Bumper crop has plenty of people out picking pinon

Photo: Stevie Swazo, 20, picks pinon seeds along Old Las Vegas Highway on Friday. Full Story
Marian Becenti

Gallup, NM

#1 Oct 18, 2008
I'm selling pinons by the pound for $15. Fresh crop just picked 3 days ago. mparkett@yahoo.com
Hector_Sanchez

Littleton, CO

#2 Oct 19, 2008
If you need money in these troubled economic times, how about picking more piñon than you need? My brother sold 50 lbs. to the people at www.madeinnewmexico.com . He had to roast them and salt them in-the-shell, but our abuelo showed us how to do that when we were kids so that was no problem.(There are also a couple of other companies on the Internet: www.pinonnuts.com and www.newmexicopinonnut.com , but I don't know anything about them.)

I've always wondered...how come there aren't commercial piñon farms?
pintada kid

Akron, OH

#3 Oct 21, 2008
Ive Roasted Several Thousand Pounds of Pinon in my lifetime and its not easy to Roast Pinon. Also Gas is Very Expensive and you need to run your oven at 300 degrees for at least an hour but sometimes it could end up being two and three hours or more on just one batch if you dont know how to Roast Pinon. As for Farms forget that i would think that Pinon and Rabbits and possibly Firewood are the Last Giveaways the Government has for the People. The Pinon Nut is a Delicacy if you know how to Roast and Salt it. el pintada kid
KD Murphy

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Oct 21, 2008
Pintada - Microwave. They turn out great.
Don Diego

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Oct 21, 2008
"Eldorado resident Lawrence Catanach, 57, was arrested earlier this week on charges of battery against a household member after he argued with the victim "over the picking and giving away of piñon nuts,"

Yikes! Sounds like they had a major difference of a Pinon!
JB WIlliams

Powhatan Point, OH

#6 Oct 21, 2008
Don Diego wrote:
"Eldorado resident Lawrence Catanach, 57, was arrested earlier this week on charges of battery against a household member after he argued with the victim "over the picking and giving away of piñon nuts,"
Yikes! Sounds like they had a major difference of a Pinon!
hilarious
dino

Forney, TX

#7 Oct 24, 2008
can u let me know were i can sell pinons at dinosaur5361@yahoo.com
Mary B

Eldon, MO

#8 Nov 6, 2008
I have sold pinons to Goods From The Woods, www.pinenut.com . They are very good to work with. No problems, fast pay and very nice people.
Otherwise, try e-bay. You can get a good price there.
pintada kid

Akron, OH

#9 Nov 6, 2008
I have roasted pinon in the Microwave in a bag but i like the taste when done in the oven or over a Campfire in a Cast iron pan thats the quickest way and it taste delicious done that way. el pintada kid
Liesa

United States

#10 Nov 9, 2008
I would LOVE to buy some pinons! I miss that so much, as they are not available here in Mississippi. Can anyone post for availability?
Liesa

United States

#11 Nov 9, 2008
I must say that 26$ per pound is ridiculous! I won't pay that for pinons. Wow!
pintada kid

Akron, OH

#12 Nov 10, 2008
Picking Pinon One by One on the Ground and it might take an hour to pick a lb also the expense in lunch and Gasoline and its almost an all day event and if you get lucky and can pick 10 lbs in one day you have paid for your pains and expenses. el pintada kid
David

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Nov 20, 2008
you can sell to the locals if you get alot, pinon nuts.com or newmexicopinonnuts.com ... they meet where your picking,
Mandy

AOL

#14 Nov 30, 2008
I'm new to Santa Fe and just bought some pinon nuts in shell, not roasted. How do I roast them and take the shell off? Do I take the shell off before or after I roast them. THanks so much for your advice! Mandy
Pintada Kid

Akron, OH

#15 Nov 30, 2008
To Roast Pinon you Clean it first of Rocks and Rat Turds and Rabbit turds. Then you Wash it in a Strainer in Cold Water. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and when you put in the Pam with the Wet Washed pinon add the Salt and put plenty i coat my pinon and mix and coat again. You only mix it about half a dozen times in that hour so the salt wont drop off. When its Roasted a Crunchy yellowish the nut inside is done now cool it down Fast so it wont burn because its still cooking inside the shell. One pint size freezer bag wont hold quite a lb of Salted Roasted Pinon. KID TIP.. Hantivirus is one reason you shouldnt test the Pinon thats on the Ground without Washing it but i didnt want to bring that up but its a Real Danger that no one Speaks about along with Rattlesnakes and Spiders and small Cactus on the Ground. el pintada kid
Si A

Glenwood, NM

#16 Jan 22, 2009
you seem to know alot about pinon and the hantivirus.how many people have gotten the hativirus from pinon?
Pintada Kid wrote:
To Roast Pinon you Clean it first of Rocks and Rat Turds and Rabbit turds. Then you Wash it in a Strainer in Cold Water. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and when you put in the Pam with the Wet Washed pinon add the Salt and put plenty i coat my pinon and mix and coat again. You only mix it about half a dozen times in that hour so the salt wont drop off. When its Roasted a Crunchy yellowish the nut inside is done now cool it down Fast so it wont burn because its still cooking inside the shell. One pint size freezer bag wont hold quite a lb of Salted Roasted Pinon. KID TIP.. Hantivirus is one reason you shouldnt test the Pinon thats on the Ground without Washing it but i didnt want to bring that up but its a Real Danger that no one Speaks about along with Rattlesnakes and Spiders and small Cactus on the Ground. el pintada kid
mario

Westminster, CO

#18 Feb 26, 2009
Hector, I have a question. I brought pinons from Mexico and i tried to roast them but they didn't come out good. Its my first time I do this. Do you think that there is a difference between the pinons from New Mexico and Mexico?
Kim

Loveland, CO

#20 Aug 2, 2010
Hector_Sanchez wrote:
If you need money in these troubled economic times, how about picking more piñon than you need? My brother sold 50 lbs. to the people at www.madeinnewmexico.com . He had to roast them and salt them in-the-shell, but our abuelo showed us how to do that when we were kids so that was no problem.(There are also a couple of other companies on the Internet: www.pinonnuts.com and www.newmexicopinonnut.com , but I don't know anything about them.)
I've always wondered...how come there aren't commercial piñon farms?
How do you roast them?
pintada kid

Clovis, NM

#21 Nov 20, 2010
Someone mentioned about wanting to know the difference between the pinon from Mexico and the one from New Mexico. New Mexico has the best pinon with a soft shell and it tastes lots better then surrounding states including Mexico. Mexico has a Pinon with a Super hard shell also and very hard to eat. el pintada kid

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'I'm glad it's over': Family, friends welcome c... (Oct '08) Oct 9 Your Family 31
Rodella eyes Rio Arriba sheriff's job (Apr '09) Sep 22 Darian Valdevia 30
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug '14 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug '14 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE