Los Alamos man gets 10 years for murder of wife

There are 20 comments on the May 8, 2009, The Santa Fe New Mexican story titled Los Alamos man gets 10 years for murder of wife. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Jack Markham will spend 10 years in prison for shooting his wife, Robin, to death last August in the bedroom of their Los Alamos home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Katherine Guidry

Albuquerque, NM

#1 May 8, 2009
Two lawyers get together and agree that a womans life is not worth more the 10 years of confinement?? Is this justice?

Really?? Unbelievable...I do not know this couple but can not fathom someone saying I did it and only getting 10 years.

A women's life was taken. She was of value to the world. What kind of message is this to our youth?
Had a bad day, felt like shooting off the guns and killed my wife.

I am outraged!!
Paradise

AOL

#2 May 8, 2009
10 years for killing your wife--deal between the Public Defender and the DA--such is life in Santa Fe now--2 liberal offices deciding the fate of justice--
redlightcamerasb ite

Las Vegas, NM

#3 May 8, 2009
Paradise wrote:
10 years for killing your wife--deal between the Public Defender and the DA--such is life in Santa Fe now--2 liberal offices deciding the fate of justice--
and 10-1 says markham is a gun loving right wing wacko.

Since: Dec 08

Santa Fe, NM

#4 May 8, 2009
I might be considered by some as one of those right wing wackos on some issues, but I firmly believe that gun ownership should be limited to those who can prove they are of sound mind and spotless background. Every weapon should be registered like a car and that ownership should be tracked the same way.
Just a thought

Santa Fe, NM

#5 May 8, 2009
He got a lighter sentence because he pleaded guilty and cooperated to the extent that the law expects. It further relieved him of having to testify. That is how the system works, like it or not.

I personally don't like the fact that he will only serve 10 years, maybe even less for good behavior. It sends a horrible message in a time where homicide is seen as a common alternative to divorce to far too many people. But if we don't like this outcome, then we should all get outraged and do something to change the system.
Judge Roy Bean

Bloomington, IN

#6 May 8, 2009
Petchy in Santa Fe wrote:
I might be considered by some as one of those right wing wackos on some issues, but I firmly believe that gun ownership should be limited to those who can prove they are of sound mind and spotless background. Every weapon should be registered like a car and that ownership should be tracked the same way.
I too may fall into that catagory as a lifetime NRA member. I fully promote legal and responsible ownership.

In this story there is one aspect which bothers me. Knowing he had guns and was suicidal, she took it upon herself to try and reason with him. She should have contacted the police to make contact with him. Chances are they would have temporarily disarmed him and helped him find mental health assistance.

In no way do I blame the victim here. Personal responsibility lies wholly with Markham and he got off super light. I am disgusted with the sentence.

I only bring this to light for anyone who may be faced with similar circumstances.
phaedrus

Santa Fe, NM

#7 May 8, 2009
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
<quoted text>
I too may fall into that catagory as a lifetime NRA member. I fully promote legal and responsible ownership.
In this story there is one aspect which bothers me. Knowing he had guns and was suicidal, she took it upon herself to try and reason with him. She should have contacted the police to make contact with him. Chances are they would have temporarily disarmed him and helped him find mental health assistance.
In no way do I blame the victim here. Personal responsibility lies wholly with Markham and he got off super light. I am disgusted with the sentence.
I only bring this to light for anyone who may be faced with similar circumstances.
Protection of the 2nd amendment rights should not make distinctions on who should own guns. Markham who is also probably mentally ill has a much right to own a gun as someone else.
Furthermore once a convicted murderer has done his time in prison his record and been released this should not prevent gun ownership. The Right to bear and keep arms makes no distinctions in the constitution to whom it applies .
Khal Spencer

Los Alamos, NM

#8 May 8, 2009
Here is another story we can follow, and the sometimes futility of pressing charges against a wacko. Wonder what kind of sentence Stephen Morgan will receive for the cold-blooded murder of Johanna Justin-Jinich.

As a firm supporter of the 2nd Amendment, I think we who support gun rights have a special job to do in finding solutions to gun crimes before a victim is buried, rather than at trial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/nyregion/08...
rights

Santa Fe, NM

#9 May 8, 2009
phaedrus wrote:
<quoted text>
Protection of the 2nd amendment rights should not make distinctions on who should own guns. Markham who is also probably mentally ill has a much right to own a gun as someone else.
Furthermore once a convicted murderer has done his time in prison his record and been released this should not prevent gun ownership. The Right to bear and keep arms makes no distinctions in the constitution to whom it applies .
can be taken away based on past actions. Felons can't vote use a gun in a crime, sorry charlie.
Khal Spencer

Los Alamos, NM

#10 May 8, 2009
Amendment 14 - Citizenship Rights. Ratified 7/9/1868. Note History

1. "...No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Seems to me a state can deprive a citizen of the right to bear arms as long as due process is followed, including certifying someone as a nut case or passing a law requiring a reformed felon who owns a gun to register, much as we do convicted sex offenders.

I might not agree with all of this, but the sex offender "scarlet letter" laws have so far passed Constitutional muster.
phaedrus wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a thought

Santa Fe, NM

#11 May 8, 2009
Since it seems that I have read too many of these cases nationally in that past five or years, I would like to see the FBI keep statistics on homicides that involve the strain or breakup of a relationship. Then I would like to see these crimes be categorized as a capitol offense. This takes the issue away from gun ownership and looks to directly focus on the root of the problem.
From the NYT

Bernalillo, NM

#12 May 8, 2009
In recent years, Iowa, Nebraska and New Mexico have repealed their lifetime bans on voting by people who have been convicted of felonies, and several other states made it easier for freed prisoners or those on probation to vote, according to the report, issued yesterday by the Sentencing Project, a liberal advocacy group in Washington.

What's to stop a felon from using a gun in a crime? Anyone can purchase a weapon illegally.
Khal Spencer

Los Alamos, NM

#13 May 8, 2009
[QUOTE who="What's to stop a felon from using a gun in a crime? Anyone can purchase a weapon illegally.[/QUOTE]

Not much, as you point out. One has to get inside someone's head before they make the decision to do the deed.
Judge Roy Bean

Bloomington, IN

#14 May 8, 2009
Regardless of Phaedrus's weird rant, the law (I'm not talking about illegal gun sales) restricts whom may own a gun for several reasons, including past felonies, drug and/or alcohol abuse and mental or medical issues which may impair judgment. This is wholly supported by the NRA.

You drink and drive, you lose your right to drive. Whoops, not in NM.

Rights are protected for those who are responsible/ Act irresponsibly, lose your right.
OMG

Cerrillos, NM

#15 May 8, 2009
Isn't that something! the young hispanic boy here in Santa Fe who recently was found Guilty of Murder I didn't get a offer to plea did he? But the anglo from Los Alamos did. He get's 10 years for murdering his wife and this boy of 26 years old get life for killing another boy who in my opinion was not such a saint. Not that that condones his killing him 'cause it doesn't. But it sure is something isn't it?
Just a thought

Santa Fe, NM

#16 May 8, 2009
OMG wrote:
Isn't that something! the young hispanic boy here in Santa Fe who recently was found Guilty of Murder I didn't get a offer to plea did he? But the anglo from Los Alamos did. He get's 10 years for murdering his wife and this boy of 26 years old get life for killing another boy who in my opinion was not such a saint. Not that that condones his killing him 'cause it doesn't. But it sure is something isn't it?
If he was FOUND guilty that means he plead NOT GUILTY. When someone does that, they do not deserve a lighter sentence or plea deal...because he obviously DID NOT PLEAD GUILTY. DO NOT turn this into a race or ethnic issue. If you're too ignorant to understand the judicial process, then shut the ^*&( up.
Shut up

Santa Fe, NM

#17 May 8, 2009
OMG wrote:
Did you even know MAX??? Probably not. You are one of those people who like to comment on issues they have absolutely not freaking idea of what they are talking about. Who do you think you are? You obviously are not very educated either. By the way, no one in my opinion can be called a "saint", but MAX was a great person, and even if he was whatever you think was, he did not deserve to die. No one deserves what MAX got!
george

Meadville, PA

#18 May 8, 2009
No One deserves t die........
the fact that he owned 5 6 ot 7 guns has a WHOLE...LOT TO DO WITH THIS STORY........

IT WAS BAD relationship....and the guns did not help the situation......

10 yr is NOT enough.........period......... .
Marine One

Akron, OH

#19 May 12, 2009
george wrote:
No One deserves t die........
the fact that he owned 5 6 ot 7 guns has a WHOLE...LOT TO DO WITH THIS STORY........
IT WAS BAD relationship....and the guns did not help the situation......
10 yr is NOT enough.........period......... .
Jesus, what's with the fear of guns? If Jack wanted to kill his wife and had no guns he'd have beat her to death with a club or choked her out. Long live the 2nd Amendment you idiots!
Monorprise

Albuquerque, NM

#20 May 13, 2009
After reading the Article it seems clear this was a crime of passion and that he greatly regrets the crime, its unlikely he will ever forgive himself for it. Given his age and condition I think 10 years is adequate. I am tempted to agree with Geri Perrault, he probably should have taken his own life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Living with voices: S.F. man copes with schizop... (Dec '08) Feb '15 LucitaAranda 34
News Beaver Toyota relocation plan hits annex snag (Nov '08) Feb '15 Hoka Huste 50
News Pro-choice stance a deal breaker for these Demo... (Oct '08) Jan '15 apodacamel 15
News Small-scale room design tips (Apr '09) Jan '15 Pavlos Lombardi 2
News Santa Fe Horse Park co-owner to lose home to fo... (Feb '09) Jan '15 sharonk 16
News Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) Dec '14 Paul Szeman 12
News 'The Awakening' lies dormant amid legal dispute (Oct '09) Dec '14 cfb 26
More from around the web