Silver City shuts skate park after fight

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

SILVER CITY a ' City Manager Alex Brown has indefinitely closed Silver City's skate park after an altercation between skaters and police, saying the action was warranted because of violence against officers.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Paleface

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Does this mean we get to close police stations after an incident of polioce brutality?
KVigil

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

What a shame that a couple bad apples ruin it for the good kids who just want a fun place to skateboard.
GO-FWD-NM

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Silver City is filled with progressives you can plan on them giving the City you-know-what at the upcoming meetings. In the last 10-15 years this town has really bloomed into a very interesting place with a mild winter climate. Wish we had that! These people have built a new Skate Park and the downtown businesses certainly don't want kids flying by their customers and their front doors and in the streets with traffic especially in their historic main street café and arts district.
Oh Pleeease

South Fork, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

If it would have been a fight at the football stadium or basketball courts, would they have closed them? I think not. This is clearly a case of the suit and ties against the nonconformists. I've heard this is the attitude in Silver City.
Gil Morales

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Let some one buy this skate board park and manage it.

“You probably already know me.”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Judged:

Ridiculous! Where's the city council's debate records on this? A full transcript of the decision making process needs to be made public.
Santa Fe Skate Riot

Los Alamos, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

This sounds like the Santa Fe Skate riot in the early 90's. A couple of kids were skating and playing hackeysac on the plaza... a tourist complained to the lazy cops that park on the corner there... and the cops went and cracked heads, stole boards and arrested kids (cause they fought back)... then they outlawed skating and hackeysac on the plaza...
Shawna Martin

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Judged:

The kids wanted ( and deserved ) a better skate park. They got it. For the life of me I cannot understand what the big deal is about wearing a helmet.

It is not acceptable for these kids to attack a police officer and I am of the opinion that the skate park should be closed for a couple of weeks and then re-opened to give them a chance to prove that they can abide by the rules. If a second infraction happens, I say close it for two months. If a third infraction happens, close it for good.

I am so disgusted by kids and parents who never respect authority and the rules. That is exactly what is wrong with today's society.

“Orwell said this would happen.”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2009

Judged:

Santa Fe Skate Riot wrote:
and the cops went and cracked heads, stole boards and arrested kids (cause they fought back)
Hilarious. Don't want your head cracked? Don't "fight back" when the cops arrest you, even if the cops are in the wrong.

Instead, go to jail peacefully and then call a lawyer.
Short Bus Driver

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

Wear your helmet and shut up!
Short Bus Driver

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2009

Wear your helmet and shut up!
Wayne B

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2010

The previous post was not me. I'm "the" short bus driver. Whats worse, to be the short bus driver or pose as one? hahahah

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Search the The Santa Fe New Mexican Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) Apr 11 swedenforever 9
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Apr 2 Lynne Loss 8
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar 26 Billie 3
THE RECESSION: Many pushed many to seek second ... (Mar '09) Mar 26 Sileas 2
Letters to editor for March 3, 2009 (Mar '09) Mar 26 Leonora 33
THE RECESSION: Many pushed many to seek second ... (Sep '09) Mar 26 Liz 3
Household debt sees first drop in decades (Dec '08) Mar 26 Mair 2
•••

Santa Fe Conditions

(updated 9 min ago)

Weather
Sunny 61°F
Hi: 69°F