Editorial: Religious right on another...

Editorial: Religious right on another tear

There are 5 comments on the Santa Fe New Mexican story from Sep 23, 2010, titled Editorial: Religious right on another tear. In it, Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

Over in Texas today, it's looking as if the state's Board of Education will vote on a resolution to shake figurative fists at textbook publishers: If you expect to sell your books in this state, they'd better not reflect pro-Islamic, anti-Christian views.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Fe New Mexican.

“Science Geek”

Since: Aug 09

Cambridge, MA

#1 Sep 24, 2010
Texas, again [sigh] why don't they just abolish all textbooks and teach only the bible?

Here is an excerpt from the editorial that I could not agree with more:

"But today's vote in Texas, however it goes, is a message to the textbook business: Be wary of bias; keep your words objective and let your readers, young as they are, think for themselves".

Since: Nov 08

Boise, ID

#2 Sep 24, 2010
Lissa Marie wrote:
Texas, again [sigh] why don't they just abolish all textbooks and teach only the bible?
Here is an excerpt from the editorial that I could not agree with more:
"But today's vote in Texas, however it goes, is a message to the textbook business: Be wary of bias; keep your words objective and let your readers, young as they are, think for themselves".
Letting religion masquerade as science is not "letting kids think for themselves".

Besides, has anyone ever said that kids can't go to church where they can learn about these things?

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

#3 Sep 27, 2010
Erasmus05 wrote:
<quoted text>
Letting religion masquerade as science is not "letting kids think for themselves".
Besides, has anyone ever said that kids can't go to church where they can learn about these things?
Apparently they are not satisfied with 100% ownership of the pulpit, they want the classroom lectern as well.
suz

AOL

#4 Sep 27, 2010
yay eras and ted !!!!

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Oct 5, 2010
They have the freedom to teach their religion to their children in their homes and churches. Why is that not good enough? They want to force their religious mythology onto other people's children via the science classrooms of our public schools. Fortunately, the courts, and the voters of Dover, PA, have found that "creation science" and "intelligent design" are religion, not science.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) May 14 Captain Crunch 2,218
News Muslim group wants probe into New Mexico Quran ... Mar '17 kennedy_christian 1
News Report: ICE arrests five in Albuquerque Feb '17 lambert 12
News In deep hole, a chance for economic improvement Jan '17 rmeghan34 1
News Judge refuses to split charges in sex solicitat... (Sep '16) Sep '16 The Truth 1
News Home sweet home school (Dec '08) Sep '16 Mr Coach 8
News New jury system aims to ease burden of duty (Sep '09) Sep '16 Jeanne Scripps 5
More from around the web