Letters to the editor for May 31, 2009

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

The Santa Fe Underage Drinking Prevention Alliance congratulates Santa Fe County commissioners, Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office and the Santa Fe County DWI program for their commitment and persistence in implementing the DWI Vehicle Seizure Ordinance.
Comments
1 - 20 of 64 Comments Last updated Jan 24, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
RandyNason

Santa Fe, NM

#1 May 31, 2009
What a shame that our tolerant city is at the mercy of these small-minded and selfish merchants. We in Santa Fe need that new Wal-Mart!
Dennis Taylor

Why? So you can do your convenient one-stop shopping at discount prices to help pay workers' salaries to the tune of pennies on the dollar in third-world countries where human rights are not observed? Are you really that selfish?
RandyNason

Santa Fe, NM

#2 May 31, 2009
Draft-dodging, Constitution-trashing Dick Cheney would rather follow fellow draft-dodger, pill-popping, thrice-divorced Palm Beach lounge lizard Rush Limbaugh into battle than four-star Gen. Colin Powell, who has served this nation honorably for more than 50 years. Talk about American values!
Alex Ross

Those aren't American values. Those are the interests of a deranged sociopath who would sell his soul for the unwavering allegiance of an army of conservative pus brains. The "man" is a cockroach.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#3 May 31, 2009
RandyNason wrote:
What a shame that our tolerant city is at the mercy of these small-minded and selfish merchants. We in Santa Fe need that new Wal-Mart!
Dennis Taylor
Why? So you can do your convenient one-stop shopping at discount prices to help pay workers' salaries to the tune of pennies on the dollar in third-world countries where human rights are not observed? Are you really that selfish?
Don't be ridiculous. Everyone has been selling Chinese goods for a while, even before WalMart did, including your boutiques and mom and pop shops. That was because manufacturing was outsourced a couple of decades ago. Those dividends from the labor savings have enriched many liberals.

WalMart has become the general store for America. From the consumer goods to the groceries, it has provided a means for remote and lower income areas to survive.
RandyNason

Santa Fe, NM

#4 May 31, 2009
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be ridiculous. Everyone has been selling Chinese goods for a while, even before WalMart did, including your boutiques and mom and pop shops. That was because manufacturing was outsourced a couple of decades ago. Those dividends from the labor savings have enriched many liberals.
WalMart has become the general store for America. From the consumer goods to the groceries, it has provided a means for remote and lower income areas to survive.
It's a corporate giant that needs to be curbed. W-M is fine for remote areas, but not for SF or anyplace where there are plenty of other alternatives with better quality and comparative prices.

Since: Sep 08

Santa Fe, NM

#5 May 31, 2009
To the SaveSunMountain crowd I ask what they would suggest to better preserve access to Sun Mountain than a small (12 homes) development that is 50% Open Space and has planned in continued access for the public to existing private trailheads. The proposed Mirasol development is NOT a ridgetop project, planned structures are no higher than existing nearby homes, the lot densities are sized well within current zoning, and as far as I can see from plan review, looks to be sensitive to local drainage and land features.
I don't see a better alternative to blocking over-development than to allow sensitive development, unless a private group steps up with $4 Million or so to buy it and then put into Conservation Trust.... Even then, would there be public access, or would we all be shut out? A Parking Lot?
I don't normally argue for development, and I do have concerns about infroastructure like drainage and sewer lines, but in this case I think it may well be the best way to PRESERVE public access to great trails and a wonderful mountain.
no way

Rio Rancho, NM

#6 May 31, 2009
RandyNason wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a corporate giant that needs to be curbed. W-M is fine for remote areas, but not for SF or anyplace where there are plenty of other alternatives with better quality and comparative prices.
WalMart is worse in remote areas, or in smaller communities, where WalMart does nothing but destroy the Mom and Pop stores.
Please

Rio Rancho, NM

#7 May 31, 2009
RandyNason wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't tell me where to shop. let the market help me determine where, what and for how much I buy something. I am pretty sick of the city of santa fe telling me how much i pay for something, where I can buy it, how much the employees are paid etc. All I know is this town is Expensive for everything, not just housing, and that is painful for the quickly declining middle class.
The Trend

Gillette, WY

#8 May 31, 2009
People like Randy Nason see what they want to see, believe what they want to believe, and are part of a cabal that can't understand (when they look up from their own self involvement) why the rest of the world doesn't think exactly like them.
Their liberal democratic self-righteousness omits the opinion of others, a contemporary democratic trait, in favor of their own personal vision of the way things actually are. Finger pointing at the same people with heightened venom indicates at least to me what they're not as opposed to what they profes to be.
This from someone who is not a Republican, nor a Democrat. Both sides are wrong, and you're destroying the country with your misguided partisanship.
Of course you'll blow this comment off, Nason, because it's more comfortable to wallow in your own sense of superiority to feel like the "revolution" is still alive and your individual opinioin counts.
Which it doesn't.
if WalMart

Rio Rancho, NM

#9 May 31, 2009
RandyNason wrote:
Dennis Taylor
would have been owned by democrats, all would be OK with them building a Superstore, right?

Don't hide this fact behind HUMAN RIGHTS.

Someone should tell the immigrants who might vote someday, the immigrants who shop at WalMart, that you democrats are using politics to try and make them pay more for essentials, they will vote Republican in droves.
Sigh

Gallup, NM

#10 May 31, 2009
RandyNason wrote:
Dennis Taylor
Isn't this the same thing you posted a week or so ago? What's wrong, can't drag anything new or original out of that narrow little closed mind of yours?
mindful shopper

Phoenix, AZ

#11 May 31, 2009
"What a shame that our tolerant city is at the mercy of these small-minded and selfish merchants. We in Santa Fe need that new Wal-Mart! Dennis Taylor Santa Fe"

What a shame that any human being on the planet thinks that anyone - anywhere - might NEED a new Wal-Mart. If it weren't for the high school drop outs and folks who only speak Spanish here in the United States, there wouldn't be many folks workng in Wal-Mart. What we NEED is an education system that works!
why are

Rio Rancho, NM

#12 May 31, 2009
mindful shopper wrote:
"What a shame that our tolerant city is at the mercy of these small-minded and selfish merchants. We in Santa Fe need that new Wal-Mart! Dennis Taylor Santa Fe"
What a shame that any human being on the planet thinks that anyone - anywhere - might NEED a new Wal-Mart. If it weren't for the high school drop outs and folks who only speak Spanish here in the United States, there wouldn't be many folks workng in Wal-Mart. What we NEED is an education system that works!
you so bigoted against people who only speak Spanish?

Are you one of those TOLERANT democrats?
Commenting

Santa Fe, NM

#13 May 31, 2009
"The bashing of a highly qualified nominee for the Supreme Court is so sleazy on the part of the extremist right wing that, if I were one of the normal conservative population, I would be embarrassed and ashamed of them."
Victoria Ryan, Santa Fe

Just like the sleazy extremist left-wing bashing of Clarence Thomas and Robert Bork, perhaps? I recall that Samuel Alito was bashed so much that his wife left the Senate chamber in tears. Is this another example of sleazy extremist left-wing behavior?

Yes, Victoria, you should have been embarrassed and ashamed, but I doubt that you were.
What

Santa Fe, NM

#14 May 31, 2009
Commenting wrote:
"The bashing of a highly qualified nominee for the Supreme Court is so sleazy on the part of the extremist right wing that, if I were one of the normal conservative population, I would be embarrassed and ashamed of them."
Victoria Ryan, Santa Fe
Just like the sleazy extremist left-wing bashing of Clarence Thomas and Robert Bork, perhaps? I recall that Samuel Alito was bashed so much that his wife left the Senate chamber in tears. Is this another example of sleazy extremist left-wing behavior?
Yes, Victoria, you should have been embarrassed and ashamed, but I doubt that you were.
a liar.
Commenting

Santa Fe, NM

#15 May 31, 2009
"Perhaps the Democratic Party should rename the Republican Party "'The Republic Fascist Party.'"
George Stone, Santa Fe

"it's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"
Mark Twain
David

Albuquerque, NM

#16 May 31, 2009
Please wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't tell me where to shop. let the market help me determine where, what and for how much I buy something. I am pretty sick of the city of santa fe telling me how much i pay for something, where I can buy it, how much the employees are paid etc. All I know is this town is Expensive for everything, not just housing, and that is painful for the quickly declining middle class.
Just do what I do...I bought special shoes here at a shoe store...paid $160.$10 alone in taxes...afterwards I went to the internet (shoebuy,com)and discovered I could have saved $40..no tax and free shipping. So now I go to the internet.
Commenting

Santa Fe, NM

#17 May 31, 2009
What wrote:
<quoted text>
a liar.
Ah, name calling, the last refuge of a liberal devoid of an argument.

“JustAThought”

Since: Feb 09

northern NM

#18 May 31, 2009
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but it is a large part of America's race to the bottom.
No One Important

Reddick, IL

#19 May 31, 2009
Walmart offers lower prices because of volume purchasing. Smaller stores cannot compete.

IF you need your smaller stores to survive, then SHOP at your smaller stores. Understand you will be paying 1.00 more for a smaller item, or 4.00 more for a package of something.

IF the american people weren't so strapped, they would UNDERSTAND that they could save their "local" stores, by shopping at those stores.

OTHERWISE, don't blame WM, blame YOURSELVES. If you want to pay .25 less for something, that is YOUR OWN FAULT.

Shop at the local stores, with local owners, who put the money into your local communities.

Otherwise, STFU and stop blaming everyone else for your own consuming habits.

Suck it up, fork it out, and shop at the local stores understanding you are saving a local vendor.

Otherwise, life rolls. Union wages drive UP the costs of things. Large retail shops can mass purchase, giving them a price edge.

Save your local stores yourselves by paying more. Your willing to pay MORE TAXES for stupid stuff, shouldn't you be willing to pay higher prices to save your local merchants?

If not, quit whining and grow up.

“JustAThought”

Since: Feb 09

northern NM

#20 May 31, 2009
No One Important wrote:
Walmart offers lower prices because of volume purchasing. Smaller stores cannot compete.
IF you need your smaller stores to survive, then SHOP at your smaller stores. Understand you will be paying 1.00 more for a smaller item, or 4.00 more for a package of something.
IF the american people weren't so strapped, they would UNDERSTAND that they could save their "local" stores, by shopping at those stores.
OTHERWISE, don't blame WM, blame YOURSELVES. If you want to pay .25 less for something, that is YOUR OWN FAULT.
Shop at the local stores, with local owners, who put the money into your local communities.
Otherwise, STFU and stop blaming everyone else for your own consuming habits.
Suck it up, fork it out, and shop at the local stores understanding you are saving a local vendor.
Otherwise, life rolls. Union wages drive UP the costs of things. Large retail shops can mass purchase, giving them a price edge.
Save your local stores yourselves by paying more. Your willing to pay MORE TAXES for stupid stuff, shouldn't you be willing to pay higher prices to save your local merchants?
If not, quit whining and grow up.
settle for less stuff. What is better 15 pairs of cheap shows from Walmart or 3-5 pairs of better made shoes that will outlast the cheap cr@p?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug 13 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug 8 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••