Senators: Study bringing Valles Caldera under national parks

There are 15 comments on the Jun 25, 2009, The Santa Fe New Mexican story titled Senators: Study bringing Valles Caldera under national parks. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

New Mexico's U.S. Senators Jeff Bingaman and Tom Udall today asked the National Park Service to study the potential for including the 89,000 acre Valles Caldera National Preserve near Los Alamos in the National Park System.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

lawsuit

Los Alamos, NM

#1 Jun 25, 2009
The National Park Service is more qualified and cost effective to manage the Valles Caldera than the people running the Caldera now. Contact Bingaman and Udall's office and ask them to support this change for the good of the American taxpayer.
smokey

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Jun 25, 2009
anything is better than the way it is run now...
Happy Day

Los Alamos, NM

#3 Jun 25, 2009
It's about time! The Valles Caldera National Preserve is a disgrace in its present form.
smokey

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Jun 25, 2009
Odd, how we all know how mismanaged it is, yet nothing ever changes. Who is ultimately in charge of it? typical NM.
It is not

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Jun 25, 2009
smokey wrote:
Odd, how we all know how mismanaged it is, yet nothing ever changes. Who is ultimately in charge of it? typical NM.
mismanged and the problems have nothing to do with New Mexico and everything to do with a mandate that it makes money. Thank God they are taking it slowly and trying to do the right thing in the meantime. But the problem remains that they are supposed to try manage it in an unmanagable way.

By the way, limited access has helped the land heal. There is not a speck of litter there and great science and restoration work being done.
Martha Gilbert

Marlborough, CT

#6 Jun 25, 2009
I am not a hunter, but believe New Mexico has many Nat'l Parks and can afford to allow this area a preserve. In addition, Ted Turner is the largest landowner in NM and his ranch is also a preserve with no hunting. Hunting should be regulated in some areas of the Los Almos preserve.
Living Small

Santa Fe, NM

#7 Jun 25, 2009
Sorry, but your misinformed. Ted Turner does have hunting on all his properties and the NPS does allow elk hunting in some of their parks. I would like some of the comments to clarify what they think is wrong with the VCP now. I still see them ironing out some glitches but to me it is a great place to visit and they are doing a great job.
concerned valley resident

Thoreau, NM

#8 Jun 25, 2009
The mandate that the VC preserve become financially self-sufficient was never a good idea and it not likely that it ever could be without extensive grazing and resource extraction. User fees won't cut it either. I agree that the caldera has recovered quite a bit and would hate to see the fences flung open for every yahoo to go in and trash the place. However, I am frustrated that I can't enjoy low impact recreation like running, hiking, photography, camping, mtn biking and xc skiing without going through complicated reservations and guided "tours".
I fully support the proposal to transfer management of the VC to the NPS and plan to encourage the NM Congressional delegation to support the proposal as well.
SFean

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Jun 26, 2009
Let's remember, it was a public-private'experiment' to begin with. The VC is not really working as a self-supporting entity...and most likely will never be able to fulfill that mandate, regardless of who is on the Board of trustees. We will support our NM delegation's proposal to turn it into a National Park Service Preserve.
Jason Shapiro

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jun 26, 2009
Let's just call the Valle Caldera Trust "experiment" what it is - a combination of stupid and nefarious. it was stupid because it never made any sense from a land management standpoint. It was nefarious because it was cooked up by Pete Dominici and his cronies who knew exactly what they wanted. How could it ever have been economically self-sufficient? Oh, I dunno, maybe with a combination of cattle grazing, a high end hunting lodge, and maybe, just maybe, a little geothermal energy development. It's time to manage the Valle Caldera in an intelligent and honest manner and we should all appreciate our Senators taking the lead on this issue.
Roe Lovelace

Santa Fe, NM

#11 Jun 26, 2009
I was a Commissioner on NM Indian Affairs when Pete Domenici decided to buy this land. I suggested they give it back to the Indians(Jemez and Ssnta Clara),he said we can't do that we would have to give all their lands back..I said what is wrong with that? I also, had a ranch this size in Lincoln county and know what it takes to make money on it..It would ruin the reparin areas as cattle trample the areas around water...Why doesn't it already belong to the Nat'l Park Service?

Since: Nov 08

northern New Mexico

#12 Jun 26, 2009
Maybe as a private ranch, it could be self-sufficient. But, it was never a viable model from the get-go for VCT. However, as I recall, the mandate to be self-sufficient was the only way then to keep the valle intact and in trust for public use.
Tom Ribe

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jun 26, 2009
Many citizens have been working very hard to get to this point with the New Mexico delegation. We are fortunate to have people like our senators in Washington who have the ethics to understand what the public interest really is at the Valles Caldera. The NPS is the only agency that can take care of the VCNP and manage the many people who will want to visit as New Mexico's population increases. However, this is not a done deal! We need to stay involved least the cattle industry or other interests sidetrack the NPS proposal and we end up with a bad situation like US Forest Service management. Write Congress!
Valles Concerned

Abiquiu, NM

#14 Jun 29, 2009
This could be good to see what the Park's can realistically do. If they take over would we go through a period of no access again, while they go through their NEPA process? I have a feeling it will be years after they take over, before there would be access like some folks are expecting.
Tom Ribe wrote:
Many citizens have been working very hard to get to this point with the New Mexico delegation. We are fortunate to have people like our senators in Washington who have the ethics to understand what the public interest really is at the Valles Caldera. The NPS is the only agency that can take care of the VCNP and manage the many people who will want to visit as New Mexico's population increases. However, this is not a done deal! We need to stay involved least the cattle industry or other interests sidetrack the NPS proposal and we end up with a bad situation like US Forest Service management. Write Congress!
Valles Concerned

Abiquiu, NM

#15 Jun 29, 2009
I agree their website needs work. Have you tried calling the toll free number and making your reservations over the phone?
concerned valley resident wrote:
The mandate that the VC preserve become financially self-sufficient was never a good idea and it not likely that it ever could be without extensive grazing and resource extraction. User fees won't cut it either. I agree that the caldera has recovered quite a bit and would hate to see the fences flung open for every yahoo to go in and trash the place. However, I am frustrated that I can't enjoy low impact recreation like running, hiking, photography, camping, mtn biking and xc skiing without going through complicated reservations and guided "tours".
I fully support the proposal to transfer management of the VC to the NPS and plan to encourage the NM Congressional delegation to support the proposal as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Living with voices: S.F. man copes with schizop... (Dec '08) Feb '15 LucitaAranda 34
News Beaver Toyota relocation plan hits annex snag (Nov '08) Feb '15 Hoka Huste 50
News Pro-choice stance a deal breaker for these Demo... (Oct '08) Jan '15 apodacamel 15
News Small-scale room design tips (Apr '09) Jan '15 Pavlos Lombardi 2
News Santa Fe Horse Park co-owner to lose home to fo... (Feb '09) Jan '15 sharonk 16
News Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) Dec '14 Paul Szeman 12
News 'The Awakening' lies dormant amid legal dispute (Oct '09) Dec '14 cfb 26
More from around the web