Former astronaut scoffs at global warming

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

Harrison "Jack" Schmitt, one of the last men to walk on the moon and a former U.S. senator from New Mexico, doesn't buy the idea that humans are causing global warming.
Comments
2,341 - 2,360 of 2,360 Comments Last updated May 3, 2011
First Prev
of 118
Next Last
litesong

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Judged:

Zorkon 756 wrote:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/re leases/2010/06/100625185428.ht m
Please see above re: climate change scientists that doubt global warming.
Quotes from the paper:

Expertise was evaluated by the number of papers on climate research written by each individual, with a minimum of 20 required to be included in the analysis. Climate researchers who are convinced of human-caused climate change had on average about twice as many publications as the unconvinced, said Anderegg, a doctoral candidate in biology.......
==========
Papers by climate researchers convinced of human effects were cited approximately 64 percent more often than papers by the unconvinced..........
==========
The top 100
...... you find 97 percent of those top 100 surveyed scientists explicitly agreeing with or endorsing the IPCC's assessment," he said. That result has been borne out by several other published studies that used different methodology, as well as some that are due out later this summer, he said.
==========
"When you stop to consider whether some sort of 'group think' really drives these patterns and could it really exist in science in general, the idea is really pretty laughable," he said. "All of the incentives in science are exactly the opposite.
"If you were a young researcher and had the data to overturn any of the mainstream paradigms, or what the IPCC has done, you would become absolutely famous," he said. "Everyone wants to be the next Darwin, everyone wants to be the next Einstein."

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

It's winter and there's snow. There is no global warming in the Northern hemisphere.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
It's winter and there's snow.
FYI, it's still autumn or fall if you prefer.
The first day of winter 2010, is Dec 21st.
Brian_G wrote:
There is no global warming in the Northern hemisphere.
If there is, it's taken an early pre winter vacation.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Late fall, then. It's December, soon the Sun will be at it's most distant point, angled closest toward the South pole.
The winter solstice occurs exactly when the Earth's axial tilt is farthest away from the sun at its maximum of 22 1/2 26'. Though the winter solstice lasts only an instant in time, the term is also colloquially used as midwinter or contrastingly the first day of winter to refer to the day on which it occurs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice

Winter's been around forever, climate change is all we ever get. What is there about climate that anyone thinks it can be mitigated or influenced? Greed, they'd do anything to make a buck, why shouldn't the natural world be corrupt? Faith and ignorance, more likely.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Brian_G wrote:
Winter's been around forever, climate change is all we ever get.
Seasons are climate?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

Seasons are part of climate, part of the average. There is global climate and local climate, too. As you point out, there is a great deal of variability over space, our climates are very different. Would an average temperature mean anything if it confirmed a trend?

But climate is not seasons. Climate is the South Pole, now exposed to six months of constant daylight and the North Pole's six month's of night. Climate is the system that sends heat from the Equator to the poles.
4my27gryl

Van Nuys, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Mr. Van Dresser,

You fail to understand, Wikipedia is not a valid source. Further, your argument has no weight. Period.
The eath is a closed system. We have limited Imperical data for weather.
The sky is not falling...
4my27gryl

Van Nuys, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
" 'Consensus,' as many have said, merely represents the absence of definitive science. You know as well as I, the 'global warming scare' is being used as a political tool to increase government control over American lives, incomes and decision making. It has no place in the Society's activities."
I work with many respected scientists who agree. Global warming is nothing but a great marketing tool and another way to keep people afraid.
Certainly this does not give us the latitude to continue to harm our planet but people need to wake up to the fact there are forces at work beyond our control which are historical and cyclical. NM was once under water and will return that way except not soon enough to wash out the political, societal and human waste woes the state has.
Sorry hippies. Patchouli, pot and sage stink up the environment worse. Take a bath with soap would be a good start.
HERE-READ THIS, NOT THAT...logic please prevail.
litesong

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2010

Judged:

brian_g wrote:
It's winter and there's snow. There is no global warming in the Northern hemisphere.
==========
Earthling-1 wrote:
There is no global warming in the Northern hemisphere.
If there is, it's taken an early pre winter vacation.
==========
litesong wrote:
brian_g's words fit well with his math errors of 1 million, 1000 & 3000 times & his sub-5th grade comprehension of his hi skule deegreee.
Deniers don't look where science evidence would destroy their carefully planned politicking.
Despite the solar TSI being at a 100 record low for 3+years & below normal for years before that, arctic sea ice has lagged considerably behind the earliest accurate sea ice area measurements. Strong indications are that the lagging area measurements also include ever thinning thicknesses of sea ice.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGE...

“Question everything.”

Since: Jan 07

Lookingglass Land

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2010

Brian_G wrote:
Late fall, then. It's December, soon the Sun will be at it's most distant point, angled closest toward the South pole.
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice
Winter's been around forever, climate change is all we ever get. What is there about climate that anyone thinks it can be mitigated or influenced? Greed, they'd do anything to make a buck, why shouldn't the natural world be corrupt? Faith and ignorance, more likely.
The real issue is global poisoning.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Abbey Yoyo wrote:
The real issue is global poisoning.
With almost 7 billion people on this planet, what else do you expect?
Multi millions of them want the latest, all singing, all dancing electronic gadgets and hundreds of other commodities that have become available over the decades.
Packaging has gone mad, we live in a crazy world that's being poisoned by greed, I'm sure you're used to it.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Renaissance or Serfdom wrote:
The effects of global warming are similar to that of smoking cigarettes.
Smoking cigarettes reduces your life by as much as 50%. I'm currently 24 so if I had never smoked, I'd be 48 now.
ROFLMAO, that means I'd be 140.
Cousin Jethro

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Renaissance or Serfdom wrote:
The effects of global warming are similar to that of smoking cigarettes.
Smoking cigarettes reduces your life by as much as 50%. I'm currently 24 so if I had never smoked, I'd be 48 now.
Must be the second-hand smoke...in re the thread topic, as in a democracy where there's freedom of speech, I guess it's okay for a scientifically inclined person and non-astronaut, to scoff at a former astronaut's opinion. And, bg, winter does not signify the end of global warming, but of autumn...
Pokay

Willoughby, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>With almost 7 billion people on this planet, what else do you expect?
Multi millions of them want the latest, all singing, all dancing electronic gadgets and hundreds of other commodities that have become available over the decades.
Packaging has gone mad, we live in a crazy world that's being poisoned by greed, I'm sure you're used to it.
It's a miracle, you admit we live in a "crazy world that's being poisoned by greed", and it would require a miracle as well for you to lay claim to the idea that 7 billion people are not affecting the climate as well...and of course with you I have to add ....."in a significant way".

And it's time you people learned (Brian especially) that snow comes by the same mechanism as rain does.......water has to evaporate first before it precipitates as rain OR snow. Looks like you guys forgot that basic concept. A warmer earth will force more water to evaporate therefore we might see heavier rains AND heavier snows.....and with greater frequency.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

We have an individual right to emit CO2. In the Spring and Summer, life sucks carbon from the air to grow and survive, you can grow what you want on your land, and sell it, burn it or eat it, as you wish. Government is the problem, not the solution to climate change.

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Pokay wrote:
And it's time you people learned (Brian especially) that snow comes by the same mechanism as rain does.......water has to evaporate first before it precipitates as rain OR snow.
That's right, the IPCC tells us that for a future warmer climate globally averaged mean water vapour, evaporation and precipitation are projected to increase.

http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/...

Thank you for bringing up my favorite hobby horse.
Pokay wrote:
Looks like you guys forgot that basic concept. A warmer earth will force more water to evaporate therefore we might see heavier rains AND heavier snows.....and with greater frequency.
Which is why you guys scream, "Drought drought drought drought drought!" all the time. It's one of the little hypocrisies your side engages in on a daily basis. Drought is a scarier scenario than floods which is why in the style of Dr. Stephen Schneider you guys always bring it up.
tired of denial

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2011

Brian_G wrote:
We have an individual right to emit CO2. In the Spring and Summer, life sucks carbon from the air to grow and survive, you can grow what you want on your land, and sell it, burn it or eat it, as you wish. Government is the problem, not the solution to climate change.
Sounds like you emit more methane than CO2.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2011

tired of denial wrote:
Sounds like you emit more methane than CO2.
Looks like you can't emit an opposition argument. People have the right to emit methane, too. That right is best practiced in private.

When you speak, you emit carbon dioxide, when you yell or sing, you emit more. You have a constitutional right to emit greenhouse gas.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2011

Brian_G wrote:
Looks like you can't emit an opposition argument. People have the right to emit methane, too. That right is best practiced in private.
"Where e'er thou be,
let thy wind blow free.
In church or chapel,
let it rattle!"

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 118
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug 13 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug 8 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3

Search the The Santa Fe New Mexican Forum:

Santa Fe Conditions

(updated 10 min ago)

Weather
Cloudy 71°F
Hi: 75°F
Lo: 49°F
Feels like: 71°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »