Hard times for pets, too

Hard times for pets, too

There are 8 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Dec 20, 2008, titled Hard times for pets, too. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Photo: Mo McGarry, the shelter manager in Santa Fe, says goodbye to Snowball, a Chihuahua that was adopted last week by Margie Perrault and her 15-year-old son, Eric.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

Doinky

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Dec 21, 2008
Guess what people? The no kill shelter model,while humane and highly commendable, is not working.

No kill means: So many pets for adoption that people who cannot truly care for pets adopt and then must give up pets.

It means there's no additional,'able to care for pets' adoptees waiting to help because the high incidence of pet ownership has saturated the available home for pets

The pet industry, corporate by any standards, diverts huge quantities of resources to make pet food, toys and accoutrements; these resources can be used elsewhere, helping PEOPLE.

Be as green as you wanna be, there's still the problem of PET WASTE disposal, which has nothing to do with sanitation.

The 'kitten boom' is not going to go away. Not enough coyotes to eat them all. Feral cat colonies breed disease and trouble.

Dog packs are not going away. They are even worse.

Pets are wonderful friends.

Too much of a good thing is a BAD THING.

There aren't homes enough, food enough, space enough for people, let alone pet overpopulation.

Time to euthanize.

“'Oat Willie'”

Since: Sep 08

Santa FE, NM

#2 Dec 21, 2008
Science Diet Dog Food Went Up 35% last August for Example.i use Lamb Meal Rice Formula. The Bags went from 36 bucks to $48.99.
MichaelMichael

AOL

#3 Dec 21, 2008
I have a pet as well, a cat! She's been with me for nearly 5 years since she was a kitten. Food prices have sky-rocketed! She has always eaten well; I guess Iíve spoiled her. Pet food is high but Iíve stopped going to pet stores and instead I give her leftovers and she seems to like it. My next door neighborís son works at a local restaurant and he brings leftovers from there, itís been now 8 months and my cat is doing just great! Iíve saved nearly $300.00. I do give her pet vitamins. Iím not about to give her up, it would kill me to give her away. Iíve always manage to take care of her and myself.
Try not to give up you pet, its part of your family youíll regret it!
The restaurant owner told my neighbor, if any other families that has a pet and are afraid to give it up, give me a call and we will save scraps for them, weíll even set aside food that pets enjoy!

Since: Nov 08

northern New Mexico

#4 Dec 21, 2008
I suggest more petfood bank type things. Food stamps cover people food, but pet food and kitty litter (and toilet paper, soap, etc) are not covered. Especially for those who are underemployed or out of work, a food bank for pets would help.

Also, just to be selfish, foster care for wanted pets (not just the strays) would also be great.
Lizard

Los Alamos, NM

#5 Dec 21, 2008
Interesting story but the bottom line is, if you can't afford to have a pet then don't. Too many pets are turned away and dumped at animal shelters and rescue services because people cannot provide food and routine vet care (shots). Average yearly costs to maintain a dog are in the thousands of dollars. Costs escalate if your pet gets sick or injured. If you're not or can't commit to these expenditures then do not bring animals into your home.

“'Oat Willie'”

Santa FE, NM

#6 Dec 21, 2008
i used to raise Golden Retrievers.
a Friend, waited for 3 years toget one of my Well Known Male's Offspring.
upon Deliver of the Female, i Went over the Vaccination Schedule for Newborns.
that went in One Ear, and Out the Other i sadly Found out When 'SCARLET' came Down with PARVO.
$500.00 Bucks for a Goldie they Paid, She, a Homeopathic So Called 'Doctor'/ Chiropractor, who Does not to this Day Believe in Vaccinating Pets for Parvo, Bortadella, Para-Influenza, Distemper, etc,
Thousands and Thousands in Quarrantine Bills. Ask the Docs at the 'ARK'

Wendie was the so called 'Doctors'[QUACK] Name.
i Tried to Buy the Pup Back for what 'Wendy's' Paid, and ALL the Vet Bills.
Refused, i Was. She;s Mine i was Told.
Go Figure.

“'Oat Willie'”

Santa FE, NM

#7 Dec 21, 2008
And 6 Months later,'Scarlett' Bit The Dust w/ Parvo,2nd verse, same as the First!.
Not FUNNY! and they wanted a 'REFUND'
Life was Hell.
abcdefg

Littleton, CO

#9 Dec 22, 2008
The euthanize comment is in regard to the man who would probably euthanize his wife and kids simply because there are "too many of those in the world, too".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spaceport secrecy bill clears New Mexico Senate... Thu Bloodonhishands 12
News 'Dreamers' left in limbo as Senate rejects immi... Feb 18 spud 15
News 'I'm glad it's over': Family, friends welcome c... (Oct '08) Feb 13 Moving on 33
News Convicted stalker running for Pearce's seat as ... Jan '18 Laura 9
News Pojoaque Bible Church moves to SPMDTU Hall (May '09) Jan '18 Living by grace 3
News India is on the hunt for 24 - untraceable' hist... Jan '18 Archaeonaut 1
News New Mexico's population growth slows to crawl Jan '18 Tinman 2
More from around the web