Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans
Roger Hobday

Santa Fe, NM

#2223 Sep 8, 2011
suz wrote:
oh I wish i had one too my sis has them all lol
Susie! I remember you from Vo-Tech! I have electronic yearbook. Email me to [email protected] and I will send it to you
Dave

Tucson, AZ

#2224 Oct 19, 2011
Does anyone remember Mr. "Mike" at the Yucca Drive In Theatre? He was also a school teacher at Santa Fe High School.
I remember that the Yucca was one of the coolest places to go in Santa Fe. I think it finally closed about 20 years after Mr. "Mike" left the theatre. I don't know what year they tore it down... in the 90's I think.
suz

AOL

#2225 Oct 19, 2011
Dave wrote:
Does anyone remember Mr. "Mike" at the Yucca Drive In Theatre? He was also a school teacher at Santa Fe High School.
I remember that the Yucca was one of the coolest places to go in Santa Fe. I think it finally closed about 20 years after Mr. "Mike" left the theatre. I don't know what year they tore it d

own... in the 90's I think.
yes@!!!!!!!!! Mr Mike!! and always went to the yucca its was too cool even sneaking people in the trunk.! I loved it back then!!!
suz

AOL

#2226 Oct 19, 2011
Dave wrote:
I remember that the Yucca was one of the coolest places to go in Santa Fe. I think it finally closed about 20 years after Mr. "Mike" left the theatre. I don't know what year they tore it down... in the 90's I think.
I still remember his voice! and all the KVSF stuff lol!!

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#2227 Dec 26, 2011
I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas. It was nice to have snow on the ground but really, really cold,
suz

AOL

#2228 Jan 3, 2012
Pablo Baca wrote:
I hope that everyone had a wonderful Christmas. It was nice to have snow on the ground but really, really cold,
Yes Thank you Pablo had a great Christmas!! Hope you did too!! and Happy New Year!!!
mart53

Scottsdale, AZ

#2229 Jan 3, 2012
I just heard that the mother of Denise and Danny Pomonis passed away. My prayers and blessings to the both of them. Not many left of the old Lupita Road neighborhood.
G T romero

Albuquerque, NM

#2230 Jan 6, 2012
Anyone recall "Nature Boy" who wore a white cloak and was seen in the plaza area in the early 50s ?

I left to serve in the Korean War. Upon my return in 56 , he was nowhere to be seen .

Who was he ?
suz

AOL

#2231 Jan 6, 2012
no GT I'll ask my parents and I was born the year you returned. and mart most of the people on Lupita are newbies :( my parents still live on the corner of Don Fernando and that was the best place to grow up :)
suz

AOL

#2232 Jan 6, 2012
oh and G T my mom was a Romero from Agua Fria wonder if any relation/ my dad from Canyon Rd
G T romero

Albuquerque, NM

#2233 Jan 8, 2012
I lived on Agua Fria at the corner of Onate no known relation to your dad. My cousins lived as and still do, on Don Diego st. Mariano and Manuel,. who just passed away a few months ago as well as did his wife Leona
LauraF

Saint Augustine, FL

#2234 Jan 14, 2012
Anyone remember Becker's Deli and Moma Lola's Italian restaurant. I worked at both places. I know Mam Lola's closed while I was living there, but I keep looking for the Deli. I guess it closed at some point.
Roberto J Lujan

Santa Fe, NM

#2235 Jan 15, 2012
Honestly wrote:
My Dad and Grandpa always took their slaughtered steers to Willy's on SF Street to be cut and packed. That was always a big day that started out real early and ended up with boxes of meat being loaded out of Willy's into the truck and into the freezer. Those are some great memories.

Willie is my Great Grandpa! I live on w alameda right in front of the store where my mom Denise grew up.
Roberto J Lujan

United States

#2236 Jan 18, 2012
Who remembers my Grandpa Roberto "Bobby" Ortiz from Santa Fe High??
Roger Hobday

Santa Fe, NM

#2237 Jan 18, 2012
Roberto J Lujan wrote:
Who remembers my Grandpa Roberto "Bobby" Ortiz from Santa Fe High??
I remember Mr Ortiz. Had him for PE in 10th grade.
Dave Martens

Missoula, MT

#2238 Mar 8, 2012
Kim,

Please call home. Seriously though, my name is Dave and I have been working on a music compilation of all Montana bands and I would love to talk with you about the Frantics. I found Bill Kogolshak and he has the master tape to the 45 you guys did in Billings in 66. Were you in another band before the Frantics called "IT and the Things"?
Kim Sherman-The Frantics wrote:
Hi, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread but it is great reading all of these memories about Santa Fe.
This probably goes back too far for most to remember but in the 1960's I (Kim Sherman) was the lead guitarist with a group called The Frantics. Although originally from Billings, MT we lived in Santa Fe for about 2-3 years during which time we also had stints living in New York City.
We used to play a lot in Santa Fe (as well as all over the US) and I remember doing gigs at JP's Palace (JP was John Philbin who also later managed us for a while), at the College and other places. I do remember one great gig at the college during Fiesta. While living in Santa Fe we also played all over New Mexico (Los Alamos, Albuquerque, Roswell, Hobbs, Las Cruces, Lovington, etc.) as well as Colorado and Texas. The guy that did our great lightshow was Captain Whizzo.
We were hippies to say the least and I can't think of a better place to live as a hippy during that time around the Summer of love than in Santa Fe.
I and 2 other members of the group rented a 3 bedroom house at 1105 West Alameda for $110 a month. We could have bought it for $12,000 (which might as well been $12 million to us at that time.) I'll bet the price has gone up a little bit since then.
We used to eat at Fred's Drive In a lot and he put an item on the menu named after us called the "Frantic Burger" because we always wanted green chile on our hamburgers. Several years after we broke up I was driving thru Santa Fe and the green chile "Frantic Burger" was still on the menu.
I think we stayed at every motel on Cerrillos road at one time or another.
I don't remember all the names of the streets and stuff, especially compared to others on this blog but I do remember Claudes Bar pretty well and also Canyon Road and some head shops as Bunny (Alexis Griego who we first met was a DJ at the radio station - her family owned El Nido - in Tesuque), put all of us up in her house there for a while and stuffed us on her great sopapillas.
My girlfriend was a beautiful little Mexican girl with incredible really long brown hair named Yolanda Lela Fernandez and she was usually with me at our gigs.
Lots of great memories about Santa Fe and the people although I probably wouldn't recognize it now.
I've been living in Kona, Hawaii for over 21 years now but many times when I go out at night and stand on the lanai (balcony) of my house, I think of the smell of Santa Fe in the Winter. The smell of the pinon smoke coming out of the fireplaces. Who can forget that?
I remember behind our house on West Alameda there was a hill where we used to go up at night and straighten our heads and gaze out at the lights of the town.
I remember catching a plane at the airport to Phoenix (via Albuquerque) and I was late. The plane was starting to taxi down the runway and I can running out waving "frantically" and it stopped for me and let me on. Good luck doing that these days.
Anyway I apologize if this doesn't fit in with all the rest of the great posts here but for a couple of years I was very much a part of Santa Fe and it will always be a part of me. I'm sorry for the eardrums The Frantics blew but if we happened to blow your mind....you're welcome and thanks for coming to our gig.
Fond memories for sure.
Dave Martens

Missoula, MT

#2239 Jul 18, 2012
Kim Sherman-The Frantics wrote:
Hi, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread but it is great reading all of these memories about Santa Fe.
This probably goes back too far for most to remember but in the 1960's I (Kim Sherman) was the lead guitarist with a group called The Frantics. Although originally from Billings, MT we lived in Santa Fe for about 2-3 years during which time we also had stints living in New York City.
We used to play a lot in Santa Fe (as well as all over the US) and I remember doing gigs at JP's Palace (JP was John Philbin who also later managed us for a while), at the College and other places. I do remember one great gig at the college during Fiesta. While living in Santa Fe we also played all over New Mexico (Los Alamos, Albuquerque, Roswell, Hobbs, Las Cruces, Lovington, etc.) as well as Colorado and Texas. The guy that did our great lightshow was Captain Whizzo.
We were hippies to say the least and I can't think of a better place to live as a hippy during that time around the Summer of love than in Santa Fe.
I and 2 other members of the group rented a 3 bedroom house at 1105 West Alameda for $110 a month. We could have bought it for $12,000 (which might as well been $12 million to us at that time.) I'll bet the price has gone up a little bit since then.
We used to eat at Fred's Drive In a lot and he put an item on the menu named after us called the "Frantic Burger" because we always wanted green chile on our hamburgers. Several years after we broke up I was driving thru Santa Fe and the green chile "Frantic Burger" was still on the menu.
I think we stayed at every motel on Cerrillos road at one time or another.
I don't remember all the names of the streets and stuff, especially compared to others on this blog but I do remember Claudes Bar pretty well and also Canyon Road and some head shops as Bunny (Alexis Griego who we first met was a DJ at the radio station - her family owned El Nido - in Tesuque), put all of us up in her house there for a while and stuffed us on her great sopapillas.
My girlfriend was a beautiful little Mexican girl with incredible really long brown hair named Yolanda Lela Fernandez and she was usually with me at our gigs.
Lots of great memories about Santa Fe and the people although I probably wouldn't recognize it now.
I've been living in Kona, Hawaii for over 21 years now but many times when I go out at night and stand on the lanai (balcony) of my house, I think of the smell of Santa Fe in the Winter. The smell of the pinon smoke coming out of the fireplaces. Who can forget that?
I remember behind our house on West Alameda there was a hill where we used to go up at night and straighten our heads and gaze out at the lights of the town.
I remember catching a plane at the airport to Phoenix (via Albuquerque) and I was late. The plane was starting to taxi down the runway and I can running out waving "frantically" and it stopped for me and let me on. Good luck doing that these days.
Anyway I apologize if this doesn't fit in with all the rest of the great posts here but for a couple of years I was very much a part of Santa Fe and it will always be a part of me. I'm sorry for the eardrums The Frantics blew but if we happened to blow your mind....you're welcome and thanks for coming to our gig.
Fond memories for sure.
Kim,
Thanks for the post. I would really enjoy talking with you more about the Frantics and the Billings music scene. I am working on a compilation of Montana garage bands and am currently in possession of the master tape of the Frantics 1st 45 (Route 66 b/w La-Do-Da-Da). Here is the link to the facebook page for the project: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Long-Time-Comin...
my email is [email protected] I am in Missoula.
R Post

Santa Fe, NM

#2240 Aug 4, 2012
Yorkie wrote:
I was thinking about some of the places to shop years ago in Santa Fe. I remember El Pavon, which was on the Plaza across from La Fonda; La Tienda, which was on the corner of San Francisco Street and Galisteo; and Town and Country, which was on Lincoln Street. It was owned by Agnes James who designed beautiful fiesta dresses. The one name I can't remember is the up-scale dress shop that was on the corner of Burro Alley and San Francisco St. It was next to the Lensic. Does anyone remember?
The name of the shop was "Godey's."
Yorkie

Goleta, CA

#2241 Aug 4, 2012
Thank you. I was hoping someone would remember.
RalphP

Livingston, MT

#2242 Aug 25, 2012
Anyone remember a seafood place named "Captin's Table"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In deep hole, a chance for economic improvement Jan 8 rmeghan34 1
News Judge refuses to split charges in sex solicitat... Sep '16 The Truth 1
News Home sweet home school (Dec '08) Sep '16 Mr Coach 8
News New jury system aims to ease burden of duty (Sep '09) Sep '16 Jeanne Scripps 5
News Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Aug '16 Char 42
News Wind energy sweeps plains; course correction in... (Jan '09) Jul '16 bpayne37 21
News Former astronaut scoffs at global warming (Feb '09) Jul '16 Into The Night 2,406
More from around the web