Wal-Mart Supercenter will be a boon to Santa Fe

This is in reply to three recent letters, by Stan Bermann, John Molanphy and Barbara Aran, regarding their opposition to a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Read more
You are

Albuquerque, NM

#23 Jul 14, 2009
TruettCollins wrote:
<quoted text>
So we hear from just one more who think they are too good to shop where others do......
Where in my post did it say that I don't shop there? Where, huh, where? And by the way, Tru Value is franchise but it is a small store compared to Lowes and Home Depot. Many TVs have been put out of business by the big guys. As usual, you just spout off your mouth without knowing what you are talking about. You're just a bitter old fool, TRUETTE.
Judge Roy Bean

Bloomington, IN

#24 Jul 14, 2009
Hey Peskime: And any other parent who wants safe toys for their kids... competitively priced too.

http://www.toysmadeinamerica.com/

Since: Feb 09

Santa Fe

#25 Jul 14, 2009
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Hey Peskime: And any other parent who wants safe toys for their kids... competitively priced too.
http://www.toysmadeinamerica.com/
Judge, you're awesome, I will visit the site you sent!

How are you?

Santa Fe

#26 Jul 14, 2009
TruettCollins wrote:
<quoted text>
True value....a nation wide chain has put many small guys out of business....and you need to get over yourself...you seem to be one of those who for some strange reason think that you are too good or too far above others to shop at walmart.
A franchise OWNED by a local person/s is far different than a big box store owned by a huge corporation with a dubious reputation. Apples and oranges.

Since: Sep 08

Espanola, NM

#27 Jul 14, 2009
Peskime wrote:
<quoted text>
A franchise OWNED by a local person/s is far different than a big box store owned by a huge corporation with a dubious reputation. Apples and oranges.
The franchisers can be worse than the huge coorporations on the franchisee. The franchisees can be much more dishonest, greedy, and less sympathetic to customers than the big boys. And quite often are.

Since: Jul 09

Kihei, HI

#28 Jul 14, 2009
Being connected with True-Value is not a guarantee of success.

Perhaps the biggest advantage is that the owner doesn't have to commit lots of money into something until he can find out if it's worth it.

An example:

Years ago when Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid came out, my employer was approached to buy several hundred copies of "Raindrops". Now selling sheet music is a lot like selling newspapers. He was approached about 6 months before the movie came out and it could have easily been a big flop. Then what would he do with 100's of worthless copies? On the other hand if it turned out to be a blockbuster, 100 copies wouldn't be enough. What to do?

Were there a True-Value for the sheet music industry, he could have bought about 25 copies, and if necessary 100's more the next week. Since there was no such thing then, he bought 25 copies and it was 6 months before he could get more and by then the demand may have completely run it's course.

This is just one piece of music. Multiply this hundreds of times with other music, and you clean up or get washed out, depending.

Things are not so critical in the hardware and appliance business, having an option really helps. But they run on tight margins and do get stuck with things that don't move.
kwijibo

AOL

#29 Jul 14, 2009
After "boycotting" the cheap Chinese **** and unpleasant shopping atmosphere of Walmart for years, I went there one evening recently to check the prices at the pharmacy. The store was packed! It was full of local people, everything cost less, they had shorts for a dollar and DVDS for 3 bucks, and I left with a respectable cartload of stuff. Everyone I had reason to talk to was friendly.

Guess what??? I'm going back, and to the new supercenter as well.

Before all the upscale snootiness got out of control, I used to like most small businesses in Santa Fe. But if you're just a regular person, they aren't glad to see you.

The whole thing is backward: locals should support locals, but locals go to Walmart. I do see why that's the case.....
Judge Roy Bean

Bloomington, IN

#30 Jul 14, 2009
Peskime wrote:
<quoted text>
Judge, you're awesome, I will visit the site you sent!
How are you?
Doing Dandy!

I bought some actual metal toy trucks from one of the sponsored companies and my 2 1/2 year boy has yet to destroy it. Most are in pieces after a few days.

Back to the Topic. We have one Super Wal Mart here as well as many Mom and Pop Stores. It is located way out of the way but we do our "basics" shopping once a month there because the prices are very good on stock provisions and cleaning supplies as well as work and play clothes.

Because we save on these items we choose to buy our meat from a local butcher at his store (Butcher Block Bill who in my mind ranks right up there with the great Art of Art's Market and before that Butch Croshaw), our veggies at the Farmer's Market where we have a met a woman who has agreed to provide us with 5 bushels of green chili each year which she grows in the sandy hot basin near the Wabash. Roasted- as good as Socorro.

Okay back on topic - more to the point. Here, at least the Wal Mart does serve as a resource especially for the less fortunate but it's become somewhat of a meeting place for groups and organizations who serve the community. Wal Mart doesn't mind if you want to have a High School Car Wash or Cookie Sale for the XYZ club or need to park and ride in their lot. They are part and parcel of the community and seem to offer quite a bit back to it.
truchas

AOL

#31 Jul 14, 2009
Exactly....Ironically, shopping at Walmart leaves you with some money left over to spend at a local business of your choice if you want.

Santa Fe

#32 Jul 14, 2009
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The franchisers can be worse than the huge coorporations on the franchisee. The franchisees can be much more dishonest, greedy, and less sympathetic to customers than the big boys. And quite often are.
Did you own a franchise?
Cynic

Albuquerque, NM

#33 Jul 14, 2009
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention that you will likely be buying the same cheap chinese cr4p from a local dept. store as you would from Wal-Mart. The unfortunate truth is that it's impossible to compete with a supply chain like Wal-Mart's, so most competitors have simply started buying from the same vendors.

The real issue here is trading principle for price. I suppose if the only thing you think about in your life is money, then that's irrelevant. Our economy has gone from being mostly industrial to mostly service based, and it's all downhill from here.

Some people DO think about personal and social responsibility, even if you don't.

Espanola, NM

#34 Jul 14, 2009
Peskime wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you own a franchise?
No, but knew many that did. Have also noticed a difference in patronizing establishments that were franchises and directly owned, such as Firestone. You received much better customer satisfaction from the directly owned ones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchising
Beck

Albuquerque, NM

#35 Jul 14, 2009
I truly hate walmart...
Sanchez ta Feun

Albuquerque, NM

#36 Jul 14, 2009
I hope that WallMart sells them 120 packs of Bud Lite for the same price as the locals sell the 100 packs. Also the local stores just aint doin too good a job at keeping ladies camo underwear in stock. I just kain't seem 'ta not get all giddy when I buy a 12 pack of tight white undies, Rx eyeglasses, pistol ammo and a big sack of green leafy lettuce all at the same place... all on my Walmart Mastercard. Soon Santa Fe is go-B cool as Hobbs!!!! Man, just think 'bout it.. a 100 pound sack 'o ice and a diamond ring and a wireless router all at the same place.
Sancho

Anaheim, CA

#37 Jul 14, 2009
Sanchez ta Feun wrote:
Man, just think 'bout it.. a 100 pound sack 'o ice and a diamond ring and a wireless router all at the same place.
I am going to take your woman after you buy her all those wonderful items. Sancho thanks you.
your name here

Santa Fe, NM

#38 Jul 15, 2009
does anyone know when they are going to start on the new super walmart? it is a go ? right? I sure hope so! tired of fighting with everyone at the current walmart, just too small for the entire city
whatever

Gilbert, AZ

#39 Jul 15, 2009
I'm glad they are opening the Super Walmart, and I don't see how it will effect the current state of small business around Santa Fe, BUT I do predict the Super Walmart as becomming an easy blame. Who cares though, Walmart is as heartless as they come, blame who you want Walmart is still rolling in with the best prices.
Also, that Hobbs post had me laughing out loud here in the office, thanks for that. Was quite funny.

AOL

#40 Jul 15, 2009
your name here wrote:
does anyone know when they are going to start on the new super walmart? it is a go ? right? I sure hope so! tired of fighting with everyone at the current walmart, just too small for the entire city
I think everything was a go, but the group wanting to stop the super Walmart is once again going to apeal in court. It should be open for my 100th birthday I hope.
Sanchez ta Feun

Albuquerque, NM

#41 Jul 15, 2009
Sancho wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to take your woman after you buy her all those wonderful items. Sancho thanks you.
Orale Sancho, I picked her up at the Walmart tambien, along with a Al Hurricane CD, a garden weesel amd some Lipitor pills...alachingada!
Sancho

Anaheim, CA

#42 Jul 16, 2009
Sanchez ta Feun wrote:
<quoted text>
Orale Sancho, I picked her up at the Walmart tambien, along with a Al Hurricane CD, a garden weesel amd some Lipitor pills...alachingada!
Sapo! More for Sancho after you drink all the 120 packs of beer you bought cheap from Wal-Mart and get arrested. Sancho will dance with your woman to the Al Hurricane CD. Sancho likes "La Mucura."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Living with voices: S.F. man copes with schizop... (Dec '08) Feb 25 LucitaAranda 34
News Beaver Toyota relocation plan hits annex snag (Nov '08) Feb '15 Hoka Huste 50
News Pro-choice stance a deal breaker for these Demo... (Oct '08) Jan '15 apodacamel 15
News Small-scale room design tips (Apr '09) Jan '15 Pavlos Lombardi 2
News Santa Fe Horse Park co-owner to lose home to fo... (Feb '09) Jan '15 sharonk 16
News Snow Trax: Ski season wraps up (Mar '09) Dec '14 Paul Szeman 12
News 'The Awakening' lies dormant amid legal dispute (Oct '09) Dec '14 cfb 26
More from around the web