Software upgrades cost state millions

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

The Department of Transportation later this month is expected to complete software upgrades so it can meet federal billing requirements to receive reimbursements on highway projects.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Sep 22, 2011
TomB

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Boy, I sure wish I was a Friend of $Bill. I'd be rich or in jail.
to late as always

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Judged:

well here we go again, with that kind of payments and no quarantee, guess well pay some more after the june 30 deadline, no money for schools, no money for college of santa fe, no money for disable vets, on, and on. why do we have staff that earn more then $ 40.00 an hour and yet we have to hire outside help? This New Mexico Government is looking like the Banking Inst., and Auto Industry, just keep on injecting more money, bet some of the Fed Bailout will also go to this DOT fisacos. This probably one of the few Democratic states that Replicans can win in the next elect, thank you Gov.

“JustAThought”

Since: Feb 09

northern NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Judged:

It's like the feds spending money on unnecessary war. Sure, throw good money on bad rubbish. It's the American way!
Hopi Guy

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Judged:

Oh yeah! If you believe this was not "pay to play" , there is a bridge in Brooklyn that is for sale.

Poor Diane Denish, she was not a player or a recipient of much money.
Still happening in SF

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Judged:

This is really horrible to see our taxpayers money going to waste. The state (courtesy of $ Bill) paid like 24 million for this horrible SHARE System and then they didn't want to fork out another 10 million to get the proper training. They tried to wing it for the last 2 years and now realize there's no winging it!!!! Now here we are having to pay consultants to fix the **** that $$ Bill got us into. When does this all end???? Pay to play, yeah for sure!!! Along with our Web sense (email system) what else is new. WE NEED TO WAKE UP NEW MEXICO!!!

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

I guess we spent so much time kicking Uncle Sam. Now it`s time to kick his 50 children.
Ain`t no future in this business.
Wasteful spending

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Judged:

The SHARE program itself cost $30 million to set up. That doesn't include the ongoing operational price. The 2010 fiscal year budget for the program is $4.8 million, according to the Department of Information Technology.
Since 2006, the state has authorized more than $5 million for consultants to help with the beleaguered program, according to records obtained under an Inspection of Public Records Act request
For 30 million the program should not be "beleagured". The people who decided to purchase this program were either idiots or on the polical payroll. What a shame. And what the hell are "ongoing operational costs (4.8 million) and administrative fees(300 thousand)? Aren't those included in the maintenance package (1.7 million)? Idiots making bad decisions. Who oversees these enormous budgets?
Think about it

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

SHARE was a disaster before it was implemented and continues to be so to this day. It is non-user friendly, doesn't take kindly to changes in work hours and charges LWOP if one works a shorter day one day and makes it up the next day, not to mention having to anticipate sick and annual leave an entire work week in advance. Give me back AFRAS any old time.

They will still be "fixing" it long after $Bill has left office.
DOT Worker

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Judged:

As someone who works with SHARE at the NMDOT, I was surprised to read that Gary Giron thinks that the SHARE system will be fixed by the Federal deadline. I hear that it won't happen in time. I see no sign that any changes have happened. One thing that needs to be done is that it has to be able to track employees time and assign time to projects for reimbursement. I thought they had to run tests on the fix too once it is in place and that will take some time. No sign of that yet. As far as I can see, we have the same worthless SHARE system with no changes. I will be very surprised if it gets fixed. They have tried to fix it for three years. I just don't think they can do it with less than a month to go.
State Worker Bee

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Think about it wrote:
SHARE was a disaster before it was implemented and continues to be so to this day. It is non-user friendly, doesn't take kindly to changes in work hours and charges LWOP if one works a shorter day one day and makes it up the next day, not to mention having to anticipate sick and annual leave an entire work week in advance. Give me back AFRAS any old time.
They will still be "fixing" it long after $Bill has left office.
Ditto. You get what you pay for. Pay peanuts; get monkeys.
Cranky

Clovis, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

The past two days have been nothing short of anger and frustration for financial module users. We are now in the third year of use and it is beyond reason that a report has to sit on the queue for two hours. And then it errors out. If it isn't canceled.

Give me AFRAS any day of the week. Starting with tomorrow!
State Employee

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Hey Cranky,
Do you think the NMDOT is going to be able to fix the SHARE by the end of the month? Like DOT worker, I don't think it will happen. Since you work with it, I was wondering what you thought about this?
State Worker Bee

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Cranky wrote:
The past two days have been nothing short of anger and frustration for financial module users. We are now in the third year of use and it is beyond reason that a report has to sit on the queue for two hours. And then it errors out. If it isn't canceled.
Give me AFRAS any day of the week. Starting with tomorrow!
Sometimes it takes 30+ minutes just to print a PO! Very aggravating to production.
Very Concerned Citizen

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

wow.

bill richardson and rhonda faust at their best.

no wonder they bought a 6 MILLION dollar personal luxury jet for the state.

they needed a quick getaway if the authorities caught up with them...

they are both CRIMINALS.

bill is still trying to pretend he is innocent..

and rhonda? even though you retired... with enough prompting.. certain nm legal offices won't forget where you are... comprende?
Cranky

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2009

State Employee wrote:
Hey Cranky,
Do you think the NMDOT is going to be able to fix the SHARE by the end of the month? Like DOT worker, I don't think it will happen. Since you work with it, I was wondering what you thought about this?
I'm sincerely hoping it will be fixed but I'm not betting my paycheck on it. That is if HCM decides I get one this week!
Former State Employee

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

Roy Soto, IT Cabinet Secretary until mid - 2008, has been a long time supporter and political contributor to Richardson. Soto quickly rose through political appointments (including significant salary increases) as IT Deputy Secretary at the Department of Labor, then to a newly created IT Cabinet Secretary for the state. Soto was continuously being linked with the long-standing problems with the SHARE system and other botched state IT projects as system failures were often headlined in local media and blogger sites. Repeatedly, Soto was called in to testify before state legislators about the on-going problems and increasing costs. Soto’s attempts to placate lawmakers and the media were met with doubt and outrage as problems and costs continued. Time and time again, Soto reported the system was working and fixes were in place when, in fact, little or no progress was ever made to remedy system problems.

But Soto’s management style and centralized control of IT contracts apparently did not go well with IT firms and other state agencies. Finally, it appeared the governor had no choice but to do something about Soto. It was reported by other bloggers that Soto was fired.

The whole “pay to play” issue not only involves getting contributions from companies who are favored in business dealings with the state, but that also benefit political appointees who support and contribute to the governor's campaigns. Unfortunately, many of these political supporters are given high level jobs they have no background or ability in. So, does anyone wonder why computer system problems have cost the state millions of dollars over the last few years?
James

Crownsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2011

Subject: Did Governor Rod R. Blagojevich take a Quid Pro Quo from Maximus Inc. or is this a campaign contribution?

Dear Governor Rod R. Blagojevich,

Maximus Inc. of Reston, Virginia has been awarded all Federal/State Government contracts. For child welfare, child support, Medicaid, Medicare, student loans, probation departments, handicapped programs, social security, etc. The problem here is that the massive fraud, conspiracy to defraud, and other criminal activities by Maximus Inc. leave persons with nothing. The average American Citizen does not know this, and in reality, Maximus Inc. is "Shadow Government". Maximus Inc. got these contracts by Local, State, National, and International Officials taking bribes, payoff, and kickbacks. Maximus Inc. was named after the Emperor Maximus who abused everyone, terrorized, and killed him or her. Very fitting name for Maximus Inc. Maximus Inc. has left a trail of corruption, scandal, kickbacks, and mismanagement in its wake. Maximus Inc. is on the New York Stock Exchange, as it is a private corporation

Maximus Inc., a Virginia-based company, donated $105,800.00 and got $30 million in contracts, and the company got a waiver so that it could bid on a $400 million contract proposal that it was paid to develop. Was this a Quid Pro Quo or a campaign contribution?

Governor check this matter out for yourself, and be advised that it is everywhere in the world.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug 13 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug 8 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3

Search the The Santa Fe New Mexican Forum:

Santa Fe Conditions

(updated 12 min ago)

Weather
Mostly Sunny 67°F
Hi: 64°F
Lo: 51°F
Feels like: 67°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »