Feds halt payments to state DOT

The Federal Highway Administration has suspended all reimbursements to the New Mexico Department of Transportation amid a dispute over the way the state submits bills. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Adrian

Santa Fe, NM

#146 May 8, 2009
The donkey who switched the DOT to the SHARE systems is our wonderful gov Bill Richardson.
Master Debater wrote:
Who's the donkey that decided to switch the DOT to the SHARE system after they were told it did not comply with federal requirements?
tiny

Albuquerque, NM

#147 May 8, 2009
What a joke this Gov is.He needs his fat A S S thrown in jail.
tiny

Albuquerque, NM

#148 May 8, 2009
Yea Gary Barres And little girl Leroy all a bunch of losers.The all are licking A SS with the gov and lt gov so they can save thier little high paying jobs.Where are you leroy heard your running for senetor i hope you get your **** kicked,cuz you are nothing but a greedy little B I T CH!!!!!!!!!!
Elijah

Albuquerque, NM

#149 May 8, 2009
I heard last night on Channel 4 news, that Mayor Chavez didnt want to waste 1.3 million in "FREE" Tarp money to Albuquerque, so wants for rapid transit. Then a city counselor who opposed more speed rail said he didnt want to waste the free money either but put it into more buses etc.

In essence, whether DOT, city or county, when the elected officials all see Federal Tax dollars as "free" money, we are in big trouble. What they fail to consider is that NM has been 49th and now 48th in nation in wages, for over 40 years. State and Federal Taxes hit our low and middle income cits much harder than other States, proportionately. Anyone elected to office, such as Richardson and those at the local level, who think or manage like this is free money, or who do not spend toward that which helps the majority of the people rather than one area of town, or one area of the State (rail runner), are dooming us to a future of deficits and outrageous interest rates and taxes, when inflation and payback comes.
Has any politico suggested rejecting any of the money from TArp and budget, due to future costs and matching local funds that will be required?

WE occasionally change our Governor to a conservative, but seldom the Mayor. For over 40 years we havent changed the majority party in the Legislature and some city councils. Its time for a total majority party change in NM, with fiscal conservative and qualification as the catch phrases. Liberals should stop fearing what they wont get if they break with party loyalty, and start fearing what opportunities wont be available to thier children, or even themselves in old age, if
they keep electing patronizing,ego maniac's who see everything through the prizm of their own resume.

If it seems to good to be true it probably is pushed down the average citizens throat, means if the politicains believe their own propaganda, the Tarp money is not FREE to anyone and more rapid tranit or environmental programs like rail runner, are just too good to be true or wise. Like Cap and Trade, follow the money!
Underblog

Albuquerque, NM

#150 Dec 21, 2010
DOTer wrote:
What is more scary about the Railrunner cost is not just the cost of acquisition and construction but the continued cost of operating it. The ticket prices do not even begin to cover the operating costs. There would be an uproar from taxpayers if they knew how much it was subsidized each time a passenger stepped on board.
<quoted text>
And how much do the users pay for roadways, especially rural ones? Do those facilities pay their way?

“Eat me. I'm a Danish.”

Since: Dec 10

Las Cruces, New Mexico

#151 Dec 21, 2010
Underblog wrote:
<quoted text>
And how much do the users pay for roadways, especially rural ones? Do those facilities pay their way?
Absolutely. You cant haul beef, grain or milk over the Rail Runner and you CAN do that on a rural road. So the comparison is apples to oranges. And rural roads are the ONLY lifeline in most of New Mexico. To get from Alb. to Santa Fe there are many options for commuting, all of which cost the state very little (Rail Runner not included).

No public transportation is a profit maker, and roads are expensive. But not nearly as expensive as a railway. And that railway was built when the price of steel and diesel was at the highest point in history. Adn you could operate and maintain several dozen busses going to MANY New Mexico locations for the cost of one locomotive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug '14 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug '14 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3
•••

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••