#21 Jul 1, 2009
pillo wrote:
h0la
Hola.┬┐Que tal?

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe, NM

#22 Jul 3, 2009
Buenos dias les de Dios!

We have made it again to Independence Day--the day that commemorates the birth of our great nation!

I hope that everyone takes a moment to think about our great Country while you are in line at the pancake breakfast or watching the fireworks at Santa Fe High. If you see a serevice man or veteran, thank them for their servicees to our Country. We have so much to be greatful for being citizens of the United States of America!

Have a happy and safe fourth!

PC Chavez

“Hee-hee-hee, snort!”

Laguna Beach/Santa Fe

#24 Jul 11, 2009
Buenos diaz (o tardes)!

Help! I need some good summer dishes. I will use my stove, but don't want to use my oven when it is hot.

Any ideas (besides restaurants and BBQing outside)? Thanks.

PC Chavez

“Hee-hee-hee, snort!”

Laguna Beach/Santa Fe

#25 Jul 11, 2009
Oops! That should have been "dias" with an "s." Perdoname.
Zorkon 756

Kihei, HI

#26 Jul 11, 2009
PC Chavez wrote:
Buenos diaz (o tardes)!
Help! I need some good summer dishes. I will use my stove, but don't want to use my oven when it is hot.
I don't know what it's called, if anything, but you could cook about 2 lbs of pinto beans or something until soft, mash them up, add chopped onions, red and green chilis and layer this in a large pan, with Frito dip chips and cheese, then place in refrigerator. If you do this right you might have something cold that's good for several days.

Use your imagination.

PC Chavez

“Hee-hee-hee, snort!”

Laguna Beach/Santa Fe

#27 Jul 11, 2009
Zorkon 756 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what it's called, if anything, but you could cook about 2 lbs of pinto beans or something until soft, mash them up, add chopped onions, red and green chilis and layer this in a large pan, with Frito dip chips and cheese, then place in refrigerator. If you do this right you might have something cold that's good for several days.
Use your imagination.
Sounds like the beginnings of the "Seven Layer Dip," and yes, a good idea. Thanks. Which also brings up the famous "Layered Salad."

AOL

#28 Jul 11, 2009
hi 2 u 2 pillo

what brings u 2 the chat room

Since: Oct 08

Perham, MN

#29 Jul 11, 2009
PC Chavez wrote:
Buenos diaz (o tardes)!
Gespacho, red pepper soup, melon soup, taco salads, fruit trees. One of my favorites is watermelon served with feta cheese, it is surprisingly delicious. Tuna salad with elbow macaroni, etc.

PC Chavez

“Hee-hee-hee, snort!”

Laguna Beach/Santa Fe

#30 Jul 13, 2009
Thanks guys. Keep em coming. I'll use the crackpot too, just not the oven in the summer.
Mixed

Santa Fe, NM

#31 Jul 13, 2009
Pablo Baca wrote:
Buenos dias les de Dios!
We have made it again to Independence Day--the day that commemorates the birth of our great nation!
I hope that everyone takes a moment to think about our great Country while you are in line at the pancake breakfast or watching the fireworks at Santa Fe High. If you see a serevice man or veteran, thank them for their servicees to our Country. We have so much to be greatful for being citizens of the United States of America!
Have a happy and safe fourth!
Wish I could say the same!!! Went to the post office the other day to sent some care packages to our soldiers in Afghanistan. There's this custom form that has to be filled out for each box sent overseas. Well I've never sent anything before, asked for help - 3 Postal employees, no other customer in the post office (Coronado on Pacheco)they were so rude, wouldn't or maybe it was cause they didn't know how to help me fill out the customs label correctly, I had to leave, with my packages and tears. I have a call to the Postmaster - I'm sure he'll call me back - someday!!!!!!!!!!

PC Chavez

“Hee-hee-hee, snort!”

Laguna Beach/Santa Fe

#32 Jul 13, 2009
PC Chavez wrote:
Thanks guys. Keep em coming. I'll use the crackpot too, just not the oven in the summer.
One of our awesome posters, Anna Garcia Futrell, can help you with this. I was sending packages to Iran and the post office provided these pre-made boxes for all you can fit for a cheap price (can't remember how much). Anyway, keep checking this thread and she'll probably give you the info before that postmaster ever calls you back. I'll try to e-mail her for you right now.
Mixed

Santa Fe, NM

#33 Jul 13, 2009
PC Chavez wrote:
<quoted text>
One of our awesome posters, Anna Garcia Futrell, can help you with this. I was sending packages to Iran and the post office provided these pre-made boxes for all you can fit for a cheap price (can't remember how much). Anyway, keep checking this thread and she'll probably give you the info before that postmaster ever calls you back. I'll try to e-mail her for you right now.
Where I was having a problem was filling out the customs label. I wanted to be sure it was filled out correctly, so my soldier would get his goodies. I had previously spoken to a soldier at the Armory who suggested I have my boxes unsealed so the Postal employee could see exactly what I was sending. When I first got to the Post Office the first thing that came out of their mouths were "Your boxes are not sealed - we can't send them like that". I tried to explain what the soldier had told me, another female worker put in her two cents worth "we're not customes - we don't inspect". It was good thing I took my own tape gun, I sealed all the boxes and the first guy then told me "You need to also put the address on the box itself". Once again I took my boxes aside and addressed every box (6) The third employee waved me over to his station, when he got my customs form,(Which by the way I filled out the best I knew how) he practically threw it at me and said "You need to discribe what your sending and how many!" That's when I broke down, took my boxes and tears and left the post office. Those workers are so mean, don't they realize I was trying to sent some goodies to my son who is stationed in Afghanistan?

AOL

#34 Jul 13, 2009
Mixed wrote:
<quoted text>Wish I could say the same!!! Went to the post office the other day to sent some care packages to our soldiers in Afghanistan. There's this custom form that has to be filled out for each box sent overseas. Well I've never sent anything before, asked for help - 3 Postal employees, no other customer in the post office (Coronado on Pacheco)they were so rude, wouldn't or maybe it was cause they didn't know how to help me fill out the customs label correctly, I had to leave, with my packages and tears. I have a call to the Postmaster - I'm sure he'll call me back - someday!!!!!!!!!!
Call Tom Udall's office. He is our Senator and should be there to help in a situation like this.

You may contact the VFW or the recruiting offices in Santa Fe Place Mall. Maby they can help you with the forms.

I can't believe this would happen. Thank you for supporting our troops.

AOL

#35 Jul 13, 2009
Mixed wrote:
<quoted text>Where I was having a problem was filling out the customs label. I wanted to be sure it was filled out correctly, so my soldier would get his goodies. I had previously spoken to a soldier at the Armory who suggested I have my boxes unsealed so the Postal employee could see exactly what I was sending. When I first got to the Post Office the first thing that came out of their mouths were "Your boxes are not sealed - we can't send them like that". I tried to explain what the soldier had told me, another female worker put in her two cents worth "we're not customes - we don't inspect". It was good thing I took my own tape gun, I sealed all the boxes and the first guy then told me "You need to also put the address on the box itself". Once again I took my boxes aside and addressed every box (6) The third employee waved me over to his station, when he got my customs form,(Which by the way I filled out the best I knew how) he practically threw it at me and said "You need to discribe what your sending and how many!" That's when I broke down, took my boxes and tears and left the post office. Those workers are so mean, don't they realize I was trying to sent some goodies to my son who is stationed in Afghanistan?
This is NOT right. Contact me at my email address pobaca at aol dot com.(Had to format it that way so it would be sent on topic). I would like to help you if I can.

PC Chavez

“Hee-hee-hee, snort!”

Laguna Beach/Santa Fe

#36 Jul 13, 2009
Good idea, Pablo! Let some of those VFW's know about this and give the post office what for.

Since: Oct 08

Perham, MN

#37 Jul 13, 2009
just remind those people that they are working for you!
Anna Garcia Futrell

Albuquerque, NM

#38 Jul 13, 2009
Hola! Had a funny middle-aged chicana joke on my phone but accidently deleted it. No one would really understand except for us here.

As for the boxes (thanks, PC!), you do need to seal them. There are restrictions on stuff you can send (no Maxxim, swimsuit stuff, mouthwash, etc) and Kirtland's Airmen & Family Readiness Center can help out w/the listing.

On the customs tag, simply guestimate what you have and it's worth or what you paid for it. If you have grouped items such as candy, simply list "candy" and an amount ($5.00). PC is right, there are flat rate boxes that generally run $11 to $17 dollars regardless and are super if you mail stuff often. If you're sending expensive items, have it insured. Let me know if this helps. Again, you can call Kirtland's operator and ask for the number to the center I mentioned above and they can help you. If you have access to the base, even better.
chatterbox87501

United States

#39 Jul 13, 2009
This site might help with those care packages:

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request... {9f1f40e0-7025-11de-c43f-00000 0000000}&event=1&view( )=c{12e7d180-57e2-11dc-51b6-00 0000000000}&objectId=& eksObjectId=&objectType=Ca se&isJumpEnabled=false &isContentJumpEnabled=fals e&vendorKey=&objTitle= &versionId=2261&search Properties=type:natural&na turalAdvance=false&allStr= &phraseStr=&anyStr= &noneStr=&keywordStr= &tTitle=&topicFromSub= &topicsORSubUrl=&repor t(0000)=p{ceff8d00-6974-11dd-e 6c4-000000000000}&bcobject Id={ceff8d00-6974-11dd-e6c4-00 0000000000}&search=militar y&topicAndSubtopic=Custome r%20Service$ALL
chatterbox87501

United States

#40 Jul 13, 2009
Try this, from here:

http://www.usps.com/supportingourtroops/

Go to Support our troops FAQ's
goofygirl

Mexico

#41 Jul 13, 2009
a simple, small table build from 1 piece of 1" x 6" x 6' pine will cost you $35 in a carpenter shop in centro Merida. Go cry in your beer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former astronaut scoffs at global warming (Feb '09) Jul 1 Into The Night 2,406
News Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) Jun 29 Goldman Sachs 17
News Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) Jun '16 MarieCornwall 13
News 'Double dippers' fought legislation (May '09) Apr '16 concerned citizen 56
News Immigrant children to arrive at Holloman on Sunday (Jan '16) Feb '16 Sick of race card 52
News Ernestine Hagman (Dec '09) Feb '16 jeremy ortiz 2
News Updated 3 p.m.: Alleged broken promises leave c... (Oct '09) Feb '16 Anonymous 5
More from around the web