she ran the place all those years by herself.....she must have been a tough little lady. I have also found an original menu from her restaurant. It must be pretty old as a piece of pie is 75 cents!

Anyways, I find the car and her history very interesting!
Thank you again,
Greg
Orlando Baca

Santa Fe, NM

#2271 Jun 28, 2015
Hi Greg

Congratulations on getting Rene's car. She was quite a character. Her restaurant is legend! For many years, it was THE place to go for special occasions. Miss the old Santa Fe!
suz SF

Albuquerque, NM

#2272 Jun 30, 2015
Pablo Baca wrote:
Remember the grand opening of Coronodo Center (the shopping center where Trader Joe's is now. The food store gave away bags of groceries every half hour. You couldn't find a parking place anywhere (we walked from our house).
Remember the fountain. The kids would throw laundry detergent in it so that it was full of bubbles the next day.
Santa Fe was fun and so full of excitement. lol
yes Pablo !!!!! used to walk to Coronado Shopping Center, where we'd join Hula Hoop contests by the fountain.. Then across the street at Music Villa KVSF would have bands and contests etc!! was the coolest growing up in that area!!
greg

Belle River, Canada

#2273 Jun 30, 2015
Orlando Baca wrote:
Hi Greg
Congratulations on getting Rene's car. She was quite a character. Her restaurant is legend! For many years, it was THE place to go for special occasions. Miss the old Santa Fe!
Hello Orlando
Thank you for the reply.
Everything still works in the car....even the clock! Took it for a drive today and its like riding on a cloud. She a few small issues but I will take care of them.
I must tell you that you have a beautiful city.....love the old architecture of the buildings down town.....would like to visit again when I have more time.
Greg
Mary1234

Albuquerque, NM

#2274 Jul 1, 2015
Mustard dogs at Dellas and penny candies frito pies at woolworths shopping at jc penny Sears and Bells. Walking to school from a Don Cubero st to wood gormely and then to harrington. At mid high we had to run everyday to majors field for PE.
greg

Belle River, Canada

#2275 Jul 8, 2015
Does anyone happen to remember a car dealership called 'Cherry Motors' in the late 50's or early 60's?
Greg
tamara

Santa Fe, NM

#2276 Aug 13, 2015
Anyone have more info about the Yucca Drive-in--who built it, named it, designed the yucca on the back?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 111
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Aug 15 Char 42
News Wind energy sweeps plains; course correction in... (Jan '09) Jul 28 bpayne37 21
News Former astronaut scoffs at global warming (Feb '09) Jul '16 Into The Night 2,406
News Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) Jun '16 Goldman Sachs 17
News Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) Jun '16 MarieCornwall 13
News 'Double dippers' fought legislation (May '09) Apr '16 concerned citizen 56
News Immigrant children to arrive at Holloman on Sunday (Jan '16) Feb '16 Sick of race card 52
More from around the web