Comments
1 - 20 of 2,201 Comments Last updated Friday Aug 8
First Prev
of 111
Next Last
Local Santa Fe Guy

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Oct 21, 2008
Holy Cow is this one mean and nasty web site. It's getting worse by the day.

The ISP says i'm from Abq....but i'm here in Santa.

So, to all true Santa Feans, lets make a little nice. List some of your memories growing up....

Do you remember when.....

The Rock Shop was the last place south of town on Cerrillos Road?

Claudes Bar on Canyon Road - or the Bourbon & Blues?

When the Steaksmith was in the DeVargas Hotel?

When St. Francis dead ended at St. Michaels Drive?

We used to play Demon/Horsemen games at Majors?

We would get a lunch Zooks? Also, I used to love to go and get a burger and Coke at Fred's Drive In at Baca & Cerrillos.

Hey, can't we all just get along?

What are some of your memories?

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Oct 21, 2008
I remember cruzin up and down Cerrillos Road. Start at Lyine Bragg by the Yucca Drive In, drive in towards town. Drive around Ingram's. Drive to the Highway Department parking lot and park, or keep driving towards downtown. Drive real slowly by the Senate Lounge and (I think it was George King's Bar). If you were lucky you could watch women get thrown out by the bouncers and fight in the street. Drive around the plaza several times, and then head out towards Cerrillos Road. Drive around Fred's Drive In by Baca Street. Drive around A & W Drive In further south on Cerrillos Road. Drive by the Tastee Freeze. Go real slowly by the Pueblo Drive In to watch some of the movie. Keep driving south, and make a U Turn by the Yucca and start all over.

It's a good thing gas for the car was cheap!

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Oct 21, 2008
Another memory!

Goin to the Yucca Drive In with two people in the front seat and 5 packed in the trunk so you didn't have to pay for everyone.

Mr. Michaelson usually caught us and either sent us home or made us pay the difference.
KD Murphy

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Oct 21, 2008
Yip, remember the rock shop.

Claudes - Not old enough for that but have heard lots of stories.

Yes, Steaksmith and De Vargas Hotel

Don't exactly remember the dead end of St. Francis, but remember that one of my dad's business partners
house was smack in the middle of it. They built a new house and the old one was bulldozed.

Remember Majors. Also remember playing tennis down town on the courts at the corner of Grant and Catron. Where the old Mid High used to be. School moved before I got there.

First owners of Zooks were neighbors, second owners eventually same neighborhood. Definitely Fred's.

The Fiesta Carnival being in the parking lot of the old Safeway on Grant.

Bell's, Sears, Kahns, JCP, Guarantee, Dendahls - all downtown.

So much snow one year school was closed for two weeks.

Winnie Beasley playing the washboard at El Nido. She drove around on a WWII motorcycle with a sidecar.

Going to the Palace Restr. was always a real treat.

I could go on and on. Fun times.

WHO ARE YOU?
KD Murphy

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Oct 21, 2008
Swensen's Ice Cream Parlor, Chez Renee Restr. The owner of that place is still there. Apparently will never be a sell out.

Carlos Gilbert Elem.

The old bowling alley with the skating rink and the Estrada Room Restr. TG&Y, all where SF Baking company is now.

Partying at the power lines and "the hill", by St. John's. Jungle Juice.

Ok, you got me started. WHO ARE YOU?
charleeb

Hopkinsville, KY

#6 Oct 21, 2008
Don't forget Woolworths, Taicherts,Moores
charleeb

Hopkinsville, KY

#7 Oct 21, 2008
and "The Rat HolE" located right across from the Lensic Theater
KD Murphy

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Oct 21, 2008
I thought the Rat Hole was the liquor store at right off St Francis on Agua Fria or whatever it turns into. Remember Moore's, what's Taicherts?
charleeb

Hopkinsville, KY

#9 Oct 21, 2008
Taicherts(5&10 cent store) was between Woolworths & Moores. Rat hole was a soda joint right across from Lensic. Late 50s, early 60s. Remember those cherry cokes!
PC Chavez

Placentia, CA

#10 Oct 21, 2008
The Candyman across from Swensens. I saw Tusker play at the Bourbon & Blues and The Band (Robbie Robertson) at Shidoni's.

Remember well when the Steaksmith opened. Don't forget lunch at Josie's Casa de Comida on Marcy.

Location hidden

#11 Oct 21, 2008
Wow, what an exciting place to grow up in back then.

Miyazaki

#12 Oct 21, 2008
How about Levine's clothing store on the Plaza across from La Fonda. Or when The Shed was actually in an old shed on Burro Alley. I bought my first camera at Santa Fe Book and Stationary on San Francisco. Tito's Market at Garcia and Acequia Madre.

A few weeks ago I went back to where the new Convention Center replaced the Santa Fe High School Sweeney Gym. New buildings but still fake adobe style.
KD Murphy

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Oct 21, 2008
What horses **** deleted my post and why? All I said was I wasn't around when The Rat Hole and Taicherts existed.

Miyazaki

#14 Oct 21, 2008
KD Murphy wrote:
What horses **** deleted my post and why? All I said was I wasn't around when The Rat Hole and Taicherts existed.
Don't panic, nothing has been deleted from this thread, so far. Look again.
29 santa fe

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Oct 21, 2008
Santa Fe was a great place to grow up. Mid high was the best. Frito pies from Woolworth for lunch!!!! Going to football games at Majors Field was so much fun. The whole city actually supported the teams. It's too bad that support is gone. Spending a whole day at the Lensic theater watching Planet of the Apes over and over. Going to see Zozobra and fiestas with my parents and siblings was safe.
We would take walks to the foothills and dodge Frenchie's pellet gun as he yelled for us to get off his property. Oh the days of old Santa Fe...long gone. Now just a bunch of snobby art galleries.
KD Murphy

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Oct 21, 2008
Steve van Dresser wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't panic, nothing has been deleted from this thread, so far. Look again.
Well,oops. It must not have posted. My sincere apologies to the horses ****.

AOL

#17 Oct 21, 2008
Remember the grand opening of Coronodo Center (the shopping center where Trader Joe's is now. The food store gave away bags of groceries every half hour. You couldn't find a parking place anywhere (we walked from our house).

Remember the fountain. The kids would throw laundry detergent in it so that it was full of bubbles the next day.

Santa Fe was fun and so full of excitement. lol
Dave S

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Oct 22, 2008
I remember going to Johnnys Market on Taos St., Big Joe's downtown, Tiano's Sporting Goods was the best, the old prison on St. Francis Dr., the airport was way out of town, Capitol Ford on Rosario, Bat-Rite Food Markets, Barry's Market, Tito's on Garcia St.,
getting a mustard dog at Della's, standing in line to pay 15 cents to swim at the municipool, Rodeo Road was paved from Cerrillos to the Rodeo Grounds then dirt all the way to the LV highway, at basketball games in Sweeny it was so hot and so full of cigarette smoke you had to go to the top and try to suck some fresh air out of the window cracks just to breathe, Maria's restaurant had a mural of Italian Swiss Colony Wines painted on the side, after mass on sundays we would race home to watch championship wrestling live from the Civic Auditorium in Alb.- hosted by Mike London - and then at school we would argue about who got to be Ricky Romero or Mr. Wrestling or Dory Funk. Innocent and fun times, Sherida Fly would play the piano at Furrs Caf on Sundays during lunch.

Santa Fe, NM

#19 Oct 22, 2008
Great memories Dave. Remember the bus system back then? They used short school busses. Or Father Gallie from St. John's Catholic Church driving all the Catholic kids to school.

Since: Oct 08

Hopkinsville, KY

#20 Oct 22, 2008
Did any one mention The Bakery right across from Santa Fe High downtown?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 111
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug 13 Lynne Loss 10
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3
THE RECESSION: Many pushed many to seek second ... (Mar '09) Mar '14 Sileas 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••