Police find pre-paid phone in hit-and-run car

Police said Friday that they're trying to determine who owns a pre-paid cell phone found in a lawyer's car after he was arrested in the hit-and-run death of a pedestrian near downtown Santa Fe. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
George W Bush

Tavernier, FL

#1 Dec 5, 2008
I want to hire him as my lawyer, great guy!
SFX

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Dec 5, 2008
A $27 receipt from Rio Chama? What is that? like one drink? How do you get intoxicated on one drink?
KD Murphy

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Dec 6, 2008
Geeze, where do you go and pay $27 for 1 drink? It's probably more like 3.
Oh, now we have the jaywalking defense. A jaywalking rock. His attorneys are probably just eatin' it all up.
DocMo

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Dec 6, 2008
The pedestrian ALWAYS has the right-of-way. Even if the ped is jaywalking, that is no excuse to mow someone down and leave him for dead. This is the best eye-witness account that has come out in the media so far. No lights, riding on two rims, speeding on a side street; the BMW stopping briefly after hitting Mr.Tenorio and then taking off aagain. In other words...shows INTENTION. Drunk or not! Who's "pre-paid" cell phone, we wonder? Not something a lawyer or cop would usually use.
Seems like there was something (or someone) else to hide that night. Wonder what it was? Mr. Fiero, Mr. Lovato... you two gonna come clean? Or now that you've lawyered up you've clammed up...of course. Disgusting. Couple of drunken cowards parading as Santa Fe's finest.

“You probably already know me.”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe

#5 Dec 6, 2008
$27 at Rio Chama spent on drinks?
So he must have drank half a can of Budweiser including the tip...

These rich politicos sure can spend it.
Santa Fean

Pleasanton, CA

#6 Dec 6, 2008
Somebody else could have been buying drinks! When a cop and lawyer and deputy secretary are at a popular politico bar... DRINKS COME FREE! His story does not match the evidence.

He stopped after the hit? This shows intention to leave and that he was not in a fight vs flight state of mind. I do not think he meant to hit the guy... he was just trying to get home safe after getting plastered and popping his tires on the median... he offed his lights to make a sneaky get away and didn't see the man... However, This man needs to serve a fair sentence. If this happened to me I would expect the same, If this happened to my brother I would expect the same, If this happened to a poor white or a rich black I would expect the same. Make him pay to set the example for the rest of the people out there.

I am not righteous. I sin. I ask for forgiveness and I PAY FOR MY SINS. All I hope is that Fierro gets a fair trial. A trial anybody else would get.
Santa Fean

Santa Fe, NM

#7 Dec 6, 2008
Santa Fean wrote:
Find your own screen name.
sabine 87501

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Dec 6, 2008
okay...so fierro has someone else's credit card (that he probably got handed at a bar the week before), AND he left his credit card in a bar while drunk. I see. Clearly he wasn't concerned about his fellow New Mexicans enough to return that man's credit card in a timely manner.
sabine 87501

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Dec 6, 2008
KD Murphy wrote:
Geeze, where do you go and pay $27 for 1 drink? It's probably more like 3.
Oh, now we have the jaywalking defense. A jaywalking rock. His attorneys are probably just eatin' it all up.
It's probably 1 round. FOR THREE.

“Don't forget to Register!!”

Since: Dec 08

Santa Fe, NM

#10 Dec 6, 2008
Santa Fean wrote:
<quoted text>
Find your own screen name.
Ahem, I agree.
Doinky

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Dec 6, 2008
The guy will get off.

It's against the will of judges and cops to nail someone for drinking and driving. They do it themselves.

2 living treasures and a 'jaywalker' gone this year to ducktards drunk behind the wheel. Something to celebrate for the quat-tennial!
Unbelievable

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Dec 6, 2008
The New Mexican needs to stop reporting "speculation" and report only that which is fact and relevant! Why in the world do we need to know how much money Mr. Lovato made?
I'm glad to finally read an eyewitness account rather than Jason Auslander's interpretation of what might have been seen or heard. Mr. Hall, it seems, had a very clear view of what happened and he took good note as to how the driver reacted, thank you Mr. Hall.
And, hmmmm, still wondering where the bac results are? I've been to Rio many times and believe you me, three drinks is nowhere NEAR $27, more like $50. Mr. Lovato and Mr. Fierro know the bartenders there well, I'm sure it was more like 4-5 rounds and they were on "the house". I think the bartender and the server need to be questioned as to how many drinks these men really had. This is good ole Santa Fe investigation, sloppy and leaving far too many stones unturned.
Santa Fean

Santa Fe, NM

#13 Dec 6, 2008
Santa Fean wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahem, I agree.
Fine

“'Oat Willie'”

Since: Sep 08

Santa FE, NM

#14 Dec 6, 2008
Possesion of a Stolen/ Missing/Lost Credit Card if you or myself had it in Our Vehicle.
But, we Have a Politically 'Dis-Connected] Attorney, A Drunken State Police Officer, and Possibly another 'Person of Interest'
Smoething Already Smells 'FISHY'
SF Homegirl in ABQ

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Dec 6, 2008
If you "pop" your tires, why in the world would you continue to drive? Especially in the state's capital city AND downtown AND with your lights off? Aren't police patrolling the downtown streets in the Governor's hometown? The man obviously had no fear to drive a vehicle that was an accident just waiting to happen. These 2 men obviously have no consciences.

Where are the so-called DWI taskforce? Shouldn't the drinking establishments be held accountable for over-serving or allowing intoxicated patrons into their establishments?

This whole thing is just a shame. Shame on these "civil servants". My condelences to the Tenorio family.
Santa Fe Joe

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Dec 6, 2008
A man is dead. He may not have been rich or connected like some, but he still deserves justice.

The police need to do their job and follow through with a thorough investigation.
Poor Public Servant

Santa Fe, NM

#17 Dec 6, 2008
So if Troy Fernandez, Deputy Director of Cultural Affairs, departed the Rio Chama with Carlos Fierro, then why didn't Troy stop him from driving since it was obvious that Carlos was drunk?

What responsibility does Troy have as a state employee?
Santa Fe Joe

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Dec 6, 2008
btw,

Still haven't heard about any arrests from the incident last month when three men beat and robbed a man at a campground in Hyde Park. Then used his credit card that night at Santa Fe Place.

Did I miss a follow up on that story or have the police given up on that investigation?
Harvey

Pleasanton, CA

#19 Dec 6, 2008
Each time i read articles on these losers, it keeps mentioning their credentials like we're going to miss them if they do time.
The Phantom Menace

Santa Fe, NM

#20 Dec 6, 2008
Actor Lane Garrison crashed his car while drunk and high on coke, during which a passenger riding with him was killed.
He was sentenced to 40 months in prison in California.
But he didn't hit and run after the death, which would have been another felony and carries another 18-24 month term (in California) So, if the sentencing is similar here in New Mexico, Fierro should get somewhere between 60-70 months, pay at least a $25,000 fine, be on probation for 2-3 years, attend 1 year of alcohol education, lose his driver's license forever, be disbarred, and face a civil trial from the deceased family which will drain the remainder of his assents. OUCH.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug '14 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug '14 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3
•••

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••