Killer gets 30 years summer slaying

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

Photo: John La Bombard Sr. pats his son, John La Bombard, on the shoulder Tuesday during the younger mana TMs sentencing in District Court.
Comments
61 - 69 of 69 Comments Last updated Apr 10, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Umm

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

PC Chavez wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess you never met a Tapia?
Just one. Please explain.

Since: Jul 08

Springboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>OK Mr. Death Wish. We don't have laws that supercede vigilante justice. That would mess up your concept of society. Sorry!
You misunderstood my post. This turd was in a lifestyle chosen by him where he was running with a very bad crowd. When you run with the big dogs, you're gonna get pissed on. No vigilantism here...just stating facts.
Honestly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

Mike in Santa Fe wrote:
<quoted text>
You misunderstood my post. This turd was in a lifestyle chosen by him where he was running with a very bad crowd. When you run with the big dogs, you're gonna get pissed on. No vigilantism here...just stating facts.
"only Frank Segura is reponsible for his death" He shot himself in the back of the head? I guess the only thing I'd have to say is that a bigger turd actually pulled the trigger. Frank was kidnapped and murdered. Did he sign up for that? There is cause and effect but what you are saying is probably true for anyone that runs in that circle(s) so that is fair warning for others and a lesson in life (and death) that should be learned by all.
Well

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

PC Chavez wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess you never met a Tapia?
What about them? What is your reasoning for saying that?
Mind your biz

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2012

Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>Did you know the victim?
An yes we all did!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2012

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2012

A Friend

Fayetteville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Knew them both wrote:
I would first like to say that the police and newspapers have sugar coated this, the fact that Frankie DID rat and the fact that Labombard planed this. Many people inculding myself heard him say he was going to do it.
Who are you? Man you know way too much for my comfort haha. Anyway, I want to echo these sentiments, but expand on some regarding the characters of both Frank and Johnny: Frank was my best friend when he was murdered. We spent nearly every day of the week together. I knew Johnny too. I knew there was something off about him, but never thought something like this would happen. The people on here calling Frank a bad person because of his ties to dealing never met the man. First, let me make it clear that Frank was a soldier who was not once convicted of his trafficking or abuse charges. All were dismissed. Firstly, he was not abusive toward women. Leah, his fiance at the time of the murder, was a damn psycho and was the abusive one in that relationship. Frank may have defended himself against her a time or two, but what else can you do when being bashed in the head with a blunt object until you bleed? He should have controlled himself, but it's easier said than done when being attacked by someone. Secondly, he was one of the kindest, most respectable man I've met in my life. I've seen him claim he stole a car that he did not steal to save the driver any legal problems during a criminal case. I've also seen him claim that his friend's drugs were HIS drugs to save his friend from a charge. So even though he has a long rap sheet, he had NO convictions that kept him from having a proper military funeral, a beautiful funeral I might add, and from being buried in the military cemetery. The charges were also often the result of a fight between him and his girlfriend (like when Leah claimed he stole her credit cards, even though they shared finances and lived together, but got into an argument) or the result of Frank taking someone else's charge for them. Also, as far as Johnny goes, he didn't seem to have a conscience or empathy. However, he was damaged goods from his own military service. He was a foot man in the midst of the violence, whereas Frank worked in communications back when cell phone technology was just being introduced to the armed forces. I am not angry with Johnny anymore. Believe me, I used to be. However, I am angrier at the city police department for their hand in the murder and many other terrible incidents. I am also angrier at war and what it does to our children like Johnny. I often wonder what he was like before war. Also, as a very close friend and someone who was very privy to the case and even interrogated on video, I am thankful to Johnny for manning up and pleading guilty to life in prison to avoid a trial, which would have put us all in danger. He didn't need to plea out. He wouldn't have gotten the death penalty because it had been outlawed. He pled out to the maximum sentence when there was no murder weapon found. He would have received far less than the death penalty had it gone to trial; however, he wanted to spare us the backlash it would have caused. I love Frank. I think about him daily, but Johnny is not "evil," he is simply an insane man who should not be on the streets. And he won't be until his 60s. I wish I could have Frank back, but I can't. I wish I had known what was going on right under my nose, but I didn't. I wish I knew he'd die that night when I had talked to him hours prior, but I didn't. As any murder case, there are two families of victims and, in the end, it is an unbelievable tragedy no matter how you look at it. Rest in Peace, Frank. I love you.
MT SF filmmaker

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2014

A Friend wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you? Man you know way too much for my comfort haha. Anyway, I want to echo these sentiments, but expand on some regarding the characters of both Frank and Johnny: Frank was my best friend when he was murdered. We spent nearly every day of the week together. I knew Johnny too. I knew there was something off about him, but never thought something like this would happen. The people on here calling Frank a bad person because of his ties to dealing never met the man. First, let me make it clear that Frank was a soldier who was not once convicted of his trafficking or abuse charges. All were dismissed. Firstly, he was not abusive toward women. Leah, his fiance at the time of the murder, was a damn psycho and was the abusive one in that relationship. Frank may have defended himself against her a time or two, but what else can you do when being bashed in the head with a blunt object until you bleed? He should have controlled himself, but it's easier said than done when being attacked by someone. Secondly, he was one of the kindest, most respectable man I've met in my life. I've seen him claim he stole a car that he did not steal to save the driver any legal problems during a criminal case. I've also seen him claim that his friend's drugs were HIS drugs to save his friend from a charge. So even though he has a long rap sheet, he had NO convictions that kept him from having a proper military funeral, a beautiful funeral I might add, and from being buried in the military cemetery. The charges were also often the result of a fight between him and his girlfriend (like when Leah claimed he stole her credit cards, even though they shared finances and lived together, but got into an argument) or the result of Frank taking someone else's charge for them. Also, as far as Johnny goes, he didn't seem to have a conscience or empathy. However, he was damaged goods from his own military service. He was a foot man in the midst of the violence, whereas Frank worked in communications back when cell phone technology was just being introduced to the armed forces. I am not angry with Johnny anymore. Believe me, I used to be. However, I am angrier at the city police department for their hand in the murder and many other terrible incidents. I am also angrier at war and what it does to our children like Johnny. I often wonder what he was like before war. Also, as a very close friend and someone who was very privy to the case and even interrogated on video, I am thankful to Johnny for manning up and pleading guilty to life in prison to avoid a trial, which would have put us all in danger. He didn't need to plea out. He wouldn't have gotten the death penalty because it had been outlawed. He pled out to the maximum sentence when there was no murder weapon found. He would have received far less than the death penalty had it gone to trial; however, he wanted to spare us the backlash it would have caused. I love Frank. I think about him daily, but Johnny is not "evil," he is simply an insane man who should not be on the streets. And he won't be until his 60s. I wish I could have Frank back, but I can't. I wish I had known what was going on right under my nose, but I didn't. I wish I knew he'd die that night when I had talked to him hours prior, but I didn't. As any murder case, there are two families of victims and, in the end, it is an unbelievable tragedy no matter how you look at it. Rest in Peace, Frank. I love you.
I've known Leah for quite some time now. Nothing you say can be further from the truth. She is perhaps one of the most honest, selfless, caring, awesome beautiful souls I've met here in Santa Fe.. AND BELIEVE ME, THAT IS RARE AS HELL IN SANTA FE.. Police reports prove you wrong as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Search the The Santa Fe New Mexican Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Jul 13 Ken 2,199
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul 10 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun 30 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Apr '14 Lynne Loss 8
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3
•••

Santa Fe Conditions

(updated 1 hr ago)

Weather
Mostly Cloudy 67°F
Hi: 76°F
Lo: 57°F
Feels like: 67°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »