Unleashing the tethered canine

Unleashing the tethered canine

There are 3 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from May 29, 2010, titled Unleashing the tethered canine. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Photo: Santa Fe animal shelter veterinarian Nan Hack checks on Nicholas, a dog that was found with a cable embedded in its neck.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Albuquerque, NM

#1 May 30, 2010
Thanks to everyone who is caring for Nicholas. I hope his furever finds him very quickly and he can start the rest of his life. I also hope his abusers are found and prosecuted.
We had a basset, Annie, in TN who had a harness grown into her. The DA took the case seriously and was able to convict her abuser. She has the best furever home and her injuries, both physical and emotional, are all healed.

Meadville, PA

#2 May 30, 2010
When will we have a law against - and a strict penalty with jail time and a huge fine - chaining or tying up a dog? Why would you get a dog and then abandon it on the end of a chain. Shame, shame. Maybe the Legislature is finally maturing enough to see this as an insidious practice of some really ignorant people. After all, we did get rid of **** fighting. Didn't we?

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Aug 22, 2012
There still are no laws in Santa Fe that help with this issue! Albuquerque and Taos both passed tethering laws in 2006 that only allows a dog to be tied up for 1 hour in a 24 hour period. It also must be on a 12' lead with swivel ends. It must have shelter and access to food and water as well. Either way, this is the bare minimum and Santa Fe has not even passed a similar law yet. What? I am appauled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) 5 hr Nicki 26
News El Corazon de Santa Fe managers hopeful (Apr '09) Sep 29 Frustrated Seller 2
News Bumper crop has plenty of people out picking pinon (Oct '08) Sep 27 Redfrog176 20
News Man once cleared of murder back in prison (Jun '09) Sep '15 Joe McGillicuddy 55
News V-8 trike is one beauty of a beast (Jul '09) Aug '15 Bikers sux 3
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug '15 tamara 2,212
News Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) Jun '15 Texas Alamosis 13
More from around the web