suz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

yes new streets and I remember just a few streets when I was a kid OH and galisteo st was the longest st lol !(grew up on that street)
Greg D

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Do you remember 2 stone outhouse sized stone buildings off Galisteo near Cordova?

These were built by Cartwright to store dynamite, because they were so far from town.

For me, Cerrillos was the longest street. We lived on Declovina for many years and it seemed to take forever to get to town.

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

Cerrillos was such a long road, it went all the way to Albuquerque or the SF Airport--depending on how you turned at the y. lol
Greg D

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

I think it was the winter of 1947 and my mother wanted to go to Taos for New Years. It snowed a lot and one could barely tell where the road was.

The bus was ice cold, and from where I sat you could look down through a rusted out floor and see the highway under the bus as it went.

Somewhere along the road the Driver discovered that he wasn't on the road at all, but atop a mountain ridge several miles above it on the right.

He stopped and got stuck and everyone had to get out and push.

I think it was almost 10 hours getting to Taos. When the bus got there we went next door to the La Fonda and my mother spent all night dancing with Saki. This was the beginning of a 50 year romance. He died around 1997 or 8 I think, but I never heard what from.

My mother wouldn't marry him because he was Greek Catholic, and she was afraid her brothers in Texas would come up and kill him. This was my first exposure to this type of prejudice. Which is probably why I just can't put up with it today from anybody.
george

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

New Mexican wrote:
Who remembers Beva's Cafe?
They had the best huevos rancheros ever ... this was in the early 80's when I was down there visiting some friends at St. John's college.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

george wrote:
<quoted text>
They had the best huevos rancheros ever ... this was in the early 80's when I was down there visiting some friends at St. John's college.
Wow, what a bus trip. Amazing that you eventually got to Taos.

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

george wrote:
<quoted text>
It was when I was at the College of Santa Fe (the Harvard of the West) that I discovered I had been having huevos rancheros for breakfast every day of my life. We just called it almuerzo (breakfast). The restaurants called them huevos rancheros. Almuerzo was always better at home than the huevos rancheros in the restaurants.
Marie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Greg! Just now saw your message about the two stone little houses at cerrillos and galisteo. I completely forgot about them! I also read your story about the bus trip and Take. It brought to mind how we don't even see passenger busses anymore!
suz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

oh yeah! Beva's and Greg D what a horrible experience
suz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2010

oh yes greg we lived on galisteo at don fernando right by cordova , was scared of those

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

I don't remember two houses. There is still one stone house there. Someone said it was used by the army to store dynomite.
Marie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Greg, showed your house story to my husband. His only response was,"wow!" It will be a fun story to share when someone says theyhad a bad trip to Taos. We can say "You think YOU had a bad trip too Take. Let me tell you of the time..."
Greg D

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Pablo Baca wrote:
I don't remember two houses. There is still one stone house there. Someone said it was used by the army to store dynomite.
Cartwright's hardware store sold it to miners. There were two of them at one time, but the last time I was in Santa Fe there was only one.
Greg D

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

suz wrote:
oh yes greg we lived on galisteo at don fernando right by cordova , was scared of those
Is the Church of Christ bldg. still there?

I'll try to keep this brief.

That building is the "new one", built around 1950. The old one was down the street between the Packard dealer and Safeway, forgot the street name. Anyhow---When the new building wasn't ready, and we had to vacate the old bldg because it was sold, we had services at Baradinelli's Mortuary for a few weeks.

I was little then, and one Sunday several of us were playing hide and go seek before the services were to begin. A kid ran into the back room climbed up a ladder, and jumped into a long wooden box. It was very dark, there were no lights on.

And screamed bloody murder, loud enough to wake the dead, when he discovered he had landed on top of a corpse laying in a casket.

It was that week we were suppose to be at the new church, only no one told us.

As we waited for services to begin, I remarked to my mother that there certainly were a lot of new visitors here today.

In a few moments, I think a gong sounded, and we turned around and a bunch of long bearded people in robes, carrying long sticks, etc., started marching down the aisle.

This was not the Church of Christ. At first we thought it was some special KKK event and we got out of there as fast as we could.

We were told later it was a Greek Orthrodox service.

I've already told George this, but thought the new readers here might like the story.
Greg D

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

PS: It was called the Memorial Chapel then.
Greg D

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

The Safeway was on the street that runs into the north side of Burro Alley, and Palace I think. It was between a service station and several large tennis courts. There was a government building across the street, which I think was the county court house, but don't swear by me, lol. Just north of this is a little street that ran to what later became part of the new Taos highway. This Safeway is no longer there.

The Presbyterian Church was also close by, but don't know if it is still there or not.

Last time I was in Santa Fe was in 1985. I plan to see it again if I don't wait tooooo long.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Great to hear your story Greg. Santa Fe has definately changed. Let me know when you come to visit La Villa Real--I'll give you a tour!

Since: Oct 08

Dent, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

George @ Suz: My parents lived on the SE corner of San Fernando and Don Diego. They had moved there in 1951. I was in college when they moved there and would visit with them from time to time with our young family.

Since: Oct 08

Dent, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Yes
Greg from time to time the Orthodox church would hold services at Memorial Chapel. But it could have been an Orthodox funeral. There were a lot of Greek bachelors liviin SF at the time.
suz

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

greg!! how scary!! it's still there but called something else again. you mean don fernando george? that sounds like where the Palermo's lived down the street , was it nearby?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,101 - 2,120 of2,192
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Search the The Santa Fe New Mexican Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) Apr 11 swedenforever 9
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Apr 2 Lynne Loss 8
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar 26 Billie 3
THE RECESSION: Many pushed many to seek second ... (Mar '09) Mar 26 Sileas 2
Letters to editor for March 3, 2009 (Mar '09) Mar 26 Leonora 33
THE RECESSION: Many pushed many to seek second ... (Sep '09) Mar 26 Liz 3
Household debt sees first drop in decades (Dec '08) Mar 26 Mair 2
•••

Santa Fe Conditions

(updated 1 hr ago)

Weather
Cloudy 67°F
Hi: 68°F