C de Baca resigns over 'racial' remarks

C de Baca resigns over 'racial' remarks

There are 92 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Sep 25, 2008, titled C de Baca resigns over 'racial' remarks. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Embattled Bernalillo County Republican chairman Fernando C de Baca resigned Thursday over remarks that leaders of both parties called racially insensitive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
kayceygirl

Mesa, AZ

#1 Sep 26, 2008
I find it interesting that the "facts" of the Older Hispanic population as a group are offensive when they are expressed out in the open. Is this a reasonable attitude? Not according to me. But the facts that the Older Hispanics may have this issue would be interesting to discuss and in fact interesting for Obama to address in some manner. I will be the first to say that prejudice is a plague on our society BUT as human beings we lean towards gathering with those more similar to us. The 60's we an amazing time. Old attitudes die hard. Do I think that rednecks from the Bayou of Louisiana will vote for Obama? Nope. He is African American and that is that. We cannot ignore the prejudice that exists deeply rooted in our society and our own psyche. It is there folks, like it or not. If it the white elephant in the middle of the room. If we admit that this is an issue, discuss the details THEN can we deal with the issue of Prejudice in a rational manner.
cgrach

Florence, AL

#2 Sep 26, 2008
It's just squabbling over pieces of the entitlement pie. These minority based entitlement programs have created 5 generations of continued poverty and dependence in the black community. Hispanics should be glad they didn't get more, or they might be in the same situation. How can a government single out minorities for generations of legislated assistance and expect that to reduce racism and prejudice? These programs create racial separation, both in perception and reality.
Milton Deemer

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Sep 26, 2008
kayceygirl, the problem is not with "prejudice" it is with racism. All of us are prejudiced about something and most of us are still able to operate within the bounds of society's ethics. However, racism is so stupid and baseless that it transcends the morals and ethics of the vast majority of people. Racism is learned and so it can be unlearned. The first step in this process is to point it out when it occurs. That is what has happened here.
freebies

Atlanta, GA

#4 Sep 26, 2008
ACORN, with their attorney Barack Obama, is now being investigated for voter fraud.

So far, over 2,200 ballot fraud's have been found including 14 year olds, deceased, fictional characters and past president like Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Teddy Rosevelt.

Politics.... as dirty as it gets continues.

Since: Sep 08

Cleveland, GA

#5 Sep 26, 2008
The fact of the matter is the entitlement programs are the basis of most racism toward blacks today.
KarlaD

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Sep 26, 2008
Dave Nelson wrote:
The fact of the matter is the entitlement programs are the basis of most racism toward blacks today.
I see, the source of racism toward blacks is not historic or a moral failure on the part of the haters, it is logical because they get a better deal in life than others.

Right

JB Williams

Powhatan Point, OH

#7 Sep 26, 2008
KarlaD wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, the source of racism toward blacks is not historic or a moral failure on the part of the haters, it is logical because they get a better deal in life than others.
Right
Except there are more "white" people on "welfare" than any other group.

Since: Sep 08

Cleveland, GA

#8 Sep 26, 2008
KarlaD wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, the source of racism toward blacks is not historic or a moral failure on the part of the haters, it is logical because they get a better deal in life than others.
Right
Where did you learn this word haters? It seems to be a buzzword amongst certain types. You do seem to have a bit of it in yourself, the way you are so quick to judge. In addition to your perception that you are on a much higher moral plane.

Just what are your credentials to assume such lofty morality? What is your experience in the matter?

I said "today". You turned it into something else other than what I said with the "it is logical because they get a better deal in life than others." Economics is the basis for most conflicts between groups of people.

But I am really interested in just what experience and expertise you have to be so morally superior.

Since: Sep 08

Cleveland, GA

#9 Sep 26, 2008
JB Williams wrote:
<quoted text>Except there are more "white" people on "welfare" than any other group.
As 70+% of the population is white, what would you expect?

Since: Jul 07

Virginia Beach, VA

#10 Sep 26, 2008
kayceygirl wrote:
I find it interesting that the "facts" of the Older Hispanic population as a group are offensive when they are expressed out in the open. Is this a reasonable attitude? Not according to me. But the facts that the Older Hispanics may have this issue would be interesting to discuss and in fact interesting for Obama to address in some manner. I will be the first to say that prejudice is a plague on our society BUT as human beings we lean towards gathering with those more similar to us. The 60's we an amazing time. Old attitudes die hard. Do I think that rednecks from the Bayou of Louisiana will vote for Obama? Nope. He is African American and that is that. We cannot ignore the prejudice that exists deeply rooted in our society and our own psyche. It is there folks, like it or not. If it the white elephant in the middle of the room. If we admit that this is an issue, discuss the details THEN can we deal with the issue of Prejudice in a rational manner.
gee, does someone harbor resentment against people from the bayou of louisiana? i believe racism exists in every corner of our great nation...
JB Williams

Powhatan Point, OH

#11 Sep 26, 2008
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
As 70+% of the population is white, what would you expect?
yes of course but as the dominant culture and ruling class they stll hold about 40% of all welfare recipients. I would have thought white people would have been able by now to rid themselves of poverty and get the entire white population working and acting as productive members of US society.
Whathe

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Sep 26, 2008
Amazing how, when racism is the topic, the whackos (from Crackerland) and the "hater" haters (what a vile, shallow parroting of words used by the national political scene's latest poster-child for deception, faux spiritual values and the brain-dead) all come out to play.

C de Baca's departure unfortunately remedies very little where ignorance, lack of intellectual discernment and generational programming will-out over reason, education and core spiritual values.
But, it is (yet another) necessary step. Buh-bye de Baca dude!
Gary lyon

AOL

#13 Sep 26, 2008
It is hard to believe that here is 2008 people still think the same way our forefathers of 100 years ago or even 50 years thought. It is because of people like c.de baca that this world has stayed in the vile hate filled loop that it is in. He did the right thing by stepping down. Let us hope that he finds a job that will not let him spew his hate filled message. mabey at Mcdonalds .

Since: Sep 08

Cleveland, GA

#14 Sep 26, 2008
JB Williams wrote:
<quoted text> yes of course but as the dominant culture and ruling class they stll hold about 40% of all welfare recipients. I would have thought white people would have been able by now to rid themselves of poverty and get the entire white population working and acting as productive members of US society.
Just 40%? Unequal representation it appears.

So you think white people are superior to others? They are more intelligent and therefore more capable of overcoming obstacles? Judy, you surprise me. I never figured you for a white supremist.

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Sep 26, 2008
Dave Nelson wrote:
The fact of the matter is the entitlement programs are the basis of most racism toward blacks today.
Oh Yeah! that makes sense! And to think I always thought it was genetic - one got it from their parents. I did think that MAYBE ones environmental might be a factor. I guess I was a mistaken impression thinking racism existed to a much greater extent before those racist causing entitlement programs came onto the scene.

Thanks for clearing that up.
JB Williams

Powhatan Point, OH

#16 Sep 26, 2008
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Just 40%? Unequal representation it appears.
So you think white people are superior to others? They are more intelligent and therefore more capable of overcoming obstacles? Judy, you surprise me. I never figured you for a white supremist.
Dave I guess you are a bit dim. That is exactly the areguement used against black and other minorities on welfare. Saying a culture is Dominant merely means so population wise; which then places said culture in the position of creating policy that often times negatively affects the remainder of the population.Your ignorance always shows through when you try to get clever.

Since: Sep 08

Cleveland, GA

#17 Sep 26, 2008
Judy, you didn't make any sense.

Since: Sep 08

Cleveland, GA

#18 Sep 26, 2008
PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Yeah! that makes sense! And to think I always thought it was genetic - one got it from their parents. I did think that MAYBE ones environmental might be a factor. I guess I was a mistaken impression thinking racism existed to a much greater extent before those racist causing entitlement programs came onto the scene.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Roy, did you notice the today at the end of the sentence?
JB Williams

Powhatan Point, OH

#19 Sep 26, 2008
Dave Nelson wrote:
Judy, you didn't make any sense.
Sure I do, You are just unable to get it. Perhaps a sociology class at NNMCC would help you.
Darlene Sanchez

Santa Fe, NM

#20 Sep 26, 2008
I resent the fact that Mr. C de Baca assumed he
was speaking for all Hispanics. He does not speak for me or mine. Our family was always taught not to judge a person by what they looked like on the outside, but what they were like inside. HE DOES NOT SPEAK FOR ALL HISPANICS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Aug 15 Char 42
News Wind energy sweeps plains; course correction in... (Jan '09) Jul 28 bpayne37 21
News Former astronaut scoffs at global warming (Feb '09) Jul '16 Into The Night 2,406
News Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) Jun '16 Goldman Sachs 17
News Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) Jun '16 MarieCornwall 13
News 'Double dippers' fought legislation (May '09) Apr '16 concerned citizen 56
News Immigrant children to arrive at Holloman on Sunday (Jan '16) Feb '16 Sick of race card 52
More from around the web