Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans
Miss Santa Fe

UK

#2203 Dec 31, 2010
Yes, I miss Santa Fe. I wasn't born in SF, but I grew up there in the 80's and loved it.
Robbie

Sacramento, CA

#2204 Jan 2, 2011
Chapeau D Abeille wrote:
Okay, Here's one that may sound sort of strange. I recall a fast food joint on Cerrillos called "Wackwonalds" (obviously a take off on McDonalds). Their sign had arches and a goofy looking cartoon bird. Their TV and radio ads said they were "next to the Yucky Drive In".
I remember this and I'm not even from Santa Fe! We stopped at "wackwonald's" on our way through Santa Fe from Texas! I swear it was the same restaurant as the one in the movie "dumb & dumber" where they put the peppers on the guys burger.

Since: Sep 08

AOL

#2205 Jan 2, 2011
Robbie wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember this and I'm not even from Santa Fe! We stopped at "wackwonald's" on our way through Santa Fe from Texas! I swear it was the same restaurant as the one in the movie "dumb & dumber" where they put the peppers on the guys burger.
>> smiles wickedly
Robert Tiano

Houston, TX

#2206 Jan 24, 2011
Santiago Valentine wrote:
Is Tiano's Sporting goods still in business?
no it closed down
Robert Tiano

Houston, TX

#2207 Jan 24, 2011
no it sold then closed down
Roy B

United States

#2208 Jan 24, 2011
Robert Tiano wrote:
no it sold then closed down
I know David is still in Santa Fe....what about Tommy and Nancy ??
Alan Armfield

Santa Fe, NM

#2209 Feb 10, 2011
George Pomonis wrote:
<quoted text>
Veronica, The restaurants owned by my father and uncle was the Mayflower, the Plaza Cafe was owned by my other uncle and his son(all Pomonis.") The restaurant that your relative was referring to where Evangelos is now was the Faith Cafe owned by Kalangis. Just south of the Faith on Galisteo was the infamous George King's dance hall and bar. I bet your father knew a lot of those old Greeks in SF.{:-)
George,

You mention the old Greeks in SF. Do you know the Koroneos family?
suz

AOL

#2210 Feb 10, 2011
HI all ! I know a few Koroneos and I met Nick Klonis when I was fourteen , he moved from Greece with his family to a house on my parents block , he barely new English
suz

AOL

#2211 Feb 10, 2011
oh Nick of Evangelos

Since: Feb 11

Santa Fe, NM

#2212 Feb 11, 2011
suz wrote:
HI all ! I know a few Koroneos and I met Nick Klonis when I was fourteen , he moved from Greece with his family to a house on my parents block , he barely new English
Did you know Steve Koroneos? He was originally from Crete.
suz

AOL

#2213 Feb 13, 2011
yes but the Steve K i know is local
Alan Armfield

Santa Fe, NM

#2214 Feb 14, 2011
suz wrote:
yes but the Steve K i know is local
Yes I knew Steve the younger. I went to school with him. Did you?
suz

AOL

#2215 Feb 15, 2011
Alan Armfield wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I knew Steve the younger. I went to school with him. Did you?
yes I grad with him in '74
Alan Armfield

Santa Fe, NM

#2216 Feb 15, 2011
Susie Garcia? Susie Gibbs? Or can't say? I graduated '74, too. I have an electronic copy of the Para Manana for that year that Robert Vail scanned in.
tcrow

Albuquerque, NM

#2217 Feb 22, 2011
I remember when my dad opened the Coronado Shopping Center and Furr's Supermarket. Yes he gave away bags of grocerys and a new Lincoln. Remember playing in the Old Prison accross the street. Alavoid elem. and Salazar elem. That was the good old day's

Since: Sep 08

AOL

#2218 Feb 22, 2011
All you guys behave. I was already teaching at SFH in '74. lol
santafean

Albuquerque, NM

#2219 Aug 29, 2011
Yorkie wrote:
This thread is such fun!
Ingram Pickett was almost seven feet tall. When he ran for a political office-I believe it was State Corporation Commissioner--he had his name officially changed to "Ingram Your Seven-Foot Friend Pickett" so that it would appear that way on the ballot. He also used to dress as Uncle Sam and walk in various parades.
I have old slides of pickett dressed as uncle Sam in fiesta parades in the 1940's
Yorkie

AOL

#2220 Sep 1, 2011
It was such a surprise to hear about your slides of "Uncle Sam." As a child, I would always say, "Hi, Uncle Sam," whenever I would see Mr. Pickett.

I guess everyone is getting ready for Fiesta in Santa Fe.

I'm sorry the posts to this thread have stopped. Everyone is probably on Facebook.
suz

AOL

#2221 Sep 6, 2011
Alan Armfield wrote:
Susie Garcia? Susie Gibbs? Or can't say? I graduated '74, too. I have an electronic copy of the Para Manana for that year that Robert Vail scanned in.
susie garcia
suz

AOL

#2222 Sep 6, 2011
oh I wish i had one too my sis has them all lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge refuses to split charges in sex solicitat... Sep '16 The Truth 1
News Home sweet home school (Dec '08) Sep '16 Mr Coach 8
News New jury system aims to ease burden of duty (Sep '09) Sep '16 Jeanne Scripps 5
News Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Aug '16 Char 42
News Wind energy sweeps plains; course correction in... (Jan '09) Jul '16 bpayne37 21
News Former astronaut scoffs at global warming (Feb '09) Jul '16 Into The Night 2,406
News Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) Jun '16 Goldman Sachs 17
More from around the web