Wal-Mart Supercenter will be a boon to Santa Fe

This is in reply to three recent letters, by Stan Bermann, John Molanphy and Barbara Aran, regarding their opposition to a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Reality

United States

#44 Jul 16, 2009
There is a True Value in Pojoaque. Nice people work there. But you won't find a local mom-and-pop owner there. It is a myth that all franchises are own by that nice old couple down the street or that they all promote American-made products.
Sanchez ta Feun

Rio Rancho, NM

#45 Jul 16, 2009
Sancho wrote:
<quoted text>
Sapo! More for Sancho after you drink all the 120 packs of beer you bought cheap from Wal-Mart and get arrested. Sancho will dance with your woman to the Al Hurricane CD. Sancho likes "La Mucura."
Orale Sancho, you can ask Conchita for a dance ese, bust a move, pero cuidado, she don't like maricons with breath like powerbait. Que chingow, think about it dog, you would have better suerte in TJ. Bueno, off to Walmart por me, I need some eye drops, a bullwhip a sheet of drywall and a pound of tonino all from Walmart, alachingada.
HAters

Albuquerque, NM

#46 Oct 27, 2010
I agree that shopping at Wal-Mart is supporting big business. BUT face facts its the cheapest place to feed a family and put clothes on their backs. New Mexico is not a wealthy state and it seems the population of the people that can't afford to shop at whole foods isn't being represented here. I recently moved here from Richmond Va where corporate and private business completely co-exists. Where itís easy to walk in to the grocery store and notice the difference in socio-economic status. If whole food, trader joes, and true value make you feel so great for spending your money there then we won't stop you. But who are you to stop the family of five that is living on half if not less then what you make in a year? Perhaps these same people aren't lucky enough to have a computer at home so they cant explain to you why they have less options. The one person who did speak up was judged as nutz and spam. Personally I am a college student and money isn't easy to come by. Perhaps one day when I am making significantly more money I will be able to proudly turn my nose up to Wal-Mart shoppers and shame them for their lack of world/business/economic education. Till then I will buy my produce at the farmers market (because it cheaper then what we got in VA) and I will buy my household items at Wally World.
-ps the person that changed my thoughts on wal-mart was a blind elderly woman who was living on her stipend from the gov't of $150 every two weeks. She looked forward to going there once a week and enjoyed seeing how far her money went. Shopping anywhere else just wasn't an option.
MBL

Albuquerque, NM

#47 Jul 25, 2011
ive worked since i was 15, did hollywood for many years in my late 20's and early 30's...made anywhere from 75-200 a day. now, i am 43 and at 2 years + 8 months of an injury and cant get any ssi benefits.

now, i live off of 200 a month and cant afford albertsons and smiths. that walmart on cerrilos SUCKS!!! it isnt a grocery one...so i NEED the south end store!!!

i used to have a decent car, wear nice clothes, eat shrimp and steak...but not anymore!!! dont knock walmart...u may not agree with their employment practices and putting smaller companies out of business...but times are hard and MANY PEOPLE have to shop where it is cheapest!!!
We The People

United States

#48 Jul 25, 2011
China Express coming soon.
whocare

Fort Worth, TX

#49 Jul 27, 2011
Stop alllllllll the complaining and crying over the new WSC. If u shop GREAT and if u DON'T shop there. SO BE IT!!!! Bigger Store with a lot more selections and a whole lot of savings. That's work for me. Moms & Pop.... Stores. Love you guys. But you guys gotta GO....
Frank Lee

Santa Fe, NM

#50 Sep 25, 2011
For those who care, a few years back, I believe something like 2007 or 2008 Tupperware went out of business. Instead of being a staple quality workmanship, pride, and toughness. Wal-Mart put them out of business! It's because they take the competitors and place them in a room for the lowest price. Having used tupperware all these years, I'm sure they weren't the only ones who Wal-Mart put out of business. Beside, when making a superior product you can't lower your price otherwise you can't pay your people. As for wal-mart it should be called chinacommerce, Wal-mart isn't always a horrible place, but for putting TUPPERWARE out of business; I prefer using them sparingly. They only produce part time work, don't supply health care, and used to suggest their employees take government assistance, if you don't read the news. Good luck to those who use Wal-Mart. I'm not sure it's in the interest of the American public anymore. Too much corp rule.
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

#51 Sep 26, 2011
Frank Lee wrote:
For those who care, a few years back, I believe something like 2007 or 2008 Tupperware went out of business. Instead of being a staple quality workmanship, pride, and toughness. Wal-Mart put them out of business! It's because they take the competitors and place them in a room for the lowest price. Having used tupperware all these years, I'm sure they weren't the only ones who Wal-Mart put out of business. Beside, when making a superior product you can't lower your price otherwise you can't pay your people. As for wal-mart it should be called chinacommerce, Wal-mart isn't always a horrible place, but for putting TUPPERWARE out of business; I prefer using them sparingly. They only produce part time work, don't supply health care, and used to suggest their employees take government assistance, if you don't read the news. Good luck to those who use Wal-Mart. I'm not sure it's in the interest of the American public anymore. Too much corp rule.
Tupperware is still around with many new products in their line. You may not have a distributor there because they don't do the house parties as much any more. It's very expensive and the dumb WalMartian cows that go to the big barn had rather buy the flimsy **** that's on the shelf that gets brittle after a short time......but it's cheaper. By the way,with Christmas on the way, the loyals can go down and load up on all the good Chinese stuff made by child and slave labor and painted with poisonous paints.Heres to good health..... Through the years,lacadasial buying practices by Americans have caused much of our problems. We reached over American made products to buy foreigh made to save a few pennies with the "so what" attitude. When factories shut down in North Carolina,no one cared. When factoriies shut down in Memphis,no one cared. When they shut down in Dallas,so what. When they shut down in New Mexico where friends and family work, DAMM, somebody do something! Too late,we brought it on ourselves,saw it coming,and did nothing.
John Gardner

Ashburn, VA

#52 Oct 10, 2011
Alice Lee--Santa Fe wrote:
...I'd rather support the "small" guy like Big Jo's True Value Hardware, who knows truly what customer service means.
Oh Yeah... Let's all go to Big Jo's and pay 40% more. Here Jo, let me give you $30 extra dollars...
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#53 Jan 11, 2012
If you love corporate welfare you gotta love walmart. They know how to get a government handout. They are also really good at getting their employees on medicaid so they don't have to provide insurance to their employees.
Honestly

Oakland, CA

#54 Jan 11, 2012
There was one study that I have not verified but it indicated that it would only impact the total wealth of the Walton family by 1% if they were to provide their employees with health care. I don't know if that is already stated on this thread. If that is true, or even close to being true, you can see for yourself where their priorities lie. This is what the occupy movement is trying to expose and have the 99% take action on, however that is done...
Irrelevant

Santa Fe, NM

#55 Jan 21, 2012
Peskime wrote:
I wonder how many new "Super" Walmart employees will be working just under the 40 hour week so they won't be eligible for health coverage and the state will have to cover these same people?
Sort of a trend for the Mega Corporation who sells cheap **** from China.
I'm an employee that receives full time hours.
Health Nut

Santa Fe, NM

#56 Jan 21, 2012
Walmart sells too much food from China and other wonderfully unregulated producer sources. I'll be damned if I eat any of that **** .
Health Nut

Santa Fe, NM

#57 Jan 21, 2012
I mean, hell...the Chinese poison their own babies with tainted formula. ****

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'I'm glad it's over': Family, friends welcome c... (Oct '08) Oct 9 Your Family 31
Rodella eyes Rio Arriba sheriff's job (Apr '09) Sep '14 Darian Valdevia 30
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Aug '14 Lynne Loss 10
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Aug '14 Suz Santa Fe 2,201
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul '14 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun '14 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE