Golden retriever's vanishing act

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

Photo: Susan Hadley cradles Shilo a few days after her returned home after being missing in the Pecos wilderness for three weeks.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
steve spraitz

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Judged:

pure luck.

i had one stolen from under me.no leash

he was used for Pit Bull 'BAIT' years ago
littlepup

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Welcome home!
Brendalyn

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

I celebrate Shilo's homecoming and the love the two of you share, Susan! Thanks for the reminder that a leash is always a good idea.
Rio Arriban

Chimayo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Great story - Glad things turned out the way they did...
Barb

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Susan, I'm so glad Shilo is back home with you. And great job, Shilo! Thank you to all the angels watching over everyone to bring him back home safely.
Richard Atkinson

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Judged:

At the Public Lands Information Center, I constantly urge loving dog-owners like Susan to keep their beautiful animals on a leash in the wilderness. No matter how well voice-trained a dog is in town, owners have no opportunities to train their loved ones around bears, cougars, cattle, even carrion. When confronted by something totally new and startling in the woods, these dogs are naked as babies to the situation and have, functionally, no training at all.

I am so glad Shilo was found, Susan. Everybody, for your dog's sake, keep 'em on a leash.
Jennifer Marshall

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

This is a beautiful story. Truly amazing dog and owner. The fact that this dog survived with mountain lions in the area and had never hunted himself is astounding. We cannot know all of the circumstanstances that lead up to the reunion but I wanted to thank the journalist and the New Mexican for reporting this. This is great news.
holly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

What a wonderful article about your heart rending and harrowing experience. Paula kept me informed and I thought about you so often during your ordeal. As the owner of several Goldens over the years I could relate even more knowing how gentle and innocent their spirits tend to be. I'm so happy for you both!
Rocky Casillas

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

What a great story to read in such times like this. We love our dogs and wish more people could discover that special bond with their pets. Congrats to that couple for checking out the situation, to the owner, volunteers, and to her doggie. If only dogs could speak!
Dave

Missoula, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Judged:

Incredible story! I'd love to know the details of the 3 weeks -- Penny for your thoughts Shilo?
irene garden

Placitas, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

yes, miracles happen. little, big, gust of the Divine Presence in ALL.
I am happy for both of you to be re united.
Helen

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

i'm not a genius..but it sounds like he back tracked to that dead animal carcass. that would have been the first place to back track to..and you should always have your pet on a leash in the wilderness. richard makes an excellent point. but in any case, i am glad he is home.

Since: Jun 10

Santa Fe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Wonderful news. Excellent thinking on Kay Rice's part to tell Shilo to sit, stay. Richard is 100% right about having your dog on a leash.
Dawn

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Hooray for Shilo! Susan, I'm so glad he's home, and that you know now that miracles do happen. I believe in the synchronicity of the universe, and in grace. Shilo's safe return is validation enough. I know you're holding him close, now, and that you're feeling so much gratitude. I, too, appreciate the humans who supported you and worked so hard to find Shilo. I need to hear good news about people like this to counter the despair I often feel about humankind. All of you wonderful people who supported Susan, who didn't dismiss or belittle her trauma because it was over a pet, I salute you, and I feel there is hope, yet, for the rest of us to become better people. And Susan - you are a great dog owner; you are always so careful and protective of Shilo. The fact that he was still in good shape after 3 weeks makes me think it's because you gave him such a good, loving, healthy life. Bravo to both of you. And Adobe sends his love and says he's ready to walk with Shilo whenever he wants.
Bev Dana

Stone Mountain, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2010

What a wonderful dog story.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Search the The Santa Fe New Mexican Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Fri Ken 2,198
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Thu MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun 30 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun 19 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Apr '14 Lynne Loss 8
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3
•••

Santa Fe Conditions

(updated 3 min ago)

Weather
Sporadic Clouds 84°F
Hi: 86°F
Lo: 61°F
Feels like: 81°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »