Agency says killings hamper Mexican gray wolf comebac

ALBUQUERQUE a ' The Fish and Wildlife Service said Friday an effort to reintroduce endangered Mexican gray wolves to the Southwest is being hampered by illegal killings. Full Story

Since: Nov 08

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Feb 6, 2009
You know... there's not really much you can say about an article such as this. Me? I'm a big proponent of the protection and reestablishment of the wolves. They are beautiful animals, but they are also animals that are attached to the wild. If ANYONE EVER contemplates removing one.. i would only PRAY that they would contact me first.
Mularkey

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Feb 7, 2009
The Mexican gray wolf comeback is hampered primarily by two factors only: the US Fish and Wildlife's REFUSAL to follow the recommendations of its biologists for managing the wolves along with the Bush administration's REFUSAL to investigate and prosecute the criminals who are killing the wolves. The head of the US Fish and Wildlife Service should be FIRED and replaced with someone who will do his or her job.
Dont believe it

Rio Rancho, NM

#3 Feb 7, 2009
Now they are blaming this on the Mexicans too! When will the racism stop?!
The rest of the story

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Feb 7, 2009
To be complete, this story should also note the cost so far per warm-and-fuzzy reintroduced predator to the over-burdened taxpayer, and the costs, direct and indirect, to the ranching families and rural communities who are unwillingly seeing their pets, horses and livestock being served up too often for dinner(oh, but it's OK because they are being "compensated" for their losses - NOT!)
There

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Feb 7, 2009
The rest of the story wrote:
To be complete, this story should also note the cost so far per warm-and-fuzzy reintroduced predator to the over-burdened taxpayer, and the costs, direct and indirect, to the ranching families and rural communities who are unwillingly seeing their pets, horses and livestock being served up too often for dinner(oh, but it's OK because they are being "compensated" for their losses - NOT!)
are lots of lies being spread about this. Whenever you try to get to the facts, this part of the "story" has proven to be way overstated.
Eideard

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Feb 7, 2009
I've seen 2 and no way will I tell you where!

Since: Oct 08

Questa, NM

#7 Feb 7, 2009
There wrote:
<quoted text>
are lots of lies being spread about this. Whenever you try to get to the facts, this part of the "story" has proven to be way overstated.
Let's see one cow 1 year of age killed, in her life time she could have produced lets say 25 calfs, 7,000 gallons of milk, her off spring could have produced say 625 off spring and their off spring would number about 15,625 etc...I'll send you a bill for 6.2 million dollars for that one cow....
Mark Wright

United States

#8 Feb 7, 2009
Reffering to Tuggle's statement ( 3rd para from the end of article ):

" I think we need to look more at biology and make determinations about what the wolves are telling us vs what we think we know about wolves."

One thing that seems rather obvious is that it's the wolf population on the "backends" ie farther west in the Blue Range that is holding together ( actually increasing ).

The Front end wolves ( farther east and mostly in New Mexico ) are not going to make it...they are in general decline.

Reasons are: the front end wolves are in fact a line bred wolf with Less hybrid vigor ( genetically much different ) than the western wolves.

Less vigor translates directly to lower survivability factors and rates.

If? the govt had given the eastern line and extra 2 generations of outcrossing while raised in captivity....then the afore equation would be highly survivable.

They did Not, thus the eastern wolf mission was actually doomed before turnout...that simple.

Granted the eastern wolf end was also dumped out on the very easily accessable Eastern Fronts of the Blues Range.

The govt seemed to only want an easy drive to where they dumped em ( right on the dirt roads at times ).

An Area where KNOWN interference for BOTH the people And the wolves would take place ( govt perhaps anticipating plenty of added legal jobs there ).
Maxi

UK

#9 Feb 1, 2012
The Mexican gray wolf comeback is hampered primarily by two factors only: the US Fish and Wildlife's REFUSAL to follow the recommendations of its biologists for managing the wolves along with the Bush administration's REFUSAL to investigate and prosecute the criminals who are killing the wolves. The head of the US Fish and Wildlife Service should be FIRED and replaced with someone who will do his or her job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) 17 hr Paul Szeman 12
'The Awakening' lies dormant amid legal dispute (Oct '09) Dec 7 cfb 26
Judge Ray Ortiz committed to improving S.F (Jan '09) Nov 22 GEORGIA 9
Lawsuit against S.F. bicycle shop sees delays (May '09) Nov '14 Felicity 16
Otero County rejects spaceport tax (Nov '08) Nov '14 skidmark 19
Tiny Town's final days (Jul '09) Nov '14 donbga 3
'I'm glad it's over': Family, friends welcome c... (Oct '08) Oct '14 Your Family 31
More from around the web