Man charged in road-rage shooting

Man charged in road-rage shooting

There are 119 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Mar 1, 2009, titled Man charged in road-rage shooting. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Held at gunpoint after bullet strike showers his infant son with glass, second driver spits in suspect's face Doug Mattson The New Mexican Santa Fe police say it's a very bad idea to spit on someone pointing a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Dog Breath

Los Alamos, NM

#23 Mar 2, 2009
sabine 87501 wrote:
<quoted text> A young man with a temper, no brains, and a .45 are a bad combination.
Exactly.

Road rage is bad enough. Opening fire is really stupid. Put this guy away until he grows up. I don't want my 2nd Amendment rights (or my life) compromised because some **** can't separate his temper from his trigger finger.
OBANOS

Los Alamos, NM

#24 Mar 2, 2009
IM being serious Mr Romero has family just as Mr Anaya does this can only be a losing situation for both. After all they were both at fault for road rage.
sabine 87501 wrote:
<quoted text>Let's hope the judge locks him up for as long as the law allows. The "kid" may have life ahead of him but he has no brains, no common sense, and no regard for others. I'm figuring you're kidding and this is mocking those "he's a good boy" posts, but just thought I'd cover both bases. cheers
La Pura Verdad

Albuquerque, NM

#25 Mar 2, 2009
Road rage is not predjiduce it can happent to anyone that traversis our roads.
But you dont take spit to a gun fight!!
Funny that the story does not mention where the other driver was coming from or where he was going? Maybe to his own Church? or Self Defense Training.
Yep

Albuquerque, NM

#27 Mar 2, 2009
What wrote:
<quoted text>
Read yesterdays front page of the ABQ Journal for a great story about a Mexican who tried to have his unborn baby aborted by beating his pregnant girlfriend. Oh, and the interesting thing about the story is that he is an illegal from Mexico AND that he has been arrested 35 times. While you are at it, look at another article in the Journal on Saturday that states that Mexico's biggest import tot he U.S. is crime. Not oil, not labor, but crime.
Get ready for a lot more violence with the economy and all of the illegals tied to their little communities and drugs and violence. It is going to happen and the State Department now considers illegal immigration to be the most dangerous aspect to the U.S.
Verna Hutchinson

Borger, TX

#28 Mar 2, 2009
When another driver does something "stupid" or just plain "aggressive" - that is the time that we need to reflect back on our lifetime of driving to when we did something totally stupid or thoughtless, and someone gave us room to recover without being angry.

It's "payback" time for some of our own errors. Or maybe I am the only one driving that has ever done that.
Incident

Albuquerque, NM

#29 Mar 2, 2009
This town is wrote:
This town is full of some punk **** losers. I am sick of seeing them, and sick of reading about them in the paper every single day.
Nothing but unemployed punks who 'cruise' around ALL DAY harassing anybody that crosses them. Their girlfriends and momma's worship the ground they walk on and they think they are invincible.
Punks!
I went to a basketball game at St. Mike's yesterday. When I was walking into the building, there was a guy with three others trying to break the door off the building. When I asked him what he was doing, he starts throwing gang signs and asks "want some of this dog?"

Here I am, in my forties, dressed nicely and this punk kid wants to go at it in a public place. His behavior is a mirror of what this town has become. I hate to say it, but the gang influence that is now prevalent in our schools has been imported here from Mexico. For all you "they just want a better lifers" out there, I don't disagree with you, but they are going to make our lives less safe. Too bad.
Dog Breath

Los Alamos, NM

#30 Mar 2, 2009
OBANOS wrote:
This Kid has so much life ahead of him at 22 Lets pray that he learns from this incident and the judge gives him a second chance to rehabilitate himself. After all im sure this Kid also has a caring father and mother.
Yeah, and when little Rambo kills someone, his caring father and mother will surely mourn for the victim.

I'm all for rehabilitation and release (its cheaper than incarceration), but it has to actually work. We soft-hearted liberals have to be held to some reasonable standards, too.
Honestly

United States

#31 Mar 2, 2009
Get rid of this clown for the reckless endangerment and put him away for a long tine. Those bullets unleashed by this immature, narcissistic, sociopathic flawed being could have ended anyone's life to satisfy his childish anger and his pea-brained rationale. Lock this idiot up and throw away the key. We are simply tired of the mantra of justifying these crimes and the carnage they create. Who cares what happened or happens to Homey at this point. How about a swift and hard **** kicking from the courts? Make sure this **** can only play with a water gun and nerf toys from now on. And the victims in this crime may have well contributed to the death of their own children. Common sense is nowhere to be found in this sad story.
Willie

Los Angeles, CA

#32 Mar 2, 2009
Too much red chili.
Honestly

United States

#33 Mar 2, 2009
Honestly wrote:
Get rid of this clown for the reckless endangerment and put him away for a long tine. Those bullets unleashed by this immature, narcissistic, sociopathic flawed being could have ended anyone's life to satisfy his childish anger and his pea-brained rationale. Lock this idiot up and throw away the key. We are simply tired of the mantra of justifying these crimes and the carnage they create. Who cares what happened or happens to Homey at this point. How about a swift and hard **** kicking from the courts? Make sure this **** can only play with a water gun and nerf toys from now on. And the victims in this crime may have well contributed to the death of their own children. Common sense is nowhere to be found in this sad story.
*** a s s k i c k i n g ***
*** t h i s m o r o n ***
Honestly

United States

#34 Mar 2, 2009
We can reasonably deduce that this could have been a homicide case with very little changes in the sequence of events. There is legislation pending about how to insulate these young misguided idiots from paying proportionately for these types of crimes. This following previously submitted opinion is now entered into the comments for this related case:
The time, effort and money that would go into changing this legislation would be better spent educating a younger and younger criminal element that there are adult consequences waiting for adult criminal behavior. Society is being victimized by an ever growing wave of "under-age" criminal offenders. The tools of the trade are not toys but deadly adult weapons and cannot care who uses them to put these fatal plots into action. These inanimate purveyors of death are only an extension of a deranged mind that is destined to kill. Despite the age, a mind destined to kill is hosted by body that society must incarcerate or institutionalize for a very long time if they carry out the act and take a life. Many of the victims of these crimes are youth themselves. Don't add insult to injury for the families of the victims. These laws are the defenses that society uses, to protect and prevent in order to make the world safer for the victims and for future potential victims by taking these vicious assassins and thugs off the street. Let's get it straight - we are dealing with "Crime and Punishment", not crime and then wondering what went wrong with Poor Homey and looking for ways to apologize and coddle him. Hell No, we are tired of that milk toast approach that does not effectively deter crimes.
While I will have to admit that it is tragic that these young offenders are throwing away their lives, they have choices at many points along the way to stop their behavior before they put into action the values they are subjected to by the toxic influences of an upside down world of criminal subculture where wrong is right. The justice system is not the University of Kool, or any other educational system. It is about punishment. Identify these misguided youths and get to them before they break the law again in the fullest sense of the word and take another life. It is time to keep informing and reinforcing to these misguided young adults and children that if they play, they pay. This is where the advocacy and tough love gets meted out, not after there is irreversible carnage. Focus any legislation on making changes to the appeal process so they can have reviews of their cases for any prosecutorial misconduct and violation of court protocol. But let us all get in all front of this, individually and collectively and educate our youth about the need to live in society or pay the cost and live outside society in the gloom and doom of the prisons system. The real tragedy in these cases is not that Poor Homey threw his life away but that the lives of the victims can reduced to speculation about what their future would bring. Society mourns the fact they will never have a chance to go to college, get married, have children or be able to live out any hopes and dreams they had. Their lives and future are stopped and so must that of the offender - an eye for an eye kids! Take time to teach the kids what that means and if they chose to act criminally, be certain they know that one of those eyes will be theirs! The youthful, criminal, anti-social subculture must learn this lesson early and learn if often. We are tired of treating them like the victim. If they are gambling and hoping they will get a new life soon after taking one, they shouldn't count on society for rescue and should instead plan to put their lives on hold for many, many years. Game Over! Capice!?
We are at war

Albuquerque, NM

#35 Mar 2, 2009
why aren't these guys pulling a gun on some arabs over in the middle east? If they want to fight, let them do it for our country. I say we start shipping all these idiots over to where there is real danger and they learn about how lucky they have it here.
Melanie

Santa Fe, NM

#36 Mar 2, 2009
Um...when you have a child in the car...you probably shouldn't be starting fights in the street. I think Romero is an **** for pulling a gun...but I also think Anaya is an **** for putting his family in danger.
Dog Breath

Los Alamos, NM

#37 Mar 2, 2009
We are at war wrote:
why aren't these guys pulling a gun on some arabs over in the middle east? If they want to fight, let them do it for our country. I say we start shipping all these idiots over to where there is real danger and they learn about how lucky they have it here.
Which Arabs, our allies or our adversaries? Or does that matter?

Ah, yes. He could join Blackwater. But it seems to me that the last thing we need representing our nation "over there" is some fool who can't keep his brain cells one step ahead of his trigger finger. He would be in deep **** faster than you can say "friendly fire".
MariA

AOL

#38 Mar 2, 2009
WOW.....what a story. I'm glad the Anaya family is ok, and I understand the anger...but how CRAZY.
That idiot could have killed all of you. Anyone shotting because he was passed is INSANE. Lock him up throw out the key....but, I know it won't happen...He will be out and on the loose waving his gun again.
Nick Falcone

Albuquerque, NM

#39 Mar 2, 2009
I'm glad no one was hurt, and that the police responded so quickly.
george adelo

Santa Fe, NM

#40 Mar 2, 2009
now THAT is a comment!!
Too Much for this Fool wrote:
Don't worry the DA will drop all but one charge then the judge will put an ankle bracelet on him and tell him he can only drive Cerrillos Road between 2 am when the bars close and 12 midnight the next day. Oh, and he will not be allowed to carry a .45, only a .38. unless accompanied by a drunken State Police Officer on the Guv's detail or a really drunk lawyer, but then he can drive in DC.
sabine 87501

Albuquerque, NM

#42 Mar 2, 2009
OBANOS wrote:
IM being serious Mr Romero has family just as Mr Anaya does this can only be a losing situation for both. After all they were both at fault for road rage. <quoted text>
One was stupid for being macho. One pulled a LOADED weapon he had in his vehicle and opened fire ON CERRILLOS road. He does not deserve to walk among us. Regardless of the mitigating factors.
Here's the thing: self defense in road rage is: go away. Drive to a police department. He was BEHIND THE GUY. Pull over, for God's sake. You don't SHOOT. He MUST be made an example.
sabine 87501

Albuquerque, NM

#43 Mar 2, 2009
Melanie wrote:
Um...when you have a child in the car...you probably shouldn't be starting fights in the street. I think Romero is an **** for pulling a gun...but I also think Anaya is an **** for putting his family in danger.
Assuming Mr Anaya did anything prior to his window being shot out, he shouldn't have. And he's an IDIOT for challenging a man with a loaded weapon. That said, Mr. Romero didn't "pull a gun" he fired a .45 ruger from a moving vehicle, into another vehicle. He tried to murder someone. The end.
Honestly

United States

#44 Mar 2, 2009
505guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I was at St. Mikes yesterday too! I saw those gang banger jotos actin like bofos too! They will end up flippin burgers with a heroin needle sticking out of their arm, dead, or in jail.
...in the meantime, let's do everything possible to prevent our families and friends from being victimized or otherwise affected by these individuals and the bad results and impact of what they do to themselves and society at large...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police on lookout for 'healer' in scam probe (Jul '09) Sep 25 Sharon 88
News Despite pardon, Arpaio judge isn't convinced sh... Sep '17 tomin cali 1
News At risk in Rohingya exodus: 230,000 children, h... Sep '17 Wildchild 1
News About those climate denials: You're wrong Sep '17 Talkin To A 9yo 9
News Convicted stalker running for Pearce's seat as ... Sep '17 Marie 6
News Albuquerque man arrested in Santa Fe, accused o... Sep '17 Ustinque 3
News PNM customers call for more clean energy, not h... Sep '17 Iron Wil 2
More from around the web