mart53

Santa Fe, NM

#2243 Aug 25, 2012
R Post, think it was called Godee'. We'd all come out of the Lensic and admire the clothes in the window!
Yorkie

Santa Barbara, CA

#2244 Sep 2, 2012
Thank you. I wish we had shops like that nowadays.
Suz

Santa Fe, NM

#2245 Sep 5, 2012
Yorkie wrote:
Thank you. I was hoping someone would remember.
I remember that ! the dresses were so expensive and beautimus!! We used to go in and leave fast cuz were messy from popcorn grease etc lol But my aunt and my mom owed the star record shop next to the Lensic and we went in feeling like Hey! we have a biz here too!!!
Suz

Santa Fe, NM

#2246 Sep 5, 2012
yes ty Yorkee for the name!!
Suz

Santa Fe, NM

#2247 Sep 5, 2012
oh Mart sorry Thank YOU for the name!!!! sorry !
gmv65

Rio Rancho, NM

#2248 Oct 29, 2012
I grew up first on Franklin St.(Westsiders) and then on the Eastside off of Camino Monte Sol. My friend Rosie and I would walk to school at St. Francis and eventually to Loretto. Try letting your kids do that distance alone today. We loved to shop at Bell's, Sweetbriars, Taicherts, Woolworths (frito pies & cherry lime cokes), Dunlaps. Higher-end stores were cool too: La Tienda, El Pavon, Old Mexico Shop, the Guarantee. I loved to eat and hang out at Twin Cronies, Zooks, Ken's Pharmacy, Ingrams, Fred's Drive-In. Go to movies at Lensic, El Paseo, Yucca Drive-In. Wouldn't change growing up in Santa Fe for anything!
Yorkie

Santa Barbara, CA

#2249 Oct 29, 2012
It's really strange that I, too, have been thinking about what it was like growing up in Santa Fe. We were really lucky.
suz

Santa Fe, NM

#2251 Nov 4, 2012
Yorkie wrote:
It's really strange that I, too, have been thinking about what it was like growing up in Santa Fe. We were really lucky.
Very lucky , so many wonderful memories, having a chocolate shake at Free Frazer's , after a movie at the Lensic having a burger at the Canton: while attending mid high, walking over and having a twin cronie (coronie)?, And growing up on Galisteo St. was able to walk to fiestas, school (Harrington) Cathedral, Swimming Pool, Bowling alley, wow loved it!!
Joshua Tapia

Albuquerque, NM

#2252 May 15, 2013
George Pomonis wrote:
<quoted text>
Steve, no the Plaza cafe was always that and was owned by my uncle and cousin and one other Greek, Dan Razatos. the Mayflower was kitty corner on the south side of the Plaza three doors east of FW Woolworth and was owned, initially by my father and uncle after wwII My father brought in a partner who eventually owned "Evangellos" on the sight of the old Faith Cafe.
My great grandfather Robert Narvaiz owned the Mayflower Cafe and ran the KC Housea, and owned the Big Chief Restuarant in Santa Fe
Laird Durley

Fresno, CA

#2253 Aug 5, 2013
El Nido&Maria Benitez to the north in Tesuque, the Crazy Frenchman with his restaurant across from the Opera to the north; Bourbon&Blues to the south on Cerrillos, The Bob Cat Bite on 40 and The Depot in Lamy to the east, Josie's green chile rellenos and ice boxcake downtown.
Jennifer

Santa Fe, NM

#2255 Mar 14, 2014
Steve van Dresser wrote:
The Twin Cronies was on Water St. maybe 50 feet west of La Fonda. Their specialty was a hot dog, cut in half and served on a hamburger bun smothered in a very mild red chile meat sauce (or maybe spaghetti sauce) with mustard. Scrumptious!
I loved those twin cronies. Wish I could find the recipe for them and I'd make them myself at home. Used to eat them at the bus depot all the time for lunch.
Roger Hobday

Santa Fe, NM

#2256 Mar 14, 2014
I loved them too!
Ken

Albuquerque, NM

#2257 Jun 24, 2014
The restaurant Tortilla Flats Restaurant on Cerrillos Rd. was a Der Wenerschnietzel hot dog place at first, then became Upper Crust pizzas second location which didn't last long? Then Tortillla Flats! A & W Rootbeer was down on Cerrillos half way on the right side going south. Arts market also sold mobil gas outside! Their was a drive in movie theatre next to the the trailer court on Tesuque road near 285 exit going north! Trailer court wasn't there at the time. Also next to the Tesuque Pueblo Base ball field was a host to motorcross races in those hills! there were two VIPS Big Boy restaurants in Santa Fe where Mc Donalds sits on St. Francis and at De Vargas! Remember Moon Mountain Sound! Pants & Duds! Mr. Ds! TG&Y! Two drive in's sat almost across from each other on cerrillos called the Yucca & Pueblo. The Japanese Restaurant on cerrillos next to 31 Flavors was called Burger Chef at first! Anyone remember FREDs Drive In at there two locations on cerrillos? The best!!!!
Ken

Albuquerque, NM

#2258 Jun 24, 2014
Here we go again! The strip club called CHEEKS on Cerrillos rd. had two places called Charlies Front & Back Door! The Night Club next to Cheeks now was a Restaurant called BAMBOO CHOPSITX! A small Putt Putt golf course was on the hill next to the Sonic Drive in on Cerrillos Rd! American Furniture on St. Michaels Dr, was called Gibsons Discount store and then became a supermarket called Bag & Save! The old movie theatre down town called El Paseo was a place called Teen World in the 1970s which didn't last long! The parking lot across from the Lensic use to have the old carnival during Fiestas when it was a dirt lot! Lol! And I'm 54 year old guy who looks 40 and remembers all of these fun things as I use to hang out all over town on the weekends! I do remember seeing "Enter The Dragon" late BRUCE LEE with a chaperone as it was rated R at the Lensic! If anyone remembers the Chicken River Trading Co. then you know Santa Fe very well! Lol! How about the old Taco Bell down town where Bumble Bees is? UPS store was a Speedway 7 to 11!
Suz

Albuquerque, NM

#2259 Jul 2, 2014
I remember all of those places! We used to go to Henry's Drive In a buy the bag of fries! And after clubbing at 17 (oops) go eat tacos at El Taco on St. Michael's. Over at Music Villa on Cordova, bands used to play outside the store on weekends sponsered by KVSF!!! Helicopters used to drop ping pong balls with prizes inside. and Hula hoop contests etc! Then we would go to the bowling alley across the street, or watch a movie at Coronado Twin theater!! I loved this city when I was a kid!
Ken

Albuquerque, NM

#2260 Jul 8, 2014
Lol! Do remember Henrys and how about Tonys Pizza! Whites Auto store in the St. Michaels shopping area along with Godfathers Pizza! Kennys shoe store on Cerrillos which became a blockbuster video rental store! El Sombrero next to the Plaza Cafe! And yes! KVSF with Jose Pino and Danny Ray! Lol! Guadalupe st. had the Ford dealership where Allsups sits across from Lota Burger! Going further into Guadalupe had Boddys Honda, the Yamaha shop, Firestone Auto, and B & M Auto trim where the Zia dinner is, and the Chopstix restaurant used to be a Shamrock Gas Station! On the Plaza also across the street where the open market is sat a Chevron service station!
Suz Santa Fe

Rio Rancho, NM

#2261 Jul 10, 2014
Oh I remember even Bill Dimas was a DJ.. And I loved Tony's pizza!!
Ken

Albuquerque, NM

#2262 Jul 11, 2014
Let's see now the critters and me pet shop on Agua Fria was a speedway 7 to 11. The old Walmart was where Office Depot was on Cerrillos. Sambos was at the corner of college park plaza and then became a Dennys, then JBs, then Wecks! De Vargas center also had Revco drug store, Cooks Sporting Goods, Big Boy, Pants and Duds, Margos, Moon Mountain Sound, Pennys, Anthonys, Mr, Ds, TG&Y, Furrs Cafeteria etc. Burger Chef was next to Baskin Robbins on Cerrillos Rd. Now is a Japanese Restaurant. Vickers Gas station was next to Baja Tacos! Pennys downtown once! WoolWorths! Sears and Safeway at the Lincoln plaza too!
Ken

Albuquerque, NM

#2263 Jul 13, 2014
Here's one for history! The Carthart Outdoor Store located off the highway at Tesuque Pueblo was once a Stuckeys store that had gas pumps also!
Ken

Albuquerque, NM

#2264 Aug 2, 2014
I do remember going downtown in the1970's when the plaza was tear gassed because a huge fight broke out! This was during the fiestas and everyone fled!!! Also the carnival was across the street from the Lensic where the parking lot is which was a dirt lot! And in the 1970's the Lensic was showing all of the Planet of the Apes movies and the latest one which was released that year! Every kid must of been there that day and cartoons were shown between each movie. I was sitting in the balcony as the movie theatre was completely full! A food fight started from the lower level people throwing food up at the balcony and the balcony people throwing it back! The manager couldn't control this and the police were called! Kids were kicked out and some were told to stand in the corner as punishment! Lol! I also saw Enter the Dragon with the late Bruce Lee there which was awesome!!! The lobby was decked out in Purple & white balloons etc. And who could forget the first Star Trek movie after the original series ended in the 1960's The line was out the door and down towards where the Eldorado sits now!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'I'm glad it's over': Family, friends welcome c... (Oct '08) Oct 9 Your Family 31
Rodella eyes Rio Arriba sheriff's job (Apr '09) Sep 22 Darian Valdevia 30
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug '14 Lynne Loss 10
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE