Summer days invite return of graffiti

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

As a homeowner in the Tierra Contenta ghetto, I am particularly sensitive to the issue of graffiti.
Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Nov 24, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
RandyNason

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

Fox certainly knows a good rumor when it sees one. It just can't seem to tell fantasy from fact.
David R. Anderson

I put the GOP’s favorite news source and tea-bagging buddy Fox on the same playing field as The National Enquirer, except that TNE has some basis of fact and makes some attempt at proving its' facts.
Gloria Mendoza

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

Tierra Contenta GHETTO? If this is how you feel about your neighborhood..........You need to relocate!

“What, Me Worry?”

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

RandyNason wrote:
Fox certainly knows a good rumor when it sees one. It just can't seem to tell fantasy from fact.
David R. Anderson
I put the GOP’s favorite news source and tea-bagging buddy Fox on the same playing field as The National Enquirer, except that TNE has some basis of fact and makes some attempt at proving its' facts.
Randy thinks the DailyKOS is gospel. He also has quite an interest in teabagging. Nothing wrong in being gay Randy.
Brian David Lansrud-Lopez

Los Alamos, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

Gloria Mendoza wrote:
Tierra Contenta GHETTO? If this is how you feel about your neighborhood..........You need to relocate!
Two years ago, the area was beautiful. My wife and I were delighted to have a new home in a new neighborhood. In very short order, the walls have become covered in graffiti or graffiti cover up; the sidewalks are overrun with weeds and the streets are filled with garbage. The area is managed by the Santa Fe Housing Trust - established to make housing available to low-income families in areas in which they could not otherwise afford to live. Those of us who paid what was market value in 2007 can not and should not simply "relocate." The area has potential to be a wonderful place to live provided effort is made to keep it livable. The city can not do it, so the citizens must. If those who are willing to fight this relocate, what will the area become? In that instance "ghetto" would be a term of affection.
SMB

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

Toucan, you deserve every negative vote you get for your comment "Randy thinks the DailyKOS is gospel. He also has quite an interest in teabagging. Nothing wrong in being gay Randy."
What in the world does anyone being gay have to do with the topic? Why did you choose a pejorative term that immature kids use to put down someone else?

“What, Me Worry?”

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

SMB wrote:
Toucan, you deserve every negative vote you get for your comment "Randy thinks the DailyKOS is gospel. He also has quite an interest in teabagging. Nothing wrong in being gay Randy."
What in the world does anyone being gay have to do with the topic? Why did you choose a pejorative term that immature kids use to put down someone else?
Let's see ... at this time my original post has 5 positive votes and 2 negative. Your post has 5 negative, zero positive. You may want to re-evaluate your position.

Besides, Randy keeps bringing up tea-bagging. Do you not find that at least unusual?
so you

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

Toucan Tango wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see ... at this time my original post has 5 positive votes and 2 negative. Your post has 5 negative, zero positive. You may want to re-evaluate your position.
Besides, Randy keeps bringing up tea-bagging. Do you not find that at least unusual?
are switching between computers at the halfway rating yourself positive BFD.
Laura

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

I would like to know what the Santa Fe Graffiti Taskforce has done in the past year.

And yes, the overgrown chamisa and sage obstructs so many of the sidewalks in Tierra Contenta that I've been forced to push my baby's stroller in the street when we walk to the library. That, and the stray or unleashed dogs who run up to us, makes a trip to the library for "Books and Babies" (which I do thank the city for providing) a hazardous adventure. At least we have the graffiti and multi-colored patchwork cover-up to look at on our way?
Henry

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

It still beats living here. http://www.youtube.com/user/RioArribaTenants . The New Mexican should do a story on this!!!
Miklos

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Well, Tierra Contenta residents, here is a really great offer: on the first Saturday of each month, from 10AM to Noon, Councilor Dominguez sits at Miklo's Coffee Hosue waiting to meet with neighbors about any concerns or issues they would like to bring up. Councilor Dominguez can only assist with matters that are brought to his attention. He cannot be at all places at all times. It is up to us as residents of this area to let him know what we need his help with. Feel free to stop by and let him know you appreciate his hard work and the personal time he is taking out of his weekend to meet with us!!

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Miklos wrote:
Well, Tierra Contenta residents, here is a really great offer: on the first Saturday of each month, from 10AM to Noon, Councilor Dominguez sits at Miklo's Coffee Hosue waiting to meet with neighbors about any concerns or issues they would like to bring up. Councilor Dominguez can only assist with matters that are brought to his attention. He cannot be at all places at all times. It is up to us as residents of this area to let him know what we need his help with. Feel free to stop by and let him know you appreciate his hard work and the personal time he is taking out of his weekend to meet with us!!
I have spoken to Councilor Dominguez on 2 occasions, the mayor once, and the governor's office about this very matter. As another comment implies, the city officials defer to the mayor's Graffiti Task Force which has yet to take any action, as far as I can tell. The city always sympathizes but never solves the problem or effectively mitigates the damage done by graffiti. In fact, I saw two new tags along Valentine Way, one of the more heavily abused streets, on my way home this evening.
Son of Rome

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

Southside gansta graffiti, or Westside Crew graffiti, or just the individual freeform garbage?

If gangster, then ask the police to patrol your neighborhood more often. Or put up some cameras, and out them yourself.
Please

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

Judged:

Funny Local wrote:
I laughed my arse off at the retard that was fried at the power station last year, I hope that it happens 100 times this summer.
..explain the name you're using. So far it has had no relevance to any of the posts you've made. Oh, and why so bitter?
Miklos

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Son of Rome wrote:
Southside gansta graffiti, or Westside Crew graffiti, or just the individual freeform garbage?
If gangster, then ask the police to patrol your neighborhood more often. Or put up some cameras, and out them yourself.
Indeed, Grafitti Art though is different from tagging which is garbage and has "gang" affiliation. If people are upset about the lack of action on the part of the Task Force, then call up and find out how to JOIN the Task Force. Remember that those serving on these Task Force committees are VOLUNTEERS. ALL in the City Different need to be proactive. Use your cell phone cameras, and "capture" these punks. Come by Miklo's and we can talk about organizing neighborhood watch programs, especially now that summer is here, nights are longer and youth are BORED.

“What, Me Worry?”

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Judged:

Miklos wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, Grafitti Art though is different from tagging which is garbage and has "gang" affiliation. If people are upset about the lack of action on the part of the Task Force, then call up and find out how to JOIN the Task Force. Remember that those serving on these Task Force committees are VOLUNTEERS. ALL in the City Different need to be proactive. Use your cell phone cameras, and "capture" these punks. Come by Miklo's and we can talk about organizing neighborhood watch programs, especially now that summer is here, nights are longer and youth are BORED.
Any "Art" that is sprayed on someone else's property without permission is grafitti ... I don't care how "beautiful" it is.

“What, Me Worry?”

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

sorry ... gaffiti

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2009

Miklos wrote:
<quoted text>
The task force is chosen by the mayor. I applied and was not asked to serve. Neighborhood watches are fine, but the city needs to put forth the resources to clean up what has been done.
Dont want

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Don't want grafitti? Then don't invite the gangs into town on a red carpet. How do you do that? Discontinue SF as sanctuary city, duh!

Here comes MS 13. Have you seen the artcles in the ABQ Journal lately? Get ready and send thank you notes to Mayor coss for bringing this here, along with Bushee and wurzie.
Right

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Dont want wrote:
there were no gangs before. Don't be a liar.
Cynic

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Judged:

Dont want wrote:
Don't want grafitti? Then don't invite the gangs into town on a red carpet. How do you do that? Discontinue SF as sanctuary city, duh!
Here comes MS 13. Have you seen the artcles in the ABQ Journal lately? Get ready and send thank you notes to Mayor coss for bringing this here, along with Bushee and wurzie.
Wow, is there a bell in your head that rattles around when your head bobbles from side to side?

Gangs have been a problem in Santa Fe for at LEAST 30 years. Granted, the local gangs, brought up and trained through the boys club, haven't traditionally reveled in violence like MS 13; but MS13 has very little influence here. Albuquerque sure, but we're only seeing a beginning here in Santa Fe.

It's easy to blame an outside influence, instead of taking responsibility for our own, home-grown criminals, isn't it?

BTW, gang prevention programs in schools are about as effective as drug prevention programs.(i.e. not at all). It's time for a new take on the problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug 13 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug 8 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••