Letters to the editor for May 31, 2009

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

The Santa Fe Underage Drinking Prevention Alliance congratulates Santa Fe County commissioners, Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office and the Santa Fe County DWI program for their commitment and persistence in implementing the DWI Vehicle Seizure Ordinance.
Comments
61 - 64 of 64 Comments Last updated Jan 24, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
single payer

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2009

Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Insurance is a problem, but why should it be the problem of the employer?
It should be a right - problem solved.

“Hee-hee-hee, snort!”

Since: Sep 08

Laguna Beach/Santa Fe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2009

Class action wrote:
<quoted text>
Class action lawsuits are caused in many respects because lawyers dream something up against large corporations with deep pockets. They often times are not legitimate positions, but brought forward because some law firm wants to make a killing. You know it, and I know it and we all pay for it in the end.
But in the cases of Wal-Mart, they are already done and Wal-Mart has lost and the settlements are in the billions, plus extremely heavy fines by the government. Yet, there are still many more cases that are ongoing and have not yet been settled.

Keep in mind that it is extremely expensive to bring on a class action lawsuit. Fronting the costs, alone, can be in the millions.(Costs include depositions, witnesses, expert witnesses, travel expenses for depositions, lawyers and expert witnesses and non-expert witnesses, copying charges, binding, filing fees, printing, research, Westlaw, etc., etc.).

“JustAThought”

Since: Feb 09

northern NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Class action wrote:
<quoted text>
Class action lawsuits are caused in many respects because lawyers dream something up against large corporations with deep pockets. They often times are not legitimate positions, but brought forward because some law firm wants to make a killing. You know it, and I know it and we all pay for it in the end.
In the case of Walmart, these were fully justified class-action suits. Walmart does not give a darn about employees, community or America. They put profits before all else. Even in a capitalistic society, there should be a balance, at least there used to be before corporations put profits ahead of people.
Robert Tiano

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2011

Frank Stewart wrote:
I'll say it again because neither Gloria or Enrique decided to respond on the previous thread.
Gloria,
I asked you if I was still considered local because I oppose Walmart and their labor practices (google W-M and forced overtime) and discrimination both sexual and racial agendas(google walmart and discrimination). Remember from the prior thread, we're not rich (mom retired schoolteacher, dad retired state worker, families been here for multiple generations). We may not have much, but we try and shop locally as much as we can because we support those "greedy" small business owners that are our friends, neighbors and relatives. I really doubt that we are part of the "majority" of Santa Feans that want to see any megastore in SF that will put our friends, family and neighbors out of business. Is that what you want to see happen, if so then why not live in Rio Rancho or some other place that has lost it's individuality and uniqueness to corporate greed all in the name of saving a couple of bucks.
As an example remember a great place called Tiano's sporting goods. They were local, they knew us, our parents and our kids. They were also my mom's neighbors. Their gone now because stuff was a little cheaper at w-m and kmart and so on. I miss them and regret the loss of every "selfish" small business owner that closes down because of a giant mega corporation that employs unfair competitive tactics to get rid of "selfish" small business owners.
Frank I am the son of the man that owned Tiano's Sporting Goods. Although you may remember him as being a great guy. he is the most racist person I have ever known. He would call all the Hispanic people behind their backs all kinds of names. I remember one of my friends was Hispanic (2nd generation American). I brought him by the house and my father kicked him out and I was told never to bring another dirty **** into his home again. I also know when my dad sold the store he was making great profits from overcharging for everything he knew when the competition came to town he wouldn't be-able to screw the people of Santa Fe any more. The Spanish family that bought the store lost it all. of course he failed to disclose any of the insider info he had in regards to the formation competition and retired a multimillionaire.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug 13 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug 8 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3

Search the The Santa Fe New Mexican Forum:

Santa Fe Conditions

(updated 59 min ago)

Weather
Sporadic Clouds 85°F
Hi: 84°F
Lo: 57°F
Feels like: 80°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »