Feds halt payments to state DOT

Feds halt payments to state DOT

There are 146 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Apr 15, 2009, titled Feds halt payments to state DOT. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

The Federal Highway Administration has suspended all reimbursements to the New Mexico Department of Transportation amid a dispute over the way the state submits bills.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

DOTer

Albuquerque, NM

#123 Apr 19, 2009
Millions and Millions and Millions and....
Rail Run Run Runner wrote:
Has anyone figured out how much the Railrunner cost?? That's another cost that has been kept from the public.
Cranky

Los Alamos, NM

#124 Apr 19, 2009
DOTer:

Take the cost of the Railrunner and add it to the cost of the Spaceport. Interesting how the total would cover the State's current deficit and then some.
DOTer

Albuquerque, NM

#125 Apr 19, 2009
What is more scary about the Railrunner cost is not just the cost of acquisition and construction but the continued cost of operating it. The ticket prices do not even begin to cover the operating costs. There would be an uproar from taxpayers if they knew how much it was subsidized each time a passenger stepped on board.
Cranky wrote:
DOTer:
Take the cost of the Railrunner and add it to the cost of the Spaceport. Interesting how the total would cover the State's current deficit and then some.
Well

Santa Fe, NM

#126 Apr 19, 2009
Cranky wrote:
DOTer:
the Railrunner is here and it has utility. It could have more value with better connections and parking.

The Spaceport could be stopped or at least delayed. It has no utility and the only value to it will be the contracts to those pouring the concrete for the runway and building the roads.
DOTer

Albuquerque, NM

#127 Apr 19, 2009
Don't get me wrong-- I think the Railrunner is a good thing. I just don't think everyone has been forthcoming about the real costs.
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
the Railrunner is here and it has utility. It could have more value with better connections and parking.
The Spaceport could be stopped or at least delayed. It has no utility and the only value to it will be the contracts to those pouring the concrete for the runway and building the roads.
Curious

Albuquerque, NM

#128 Apr 19, 2009
Has there been any progress in resuming the federal funding that was cut off last week? The NMDOT response seemed to indicate that it was no big deal, but a billing error. If so, it should be cleared up soon. Maybe it has been cleared up already. Am I right about this?
Distressed NMDOT Worker

Albuquerque, NM

#130 Apr 20, 2009
Hey fellow NMDOTers! Thanks for coming here and speaking up! Thanks for talking to the newspapers! I am glad you have the courage to blow the whistle. The state needs to know about the political crooks running NMDOT. Like you say, it is now awful to work here.
Here

Santa Fe, NM

#131 Apr 20, 2009
Distressed NMDOT Worker wrote:
Hey fellow NMDOTers! Thanks for coming here and speaking up! Thanks for talking to the newspapers! I am glad you have the courage to blow the whistle. The state needs to know about the political crooks running NMDOT. Like you say, it is now awful to work here.
is a hint: posting something on Topix is not the same as talking to the newspaper or whistleblowing. If you have real information that need to get out, you'll have to take it elsewhere.
Muslim

Albuquerque, NM

#133 Apr 20, 2009
I think we all know at dot who the people are that are the crooks,the one that moves to postion with out doing the time.I have worked here ten years and somebody gets the jobs in brass alley,what a joke we all knoww who they are. I wonder how they move up so fast.
Tax man

Santa Fe, NM

#135 Apr 25, 2009
It is called PAY TO PLAY:.
jet

AOL

#136 Apr 26, 2009
When will the state every rid itself of the FOB Friends Of Bill or the FFOB's you can guess what the other F stands for. It is so sad that Bill has appointed so many unqualified peolpe that are worthless in state government. They come to work and just sit on their fat **** and expect to get paided. Bill, they do not contribute but you knew that. You don't care its not your money anyway right.

Bill if you read this forum you know you are going to get caught very soon. Maybe you can share cell with Many A.
DevilDog

Albuquerque, NM

#137 Apr 30, 2009
NMDOT has become the joke of NM state govt. When you have people like Ben Lujan, Roman Maes, Johnny Cope, Gary Jiron, Leroy Garcia, Rebecca Montoya, and our BS Governor, what do you expect? Corruptness, incompetence, greed, and outright disregard for public service! There is no hope for this administration, NONE! We have got to clean house on all of these maggots and start over!
Claire

Santa Fe, NM

#138 May 2, 2009
Let's not forget that Estevan Gonzales has been added to this group. An electrical engineer, with no license and probably no engineering experience. Gary took the position for the Assistant State Bridge Engineer and gave it to Estevan. Again, Gary and Bill have no shame....Considering the condition of the bridges in the nation and our state, Gary should be ashamed of himself for the gross misuse of his position to give away a crucial position that could have been better utilized by a qualified, licensed, experienced bridge engineer.
DevilDog wrote:
NMDOT has become the joke of NM state govt. When you have people like Ben Lujan, Roman Maes, Johnny Cope, Gary Jiron, Leroy Garcia, Rebecca Montoya, and our BS Governor, what do you expect? Corruptness, incompetence, greed, and outright disregard for public service! There is no hope for this administration, NONE! We have got to clean house on all of these maggots and start over!
David M

Meadville, PA

#139 May 4, 2009
Claire,

This is New Mexico State Government - It doesn't matter what you know or what degree you have (if at all), the only thing that matters is who's rearend you kiss. That's what gets you the big bucks in New Mexico.
Elijah

Albuquerque, NM

#140 May 4, 2009
Dan Baker wrote:
...so how do we FIX this mess?
Should we pass some laws requiring some level of actual experience and related degree/certification at dept head level? Perhaps get rid of appointed positions from Gov. Office?
BEST SUGGESTION EVER MADE ON THIS SITE. IT WAS NOT ONLY THE DOT THAT USED TO BE A PROFESSIONAL AND ADVANCED TYPE OF ORGANIZATION. THE 70'S AND 80'S SHOWED NM AS "TRYING TO AVOID THE MISTAKES OF THE BIG STATES AND CITIES", CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND LEGAL EDUCATION IN LAW AND SYSTEMS FOR THOSE WHO WOULD WORK THEIR WAY UP. DEMS IN aLBUQUQERQUE AND SANTE FE HAVE FIGURED OUT NUMEROUS METHODS OF GETTING AROUND THE HARD WON PERSONNEL ORDINANCES, LEGAL CONSTRICTIONS AND QUALIFIED ADVICE OF THOSE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE. HOW? LOOK AT RICHARDSON AND CHAVEZ AND THE NUMBER OF PERMANENT POSTIONS FOR PUBLIC SERVICE THAT GET HOURS CUT, OR SERVICES CUT, SO THAT MORE AND MORE POLITICAL CRONIES AND NO NOTHINGS, CAN BE APPOINTED AND MAKE THRIPLE THE SALARIES OF A BLOKE WHO WORKED HIS/HER WAY UP.

I HOPE ONE ITEM THE FEDS UNCOVER IS THE AMOUNT OF TOTAL ADVERTISING AND MOVIE MONEY THAT HAS BEEN SPENT OVER THE LAST 6 YEARS, FOR ADVERTISING RICHARDSON FOR PRESIDENT AND NOW DENISH IS ADVERTISING HER NAME WITH TRANSPORTATION FUNDS. DWI HAS NEVER HAD SO MANY "EXPERTS" LIKE RICHARDSON AND DENISH, TELLING THE DRUNKS "YOU DRINK, YOU DRIVE, YOU LOSE". YET THE LEGISLATURE EVERY YEAR CRIES PAUPER WHEN NEW ATTORNEYS ARE REQUESTED ALL OVER THE STATE TO PROSECUTE AND KEEP DRUNKS FROM "FALLING BETWEEN THE CRACKS".

FOLLOWING THE MONEY HAS BEEN RELATIVELY EASY FOR CONCERNED CITIZENS THE LAST 6 YEARS, ITS FOLLOWING THE MANIPULATION AND CORRUPTION LINES THAT HAS BEEN MADE REALLY HARD.
DevilDog

Albuquerque, NM

#141 May 6, 2009
Denish already has plans to keep the same riff-raff at DOT IF she becomes Gov. When will New Mexicans wake-up and elect people that are in it for public service instead of themselves and their egos?
Elijah

Albuquerque, NM

#142 May 6, 2009
DevilDog wrote:
Denish already has plans to keep the same riff-raff at DOT IF she becomes Gov. When will New Mexicans wake-up and elect people that are in it for public service instead of themselves and their egos?
Good question. Of course I cringe everytime I now here a political appointee saying they are Public Sevice. Lets get it straight. Lifers and Retirees are Public Service (remember when we were servants but got the name change instead of a raise)Political appointees have often never worked in or for government, and go in with no experience or knowledge of the laws and rules that have hamstrung the agencies, or the rise and fall of qualifications, professionalism etc. Part of the problem is that public employees are rather reticent to speak out and tell it like it is. No blog or newsletter to the public, informs from our point of view, and regardless of your experience and education, people tend to not hear what the verbal ones do say. Lets get is straight, a elected or appointed official is exempt from most of the rules and regs and even liability that determines if a public employee keeps his job. Second, a politician or appointee may be in the job, but they have little knowledge or management skills required to "listen" to either constitutents or employees. They dont even seem to have the same mind set that their job is to provide services but use the taxpayers (also govt workers) taxes sparingly. The ACLU is running half the prisons in the State, even though after the riots millions on millions were paid out to Manny and the lawyers to train, improve and compensate. Even the new prisons werent exempt. Often the State just caves, even when the best of the best has been done. It only gets worse, but the post above had a good suggestion. A law should be proposed by a legislator that limits the qualifications and number of hacks that can be put over experienced department personnel, and limit the number of new departments and titles that can be paid and given out. Even the boards and commissions are so filled with unqualified appointees that there is very little balance or objectivity even possible in the courts or on the boards that manage funds etc. Know any legislators who will listen?
DOT observer

Albuquerque, NM

#143 May 7, 2009
DevilDog wrote:
Yes, the word it that Gary Giron and Lawrence Barreras are already sucking up to Diane and raising money for her. Also, don't forget that she went to school with Johnny Cope, the slippery political chairman of the transportation commission. Nothing is going to change till these crooks are indicted and/or thrown out of the NMDOT. Meanwhile the DOT workers and the taxpayers are going to suffer with suspended federal funding and substandard transportation. The politicians and their cronies will continue to flourish with their illegal billboards and other political favors being handed out-- "The public be damned!"
Enough Already

Albuquerque, NM

#144 May 7, 2009
We all need to get the vote out and send a strong message to Denish just because she is in office now does not mean she is the only one fit to be Governor. DOT seems to be the only pig holding large enough for all the croonies and continues to grow. Too bad it is not a traded company I would buy stock since it is growing at such a rapid rate.
TRH

Santa Fe, NM

#145 May 7, 2009
Vote Republican, because if Denish wins all of these Pigs get recycled. She just moves them around to other Departments to continue their wrath and corruption. I am a Democrat, but have had my fill of my party's antics in Santa Fe. Take a good look at Greg Zennetti. He could be the next Gary Johnson and clean up this disgusting mess. Say no to Denish and 4 more years of the same.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Apr 17 Roberto Aragon 2,217
News Muslim group wants probe into New Mexico Quran ... Mar '17 kennedy_christian 1
News Report: ICE arrests five in Albuquerque Feb '17 lambert 12
News In deep hole, a chance for economic improvement Jan '17 rmeghan34 1
News Judge refuses to split charges in sex solicitat... (Sep '16) Sep '16 The Truth 1
News Home sweet home school (Dec '08) Sep '16 Mr Coach 8
News New jury system aims to ease burden of duty (Sep '09) Sep '16 Jeanne Scripps 5
More from around the web