Killer gets 30 years summer slaying

Photo: John La Bombard Sr. pats his son, John La Bombard, on the shoulder Tuesday during the younger mana TMs sentencing in District Court. Full Story
Just wondering

Phoenix, AZ

#22 Jun 17, 2009
why on earth would he get to serve sentences for TWO SEPARATE CRIMES concurrently??
From the article: "In exchange for La Bombard's plea in that case, Albuquerque prosecutors agreed to have whatever sentence he receives for those crimes run concurrently with the life sentence he agreed to Tuesday in Santa Fe, Duran said. La Bombard faces up to 18 years in the Albuquerque case."
That agreement basically negates the sentence for the Abq crime. I'd be PISSED OFF if I were the victim or their family. How is that punishment?? He's already there anyway.
Tax Payer

Gefrees, Germany

#23 Jun 17, 2009
Great, now I have to pay taxes for 30 years to feed this Sicko in jail. He could eat and take some big ones up his hole in jail to keep him full.
Honestly

United States

#24 Jun 17, 2009
Linda wrote:
you can't believe everything you read in the papers. What LaBombard did was wrong. His family, however, is looking at what he did with clear eyes. Segura's family, however, is painting him out to be a saint. I'm not saying he deserved to die, I'm saying the road he was on it was inevitable that he would've ended up in prison or dead. He knew what his decisions would cost him and he chose to "help the police with the drug scene", because he would rather do that than face life in jail for his own drug trafficking and rape charges.
By the way, why isn't anyone saying anything about his accomplice only getting charged with 2nd degree murder and only facing a few years in jail?
As the victims of this crime as well, the family has author's liberty at the very least. The facts are that they will never see their son again so they have the right to paint them however they want to keep their memories. The murderer's family will get to go see him and watch over him to the extent possible. Thirty years is a lifetime to find humility, let's hope that it happens. Once the reprehensible act of capital murder takes place, the victim's life has very little to do with it. It is binary. He was taken away and that can't be fixed so please get off the family and their need to remember the victim in any way possible. Let it be you and see how you feel.
Honestly

United States

#25 Jun 17, 2009
Good job wrote:
Nice to see the new DA is collaring these criminals (its a welcome change). Good job Spence and Coleur.
I think the only deal she should have made in lieu of seeking the death sentence is life without possibility of parole. This was done in as cold blooded away possible. It was her responsibility to make sure the family understood the plea bargain and the associated sentence rather than just doing her legal obligation of "telling them". Regardless of the legal pickle the victim was in, the crime is not supposed to be adjudicated by a homicidal maniac.
MichaelMichael

Rio Rancho, NM

#26 Jun 17, 2009
This is the second flaw by District Attorney Angela "Spence" Pacheco! There should be no plea bargains! That was brutal what he did and should have received life with parole!
RET

Denver, CO

#27 Jun 17, 2009
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>I think the only deal she should have made in lieu of seeking the death sentence is life without possibility of parole.....
NM does not have "life without parole," nor does it have a "death penalty."
Hmmm

Gallup, NM

#28 Jun 17, 2009
bella tapia wrote:
John Sr Happy Father's Day father of the year!! and by the way two wrongs still dont make one right.
Did you know the victim?
Honestly

United States

#29 Jun 17, 2009
RET wrote:
<quoted text>
NM does not have "life without parole," nor does it have a "death penalty."
Thanks for clearing that up. I get carried when I watch a Law and Order marathon, I suppose. 30 years in the clink should do the trick in that case.
Steve Ortiz

Albuquerque, NM

#30 Jun 17, 2009
The DA's office really did drop the ball on this one. The guy stood to be sentenced with over 60+ years and instead of trying the case and getting 60+ years, he will only serve 30 years. I mean the guy only confessed to the police that he kidnapped and killed Segura and there was strong evidence to support his confession. Pure laziness on the part of the DA's office. Doesn't anyone within that office have any confidence in prosecuting a slam dunk case? I feel sorry for the Segura family who was lied to and manipultaed by the DA's office. I heard that some of the more seasoned prosecuting attorneys are leaving. I don't blame them. It is going to be a long four years!

Since: Jul 08

Los Alamos, NM

#31 Jun 17, 2009
Killers deserve to be killed, period. The only way to ensure they never kill again (including fellow inmates) is to execute them. Killers do not deserve to live, even if incarcerated, in a fair and just society. They have committed the ultimate sin against society, and society has the right to permanently remove them from it.
Steve Ortiz

Albuquerque, NM

#32 Jun 17, 2009
By the way, the 60+ years was just for the charges in Santa Fe for the brutal murder of Segura. And then why the he** would you agree to roll the 18 years for the Albuquerque charges into the mess? Very weak DA's office maybe.
Honestly

San Francisco, CA

#33 Jun 17, 2009
Steve Ortiz wrote:
The DA's office really did drop the ball on this one. The guy stood to be sentenced with over 60+ years and instead of trying the case and getting 60+ years, he will only serve 30 years. I mean the guy only confessed to the police that he kidnapped and killed Segura and there was strong evidence to support his confession. Pure laziness on the part of the DA's office. Doesn't anyone within that office have any confidence in prosecuting a slam dunk case? I feel sorry for the Segura family who was lied to and manipultaed by the DA's office. I heard that some of the more seasoned prosecuting attorneys are leaving. I don't blame them. It is going to be a long four years!
I agree 30 years for a capital murder case is unusual. Does anyone know if he will have to do every day? If so, that is the only up-side to this. The family seems to have been put aside when they cooked up this deal. We will see what happens to the second defendant who is (should be) just as complicit according to the law, unless NM has some more coddling statutes that will have him back on the street sooner than necessary. He should get twenty.
Linda

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Jun 17, 2009
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>As the victims of this crime as well, the family has author's liberty at the very least. The facts are that they will never see their son again so they have the right to paint them however they want to keep their memories. The murderer's family will get to go see him and watch over him to the extent possible. Thirty years is a lifetime to find humility, let's hope that it happens. Once the reprehensible act of capital murder takes place, the victim's life has very little to do with it. It is binary. He was taken away and that can't be fixed so please get off the family and their need to remember the victim in any way possible. Let it be you and see how you feel.
If it were me, I'd be trying to remember the good in my son and would mourn for his demise. I'd also be prepared for something like this to happen, knowing the kind of lifestyle he led.
I'm more annoyed with people, who don't even know either party or all the facts, getting so angry about this whole thing. There's nothing left to do, what's done is done and getting so upset is only hurting the person holding on to the anger.
lee

Albuquerque, NM

#35 Jun 17, 2009
John Thomas LaBombard Jr is not only an AMAZING uncle, but an exceptional father, brother, son, and friend.
No one is innocent.
Everyone dies.
Focus on the present and stop wallowing in the past.
Learn something or get over it.
lee

Albuquerque, NM

#36 Jun 17, 2009
bella tapia wrote:
John Sr Happy Father's Day father of the year!! and by the way two wrongs still dont make one right.
INDEED, GREATEST GRANDPA EVER!!!
Happy Father's day :] <3
Honestly

San Francisco, CA

#37 Jun 17, 2009
lee wrote:
John Thomas LaBombard Jr is not only an AMAZING uncle, but an exceptional father, brother, son, and friend.
No one is innocent.
Everyone dies.
Focus on the present and stop wallowing in the past.
Learn something or get over it.
Yep Mickey Mouse and Satan, all the same in God's eyes. No one's buying that c r a p !
Honestly

San Francisco, CA

#38 Jun 17, 2009
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were me, I'd be trying to remember the good in my son and would mourn for his demise. I'd also be prepared for something like this to happen, knowing the kind of lifestyle he led.
I'm more annoyed with people, who don't even know either party or all the facts, getting so angry about this whole thing. There's nothing left to do, what's done is done and getting so upset is only hurting the person holding on to the anger.
Sounds like you are trying to justify his death. He was killed by a homicidal maniac. Those are the facts and we are not a society that has ceded, to maggots, how and when justice should be meted. Play by the rules or rot in prison.
Honestly

San Francisco, CA

#39 Jun 17, 2009
Steve Ortiz wrote:
By the way, the 60+ years was just for the charges in Santa Fe for the brutal murder of Segura. And then why the he** would you agree to roll the 18 years for the Albuquerque charges into the mess? Very weak DA's office maybe.
They should have left the Albuquerque charges completely alone and have let them come after him separately. Could they have been trying to save the taxpayers some money? It has to be some quid pro quo going on for other cases maybe. Either that or it sounds like inexperience at trying capital murder charges. There is always that ilk of people from all professions who are simply lazy.
Linda

Albuquerque, NM

#40 Jun 17, 2009
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like you are trying to justify his death. He was killed by a homicidal maniac. Those are the facts and we are not a society that has ceded, to maggots, how and when justice should be meted. Play by the rules or rot in prison.
Maybe, or maybe I'm trying to see the other side of the coin. You asked me "what if it were you", well... what if your son or dad or brother killed someone? Would you write them off?
I believe a "homicidal maniac" is usually used for serial killers and ones who kill blindly anyone who is there at the time they're blood thirsty... I don't think the term applies here.
And I believe it's already been determined he will be rotting in prison, at least for thirty years.
Linda

Albuquerque, NM

#41 Jun 17, 2009
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>They should have left the Albuquerque charges completely alone and have let them come after him separately. Could they have been trying to save the taxpayers some money? It has to be some quid pro quo going on for other cases maybe. Either that or it sounds like inexperience at trying capital murder charges. There is always that ilk of people from all professions who are simply lazy.
All court cases are intricate. Perhaps there wasn't enough evidence in the Albuquerque case to insure a conviction. Or maybe having to cart him back and forth for each of the on going cases was a problem. Maybe they took what they could get instead of going to court, because they have an incredible work load and needed to spend their time on something more important. Compared to murder one, the Albuquerque thing wasn't a priority anymore. I'm sure it has more to do with man power than being lazy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'I'm glad it's over': Family, friends welcome c... (Oct '08) Oct 9 Your Family 31
Rodella eyes Rio Arriba sheriff's job (Apr '09) Sep 22 Darian Valdevia 30
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug '14 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug '14 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE