Feds halt payments to state DOT

Feds halt payments to state DOT

There are 146 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Apr 15, 2009, titled Feds halt payments to state DOT. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

The Federal Highway Administration has suspended all reimbursements to the New Mexico Department of Transportation amid a dispute over the way the state submits bills.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Now SHARE is a problem

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Apr 16, 2009
Dan Baker wrote:
...so how do we FIX this mess?
Should we pass some laws requiring some level of actual experience and related degree/certification at dept head level? Perhaps get rid of appointed positions from Gov. Office?
The only problem is that the Governor would have to sign off on the Law. And any law that hurts Big Bad Bill or his cronies, he's not about to put the pen to one of those laws.

Sad day for those employees who have part of their salary paid for by the Feds. Look out Pink slips are being generated as we speak.
SFX - Native SFean

United States

#22 Apr 16, 2009
Does $Bill have a brother-in-law in the technology business??
SFX - Native SFean

United States

#23 Apr 16, 2009
I love the term $(Dollar)Bill.....
John

Helston, UK

#24 Apr 16, 2009
Why is it that bankers can be prosecuted for losing money but politicians are safe? I wonder which is worse.
to little to late

Quartzsite, AZ

#25 Apr 16, 2009
joebloe wrote:
The State further compounds the problem by paying IT staff so poorly that most who take the jobs are incompetent.
Yes IT staff is poorly paid, however we as IT professionals warned the project managers and fought for proper reporting. The individuals in charge, who were either appointed by the Gov, or by Mr Soto who was in charge of DOIT did not care. They told everyone they were going, and we had to deal with it. Maybe a little more research, as an ex-DOT IT professional I personally spent countless, and usless hours, arguing with DOIT and GSD/ISD about the needs of DOT and reporting. It went in one ear and out the other. I was not the only one who did this.. No one cared and so many of us left! The DOT in general has been doing shady deals throughout this whole administration, start looking at the purchase of the Gov's plane that violated procurement code!
NMDOT

Albuquerque, NM

#26 Apr 16, 2009
To clarify, Rhonda Faught did ask that NMDOT not be switched over to SHARE due to federal billing requirements, but Old Bill told her to play ball in his field or she was off the team. SHARE was and is and will continue to be nothing but a pice of S^#$ system with numerous band-aids. our old in house financial system had minimal glitches. After all the millions of dollars spent to implement the SHARE system we still employee consultants to fix the messes that can never be fixed. And I'm sure that all consultants don't work for cheap. There are at least 10 consultants running around the hallways here at NMDOT. They don't even know how to fix the problems. I say they get rid of some of these worthless employees like SU Mahesh (Public Relations) who organizes blood drives, and the Ombudsmen position which takes employee of the month nominations and has been known to employee the brightest crayons in the box, Jose Morfin, and Patricia Romero. Easiest jobs in the state. Each of those positions makes well over $80,000. They can also cut Gary Jiron's pay which he has been credited to running the Dept. into the ground.
5219tony

Albuquerque, NM

#27 Apr 16, 2009
As a former highway and heavy construction inspector Your issue is the human factor.I see plenty of construction,but very few,if any,inspectors verifying,testing,or even witnessing the operation.Or after the face,cores and random product sampling.
I have Federal certifications- National Institute of Engineering Technologies and American Concrete Institute that require many years of field experience and material testing.
The Highway,Bridge,and other Public funded projects now in the works.What is needed is an inspector who can interpret and carry out these specifications,to assure and attest physically the workmanship was complient to these specs.,not a computer calculating materials used over time spent.Validate the money was spent as required.
Agent

Albuquerque, NM

#28 Apr 16, 2009
joebloe wrote:
The SHARE system which really is PeopleSoft was incorrectly configured by Maximus the contractor who set it up. Many horrible decisions were made in the initial set up of SHARE. The State further compounds the problem by paying IT staff so poorly that most who take the jobs are incompetent. Correcting the Initial bad decisions and incompetent administration has and will continue to cost the State millions.
What are you talking about? The IT staff make more than the engineers, and IT staff don't even need college degrees! Maybe that's why they're incomepent, because there is no educational requirements imposed on those positions.
John Martinez

Dallas, TX

#29 Apr 16, 2009
Now SHARE is a problem wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad day for those employees who have part of their salary paid for by the Feds. Look out Pink slips are being generated as we speak.
I doubt they will get pink slips. The SHARE system probably can't generate those either.
John Martinez

Dallas, TX

#30 Apr 16, 2009
SHARE — the shorthand name given to the department's Statewide Human Resource, Accounting, and Management Reporting System
Who came up with the acronym S*H*A*R*E? According to the name, it seems more appropriate to call it S*H*A*M*E!
Arnold

Albuquerque, NM

#31 Apr 16, 2009
Why blame the SHARE. This is a cover up for the shell game as it is known at the DOT. Transplanting funds from programs or projects to political objectives.
Now SHARE is a problem

Albuquerque, NM

#32 Apr 16, 2009
Agent wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? The IT staff make more than the engineers, and IT staff don't even need college degrees! Maybe that's why they're incomepent, because there is no educational requirements imposed on those positions.
There's one guy over in the IT at the NMDOT who owes his J O B to the fact his Daddy was a former Deputy Secretary. He makes a pretty good salarie I've heard.
Nobody

Albuquerque, NM

#33 Apr 16, 2009
All of this SHARE, IT Consolidation, DOIT is all a bunch of money making schemes for Bully Bill Richardson. ANother thing, is why are the DOT IT folks getting blamed and getting called incompetent when IT wasn't even involved with implementing SHARE. It was private consultants that gave state govt. 2 months of tech support then bailed. So SHARE was turned over to the financial staff not IT. In other words, we made our money lets run before the S*** hits the fan. Whatever the case is, if Bill Richardson thought of it, IT CAN'T FAIL WHATEVER THE COST. At least, he won't admit it.
L Johnson

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Apr 16, 2009
I worked for NMDOT and a local highway contractor for over twenty years in the technical computer field and have first hand knowledge of problems that are directly related to this issue. Local NMDOT officals are corrupt and incompetent however, the incompetent tag is used to cover up the corruption. A little investigative reporting and auditing can expose these officals. The contractor is also manipulating the "system" to benifit their intrests/payments. I have no confidentiality agreement with either NMDOT or former contractor and would cooperate with any investigation.
Cynic

Florence, AL

#35 Apr 16, 2009
joebloe wrote:
The SHARE system which really is PeopleSoft was incorrectly configured by Maximus the contractor who set it up. Many horrible decisions were made in the initial set up of SHARE. The State further compounds the problem by paying IT staff so poorly that most who take the jobs are incompetent. Correcting the Initial bad decisions and incompetent administration has and will continue to cost the State millions.
With respect to the IT issue, it's not just a state problem. No one being paid $12/hr is going to stick out their neck for you, or take any initiative. Not when they can make better money as a carpenter's helper. Oh, I forgot, there's no skill involved in the IT industry, right?
L Johnson

Albuquerque, NM

#36 Apr 16, 2009
The average implementation cost of SHARE system is between 6 and 8 times what the state paid for the original purchase contract.

I believe that the state will exceed that benchmark and actually accelerate the operating cost of maintenance and upgrades into the future with no value gain to the actual functions of the system.

This continued denial is going to cost every tax payer in New Mexico dearly.
Jack Garish

Albuquerque, NM

#37 Apr 16, 2009
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
SHARE was supplied as a one of Richardson's first sweetheart deals with his cronies. I was widely know in the HR department that this system was rife with errors and was a disaster waiting to happen.
It's still happening.
Also, I wonder why they would be obstructing investigations into DOT spending?
What's Big and White and Sleeps 6 ???
A NMDOT truck.
Yeah but why blame the worker bees. We all know its the big boys.
Jack Garish

Albuquerque, NM

#38 Apr 16, 2009
SFX - Native SFean wrote:
I love the term $(Dollar)Bill.....
IMPEACH !
Courious

Albuquerque, NM

#39 Apr 16, 2009
No ones mentioned the financial mangers of the system shouldnt they be able to resolve issues with SHARE since they have been working with it?
Generous

Albuquerque, NM

#40 Apr 16, 2009
With a freeze on hiring in every state agency, the Highway Department will have the pleasure of Leroy Garcia back at the department. Welcome back Leroy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Aug 15 Char 42
News Wind energy sweeps plains; course correction in... (Jan '09) Jul 28 bpayne37 21
News Former astronaut scoffs at global warming (Feb '09) Jul '16 Into The Night 2,406
News Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) Jun '16 Goldman Sachs 17
News Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) Jun '16 MarieCornwall 13
News 'Double dippers' fought legislation (May '09) Apr '16 concerned citizen 56
News Immigrant children to arrive at Holloman on Sunday (Jan '16) Feb '16 Sick of race card 52
More from around the web