Man charged in road-rage shooting

Man charged in road-rage shooting

There are 119 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Mar 1, 2009, titled Man charged in road-rage shooting. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Held at gunpoint after bullet strike showers his infant son with glass, second driver spits in suspect's face Doug Mattson The New Mexican Santa Fe police say it's a very bad idea to spit on someone pointing a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Homes

Rio Rancho, NM

#93 Mar 2, 2009
sabine 87501 wrote:
<quoted text>You can tell this based on...? Their names? Their behaviour?
Behaviour. like your spelling you capital high graduate, you!
Homes

Rio Rancho, NM

#94 Mar 2, 2009
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>They were both at fault for participating in the road rage up to the point that the weapon was drawn. That is a whole new level of threat and violence. This is the sick rationale that is always used to blame the victim. Blame the **** that pulled the gun, that is the felony going on here. Get a sense of victim rights and proportionality and stop elevating the perp to victim or otherwise unnecessarily glorify his role as the perp, the boy done fu...ed up! So he's really a nice guy huh? Nice guys don't blow caps in the direction of a child or innocent bystander. Add the perp's kids to the long list of victims in these cases. Their households are unfortunately destabilized with the fallout from this calamity as well.
Our freedom to drive down the road without fear of these nuts is also a victim of this insanity.
Our freedoms have have already been compromised by making this not only a sanctuary city, but a sanctuary country for Mexico's biggest export....crime and gangs. You will see and for those of you that argue that "everyone deserves a better life", your own life will be lessened by your GREEDY need to fulfill some sort of attitude that puts us all at risk to this c rap.

Did you read today that Robert Gates, appointed by Obama, says that Mexico is our single biggest threat? It's a threat to every American. First it will be along the border states (California's prison population is over 40% illegal gang and or drug runners and same for Phoenix). This country is going to go broke incarcerating these f uuks, enforcing the border and/or providing free education and medical care to them. We have got to beeeee the DUMBEST country on earth for allowing another country's weak, uneducated criminals to take us down to their level.
Yup

Albuquerque, NM

#95 Mar 2, 2009
Homes wrote:
<quoted text>
Our freedoms have have already been compromised by making this not only a sanctuary city, but a sanctuary country for Mexico's biggest export....crime and gangs. You will see and for those of you that argue that "everyone deserves a better life", your own life will be lessened by your GREEDY need to fulfill some sort of attitude that puts us all at risk to this c rap.
Did you read today that Robert Gates, appointed by Obama, says that Mexico is our single biggest threat? It's a threat to every American. First it will be along the border states (California's prison population is over 40% illegal gang and or drug runners and same for Phoenix). This country is going to go broke incarcerating these f uuks, enforcing the border and/or providing free education and medical care to them. We have got to beeeee the DUMBEST country on earth for allowing another country's weak, uneducated criminals to take us down to their level.
I AGREE! What are our troops doing in Iraq? They should be guarding our own borders from this undeniable threat to our country!!!!

Ooops, sorry, off subject, me bad
Ivan Sanchez

AOL

#96 Mar 2, 2009
Chorus wrote:
Catholic Mass, Wal*Mart and Violence: the Holy Trinity of our times.
Do you mind translating that?
Why

Albuquerque, NM

#97 Mar 2, 2009
Why can our soldiers always sit in other countries and guard THEIR borders when our borders are falling doiwn in huge chunks and we are all in danger?
rey

Avon, CO

#98 Mar 2, 2009
Homes wrote:
<quoted text>
What did you just say? Are you telling me to get an education? If so, got one....masters. And you?
Since I was born in SF, I realize how many hispanics live in the area. I can also tell the difference between "local" hispanics and mexicans.
These guys are from SF and not from mexican parents but natives of SF also. AKA AMERICANS. There is nothing in the story that states they are anything other that, despite you saying you can "tell". Why do tings always have to turn to race??? This isn't a racial issue, its an American issue. An American tried to kill an American and his American family. Sad story. End of story. Did you master in Racism?
sabine 87501

Santa Fe, NM

#99 Mar 2, 2009
Homes wrote:
<quoted text>
Behaviour. like your spelling you capital high graduate, you!
Excuse me? No. I'm a SFHS grad. Odd that you'd think my unintentional use of the British spelling makes me a Capital High grad. Something I don't know about CHS grads perhaps. Meanwhile, nice job evading the question.
Again

Rio Rancho, NM

#100 Mar 3, 2009
rey wrote:
<quoted text> These guys are from SF and not from mexican parents but natives of SF also. AKA AMERICANS. There is nothing in the story that states they are anything other that, despite you saying you can "tell". Why do tings always have to turn to race??? This isn't a racial issue, its an American issue. An American tried to kill an American and his American family. Sad story. End of story. Did you master in Racism?
If you are going to use big words like "race" out there, don't you at least think you should understand what the definition of the word is? Look it up so that we don't have to have an inflamed disagreement. A wise man once said, "people throw the race card out there when they have lost the argument or have no position."
Homes

Rio Rancho, NM

#101 Mar 3, 2009
sabine 87501 wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me? No. I'm a SFHS grad. Odd that you'd think my unintentional use of the British spelling makes me a Capital High grad. Something I don't know about CHS grads perhaps. Meanwhile, nice job evading the question.
British spelling???? Oh, now I understand. When you wrote "excuse me?" were you shaking your head from side to side like a gangster girl?

Sabine, "Defender of all human rights!"
sabine 87501

Santa Fe, NM

#102 Mar 3, 2009
Homes wrote:
<quoted text>
British spelling???? Oh, now I understand. When you wrote "excuse me?" were you shaking your head from side to side like a gangster girl?
Sabine, "Defender of all human rights!"
No, just in disgust at the trolls this board attracts.
Michael in ABQ

Rio Rancho, NM

#103 Mar 3, 2009
Let's Pray...to Satan, that he takes his disgusting followers with him
Colleen

Santa Fe, NM

#104 Mar 3, 2009
This is just too crazy - the guy is already out on the streets. i bet his gun was given back to him too.
Anna

Gillette, WY

#105 Mar 3, 2009
The guy should have left it all alone. So someone else makes a U-turn in front of him. He lived through it. But, the U-turn guy violated his "space" and he goes after him!!! And THAT is why there is so much road rage!! It's really sad to see how many pathetic, childish drivers there are out there these days. They tailgate, they drive too fast and, because they have to "be first", they sit practically in the middle of intersections (and in the pedestrian walkways) while sitting at stoplights. And heaven forbid if you are a couple inches ahead of them while sitting at stoplights!!!
DocMo

Santa Fe, NM

#106 Mar 4, 2009
Is this town fast going to the dogs? Or has it always been like this? We need some statistics on the percentage of violent gun-related crime, including road-rage. How about it, SFNM...why not do a series on this topic?? And break it out to include number US citizens vs illegals, while you're at it. and what their sentencing is/was. How much of the time did they serve, if any..., etc.
Should prove interesting.
Obviously, people care to know more!!
Unbelievable

Albuquerque, NM

#107 Mar 4, 2009
Santa Fe has, for a very long time, been a horrible place to drive. And, if you happen to be a courteous driver, you can expect a lot more road rage seeming behavior. I was driving South on Guadalupe, and have you ever tried to cross the street to get to Tomasita's when you have to park on the side streets? It's like playing russian roulette. Anyway, there were a couple of tourists in the median trying to get across. I stop and wave them through - it's not like it was 5 o'clock traffic, it was 2 PM. The **** behind me is sitting on her horn, watching the people get across the street and yelling at them out her car window! Talk about embarassment to Santa Feans - get some class people. And then she proceeded to tailgate me all the way down Guadalupe. This woman must have been in her 50's and has probably driven that way her entire driving career - nice example if she has kids, huh? There needs to be more law enforcement on the streets who don't just watch people break the law. Some of our cops are on the ball and some actually watch people go through red lights with no reaction.
This town

Rio Rancho, NM

#108 Mar 4, 2009
DocMo wrote:
Is this town fast going to the dogs? Or has it always been like this? We need some statistics on the percentage of violent gun-related crime, including road-rage. How about it, SFNM...why not do a series on this topic?? And break it out to include number US citizens vs illegals, while you're at it. and what their sentencing is/was. How much of the time did they serve, if any..., etc.
Should prove interesting.
Obviously, people care to know more!!
Is definitely going to the dogs. The SFNM won't investigate this because they don't have the staff, and if they did, they would NEVER include crimes committed by illegals because the SFNM is too liberal.
Honestly

United States

#109 Mar 4, 2009
Homes wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you and my constant undertone and mantra in that separate subject is that the illegal alien problem, while not manifested directly in this case but shares similar dynamics, undermines the safety and security of all Americans, even of this unworthy alleged American perprator. Sadly we have a whole world of pre-existing home grown sophisticated criminal enterprises whose origins have not been typically associated with illegal immigration. Another reminder on how many fronts we must be vigilant.
Honestly

United States

#110 Mar 4, 2009
Unbelievable wrote:
Santa Fe has, for a very long time, been a horrible place to drive. And, if you happen to be a courteous driver, you can expect a lot more road rage seeming behavior. I was driving South on Guadalupe, and have you ever tried to cross the street to get to Tomasita's when you have to park on the side streets? It's like playing russian roulette. Anyway, there were a couple of tourists in the median trying to get across. I stop and wave them through - it's not like it was 5 o'clock traffic, it was 2 PM. The **** behind me is sitting on her horn, watching the people get across the street and yelling at them out her car window! Talk about embarassment to Santa Feans - get some class people. And then she proceeded to tailgate me all the way down Guadalupe. This woman must have been in her 50's and has probably driven that way her entire driving career - nice example if she has kids, huh? There needs to be more law enforcement on the streets who don't just watch people break the law. Some of our cops are on the ball and some actually watch people go through red lights with no reaction.
You comments are a sad but true testimony of the fact that Santa Fe drivers, me included, have historically been a very obnoxious, self centered and discourteous lot. Sorry but I'd have to think that each of has has a long list of experiences that would cause us to generally agree. I don't know what it is but every city has its own driving culture. Santa Fe's has always been surly and pugnacious and has often been dangerous from that aspet. It doesn't mean there aren't a whole bunch of nice people here that are great drivers, but we all have to endure lack of courtesy on a daily basis and simply wish it isn't so. This is the pinnacle of rudeness, when someone or their property is fired upon.
It's too bad that being a courteous and kind driver (and therefore a weak person in the road rage crazed driver's mind), is a trait that actually invites danger. That is a cultural problem that everyone should identify and defeat. People die from this stuff! Tsk tsk tsk...
Honestly

Alameda, CA

#111 Mar 4, 2009
Simply acknowledging the local crime rate and the sheer number of drivers per-capita involved in violence, gangs, drug and alcohol abuse, and other illicit lifestyles, on the road can really unnerve the average person. Think about the implications at large and you won't be in the last bit surprise these cases will continue until there is responsibility, ownership and commitment to change many aspects of our forever devolving norms and cultural morays. This case is about one person that pulled a trigger but it is also about a value system that enables such dangerous and egomaniacal behavior along the way.
Sean

Santa Fe, NM

#112 Mar 4, 2009
In my opinion, I think both drivers should be in jail. A bullet coming through your back window feels alot different then someone hitting your car. And if he looked back to see that guy go into Jiffy Lube, it would be obvious he could have seen the glass on his son. He went back looking for a fight, and he put his son and girlfreind in danger. I don't know how some of you can applaud is immature behavior.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Mar 18 Isidro1927 2,216
News Muslim group wants probe into New Mexico Quran ... Mar 16 kennedy_christian 1
News Report: ICE arrests five in Albuquerque Feb 27 lambert 12
News In deep hole, a chance for economic improvement Jan '17 rmeghan34 1
News Judge refuses to split charges in sex solicitat... (Sep '16) Sep '16 The Truth 1
News Home sweet home school (Dec '08) Sep '16 Mr Coach 8
News New jury system aims to ease burden of duty (Sep '09) Sep '16 Jeanne Scripps 5
More from around the web